• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Death of An'Angel

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Life of a servant gets very little recognition, no fame and glory comes with this style of life. Yet everyday they are there waiting on the people they serve. Some get acknowledged for what they do and who they are, then some seem to just blend into the woodwork. Ann had served the Rain family since even before Jaden was born, she was brought into the home by the Mrs. to help with the first child as she was growing up, she had taken on tasks helping the the Father of the family as well, as he was spending more and more time gone. She had taken care of Family for many years and had the burden of the entire household, even more so many years later, after Jaden was born. Then a cook was brought in for the lighter duties of the home, cooking cleaning and caring for the children, while Ann remained near the tool shed and forge with the more difficult tasks of the home. Then the day came when Jaden popped her little head into the shop, with a devilish grin. " I have heard tales of a new skill and new armor and such from this new skill, wanna try to see what we can find out about this?" , Ann knew far to well that the master of the family would send her to do this anyway, as he had always pampered Jaden far to much, she did have a way of becoming close to ones soul. With a a feeling this was not going to turn out so well, Ann gave a heavy sigh and nodded to the young girl. Next thing she knew they stood before a great beast, slowing raising her sights to above tiny Ann's head she peered up into the eyes of the giant Gargoyle standing before her. Here began Ann's apprentice work many nights were spent studying and Jaden always bringing her dinner and drink to the servants quarters near the shop. One evening as Jaden sat the tray upon the table next to Ann as she worked trying to learn this skill, she noticed a small vial beside her plate of food next to her drink, Jaden had been picking up on mixing potions from the family and had prepared a concoction tied around the vial a tiny ribbon with a even tinyier label attached to the ribbon, on it, it read, " This will make things go much faster, Drink me", smiling at the cute bottle and looking to Jaden, " are you trying to poison me?". Jaden giggled " Nooo I would not hurt you, that will just help you". Motioning for Jaden to carry on and leave her to her dinner, Ann began to consume the food the girl had brought her and drink the ale, which usually she was not permitted to get. Staring at the vial, she thought, what could it hurt, the girl is in such a hurry and what could such a small child mix up that could do much damage. So it was done, Ann drank what was within the vial and decided to turn in early and wake up early and start again with her tasks of study.

As morning crept into the room, Ann's face half buried into the pillow. The night had seemed restless and she knew she had over slept. Yawning and she began to sit up it was at that very moment her hand went to cover her mouth as she yawned, she saw, that was not her hand. That was talons there the hand of a gargoyle. Yes life had changed for Ann and her anger of this transformation was carried on right into present days.

Many years Ann imbued armor for the family and the clan. Not only had she worked for this family but Jaden had even sent her to care for Daenyra's household for a time, several of the clan had grown close to the servant. Now with the young savage girl missing, Jaden had came gathered her up to return to her own household . For a Human Ann would be very old to still be tending to such heavy duties for the child she had watched grow, becoming a Gargoyle must have prolonged her life, yet still she remained doing what she had always done, for her skills were still needed for clan.

The cold fortress was much different from the warm climate of Ter Mur and the snow was so cold on her bare feet, so staying near the forge seemed to be a luxury. One of the finest work rooms she had ever been in charge of. Weeks past then on one morning as Ann awoke, Jaden was peering around the door to her room, " Guess what? Guess what I heard?" .....the look on her face, that same look beginning this life as a beast, all to well Ann remembered that very look on Jaden's face. The face had gotten older but the same expression. This time Ann had did not want to hear what was to be said next, " Don't tell me, ...you heard of a new skill?" ......

Ann had been correct with her guess and the thoughts of what she could go through for the Mistress of the house stressed her to no end. Yet she knew it was inevitable she was going to learn whatever it was. This time however this snow and cold had drawn a cough within Ann she had spent so much more time sleeping and just hadn't felt good enough to do much of anything. Now instead of Ann waiting on Jaden, Jaden was spending days lately waiting on her, bringing Ann food and healing potions to banish the sickness. Yet the sickness just was not seeming to get any better. Jaden had gone for the day, uncertain to Ann what she had been leaving for lately so much, during these days the cook had been caring for Ann and bringing her medicines and brought steaming bowls of water with unusual smells to help the Gargoyle Ann breathe better. Ann had begged Jaden not to go that morning but Jaden had promised to return as soon as she possibly could. That no matter what she would be there when Ann woke up the next morning. Ann seemed angry but Jaden assured her she would be back soon.

