• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Desolate

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started playing UO in Janusry 2000 and played Drach exclusively during that time. I let my 3 accounts lapse in around Oct 2008 and my houses fell in Jan 2009.

I came back about 6 months later and have been migrating my characters 1 at a time from Drach to Europa as Europa seemed more populated. I have another of my characters ready to move (7 down, 5 to go) and before activating the transfer token I tok a final look around drach, for nostalgia and looking for some vendors. I was shocked to say the least as to how low the housing count was.

There are free spots around Zento, free spots (18x18) right outside Umbra west gate. Multiple 18x18 spots along Umbra west road, multiple 18x18 spots all the way down Luna south road ... the amount of free space is incredible. The shard is almost desolate.

Its sad to see. Whilst I know a lot of people like a quiet shard, this goes beyond that. Drach was always a quiet shard, even at its peak. But now .. its dead. I think Drach must now be down at the botom of the pile as far as populous is concerned .. right alongside Oceana and Origin.

*sigh* sad to see but im off to Europa now anyways .. its alive.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't count playing people on the houses around the world. Its not because there houses everywhere that those peopel actualy are playing.

We notice on events like the invasion in Luna how many people at ones can show up. We also noticed on the record of the zoo for how long we kept it at the highest Tier , even before the changed of the decay rate, how well the shard can work together. We have the longest record of having it full and also the highest amount total. Not bad for a small shard, not even the huge shards like Europe and Atlantic came even close to what we did.

Maybe you like to count how many people are standing at the bank during the day in Luna? But maybe we are people who to busy doing stuff around the workd instead of being a ornament of the bank.

You leaving Drachs for more people? I'm sure you will find them. I just hope for you , you find more goodhearted and dedicated people on other shard then you can find on Drachs.

I realy dislike people who are leaving and then have the nerf to kick us in the teeth. :(

D

Danger Mouse

Man, if there are soo many open housing spots, why cant I find a spot to place a lousy keep?

18x18's are WAY overrated in my opinion. Theres nothing like the classic lines of the original housing.

If all there was to a shard was the amount of players wouldn't we just all play the same shard? Anyway, good luck on Europa.

L

Legacyee

I aggree with Frarc and Danger Mouse

But I do play Europa as well and it has a different type of player, which dictates a different type of play style, so you can't really judge one on the other

Drachenfels is unique, and thats why my home is and always will be here

D

Der Rock

We notice on events like the invasion in Luna how many people at ones can show up.

and do you notice that 50% or more of them are shardhoppers ??
:(

all shards are almost dead,even the biggest shards have problems to get 100 player together on main events.

without shardhoppers most shards would be realy dead :(

if SA dont change this massive, i have absolute no faith for the future of uo :(

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I realy dislike people who are leaving and then have the nerf to kick us in the teeth. :(
Sorry Frarc .. i meant neither to nerf or kick you all in the teeth. I still have a soft spot for Drach and always will. Its where I started and where I played most (all) of my UO for nearly 9 years.

What I was trying to say was that it has just changed so much since back in the day. And whilst I agree that housing count isnt everything, it certainly is indicative of population .. the 2 are intrinsically linked. Luna vendors are a nother giveaway .. on Drach they are sparse to say the least. Also take a look at the UO Trade Europe forum ... its all Europa with barely the odd post for someone with goods to trade or buy on Drach.

I like my MMO's to feel like im actually in an MMO ... with other players to interact with ... Drach doesnt seem to have that anymore. Sure you can point to the events but its the same on any shard. Run an event and people will turn up. But the true indicator is how many other people you see in game doing 'normal' stuff. Ive toured all the popular spawn spots on Drach this week .. all dead. Luna bank ... dead. Shopping areas ... dead.

Again this is not a dig at Drach .. its just the sad state of affairs that UO has become on many shards. I think theres only about half a dozen left with populations that actually make it feel like an MMO rather than a single player game.

N

Nenime

Siteswap, you don't have to defend yourself for your decision. It's a game and a game is supposed to be fun. You think you will have more fun on another, more populated shard. That's good for you. It's just like that. Basta!

But how do you think we should feel about your post? It's a bit like a husband telling his wife after years of marriage: "Ok, you've became too old now. I will leave you for a younger wife." Although it is understandable, it's hurts. And it's no constructive criticism because there's nothing we can do about it. So if you wanna leave, fine. But no armageddon prophecies please.

But in regard of your OP I think you just wanted to say goodbye, isn't it? Sad to see you leave and I'm sure a lot of people will miss you. I wish you all the best at Europa. Good speed! :)

N

Nenime

Just to clear this before it goes into the archives:

- Housing situation: Frarc already adressed this.
- Banksitters and other population indicators: the same. Plus, people have a life.
- Luna vendors: I'm really happy that on our shard Luna is NOT the megastore like it is on other shards. Here you have to search vendor spots in the outback and eventually you will find your Powerscrolls or Artifact. And if not - God forbit! - you will have to earn it with your own blood. :p
- UOTrade, Stratics UO Trade forum: As you know, Forum posters has always been a minority amongst the communities. Rare posts doesn't necessarily indicate thin trading.
- Solitude: Well, there you made a point. If you're into mass action, DF might not be the place for you. Me, I like to alternate in doing all kind of activities. Sometimes I seek company, sometimes I don't. Here on DF you can go to popular hunting spots and have a decent chance that it is available. And that's what I like about Drachenfels.

and do you notice that 50% or more of them are shardhoppers ?? :(
No, no, no and once more no! :talktothehand: I don't think it's true anyway but statements like this will do no good. It will lead to an elitist 'this-is-MY-shard' attitude especially towards English-speaking players. I saw them asking something, polite and friendly, and they didn't get any answer, sometimes the one they had spoken to just teleport away. A despicable behaviour on any shard but completely untypical for DF players. :cursing:

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But in regard of your OP I think you just wanted to say goodbye, isn't it? Sad to see you leave and I'm sure a lot of people will miss you. I wish you all the best at Europa. Good speed! :)
Thanks Nenime ... I think youve hit the nail on the head. Although I'm enjoying Europa a great deal, and its re-invigorated UO for me, I am feeling a little sad and a little nostalgic about leaving Drach. Maybe thats what caused me to muse here in public about why i'm leaving. I would have stayed without a shadow of doubt had I not felt the need to find more player interaction.

To those still on Drach ... Farewell, thanks, and I hope you'll all continue to enjoy playing Drach.