• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Deceit Reward Rings

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, I have never been able to justify fitting these rings into any of my main characters templates. The 75% DI is tempting, but so much to lose on normal jewels (DCI, HCI, etc).

What is the appeal of these? Is there anyone here who uses them & would share how they fit these into their template - I have always been curious about this. I may buy them just to say I have them.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I used the Kotl ring and mask when making new characters to do the Shrine Battles. I would eat a 110 magery scroll so my Evs would cast with fewer failures. I only needed 90 skill to get 110. Also threw explode potions. It worked great for that.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have the Kata ring on my necro tamer. +20 necro, +10 meditation, and 20% SDI along with MR is a pretty valuable combo.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm right there with you, I have never been able to fit them on my suits. I could probably build a suit that would work around them, but my suits as they stand couldn't fit them in and wouldn't benefit from them.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't understand the Silver Ring.

On the other hand, I count people who think that they can't use Katakotl's Ring as either dedicated warrior-only types, or not having an imagination when it comes to playing a caster on regular shards (Siege, OTOH, I understand why you'd not invest the work in getting it).

It's what makes many triple caster templates viable. In my case, my mystic/mage/weaver uses one set to Mysticism. That way, I have 120 Mysticism, 120 Magery, 120 Eval, 120 Weaving, 120 Focus, and (depending on what I'm doing with the character at the time) either 120 Fishing or 100 Inscription (remainder in Med). The synergies between the casting skills' spells can be incredible. I've seen others I know running similar casting templates (no fishing), with necro instead of one of the other casting skills (or even instead of Inscription, going for quad caster). After all, you really only need 120 real in the skill that you have you use your mastery from. And, while I might lack a bit in luck (I've never believed it enough to make luck suits for non-tamers), my human caster has 62/70/70/70/70 resists, 112 SDI with book, and max or higher in all the other caster suit properties with a 0-resist necklace.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Katakotl's Ring could definitely be used to prop up a couple of skills to 120 & allow for some amount for a seventh skill. For me it has nothing to do with a lack of imagination. My mystic/mage/weaver was already at 120 real skill for Mysticism / Magery / Eval / Weaving / Focus & 110 Med (because I cannot find a 120 scroll) before these items were available. And I *ain't* about to go down on any of these hard earned skills except focus. Plus, I cannot see any other skill for that template worth trying to squeeze in as a low seventh that would make much difference.

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use the Katakotl ring to add +20 Mystsic and use the +20 crystalline ring to add +20 Magery for alt chars to get Tabards and shrine rune tiles. I have 4-5 sterling ring from previous event/s and use 1-2 for +20 archery along with Hunters Headdress to get close to GM archery on alts.

BTW - are the Deceit rings Shard bound and do they have DUR or not? Thank you!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I have used a Katakotl ring since it first came out a few years ago. I use it within one of my suit rotations on my Mystic Mage. Since this is my main character, I wanted atleast one of my jewels to be a permanent fixture and not have to worry about an Antique jewel breaking and having to switch skill points around again and again. It's a very useful piece for any caster type set up and provides great SDI bonus. I've stocked up on these and intend to use on future builds.

The Silver Ring is another story. I would be curious to hear of a build the incorporates this piece meaningfully.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
kotl, Crystaline or compassion's eye rings are currently the only way to reach max SDI (160%/140%+Slayer - unbuffed). because they're all 20% SDI, Kotl ring just has a more useful skill bonus unless you go with mysticism, then crystaline ring is a better option.

the sterling silver ring is more difficult to use. It's missing too many important mods (EP, HCI & SSI) & meditation skill is pretty useless for the most part, because the only skills you get to choose from the list are weapon skills... some of the least likely skills to be paired with Meditation.

My suit is 158% SDI 138 with slayer book - last 2% sdi comes from Greymist gloves.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The VvV cystalline ring gives FCR3,
The ring is obsolete without this.
No FCR with the regular or VVV crystalline ring to my knowledge. Ornament of the magician and burning amber give FCR, maybe you were referring to those named artifacts?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds like he got mad because someone disputed him and a Mod did not remove the offending post?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I report the post with factual misinformation.
And the post remains.
Then you could post a picture or show the stats?

Kinda like this:
Crystalline Ring
Magery +20
Focus +20
VvV Item
Owner: Your Character Name
Antique
Hit Point Regeneration 5
Mana Regeneration 3
Spell Damage Increase 20%
Faster Cast Recovery 3

Only the VvV ring has that, many players do not want to participate or skim items from VvV.

Also I woulda have used up an Antique ring in Deceit. It was not nice to regular armor.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I report the post with factual misinformation.
And the post remains.
Other people have posted additional information on the subject matter.

For future reporting, please familiarize yourself with the Stratics Rules of Conduct, which can be found here:

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Maxcapo, one thing you might consider - depending on your gear level - is looking for a group hunting in Blackthorn Castle dungeon. It's often called "Captains". The various captains there drop 1-3 artifacts, which you collect and turn in for points at the entrance to the dungeon. That turn-in NPC offers some quite nice accessories to help round out stats on your suit, in slots where it can be hard to find gear.

Best of all, this event is a great way for any character to get drops. I used to take my pure bard there, and do nothing but play buff songs. I would have a group in no time, as everyone is more powerful under those buffs. I did zero damage directly to the captains, but I got drops along with everyone else.

So, you don't have to be a powerhouse offensively to get some nice drops at Blackthorns. Plus, it's a way to meet people.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Maxcapo, one thing you might consider - depending on your gear level - is looking for a group hunting in Blackthorn Castle dungeon. It's often called "Captains". The various captains there drop 1-3 artifacts, which you collect and turn in for points at the entrance to the dungeon. That turn-in NPC offers some quite nice accessories to help round out stats on your suit, in slots where it can be hard to find gear.

Best of all, this event is a great way for any character to get drops. I used to take my pure bard there, and do nothing but play buff songs. I would have a group in no time, as everyone is more powerful under those buffs. I did zero damage directly to the captains, but I got drops along with everyone else.

So, you don't have to be a powerhouse offensively to get some nice drops at Blackthorns. Plus, it's a way to meet people.
This is great advice. Thank you .

*Tips his hat and raises a glass of Good Old Moonglow Red in salute*