• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Damn, finally...

S

Shakaja

i was somewhat excited when i heard df beta announced (even thoo i still wont believe it until its running as that was already announced when i started playing uo). but after watching the videos i have to say, rather no. here are a few points why:

1. its 3d. now i dont mind 3d at all, but aiming spells and arrows? then ill rather just stick to a shooter. those usually provide way more action. plus there are some very good mods out if youd prefer to play them with bows and spells and swords and axes and what not involving batteling in bigger teams raiding and defending big castles etc.

2. it looks completely ****. now dont get me wrong, i dont mind playing something that doesnt look amazing. uo doesnt look very nice neither. but its what, 11 years old, and its a quite unique style. the videos i seen about df look absolutely horrible. anyone that reads a 3d engines for dummies book can get a better piece of engine together. thats not exactly something im looking for on a new game coming out, specially not one thats been in developement for so many years.

3. developement time. they been working on this thing for way too long. any team who knows what they are doing, doesnt say its coming out for so long. df became almost as ridiculous as the new duke nukem. they been announcing how great their game will be and that its about to come out for years, the videomaterial that they uploaded doesnt exactly show that its been worth the time.

4. release date. the game just seems to be around 5 years too late. did they release it as it appears to be atm about 5 years ago, they might still be leading the mmo market as of today. as of right now, i have a feeling its going to end up with a few hardcore players that play there for the ruleset and a few cheaters having fun with aimbots and equal things.

well see how it goes. i think ill do a trial once it gets released and see how it looks like at that point, if i like it wait a few weeks and look how it goes. to anyone going over there, i hope you guys have fun. youll might see me there as well after a while, doubtful thoo.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I would really appreciate it if any Siege folk gets in and will post some news and reviews.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure we'll be able to tell you anything. They could have an NDA agreement, and then we wouldn't be able to say much on a public forum. Right?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I will never tell...

R

Rykus

I hope you get in Patty! I will see if they have any blaze beetles for you to use. I know you'll miss your Sosarian counterpart.. :)

@ Cheapy - Did you watch the video? Who else has half the crazy shiznit they have in that video, all in ONE GAME? Massive sea battles - PotBS, sure, but does it have the rest of what DF has to offer? Full PvP-centric environment with full loot - Siege Perilous, but does .. We'll just stop there. Mounts, and a variety of them - A few 3D games have mounts, but not all, don't take this for granted. DF has a good variety of mounts, and even a wolf humanoid race that can run at mounted speed on all fours. The difference between this and wolf form in UO is that the Mahrim (wolf race) CANNOT fight while running at mounted speed - for this they must stand on two feet. If only the EA devs would have thought of this years ago....

There's much more, but whatever. If you don't want to try DF, DON'T. If you do, I really hope to see most of you (who are going to give it a shot) there. I'm not trying to pull people off Siege, or recruit for anything. I just posted this thread because I know many who play(ed) Siege have been watching DF with at least a modicum of enthusiasm, if not skepticism, for quite a long time. I know I've been waiting for it since before I came to Siege a little over 5 years ago... Damn, has it really been that long? *blinks*

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Yeah, it has been that long...

R

Rykus

@ Skylark - I refuse to play WoW for what many people would probably consider very silly reasons. The truth is that a friend of mine worked for Blizzard for several years, and left just before WoW came out. As little as I think of EA, I think even less of Blizzard. I really am not inclined to give them anything except a glimpse of a particular finger on my extended right arm.

I don't begrudge anyone else for playing, and wouldn't try to dissuade them based on my personal feelings. I am also pretty opposed to playing yet another class/level based game, unless it has some other pretty compelling reasons to play. I got into AoC for two reasons. The first is because a co-worker is currently playing it, and this is his first MMOG. I talked to him about DF, which he is interested in playing, and I decided to play AoC to help him get acclimated to what MMOGs are about, in particular PvP-centirc MMOGs. My first thought was to show him UO, but I actually want him to get excited about playing a PvP MMOG, not give me a look like I'm a moron for playing *THAT* old thing from 1997 (from an outsider's perspective). The second reason is a bit more simplistic. I am just done with UO, and AoC seemed like a good diversion until DF comes out in a few months. I told my co-worker before I bought it that I would be surprised if I am stil playing after 90 days, and I still believe that.

In short, thanks for the invitation, but I have to respectfully decline, despite the desire to play a Dark Knight type char. I do hope that you and the rest of the old UO crew will give DF a look-see when it comes out though. If you have any interest at all, I'll be sure to keep a light on for you.. :)

R

Rykus

Yeah, it has been that long...
Wow, and I thought you were old then.. You're like ... *takes off shoes* ... FIVE friggin' years older now! Have you officially reached ancient yet?? :)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Pretty much. *sighs an emo sigh*

Sandwich

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll have to share in the sentiment that this game is just coming out nearly a decade too late. That sort of ruleset and I think even the mindset required to thrive in such a place will only ever work in UO and has all but died out on EA's servers. One trip through UHall will tell you that.

I hope everyone finds what they are looking for in a game but I have a feeling that Darkfall will not live up to the hopes some of you are placing on it.

M

Masumatek

I'm not sure we'll be able to tell you anything. They could have an NDA agreement, and then we wouldn't be able to say much on a public forum. Right?
Maybe, but I doubt it. Beta won't be some long extended process. The devs want most of the game completed before beta and have stated beta will be short...which it would have to be, if they're aiming for a 2008 release.

M

Masumatek

1. its 3d. now i dont mind 3d at all, but aiming spells and arrows? then ill rather just stick to a shooter. those usually provide way more action. plus there are some very good mods out if youd prefer to play them with bows and spells and swords and axes and what not involving batteling in bigger teams raiding and defending big castles etc.
I guess that's just personal preference. I think it will be very interesting, a combination of fps-rpg-mmo-stategy-etc...Many will tell you adding the fps element will make PvP take much more skill, and I agree with that. It would also make it feel much more realistic. If constant action is what you want, then you're right...you probably should stick to normal fps games. But I have a feeling there will be more than enough of action in this game anyway.

2. it looks completely ****. now dont get me wrong, i dont mind playing something that doesnt look amazing. uo doesnt look very nice neither. but its what, 11 years old, and its a quite unique style. the videos i seen about df look absolutely horrible. anyone that reads a 3d engines for dummies book can get a better piece of engine together. thats not exactly something im looking for on a new game coming out, specially not one thats been in developement for so many years.
Content>graphics. DarkFall has always put graphics second...Unfortunately many games don't. I wouldn't mind if the graphics were much worse than they are...to me they're perfectly fine. Sure, it'd be a bonus if they looked better, but that's not what's important. Also, correct me if I'm wrong since I'm a computer noob, but the better the graphics, the harder it will be to have massive battles and such without lag...right?

3. developement time. they been working on this thing for way too long. any team who knows what they are doing, doesnt say its coming out for so long. df became almost as ridiculous as the new duke nukem. they been announcing how great their game will be and that its about to come out for years, the videomaterial that they uploaded doesnt exactly show that its been worth the time.
It's a small foreign team. Of course it's going to take longer, especially with a game like DarkFall.

4. release date. the game just seems to be around 5 years too late. did they release it as it appears to be atm about 5 years ago, they might still be leading the mmo market as of today. as of right now, i have a feeling its going to end up with a few hardcore players that play there for the ruleset and a few cheaters having fun with aimbots and equal things.
We'll see. It's not going to be as successful as WoW, but I think it will do just fine. There are more than a "few hardcore players" who have been waiting for a game like DF, many more. As for cheating, the devs have stated it will be very difficult, but we'll see...there are cheaters in every game.

