• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Damn, finally...

G

Gunn4r

wow, honestly didnt think they were ever going to move forward again.

Horray!

M

Masumatek

Looks like my whining ranting days on stratics are coming to an end. Soon there will be no point, just as there will be no point in playing Siege when we're about to be given the perfect Siege, only 100x better than the perfect Siege (no, I'm not exaggerating). Can't wait for DF!

*edit*
To any Siegers who don't know what this is, you should really check it out. The only people remaining here after DF is released will be the die hard Ultima fans or the people who don't know about DF. Otherwise, it truly is the perfect game for Siege players.

R

Rykus

I am currently playing Age of Conan, and lotsa ppl there are already talking about how empty it's going to be when this is released. It won't be a WoW killer, but there is no doubt in my mind that this will be the most played PvP-oriented MMOG out there.

It looks like they need to do some graphics polishing still, but after this long I'd bet they have the important stuff done right. I just enabled my UO accounts one more time (for housing), and I'm thinking it will be the last time ever. Will be selling lots of stuff in the near future, and probably a few houses. ...if anyone will be left to buy them. heh

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm contemplating whether or not to sign up for beta. I've seen the screenshots and the footage. It looks very cool, but will a non-combatant Siege player really enjoy DF?

non-combatant Siege player- Wow, doesn't that sound like an oxymoron?:p

Also, this is going to sound stupid, but I don't know if I can handle the graphics. 3D graphics give me a headache!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Old 3d graphics...

Revvo

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well the graphics aren't terrible but the gameplay looks absolutely comical, flying around in floating ships that shoot machine guns and cannons at buildings which just vanish when they get destroyed? Am i watching the same video as everyone else? Is there even any kind of U.I and controls or do you just all run at each other in a wierd skipping manner and swing your weapons identically at each other until someone wins?

Whats even funnier is within months of the release WOTLK and Warhammer will be released and Diablo 3 will be on the horizon, epic timing fail IMO. Also i wonder though just how long a game that claims to be as hardcore as it is will hold the AVERAGE gamers appeal? The game is just 6 years too late :(

I really hope the old U.O players do find what they are looking for i just doubt it is this.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Well the graphics aren't terrible but the gameplay looks absolutely comical, flying around in floating ships that shoot machine guns and cannons at buildings which just vanish when they get destroyed? Am i watching the same video as everyone else? Is there even any kind of U.I and controls or do you just all run at each other in a wierd skipping manner and swing your weapons identically at each other until someone wins?

Whats even funnier is within months of the release WOTLK and Warhammer will be released and Diablo 3 will be on the horizon, epic timing fail IMO. Also i wonder though just how long a game that claims to be as hardcore as it is will hold the AVERAGE gamers appeal? The game is just 6 years too late :(

I really hope the old U.O players do find what they are looking for i just doubt it is this.
Yup.

R

Rykus

I played UO for the better part of 9 years, graphics aren't what keeps me in a game, nor most who would participate on these forums I would imagine..

I would guess they turned off the UI for several reasons, one of which would be to allow viewing of the video with the least obstruction. There are a few brief moments where you see the UI, so it's in there, but it's quick.

Why would you be concerned about the AVERAGE gamer? Aventurine has been quite clear that this isn't for the average gamer, it's for people who enjoy PvP. WoW isn't going to suffer from DF, but if it's even remotely what many think it will be, then UO will most likely lose quite a few more players.

I personally don't give a rat's ass about WoW's new expansion, Warhammer, or any other game coming out, because they're all class/level based. DF is the only one that will be skill based, and I prefer that 100x over every other EQ clone past, present, and future. I can only assume that many who play UO feel the same, or more UO players would have likely moved on to something else by now. I've certainly seen quite a few people express similar feelings on skill vs. class based mmogs.

As for everything else you mention, I don't know. Will have to wait and see I suppose. I don't see anything wrong with what I saw in the video personally. There was plenty in there to make me think it has huge potential. The flying ships seem very plausible in a world with magic beyond what UO has to offer. Other mmog's I've played have had other flying modes of transportation, and whole sections of structures disappear when destroyed. *shrugs*

G

Goron

wow... you guys are sheep.
I can't wait for you all to be horribly disappointed.

When you hype something so hard, even if it is great, it will not be as good as you expected.
I can't wait to see all of your reactions after playing the game.

Aelfric

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
there are just certain things in ultima that subsequent MMOs have been afraid to put in their games, like thieves and dry-looting... I'd hope to see that sort of thing in darkfall, and a handful of so-called "useless skills" before I pay more than $25 bucks for a computer that could run it.

M

Masuo Kenji

@Goron:

QFT. People always announce the next game that comes out is going to be the holy grail, and most of the time people come back with a sad expression on their face.

GoodGuy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wow... you guys are sheep.
I can't wait for you all to be horribly disappointed.

When you hype something so hard, even if it is great, it will not be as good as you expected.
I can't wait to see all of your reactions after playing the game.
Goron im really not giving DF that much credit until i try it. But honestly from what i've seen and can tell about the game its dynamics follow a lot of the same rules that UO was built upon. Give it time my man, you'll come to the darkfall side.

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played UO for the better part of 9 years, graphics aren't what keeps me in a game, nor most who would participate on these forums I would imagine..

I would guess they turned off the UI for several reasons, one of which would be to allow viewing of the video with the least obstruction. There are a few brief moments where you see the UI, so it's in there, but it's quick.

Why would you be concerned about the AVERAGE gamer? Aventurine has been quite clear that this isn't for the average gamer, it's for people who enjoy PvP. WoW isn't going to suffer from DF, but if it's even remotely what many think it will be, then UO will most likely lose quite a few more players.

I personally don't give a rat's ass about WoW's new expansion, Warhammer, or any other game coming out, because they're all class/level based. DF is the only one that will be skill based, and I prefer that 100x over every other EQ clone past, present, and future. I can only assume that many who play UO feel the same, or more UO players would have likely moved on to something else by now. I've certainly seen quite a few people express similar feelings on skill vs. class based mmogs.

As for everything else you mention, I don't know. Will have to wait and see I suppose. I don't see anything wrong with what I saw in the video personally. There was plenty in there to make me think it has huge potential. The flying ships seem very plausible in a world with magic beyond what UO has to offer. Other mmog's I've played have had other flying modes of transportation, and whole sections of structures disappear when destroyed. *shrugs*
You and I are so alike it's scary. Happy early birthday Bubba :)

M

Masumatek

Well if you want to accuse us of over-hyping and being "sheep," I'll say you guys are overly attached to UO or whatever it is you play now and are simply afraid of something that will be better. I think this is a lot of the reason DarkFall is opposed by many UO players and players of other games. DarkFall offers something new and radical, completely different from anything that's out there, and you're either afraid of something different or afraid it will kill/hurt whatever games you play now. I guess this is a legitimate concern though...I definitely think because of DarkFall Siege will suffer a lot on population and sooner or later no longer be a part of UO.

As Rykus has said, the devs of DF aren't aiming to please your "average mmo player." This might seem a bad business decision at first, but there are thousands upon thousands of PvPers who feel the MMO world today sucks and have been waiting for years for something like DarkFall.

As for the graphics, I think they're just fine, nor do I see why anyone who players UO would complain. If you're playing this game, you should love the graphics in DF.

The floating ships are new to me too Revvo, but I don't see a big deal with them. I guess they're DF's version of Siege engines hehe. I've only watched it once, but I didn't see a machine gun on anything and I highly doubt that. There will be cannons but there will not be ordinary guns.

I'm sure any "skipping" will be cleared up before release. Some (not all) of the combat did seem a bit random and chaotic but I didn't see it as comical. I would have liked to have seen more tactics, formations, etc. used instead of blind charging though. And there is of course nothing preventing people from using formations and advanced tactics, though that might be unrealistic to expect in an MMO given the great amount of skill and teamwork that would take.

Buildings just "vanishing"...so what? It can't be perfect and realistic in every way. Did you expect rubble? I don't see why it matters. It might not be as appealing to the eyes as bits of wood flying everywhere and the building crumbling to the ground, but fancy eye candy isn't what DF is about anyway and lack of rubble certainly doesn't make me like DF less.

To answer some questions, yes, everything is lootable. I think you have some basic noob items you're born with that remain "blessed" (kinda like noob items in UO), but aside from that every single thing is lootable. I *think* there is thieving, but it's been so long since I read some of those old dev journals I can't remember for sure. There will also be many skills and many spells to choose from, many many more than UO.

Yes Patty, I think a non-combat Siege players would enjoy DF. The game is aimed at PvPers but it's also aimed at people who enjoy risk and challenge, who might not PvP but aren't afraid to die and don't enjoy playing in some safe zone crap game with no loot, etc...If all goes through as promised (and of course not all will, but hopefully most), DarkFall will have a good crafting system and crafters will be extremely important. It will have a challenging and fun PvM system. Explorers will love it as the landmass is huge and for other reasons. And more. So long as you're not afraid of a bit of risk and danger from other players, I don't see much reason why a non-PvPer wouldn't enjoy DarkFall.

The devs have stated DF won't be too demanding on system requirements, but we'll see.

Also keep in mind the game isn't even in beta yet (though it probably will be shortly), and the game will no doubt be improved before release.

M

Masumatek

@Goron:

QFT. People always announce the next game that comes out is going to be the holy grail, and most of the time people come back with a sad expression on their face.
I think DF will attract plenty of people from a variety of games, including UO. I doubt it would be the end of UO...but I think it's a good bet it will, eventually, lead to the end of Siege. It's Siege, a fixed Siege actually, only much much better than a fixed Siege would be. It has everything a Siege player would want and more. How many reasons can you come up for people choosing to remain on Siege? A few will of course, but I think sooner or later most will end up in DF.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Sure I will sign up to how it is but I doubt they will success it.
I doubt it will make me quit UO

Revvo

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Um, yea, I'd have thought you sat out a UO IDOC by now, Revvy...
Sure but U.O is 12? years old and not trying to make waves in the current market, also whatever you may believe it is sadly the AVERAGE gamer that keeps games afloat and funds the development team with their monthly subscriptions.

I still love U.O for all it's faults but sometimes you just have to move on and WoW is far from perfect but it appeals to a massive audience and has so much content and active development you just can't ever be bored plus i do love my pve :)

B

Black magick

@Goron:

If this game delivers alot of people will be happy. Personally, I never have faith that a new game will hold my interest, so I keep accounts in atleast one game open. Oo-rah for a thief on Uo, and killing people higher lvl than you while training on WOW. ^^

DaveSP!

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
there are just certain things in ultima that subsequent MMOs have been afraid to put in their games, like thieves and dry-looting... I'd hope to see that sort of thing in darkfall, and a handful of so-called "useless skills" before I pay more than $25 bucks for a computer that could run it.

Originally there was going to be stealing, but I'd surprised if it was still in (given the nature iof the game it'd be hard to do anyway) but dry looting is fine, so banditry is not a problem in it!

Revvo

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just reading a break down review of why Age of Conan has become almost a complete flop and one point stood out as being a problem that may also do the same for Darkfall:-

4. Funcom Broke Promises That Never Should Have Been Made

World PvP, large scale outdoor battles, and Guild warfare were all hyped in Age of Conan, but none of it was delivered. When players took too much control over the world, developers swiftly removed access and implemented lockdown controls to convert the game into a fairy-tale amusement park.

Yet another developer failed to realize that an open-ended large-scale PvP with total freedom is not only technically impossible, but is also not enjoyable for most players. Games need structure and direction to provide entertainment, even though a few hardcore gamers think they will have more fun without it. Funcom attempted to bait the hardcore gamers by promising that which they could not deliver, and the hardcore gamers called their bluff.
Here is the full article for reference:-

http://wowriot.gameriot.com/blogs/Epidemic-Obesity/Age-of-Conan-Desperate-for-Subscribers/

P.S lol at blog name :)

M

Masuo Kenji

I think DF will attract plenty of people from a variety of games, including UO. I doubt it would be the end of UO...but I think it's a good bet it will, eventually, lead to the end of Siege. It's Siege, a fixed Siege actually, only much much better than a fixed Siege would be. It has everything a Siege player would want and more. How many reasons can you come up for people choosing to remain on Siege? A few will of course, but I think sooner or later most will end up in DF.
If it succeeds, more power to Aventurine. There are just a lot of games that make a lot of promises that they don't fufill. The expectations are very high for a game like DarkFall.

I just always keep a neutral outlook when I beta test every mmo that's coming out. I signed up for DarkFall, and I'm testing Warhammer soon, and I'll see how that goes.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just reading a break down review of why Age of Conan has become almost a complete flop and one point stood out as being a problem that may also do the same for Darkfall:-

4. Funcom Broke Promises That Never Should Have Been Made

World PvP, large scale outdoor battles, and Guild warfare were all hyped in Age of Conan, but none of it was delivered. When players took too much control over the world, developers swiftly removed access and implemented lockdown controls to convert the game into a fairy-tale amusement park.

Yet another developer failed to realize that an open-ended large-scale PvP with total freedom is not only technically impossible, but is also not enjoyable for most players. Games need structure and direction to provide entertainment, even though a few hardcore gamers think they will have more fun without it. Funcom attempted to bait the hardcore gamers by promising that which they could not deliver, and the hardcore gamers called their bluff.
Here is the full article for reference:-

http://wowriot.gameriot.com/blogs/Epidemic-Obesity/Age-of-Conan-Desperate-for-Subscribers/

P.S lol at blog name :)
That's hilarious! You quote a players blog.

Check out my sources.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=156744

Basically, as of July 30th, they had about 415,000 active subcribers and that's a huge number for any mmo. More than quadruple what UO has atm. AoC is guaranteed a future.

This isn't the cash-cow blizzard is (even before WoW) and let's all get real here, WoW was chalked full of bugs as has every single MMO game that has ever been released.

The thing Blizzard did, was came to the table with continuous updates, patches, bug fixes and a plan to move forward. The very same thing AoC has been doing for 3 months now.

The Devs have been actively patching and balancing and adding content to the game. I am waiting for 3 key fixes to imbalances I don't want to deal with before I jump into the game... that and a new computer so I can run it ;)

WAR, considering they have aimed it towards being a grind-fest from hell (almost twice the time it takes to level in WoW) I don't know how many will actually see it through to the end-game before they get bored. Although, WAR has set it up where you can level and play through PvP only... which is pure win.

What no one seems to get, is that the "PvP" player base... is mostly in love with the end-game aspect of MMOs... where the PvE playerbase... is mostly in love with the journey to the end-game... hence the nauseating amount of treadmill carrot chasing and grinding it takes to attract that playerbase... and why Blizzards WOW, has so much damn content, the PvE crow will never be bored... there is no end-game and that's exactly why PvPers can't stand WOW.

I game with 3 very large and very well-established gaming communities. Darkfall, while we all hope is going to be great... after this many years and this many promises... too many people have their own expectations and unless you go into it without any, your going to be as disappointed as people were with Shadowbane.

my 2 cents

PS. I don't foresee myself quitting Ultima Online at all, even if another game that I love comes along. You know why? Because I'm already at the end-game. I log on and play... and that is priceless.

All of you pancakes about the monthly fees, having 1 or 2 accounts open, costs me less per month than lunch at Arby's 2 days of the month. I really laugh at people who pancake about the costs... are you trading in food stamps to play or something?

R

Rykus

Healthy skepticism is a good thing. I have tried quite a few other MMOGs myself, and only a few were worth playing for more than a month or so. None of them held my attention for more than 2-3 months, and I believe that is due to the fact that all MMOGs that have been developed since EQ have been nothing but different flavors of YAEQC (Yet ANother EQ Clone). They all uses class/level based advancement. None of them have come even close to the persistent state world, and sandbox environment that UO is, and none of them let a player do whatever they want, like UO.

Darkfall appears to be different than all of these other YAEQC games, because it uses a skill based system, is a persistent state world, and is designed from the ground up to be similar to what everyone reading these forums is used to - open PvP and full loot. Not one of any of the other MMOG's I've played in the last 10 years had any of that, except WISH, and it never made it out of Beta, due to a variety of reasons, none of which are present in DF. Yes, I can say this without having played it, just by what I've read and see in the video. Happy to elaborate if necessary, but this isn't the place for that right now....

