• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Necromancy] Dark Wolf and Death Adder familiars...

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have some questions on familiars...

What is the most powerful wolf that is tame-able with a Dark Wolf familiar? I've read that Dire Wolves and Bake Kitsune can be tamed. What about Tsuki Wolves? And once tamed, can they be stabled? Do the tamed wolves remain tamed if you lose the Dark Wolf familiar? Is there any problem with controlling wolves tamed with a Dark Wolf if you have no Taming skill?

And with the Death Adder familiar, can you have Silver Serpents attack for you? What about Paragon Serpents? Black Rock infected?

Thanks!

C

Chaosy

The best wolf creature you can control is a bake-kitsune. Tsuki wolves cannot be tamed.

If you control the bake you can stable it, but you always need to have the dark wolf out in order to control it (otherwise it will go wild after a few failed commands). There is no problem with controlling if you have the familiar out, but you need it out. That means you can have your dark wolf and 2 bakes, but that would mean you would have to be on foot.

T

Turdnugget

To get them to bond , you need to stone over animallore + taming or just lore?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bonding requires lore and taming. What I did was train up my lore and taming to barely enough to bond them, but not to control them. So I still need my dark wolf to control them reliably, but have the taming to rebond if I make a mistake.

Other things to bear in mind:
While you need the taming and lore to finish bonding, the bonding process can be started by just having the dark wolf. When I bonded my kits, I started with 0 taming, 0 lore and trained my skills during the week they were stabled. Much to my shock, they bonded instantly when I wanted to start the bonding process.

If your kits are polymorphed (rat form from Baracoon, most notably), they can't be controlled. So don't try to change their course while fighting Baracoon.

A smart human opponent will see your kits and kill your wolf (takes a single spell), which renders your kits useless.

In most situations, it's easier to just use summons for killing. I like the kits because they can't be dispelled.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm curious about the Death Adder too.
Can you provoke snakes like silver serpents if your Death Adder is out?

R

RichDC

Through kinda testing:

you cannot control any snakes with an adder out, it just seems to add another melee attack with the chance of poison.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
80.7 in each taming and lore. I think I have 81 taming and 85 lore, just to be on the safe side.

(and on the other subject, I haven't played with death adders. I think I'll do that)

C

Chaosy

I was under the impression that bonding only checked animal taming skill, unless they changed it?

R

RichDC

Easiest way is to transfer taming/lore from another char and bond them then take it of...bonded bakes with 0 loss of skill points.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After experimenting with the death adder, you can indeed command giant serpents and silver serpents, but not yamandon or Coil. I haven't met any paragons to play with.

Just have to double click your target snake to tell it what to attack.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Commanding Silver serpents sounds pretty cool!
I came upon a Yamandon for the first time the other day and I was surprised at how hard it hit me. It knocked about 60hp off me in one hit. Imagine if it could be commanded.

H

Hans

I have to comment on the bakes. I have two bonded to my necro nox mage and absolutly love them. If you get two trained up to 90+ magery they will absolutly dumb on a target leaving them little chance to survive. Personally I have started just chain paraliyzing ppl and letting my bakes go to work. Now if I could just learn to actually cast my necro/mages spells I would be unstopable...

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For a while there I played like that regularly. I soulstoned taming to bond a bake on each of my necros and whenever I logged in I'd summon a wolf in my tower and recall out to have the bake follow me. The wolf lasts quite a while by himself. Whenever I noticed my followers go down I'd just go back and re-summon.

Is having a bonded bake and controlling w/ just a dark wolf considered an exploit?

I ended up not using my bakes because I was worried about getting in trouble.

But as the previous post says, when those things are trained to 90 magery they dump mana faster than any other tameable IMO.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
80.7 in each taming and lore. I think I have 81 taming and 85 lore, just to be on the safe side.

(and on the other subject, I haven't played with death adders. I think I'll do that)
So.. in that case if I have 50 taming from making a new char, and I put on 15 taming ring and brace, and the 5 taming talisman, and macro up to 80.7 lore in a couple of hours that would be sufficient to bond?

T

Turdnugget

That's what I was thinking Lynk. New chr with 50, + jewels to bond.

Sounds good to me =)

I plan on hopping on Test Center to try it out. See what what skill you can get the message the kit wants to bond.

Hans, how are you using two bakes at the same time + your dark wolf + a mount? The bakes are 2 slots a piece + 1 wolf + a mount = 6 followers...

Or are you on foot?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Usually I'm on foot (wraith or lich form), but there is a way to have your bakes and use a mount. It's just terrible if you ever get into trouble, since it requires getting rid of the dark wolf. But there are situations (choke points most notably) where you can tell your bake to guard you, get rid of the dark wolf and use area effect spells and paralyzes to get your enemy.

But as I said, it really stinks if there's room for your opponent to run away.

But even on foot, they're great for certain situations. If you were in situations where mounting up is mandatory, then it's no trouble to leave the bakes in the stable and use other summons.

R

RichDC

They are an awesome combo, if you can pull of a corpse, strangle, pain spike (or an offensive combo/para gank)most wont be able to live through the dump of the 800combined bake mana (most not all!).

Plus your on foot so BOLA TIME BABY!!!

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awesome. Thanks for all he replies everyone. I think I have some playing around to do. ;)