S

Shakaja

I guess that's just personal preference. I think it will be very interesting, a combination of fps-rpg-mmo-stategy-etc...Many will tell you adding the fps element will make PvP take much more skill, and I agree with that. It would also make it feel much more realistic. If constant action is what you want, then you're right...you probably should stick to normal fps games. But I have a feeling there will be more than enough of action in this game anyway.
well, quite obviously if someone tells my opinion about a game, it will be pretty much personal preference. thats kinda the point of it.

Content>graphics. DarkFall has always put graphics second...Unfortunately many games don't. I wouldn't mind if the graphics were much worse than they are...to me they're perfectly fine. Sure, it'd be a bonus if they looked better, but that's not what's important. Also, correct me if I'm wrong since I'm a computer noob, but the better the graphics, the harder it will be to have massive battles and such without lag...right?
it doesnt matter if you focus more on graphics or on content/gameplay. its a matter of giving both enough focus. those who make everything good are the awesome games. if you only focus on one, it might be a decent game in the end, thats about it thoo.
about lag, no. thats mostly based of netcode. awesome graphic might only have a influence someones fps. but this is year 2008, they are probably going to release the egame in 2009. it doesnt have to look like something you can play on yesterdays cellphones and calculators.

It's a small foreign team. Of course it's going to take longer, especially with a game like DarkFall.
neither a small nor a foreign team has anything to do with anouncing the game is about to come out for a few years. if they did a halfway good job at designing and planning, that wouldnt have happened. and it doesnt matter to me if its a big or a small, a foreign or a whatnot team, if they do a horrible job its all the same to me.

We'll see. It's not going to be as successful as WoW, but I think it will do just fine. There are more than a "few hardcore players" who have been waiting for a game like DF, many more. As for cheating, the devs have stated it will be very difficult, but we'll see...there are cheaters in every game.

im not even talking about numbers like that. id be quite happy to have 100k on df. ill definitely stay sceptical thoo. about cheating being very difficult, thats a joke. its a 3d game. as long as an object is being drawn, a very simple clienthook can locate and analyze whats being drawn and set your viewing angle correctly to fire anything in a way so if the other guy doesnt change direction or speed, it will hit him. specially with the technic that game is using. there is plenty of experience around for 5-8 year old 3d game engines.

but like i said, im very sceptical and hoping the best. thats better than being all excited just to find another crapgame that was announcing for years how great its going to be.

M

Masumatek

How much of the "it's coming out soon" was the community instead of the devs? The devs made the mistake of saying the wrong thing a few times, and then they remained quiet about it. It's not like they kept saying "it's coming out soon" again and again and again. That was the excited people of the community. Heck, we still don't have a release date. Also, most of the "soon" crap was for beta, not release. If the devs had beta when they originally planned, the game would have been far from finished. They changed their minds, deciding it would be better to have beta when the game was almost completely done, which is why beta will probably be short.

Again, we'll have to see on the cheating. The devs did say they have taken big steps to prevent cheating, but who knows until its released. It's not like it can be worse than UO anyway...

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Before getting too excited about this, I would wait until the beta is actually up and running. The game boasts a rich feature list, yet specifics are extremely vague. For instance, 500 spells and 500 skills are mooted for the release, yet only a couple of dozen skills are actually mentioned and hardly any spells that I have seen. Then there is the whole economy model, etc.

The game has been in development for years, which can be a good or bad thing from the code point of view, and the development team very small for the running of a MMORPG. If the game balancing, mechanics and graphics engine are not largely complete and working up to this point, then a short month-long beta is not going to fix them.

This is not a knock on the game, it is possible they have got a properly working product, just a warning that those expecting the second coming should be a bit circumspect for now.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I watched part of the trailer, then had to turn it off because I was getting nauseous. Here's one UO player that's staying right where she is.

