• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Desperation Part 5

Caine Family

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Britain, the capital of Britannia. The city was lined with magnificent stone buildings intermixed with sturdy wood and plaster shops. The city of Compassion, full of accessible beauty. The river that ran through the city was gentle, the waves of royal blue crept towards Lord Blackthorne's castle as the rising sun was like orange paint on a blue canvas. The way the sun shone off the rippling water, its golden light warped in the twisted glass waves. Few words could express the beauty of Britain. Yet, this was not home.

Mason took to resting on a large tree outside the city walls, his breathing was deep having already traveled so far. Its green leaves blew with the breeze of the wind, dancing with the grace of a ballerina. The leaves sparkled with morning dew. He knew he had to carry on, his family would be beyond worried.

"How many days has it been, A week, a month?"

The stone had taken him this far, it was a gift but from who? Mason placed the stone gently down beside an old tree. "Thank you" he whispered.

The pathway lay before him, in time Mason would be home. The road leading from the city had been built in the days of wealth and grandeur. Once it had been a marvel, now it was simply a long path of stones with grass and weeds growing between them. It resembled more of a dirt covered path worn down by horses and wagons.

The path was covered in shade from the woodland trees, flowers of many vibrant colors scattered the edges of the pathway. In the distance he could see the blue silhouette of mountains that were home to the shrine of Compassion. The forest began to thin out the further Mason walked.

The once tall trees gradually faded from sight as Mason now approached the foul, dank marshlands. Rotting tree stumps covered in fungus replaced the lush greenery. The wind stirred the smell of the swamp, filling Mason's lunges with an unsavory scent. The hard foot path all but vanished beneath the stagnant water. Meters felt like miles as the landscape became difficult to navigate.

"I must stay true to my path, I will not be lost to this swamp" Mason spoke out loud, attempting to give himself confidence enough to push forward.

Soon, the marshlands were behind him and the pathway once again became clear. In the distance the sound of waves crashing against the shore could be heard, Cove was close. The ferns near Cove were like green fountains, the grass shimmering with colors of poppy dust. The ocean was a deep blue mixed with emerald and ran along side the pathway.

"I am home" Finally a smile appeared on Masons face.

Cove Landing was built between the two great cities of Vesper and Britain. It's design was to be used as a last stronghold against the orc hordes if Cove should ever fall. A place the people of Cove could always find hope and salvation. Only the strongest Covian men and women would sent here to train. Typical soldiers trained against straw dummies but not a Covian soldier, they practiced steel against steel. Discipline, Strength and Courage was their mantra.

"Train like you Fight" Their father always said. Words the Captain of the guard spoke quite often, a philosophy he truly believed in.

Something was off, Mason could sense it. Patrols normally could be seen riding between the roads of Cove and the fortification. Fewer watchmen could be seen upon the stone walls. Where were his sisters, Thea normally could be heard yelling at the young recruits in the courtyard. Melody, should have greeted him by now with open arms.

"Mason, Mason Caine is that you?" Yelled a Covian Guard.

Mason barley had time to see who spoke before the guard spoke once again
"You must ride with haste to Cove, Thea, Your sisters wait for you there at the healers." The Covian Guard shouted.

Mason Nodded and quickly made his way to the stables. Mounting a white mare, Mason rode with speed toward Cove. Bodies of both orc and man laid scattered on the road, their blood pooled in the natural divots of the earth. War had started and Mason feared the worst for his family.

The healer's building was chaotic, overflowing with the injured. Though the Covian healers were among the best in Britannia they had not seen this many casualties in quite some time. In the corner of the room Melody sat sleeping in a chair, Thea laid silent in the small bed next to her.

"My sisters." His once gleaming smile quickly faded and was now masked behind a sea of emotions.

"Melody. Please, tell me what has transpired in my absence. Please, Wake."

Mason Caine,
The Covian Guard

Last edited:

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
“Azi, what are you doing here? Should you not be with the Mage Mason?”

A soft rustling hush was the answer to Avalon. Furrowing her brows she listened to all that the raw uncut emerald had to speak. The name it used was Azi, and it had acted as a guide to the Caine Mage. Delivering him safely to roads more familiar the Emerald thought the mage would simply keep him. It was not the case.

Mason set the emerald back in the ground whispering words of gratitude. It was lovely to be nestled in the earth, yet that was not Azi’s purpose. He was meant to remain with the mage. Returning to Avalon was the only course of action.

“Your tale is rather exciting, I will report these utterances and return you to the Mage Mason. Perhaps he required an understanding as to why you joined him. I will explain. You will be used properly, fear nay.”

Slipping the stone into a pocket Avalon took flight to speak with those she needed to give report. Then she would find Mason.