In any case, I hope everyone here continues to love UO in perpetuity. It was the most awesome MMOG creation for many years, and despite all of the ways I feel it has become hardly a shadow of it's former self, and in many ways a ridiculous piece of crap, I still love what it once was, and always will. Even if DF didn't exist, UO has become something I no longer care to play because I simply don't enjoy what it has evolved into. Two+ friggin years for a PBD fix. HOW MANY YEARS for a RoT fix?? Of all the other games I've played, UO is the only one where I've seen MUCH NEEDED fixes take YEARS to be addressed. Again, love UO, but it's not something I want to play anymore. I know there are others who feel the same, many of whom have already left but sill lurk on these boards, which is why I made this thread to begin with.

The URL below leads to a thread with hundreds of questions answered about DarkFall. If you have a question about it, the answer is very likely in there.

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=43318

R

Rykus

BR - AoC is a decent game, have been there about a month now. I definitely prefer it over others like DDO, SWG, DAoC, and AO. I refuse to play WoW, so I don't exactly know what I'm missing there, but I can only guess I wouldn't like it either because I'm not really into huge flaming eye candy swords and fantastic effects. DDO had that in spades, where AoC does not. The world is built beautifully, and there are some really cool things they have inplemented in combat, which keeps PvP fom being boring and repetitive.

I am now a 47th lvl (of 80) Herald of Xotli and in the last week I've had several encounters with people within 8 or so levels of me where we fought for several minutes. It's very nice to play a game once again where PvP can last for MINUTES, instead of a greater dragon chomping your ass for a 1 or 2 hit insta kill. The guild combat in the borderlands is cool, though with the numbers dwindling, it isn't as fun as it could be (sounds familiar). I do like it that each level advancement is incremental instead of monumental, so you can actually attack someone 5 levels higher than you, and have a real chance of beating them if you are decently skilled. I killed someone 10 levels higher than me the other day because I made good use of tactics. By that I mean I hid on the road, and as they rode by I swung my 2-handed sword and knocked them off their horse. As they were getting up I pounded the hell out of them, and eventually won. Was awesome, and we had a good chat after it was finished.

With that said, and as much as I'm enjoying it for now, I know that it won't be something I enjoy long-term. There's not enough diversity in it, and coming from a persistent state world (PSW) like UO, I am not satisfied with the lvl grind, that leads to a (from what I hear) fairly empty end-game. I'm sure they will add more over time, as they have added a boatload of stuff with each weekly patch, but the core game is not something I will enjoy for a long time.

In any case, if you are bored and want to try it now, I can send you a buddy code. Just PM me your email and I'd be happy to send it.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With that said, and as much as I'm enjoying it for now, I know that it won't be something I enjoy long-term. There's not enough diversity in it, and coming from a persistent state world (PSW) like UO, I am not satisfied with the lvl grind, that leads to a (from what I hear) fairly empty end-game. I'm sure they will add more over time, as they have added a boatload of stuff with each weekly patch, but the core game is not something I will enjoy for a long time.

In any case, if you are bored and want to try it now, I can send you a buddy code. Just PM me your email and I'd be happy to send it.
Hmm, that's strange. The end-game in AoC is exactly what's making this game so damn great. The end-game, is actually what the Developers are and have been focused on the whole time... which was the initial problem... not enough "grind" content.

My friends are all in it... they are mostly level 80s and already we have our tier 3 city up and running and Sieges are a blast, from what I've seen (got to play for a tiny bit on a friends PC.) it is going to be great.

It is an overwhelming consensus... the real fun doesn't begin until you start besieging other cities/guilds/alliances. I got to take part in one already... and omgoose it was intense.

They just addressed the majority of gem issues a few weeks ago, which I had been waiting for since release as it's one of the 3 issues I had with the game.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=159579

I am waiting for 2 other fixes...

One is PvP and one shot balances... and there is a charge exploit that allows you to kill people in a split second (they are looking into it.)

and finally, the last I'm waiting for is more content which is being addressed in patches such as this recent one:

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=158417

* The Catacombs in Tarantia Nobel district offers a host of new quests and encounters to challenge you in this group instance.
which included bonus's such as this:

* Due to popular demand, we've forced some of our female Derketo followers to burn their bras.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really, it's well worth it, once you get into a good group of people and hit the end-game... very well worth it.

my 2 cents.

