• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Despise Beginner Questions

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since the despicable quiver looks so great, I decided to try out Despise's new system. The results were far [very far] from perfect. So, I am hoping someone who has had much more success than me (not hard) could help with a few questions I have to hopefully lead me in the right direction.

1. First of all, is it even plausible to solo the Glorious/Dread Lord? I took my pure mage down there, to cast Greater Heals on my creature. Is this the best template for Despise? Is this the best tactic for defeating the Lord?
  2. For each side (Evil, Good) what is the best creature type to use - esp. solo against one of the Glorious/Dread Lords? I went with Naba, but he was tough to keep alive against Adrian.
  3. How do you get your creature to attack a specific target? Or better yet, how do you get your creature to attack the same alignment? "All Kill" was rather ineffective for me. I finally got my creature to attack cross alignment creatures (read: Good), but I would really want to get my creature to level 15 before the final fight, and not 10. And that takes getting the Naba to attack evil creatures, from what I understand...
  4. How do I make UO stop asking me to approve a criminal activity? I was trying to heal the Naba, but every time I had to approve the activity (my character was Evil, so of course I want to approve it anyway!). I thought I previously saw an option when left-clicking on the character to disable the warning, but in my entire time in Despise last night, I couldn't find it again. This is why I think I stood 0 chance to ultimately kill the Glorious Lord. (Classic Client, btw.)
Thanks for any help! Oh, and I am on Chesapeake, so if anyone wants to try Despise, let me know.

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Soloing is near impossible. The boss has too much HP and the trained pets don't do enough dmg. Mage heals is definately the way to go. Spellweave/Mage is better because of the Gift of Renewal to heal and Word of Death (on the wisps only). The key is to get the boss discorded. If you have a mage/bard, you might be able to solo it. It depends on your mana regen. It definately can be done with 2 people.

2. You most definately want to use a Tank pet, and always lvl 14 or 15. If you don't have a bard player, then your 2nd pet must be a discording pet. If your players are Positive Karma, you will want to select and train negative karma pets. The Nightmare is a good tank or the 2 headed wolf (Tsuki wolf). The discording pets are the Phantoms. If your players are Negative Karma, you will want to select and train positive karma pets. The Ursadane (bear) is a good tank and the Sileni (satyr) is the discorder.

3. The pets are controlled by the gem in your backpack. Dble click the gem and target your pet to change from Aggressive/Defensive. When your pet is near another mob it will attack on its own. Regular pet commands don't work. If it aggroes a mob far away, switch to defensive briefly, then back to aggressive.

4. I play the EC, so I'm not sure exactly where in the user interface main window you switch off the Criminal Activity gump. I'm sure it's still there, so keep looking.

** Tactics to use is to keep pets on defensive when you lure out the boss. Aggressive the Silenni to get it to fight the boss and cast discord. When boss is discorded, defensive the Silenni and aggressive the Tank pet. Once the Tank pet has aggro, Aggressive the Silenni for additional DPS.

Remember you cannot dmg the Boss and will be teleported to him if you try. Keep all your offensive damage to the wisp. (You still get chances of an artie drop from the wisp)

Two Necro Mages with highly negative karma, both with Shadow Wisp familiars will rarely run out of mana while spamming heals. 1 can heal while the other damages the wisp.

My record with just 2 players using the above tactics is 5 wisps and boss kill in about 40 minutes.

Good luck.

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you, Leira of Arai, for taking the time to make such a great response! I think I will work on this much more now that I have a better feel for the system. I'll continue to look for the option to turn off the negative action gump, as well.

However, I am still a little leery on getting the creature to attack same-alignment creatures. I could get the Naba to follow one, but not attack it. :( Oh well, definitely worth a second try. And maybe I'll just work on killing the wisps while I have a tank keep the boss busy. Drops will be rare, but possible...

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alright, just tried it again, and the results, why still resulting in the same demise, were relatively much better!

I found the criminal activity gump option and was able to disable it. I also now better understand the "trick" of grabbing a good creature with my evil character (went with unicorn) and had it all the way up 15. When I made my way to the final boss, I summoned a group of imps and had them and the unicorn on the wisp. But he was stronger than I thought - and even with 40 LMC, 120 meditation, and some MR (~7), I was unable to spam GHeals while also trying attack the wisp and casting a few spellweaving spells.

Alas, my unicorn died w/o taking down any wisps. You aren't kidding when you say to bring a bard. That will have to be for the next try...

Thanks again for the wonderful responses.

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Without discording the boss/wisp, there isn't enough time to do enough dmg to kill the boss and it's nearly impossible to heal through.

My most effective combo has been the Ursadane and Sileni.
As a necro/mage against the wisp I corpse skin, poison, strangle and fireball.
With two necromancers there, each with a shadow wisp familiar, we never run out of mana spamming spells.

When I take my positive karma character, I usually run out of mana and have to actively meditate.

Good luck.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When I took my disco/provo tamer down there, I was, after both were discoed, able to provo the wisp on the boss, but it took a LOT of attempts and invises on fails.

I then stepped back and used GH on whichever pet was tanking the boss.