• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[BUG] Deep sea texture glitch

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Running UO EC under wine on Linux - graphics all seem to be there and fine except for the deep sea texture. See the screenshot below. This isn't restricted to any particular area it shows up black whenever my boat is in deep sea.

I'm hoping there is some sort of fix. I've already tried reinstalling and patching the EC from scratch, including the checking files option when it patched too. But the sea is still black :( I have no texture issues anywhere else which is just bizarre.

Anything I can try to fix this?

Wenchy
brokensea.jpg

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Running UO EC under wine on Linux - graphics all seem to be there and fine except for the deep sea texture. See the screenshot below. This isn't restricted to any particular area it shows up black whenever my boat is in deep sea.

I'm hoping there is some sort of fix. I've already tried reinstalling and patching the EC from scratch, including the checking files option when it patched too. But the sea is still black :( I have no texture issues anywhere else which is just bizarre.

Anything I can try to fix this?

Wenchy
View attachment 15108
Interesting.... Only thing I can suggest is make sure your system has a current back up just in case.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting.... Only thing I can suggest is make sure your system has a current back up just in case.
Fortunately I'm always a bit paranoid about backing up so if there is a hardware issue then it's ok. I'm more suspicious of this being a texture issue though, it's specifically this texture only in UO that is missing and it's appeared on 2, maybe 3 different PC builds hehehe. I'm thinking it's either some issue with linux or Nvidia drivers or there's something about that texture that my systems are not liking...

Tried fiddling with graphics settings, even renamed my user settings folder to get a default set.. still no sea lol.

*gets a hammer*

Wenchy

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Only answer I really have is to make sure that the drivers are up to date, or if they are, maybe try one version behind that one. I've had some odd effects happen when I updated nvidia drivers from time to time (usually having the grid view "band" tearing through underneath the container where it should be hidden). Anyway, reinstalling drivers would be the place I would start.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Running UO EC under wine on Linux - graphics all seem to be there and fine except for the deep sea texture. ...
Nvidia has a Linux Update tool to install the latest drivers, but I have AMD and can't help with Nvidia. Which version of Linux are you using? Where can I get instructions to install EC under wine? I am using LinuxMint KDE 14, and willing to give it a shot to see if I get the same graphical glitch.

Usually when I get the black area under Windows, I can't even walk into the blackened area, and have to recall out of the area to fix it - even reloading the screen won't work for me.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nvidia has a Linux Update tool to install the latest drivers, but I have AMD and can't help with Nvidia. Which version of Linux are you using? Where can I get instructions to install EC under wine? I am using LinuxMint KDE 14, and willing to give it a shot to see if I get the same graphical glitch.

Usually when I get the black area under Windows, I can't even walk into the blackened area, and have to recall out of the area to fix it - even reloading the screen won't work for me.
Hehe, typical luck I'm running Nvidia rather than AMD. Graphics card is a GeForce GTS 250.

The black sea I'm getting just acts like the texture itself is missing, I can sail onto it just fine. It is really a case of everything is normal except it's black. I reinstalled just because I thought perhaps that texture file was corrupted or something, but nope, it's not that simple.

I had a bit of a test with a few distros I have installed and different driver versions, unfortunately all are coming up with the same black sea glitch. Even when I tried using a 32 bit distro to check it wasn't some issue with 64 bit installs, same problem. I think this black sea is determined to follow me lol!

So far I've tested: Linux Mint 14 64bit KDE with 304.88-0ubuntu0.1
Bodhi with Nvidia 310.19-ubuntu1~xedger
Mint 15 Cinnamon with Nvidia 310.44-ubuntu2
and just for good measure I threw the new Kubuntu Alpha 1 on a partition and tested it with the experimental Nvidia-319 driver.

I can't remember if I had this glitch when I briefly ran AMD on linux. The only thing I can think of is maybe this texture is animated in some way that might not render right on Nivida with Linux, it just seems so specific that it's weird. It's so long since I've seen deep sea I can't remember what it looks like lol.

Wenchy

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
... I can't remember if I had this glitch when I briefly ran AMD on linux. The only thing I can think of is maybe this texture is animated in some way that might not render right on Nivida with Linux, it just seems so specific that it's weird. It's so long since I've seen deep sea I can't remember what it looks like lol.

Wenchy
Wow, sounds like you've done just about everything you needed to trying to get it to work.

Are you running Wine on your desktop or under a VM? I know that I get some funky graphics at times with VMware, in that the AMD drivers don't pass through. And past versions of LM-KDE didn't like the proprietary AMD drivers at all, but LM14 seems to have fixed that.

So in other words, enjoy your special black ocean graphics!

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, sounds like you've done just about everything you needed to trying to get it to work.

Are you running Wine on your desktop or under a VM? I know that I get some funky graphics at times with VMware, in that the AMD drivers don't pass through. And past versions of LM-KDE didn't like the proprietary AMD drivers at all, but LM14 seems to have fixed that.

So in other words, enjoy your special black ocean graphics!
Just running wine fully installed, no VM so yeah it does look like I'm going to be sailing the seas in the dark ;)

I'll stock up on lanterns and oil, it'll be fine!

Wenchy