O

Ole Cheapy

I am really blown away by some of you guys response about this game, I was one of the first people to join the df forums back in 2001 when they first started talking about releasing this game. You heard me right, 2001, that's soon to be 8 years people! Wake the hell up, snap out of it, this game has 8 year old engines etc. etc., it will blow cuz it's just out dated, only a fool wouldn't realize this. Kinda like some company coming out with an 8 bit system like the first nitendo in the year 2008 while we have all these awsome systems out like ps3, 360, etc. etc. They would be foolish to think that their 8 bit system could stand up to the game system we have today. :coco:

Ok, let me put it another way.... let's say your wife and you are expecting (she's pregnant), and you hear about this awsome game coming out, ok 7 years later your baby has been born and is now starting the 2nd or 3rd grade in elementary school and you're still talking about and waiting on this same game to be released while other games have come and gone that started years after your child was born. You see how silly you're being with the high expectations of this 8 year developed game?

G

Gunn4r

I am really blown away by some of you guys response about this game, I was one of the first people to join the df forums back in 2001 when they first started talking about releasing this game. You heard me right, 2001, that's soon to be 8 years people! Wake the hell up, snap out of it, this game has 8 year old engines etc. etc., it will blow cuz it's just out dated, only a fool wouldn't realize this. Kinda like some company coming out with an 8 bit system like the first nitendo in the year 2008 while we have all these awsome systems out like ps3, 360, etc. etc. They would be foolish to think that their 8 bit system could stand up to the game system we have today. :coco:

I started following World of Warcraft about 6 years before it was released. /shrug

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ Skylark - I refuse to play WoW for what many people would probably consider very silly reasons. The truth is that a friend of mine worked for Blizzard for several years, and left just before WoW came out. As little as I think of EA, I think even less of Blizzard
Nothing silly about refusing to give revenue to a company which I am guessing you feel did poorly by your friend, their former employee.

If I had known that the reasons were more of personal principle, I wouldn't have suggested you play, I thought your reluctance was the appearance of the game. :)

-Skylark

S

Shakaja

How much of the "it's coming out soon" was the community instead of the devs? The devs made the mistake of saying the wrong thing a few times, and then they remained quiet about it. It's not like they kept saying "it's coming out soon" again and again and again. That was the excited people of the community. Heck, we still don't have a release date. Also, most of the "soon" crap was for beta, not release. If the devs had beta when they originally planned, the game would have been far from finished. They changed their minds, deciding it would be better to have beta when the game was almost completely done, which is why beta will probably be short.

Again, we'll have to see on the cheating. The devs did say they have taken big steps to prevent cheating, but who knows until its released. It's not like it can be worse than UO anyway...
i heard things a bit different then.

about the cheating, not worse than uo? even if you play production shard, any popular 3d game, specially in the shooter type are 1000x times worse. and its not getting really any better as there are 100 of teams releasing hacks for every game with new releases coming up up to a few times per week. uo only has the problem that the team doesnt do anything at all about it. and even like that its nothing compared to popular shooters.

H

Hawkind

Ok, let me put it another way.... let's say your wife and you are expecting (she's pregnant), and you hear about this awsome game coming out, ok 7 years later your baby has been born and is now starting the 2nd or 3rd grade in elementary school and you're still talking about and waiting on this same game to be released while other games have come and gone that started years after your child was born. You see how silly you're being with the high expectations of this 8 year developed game?
From what I know, the game was all but scrapped in 04 and rebuilt from the ground up, taking bits and pieces from the original. Although I could be mistaken.

A

Alrich

Well this game was considered vaporware for the longest time and as other have mentioned, specifics are still vague. But if this truly being developed for a release and people do actually get accepted into a beta, there should be atleast something official released about it, NDA or not. Even if its a "closed beta has begun!"

far as development time any mmpg game takes years to develop, code, and create so 5 years isn't a big stretch. The question is though do they have a proper dev team and funding to keep the project going.

O

Ole Cheapy

The thing about this game is different, they didn't just wake up with a DF idea in 2001 and then starting developing it, these asshats started talking about a very near future release in 2001. Once the game forum goes live it's usually near release (I was a DF forum member in 2001), you don't set your forums up 8 years (not 5) prior to the release of the game, that's just a waste of bandwidth and plain stupid.

So my guess would be they prolly started "developing" this game some time around 1998, which is just plain ole sickening.