• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Darkwood Suits...

MaxTDR

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm experimenting with a PvM character for off days and I was curious...at first I saw alot of darkwood suits running around but from the posts I've read in this forum it seems as tho everyone runs 'homemade suits'. Are Darkwood suits overrated for this template?

By template I mean:

120 Fencing
120 Parrying
120 Bushido
120 Tactics
120 Anatomy
Chivalry
Necro

Thanks.

G

The Darkwood suit is the best PVM armor period in my opinion.

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to disagree with this sorta... some monsters can get the peices to fall off.. which makes the suit worthless almost.

Mace and shield, Jackals, Rune beetle caprice/AOF/Lions heart, Fey leggings, gauntlets of nobility/storm grip, high resist sleeves.

The Gems are up to you, but I use a ring and an orny (for 3/3 casting)

I have 147 str139 HP
150 dex/150 stamia
10 int 30-40 mana
53 DCI and 14 hit (but have LS and divine fury and whatever else my weapons give me)

MaxTDR

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the replies. I've got the pieces to make a good suit so I'm gonna try each one and see which way works best for my Sammy or whatever ya'll call it. Thanks.

I

imported_Jimmy Pop

<blockquote><hr>

I have to disagree with this sorta... some monsters can get the peices to fall off.. which makes the suit worthless almost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that piece suits are capable of being very good. As to pieces dropping off, if you make the Chest and Legs with ASH instead of Heart or Blood woods, you get 20% Lower Reqs which should keep you from dropping them.

You loose +4 HPR or any Heartwood bonus', but it actually balances out the resists nicely.

I

imported_Farsight

Otherwise you could just run with higher strength (110+) and lower dex. That was my solution to the problem of pieces falling off, and it's worked out ok.

My new solution is a ring with high strength bonus in addition to the damage increase and +14 necromancy.

My biggest problem with the suit is that there isn't any mana regeneration possibilities at all, so I can't spam spells the way I'm used to doing with my bushi-archer. Still, I wouldn't trade my darkwood suit for anything.

K

Kakitasteel

the following is what suit i use for my samurai's, and i can kill para succubuses, oni etc, i am not an elf so i havent tried the darkwood armor but 150 dex for fast heals, and max ssi to me works best for my play style.... it took along time to find the right gear and it's still a work in progress just keep testing out diff combo's of gear and use what works for you.

this is what i currently run atm. i have 2 suits 1 is a sammy/ pally #1, #2 is pure sammy.

#1. 34 HCI,44 DCI, Mr 1, HP Reg 4, HLD 30,Dmg inc 45,all 70's resist's, str 120, dex 150, int .34

only 710 skill pt's but i lucked out and found the right jewelry for resists, skill's, and HCI/DCI.
template is 120 swords, parry, bush, gm tact,anat 90 healing(gm w/ enhanced aids) and chiv @ 81.

mace and shield
jackals
heart of the lion
stormgrip
legs of bane
horned sleeves MR 1 18,22,7,6,18
crimson cincture
primer on arms tali
quiver of infinity
ring str +5, HCI 14, DCI 11, energy res 11
brace chiv 12, parry 11, DCI 13, cold res 12, poison res 11

#2 temp is 120 swords,parry,bush, tact, anat ,110 healing. str 108, dex 150, int 50.

HCI 31, DCI 28, MR 3, LMC 21, HLD 30,HP Reg 4,Ref phy's 9. Dmg inc 66, all 70's resist's

mace and shield
jackals
RBC
stormgrip's
legs of bane
Barbed sleeves Ref phy's 9, 19,18,5,22,17
crimson cincture
primer on arms tali
quiver of infinity
ring str + 6 , HCI 11, DCI 12, LMC 6, cold resist 11
brace dex + 4, DCI 11, dmg inc 21%, fire resist 11, energy resist 15
Bronze robe + 3 phy's resist

G

I think if you have a weapon with hld already on it then the darkwood suit is an extremely good choice. However if you're like me and don't have a weapon with hld on it (stupid 15hci instead, if only it were 50 hld
) Then the advantage of the mace and shield glasses outweighs how nice the darkwood suit is.

I

imported_Barney Rubble

You also have to consider if the darkwood suit is made out of heartwood it will give a random mod to the peice im not sure of all that it can add but i have seen HCI Luck and DI oh and lower req. so i think you can make a realy nice suit with some time and tons of resources.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Mace and shield, Jackals, Rune beetle caprice/AOF/Lions heart, Fey leggings, gauntlets of nobility/storm grip, high resist sleeves.

The Gems are up to you, but I use a ring and an orny (for 3/3 casting)

I have 147 str139 HP
150 dex/150 stamia
10 int 30-40 mana
53 DCI and 14 hit (but have LS and divine fury and whatever else my weapons give me)

[/ QUOTE ]

Only time I've ever had it fall off was during Peerless, like Dread Horn. I just chug lots of GR Str

That's a nice setup you have though. The flexibility of UO to choose various gear and templates that compliment each other is one it's greatest strengths.