Ann knew what was coming, the Angel of Death had visited her dreams the night before. She knew that would be her last time to see the face of the child she had helped raise, she knew her time was near. The night was not a pleasant one, Turner the cook encouraged her as she wiped her sweat from her brow, assuring her that Jaden would return very soon. Convulsions began and Ann now lay unconscious but still breathing barely alive. Turner paced the floor of the castle awaiting Jadens return.

Entering the castle it was silent, a spooky silent and Jaden knew something was wrong. Turner had met her as she opened the second set of doors into the castle. " Miss Jaden, it's Ann, she's dying , hurry, HURRY"
From that very moment there would be no memory of what happened between the moment Turner spoke those words till Jaden was sitting beside Ann holding her hand. Tears streaming down her face as she sat talking to a body as if Ann was awake and heard her, so many tears had fallen from Jaden the last few weeks over so many things and now this. Her stomach was in knots and her grip on Ann's hand remained firm. As she bowed her head, tears dripping to the hand she held. "Please don't leave me now, please don't die" still not gaining consciousness it felt as if Ann had squeezed Jaden's hand, and then her grip was gone.

All the years Ann had taken care of the children as they grew up, the years after Jaden's Mother died Ann had made sure to bring dinner to her at the trading company even the nights that Jaden stayed till late figuring the books for the company. All the skin knee's Ann had bandaged as Jaden grew up, all the hair trims Ann had given her, the candy she had cut out of Jaden hair from the mean kids at school, the socks Ann had mended for her, The dresses she had sewn her and the boots she had made her. All Jaden's memories of this Angel flooded her and she wept. This was like a Mother, this was who had cared for them all for sooo long. Now she was just gone, just like that, she was gone. Maybe she should not have left her that morning, if only she had known that would be her last moments with her she would have never left that day but she had....

Preparing an altar outside the castle, this would be the last bon fire waiting for Raghara. The Owl still hadnt returned, at first Jaden was hopeful he had found Daenyra but now after losing Ann all hope was gone. Knowing as well the love Daenyra too felt for this Angel, and the fact now Daeny was no where to be found, possibly also dead. There would be no big funeral for the servant, not many knew her, yet those who did loved her . Pixie had befriended her in Ter Mur and a few of the Clan must be told. We will see who will come................

Last edited:

Bruce

Adventurer
The sentinel at Winter's Gate watches as a tiny glow flits away from the giant purple tree.

"Good evening, miss pixie," he says as it comes near. I

The small creature slows, and gives a sad wave.

"Tonight is the night?"

She nods, and flies beyond the wall.

The sentinel watches as other tiny glows join her.

They circle together, and rise high into the night sky, their glowing grows brighter as they go, until the sentinel has to shade his eyes from the glare. He smiles as their tiny voices reach his ears. A sad song, sung sweetly.

When the pixies come back down, some of their glow remains in the pattern that they had danced.

"You made a constellation!" the sentinel says to the pixie as she returns.

She nods. "An Angel's Roost!" she says, and flies back to her tree.

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
(Today Sept 24 marks the day of my Mothers death, and today I think back on many friends in UO I have lost, a man who played uo I once was friends with his ICQ name was forme, who messaged me and we visited on many days he was doing chemo treatments, I tryed keeping his spirits up then one day he just stopped messaging and later i learned he had passed away, around this same time when my Mother died I lost another UO friend named Tamar Tephi, who I had tryed having a memorial set a few years back and yet I still await to hear of this, and this last year we lost a very Dear Friend to the entire shard to me he was Flethcher McDee to each of you perhaps you remember him as another name. So for all of those we have cared for and lost, We Will ALWAYS MISS YOU !)

PS and Thank You Pixie for inspiring me to write this

Last edited: