• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Delete useless skills? Automatic 120 Wrestle? Click here!

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I imagine this will catch a lot of flack but was just thinking about it. Yeah there are a ton of useless skills out there now like item ID, they could and should be deleted. That's it for that, not gonna bother elaborating.

Now on top of that.

Wrestling! So I thought, why not just have people be defaulted legendary 120 wrestle? Obviously the 120 wrestling is kind of "hidden" and won't account for any skill points (kind of like the human +20 skill bonus) I think this would let people get a bit more creative with templates and on top of that, the disarm stuff really isn't an issue. It'll stop people from doing damage with a weapon if they're relying on weapons but no more disarm for the easy hits against etc.

Short and sweet. Thoughts?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Okay - you've hit kind of a sore spot with me. Skill removal is not an easy task in some cases, but let me just use Item ID as an example.

Some folks would like to see a retro/classic/vanilla/oldies setup for somewhen prior to AOS. While the odds of that are the same as a snowball in Hell, if such a thing went into production, Item ID would be a necessity to derive mods that would NOT be readily visible. Myself, there's so much crap on the tags now, I'd like to see that shortened and Item ID used to derive the remainder - and for this I would say 0 skill to read.

Let's try another that may be on your list - Camping. This along with some firewood and a bedroll allows you to safely log out in the wilds once you establish camp. For someone RPing a Ranger or Scout type, this is needed.

See, I don't know how long you have played ... but that's okay. To a newer player some of these skill make no sense because they've changed things to make them currently invalid - on the surface. Remember that this is actually an Role-Play game to many. The "dead" skills have a purpose.

SlayerofBunnys

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Camping was also useful if you had a red but no Fel house back before the cities became red friendly.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wrestling! So I thought, why not just have people be defaulted legendary 120 wrestle? Obviously the 120 wrestling is kind of "hidden" and won't account for any skill points (kind of like the human +20 skill bonus) I think this would let people get a bit more creative with templates and on top of that, the disarm stuff really isn't an issue. It'll stop people from doing damage with a weapon if they're relying on weapons but no more disarm for the easy hits against etc.
So basically you're asking for 840 skill points to spend. Why not remove the skill cap as a whole?

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There should be a hard cap on skiall points of 720 I feel or allow us to go up to 840 hard capped
This way all players can be on the same footing as the Uber rich

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
While we're adjusting skills... just remove PS and go back to 700 cap.

Melee templates (Non-sampire) need to be seriously looked at. There is very little content they can do.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

Melee templates (Non-sampire) need to be seriously looked at. There is very little content they can do.
i have no idea what your talking about right now.
i have no issues doing any of the content with my melee guys.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I imagine this will catch a lot of flack but was just thinking about it. Yeah there are a ton of useless skills out there now like item ID, they could and should be deleted. That's it for that, not gonna bother elaborating.

Now on top of that.

Short and sweet. Thoughts?
why should people be default Legendary in Wrestling?
the only thing anyone is default in would be Legendary in sitting on the couch watching TV.

It'll stop people from doing damage with a weapon if they're relying on weapons
but..... what if they are a warrior?
so you want to kill off an entire class of player because... what your lazy and dont like getting hit?

you know what, your entire post is not logical at all and i dont even want to waste any sort of effort to mount a retort.
i shall, in this case, default to my Legendary Couch Potato status and leave.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I do think that if you have GMed or above in the past you should be able to set skills who really wants to work Tailoring or Poisoning again when they did it once ten years ago the hard way...

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gosh i remember when Wrestling was one of the most powerful skills - till the pvp people complained and it was nerfed.

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Okay - you've hit kind of a sore spot with me. Skill removal is not an easy task in some cases, but let me just use Item ID as an example.

Some folks would like to see a retro/classic/vanilla/oldies setup for somewhen prior to AOS. While the odds of that are the same as a snowball in Hell, if such a thing went into production, Item ID would be a necessity to derive mods that would NOT be readily visible. Myself, there's so much crap on the tags now, I'd like to see that shortened and Item ID used to derive the remainder - and for this I would say 0 skill to read.

Let's try another that may be on your list - Camping. This along with some firewood and a bedroll allows you to safely log out in the wilds once you establish camp. For someone RPing a Ranger or Scout type, this is needed.

See, I don't know how long you have played ... but that's okay. To a newer player some of these skill make no sense because they've changed things to make them currently invalid - on the surface. Remember that this is actually an Role-Play game to many. The "dead" skills have a purpose.
There is never going to be an old school version of Uo by EA - They literally devoted one of their monthly newsletters to it after Vanilla WoW was announced.

So basically you're asking for 840 skill points to spend. Why not remove the skill cap as a whole?

why should people be default Legendary in Wrestling?
the only thing anyone is default in would be Legendary in sitting on the couch watching TV.

but..... what if they are a warrior?
so you want to kill off an entire class of player because... what your lazy and dont like getting hit?

you know what, your entire post is not logical at all and i dont even want to waste any sort of effort to mount a retort.
i shall, in this case, default to my Legendary Couch Potato status and leave.
I am not asking for an 840 cap. As an example, a warrior in pvp gets disarmed by another warrior, they automatically get hit every single time because 0% wrestling skill until they can re-arm. This basically lets them get re-armed and fighting and not killed so quickly. Some people might not like that idea, but I think it's good. All disarm effectively accomplishes at that point is preventing people doing damage with a weapon.

I also do like that it would open up the option for players to try new templates out.

Generally I find people don't like seeing change in this game though.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Gorath ... who said there would be? I distinctly stated a snowballs chance, did I not? I used the desires as a basis why I felt your idea was flawed.

Ummm, it appears you are wanting this so that your PvP might be adjusted to avoid getting disarmed? What about those who do not want to PvP? Why should they get this change made to their play style? Now, I will be the first to admit I have not tangled with half the foe in this game ... so educate me where 120 Wrestle would help a PvE player.

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@Gorath ... who said there would be? I distinctly stated a snowballs chance, did I not? I used the desires as a basis why I felt your idea was flawed.

Ummm, it appears you are wanting this so that your PvP might be adjusted to avoid getting disarmed? What about those who do not want to PvP? Why should they get this change made to their play style? Now, I will be the first to admit I have not tangled with half the foe in this game ... so educate me where 120 Wrestle would help a PvE player.
I just don't see things like item ID, camping, herding etc doing much anymore.

Now in terms of me getting disarmed? Not really worried to be honest, my account has been deactivated for a while, I do pop on here or my icq from time to time, chat etc. So the odd idea abut the game will pop into my head. Now in terms of having an invisible 120 wrestling on a pve character?

Sampires won't notice it
Mages I guess won't need to use 120 skill points and can use it for something else? (More variety of templates)

It won't hurt the PVE community.

StarstrukK

Adventurer

Now in terms of me getting disarmed? Not really worried to be honest, my account has been deactivated for a while, I do pop on here or my icq from time to time, chat etc. So the odd idea abut the game will pop into my head. Now in terms of having an invisible 120 wrestling on a pve character?

Sampires won't notice it
Mages I guess won't need to use 120 skill points and can use it for something else? (More variety of templates)

You are out of touch with the game the last thing mages need is an extra 120 skill points to devote to other skills.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Sampires won't notice it

Ummm herding is a very useful skill and camping can be useful Item ID could use some love. Wonders what it is about these skills that you find so offending?

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You are out of touch with the game the last thing mages need is an extra 120 skill points to devote to other skills.
Don't think it's changed that much in the last 9 months.

Ummm herding is a very useful skill and camping can be useful Item ID could use some love. Wonders what it is about these skills that you find so offending?
If there are more then 10 people that have GM in either skill with active accounts or log in regularly to that specific character I would love to hear about it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't think it's changed that much in the last 9 months.

If there are more then 10 people that have GM in either skill with active accounts or log in regularly to that specific character I would love to hear about it.
I have herding... use it from time to time... as for item ID was something I GMed ages ago... still have it.

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have herding... use it from time to time... as for item ID was something I GMed ages ago... still have it.
So that is your main or a character you log on with relatively frequently? What do you do in game with the character?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So that is your main or a character you log on with relatively frequently? What do you do in game with the character?
It's on one of my tamers I do log in rather frequently... And she sometimes attends Briella's walk on GLs when the EM do that...

She mostly just rounds up animals... sometimes being mischievous about it... it's fun to ..... move things around sometimes. Just for the fun of it.

I believe one time I did this:

White Wolf Roundup.jpg

Just because...

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sometimes I wonder if we are all playing the same game. Mages don't need more skill points, which is what you are effectively doing. I wish they would put the tactics requirements back to 70/90.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have GM herding on 7 accounts and use it regularly when taming things in hostile places. Camping I keep as a option on most of my Siege characters that can't Gate, handy skill when you are going to be way out in places where there are no public portals or tiles and plan to be there for a day or three. While herding is not required as a tamer it sure makes life easier to have it than not.

Just because the skills are there and you don't use them does not mean everyone does not use them. Except for Item ID which is functionally useless at this point in history but that does not mean it will always be useless.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What makes this arbitrary thing a measurement of how useful a skill is. At some point, someone is going to want it. I'd rather it be there.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have long said that meditation and focus should be "secondary skills". Some also believe that they should have raised the skillcap to 800 (or more) than doing the masteries.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They should lower it back to 700 and remove power scrolls.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Wrestling stacked with parry might be the best build for group fighting in the game. It could use a buff, maybe a claw or some gloves that allow you to do special moves. But my wrestler mage can easily kill any dexxer in uo. Or force them to continually run away.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gosh i remember when Wrestling was one of the most powerful skills - till the pvp people complained and it was nerfed.
Uhhh... When was wrestling one of the most powerful skills?? Moreover, when did it ever have any real use outside of pvp??

It has always been a support/defense skill, and really only in pvp. Unless someone was so bad at being a pvm mage that they couldn't avoid monsters melee range somehow.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's on one of my tamers I do log in rather frequently... And she sometimes attends Briella's walk on GLs when the EM do that...

She mostly just rounds up animals... sometimes being mischievous about it... it's fun to ..... move things around sometimes. Just for the fun of it.

I believe one time I did this:

View attachment 78262

Just because...
I'm surprised that didnt crash the shard lol

I remember when you had an unlimited amount of taming slots and I had maybe 15 horses and the game started to flicker lol my friends were like crash the shard! I'm like no...I'm not going to chance that lol so I released them

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm surprised that didnt crash the shard lol

I remember when you had an unlimited amount of taming slots and I had maybe 15 horses and the game started to flicker lol my friends were like crash the shard! I'm like no...I'm not going to chance that lol so I released them
Herding is a lot of fun... but sadly you can't take them by boat or through a gate... but it's still fun... On Briella's walk she often starts gathering "friends" on the trip from Yew to Minoc... which most people are mean and kill but it is entertaining...

I've herded every dragon in Destard to the pond a couple times. I hear it's fun to do that at the entrance in Fel... but I haven't done that yet. What's really fun is to get them to follow one another... like a big dragon snake...

Syncros

Adventurer
I wouldnt care if they got removed like OP said. Given by default for all with some other associated skills is fine.

A class shouldnt be a jack of all things aside from a crafter. Look at Sampires that shouldnt have been possible and yet still is.