R

Rykus

*nods*

What I meant by end-game in previous post was the questing content, etc.. For the PvP, as you said, 80 is where that really begins, though you can certainly have fun in various places until you get there. I know I have.. :)

I am just a few bubbles shy of lvl 50 now. Hopefully it won't take too long to hit 80 so I can start having more PvP fun.

O

Ole Cheapy

I am currently playing Age of Conan, and lotsa ppl there are already talking about how empty it's going to be when this is released. It won't be a WoW killer, but there is no doubt in my mind that this will be the most played PvP-oriented MMOG out there.

It looks like they need to do some graphics polishing still, but after this long I'd bet they have the important stuff done right. I just enabled my UO accounts one more time (for housing), and I'm thinking it will be the last time ever. Will be selling lots of stuff in the near future, and probably a few houses. ...if anyone will be left to buy them. heh
You see that's the thing that bothers me, let's say it's 1969 and all tv's are in black and white, then someone comes along and say he's gonna begin making tv's that are in color!! Whoopie!! But along the way of producing this color tv, he stumbles across all kinds of problems and he doesn't get the color tv's ready for market until 2008. Well guess what, his brilliant idea for color tube tv's are now obsolete! They now have wide screen HD 1080p etc. etc. etc., so now his color tv's doesn't seem all that great cause while it took him 40 years to produce his all new legendary color tv's, both time and technology passed him by. You get the point?

Darkfall is too late!!

DaveSP!

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You see that's the thing that bothers me, let's say it's 1969 and all tv's are in black and white, then someone comes along and say he's gonna begin making tv's that are in color!! Whoopie!! But along the way of producing this color tv, he stumbles across all kinds of problems and he doesn't get the color tv's ready for market until 2008. Well guess what, his brilliant idea for color tube tv's are now obsolete! They now have wide screen HD 1080p etc. etc. etc., so now his color tv's doesn't seem all that great cause while it took him 40 years to produce his all new legendary color tv's, both time and technology passed him by. You get the point?

Darkfall is too late!!
Stupid analogy - what better full loot open pvp games have been made while its been in development?

M

Masumatek

Lol? Ok...I'll play along.

So let's say it's whenever...hundreds of years ago say and a lot of medical problems plague humanity, lots of diseases, no medicine, etc...Along comes the 20th and 21st centuries and bam, there's great medicine, we've improved quality of life, blah blah blah. Sure, countless millions would have been saved had these great advances come along sooner, but does that fact make them not welcome now?

The MMO world is sick and DarkFall is the cure. :p

K

K'torr

I just DLed and viewed DFs latest in-game video. I'd put my UO account up for sale, but I don't think it's going to be worth anything.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BR - AoC is a decent game, have been there about a month now. I definitely prefer it over others like DDO, SWG, DAoC, and AO. I refuse to play WoW, so I don't exactly know what I'm missing there, but I can only guess I wouldn't like it either because I'm not really into huge flaming eye candy swords and fantastic effects. DDO had that in spades, where AoC does not. The world is built beautifully, and there are some really cool things they have inplemented in combat, which keeps PvP fom being boring and repetitive.
Having tried just about everything else, I really think you should at least give a WoW trial account a spin, Rykus...especially with the new Death Knight class coming in the expansion...I would think that would suit your RP sense quite well. You have nothing to lose but a bit of time spent playing if you don't like it, after all.

I thought I would hate WoW. I did not like any of the screenshots I saw, gameplay trailers, and 3D games in general give me nausea/headache.

However, once I tried it, most especially playing again with my favorite UO companions once again, I was totally hooked. No the game is not perfect, we know no game is, nor does all aspects of it appeal to me...but over a year later, I am still having fun, and looking forward to the expansion. :)

-Skylark

O

Ole Cheapy

Stupid analogy - what better full loot open pvp games have been made while its been in development?
Only judging a game based on its "looting rights" alone has to be the most stupid thing I've ever heard/read. Or, maybe it's suiting for simple minded people. *shrugs*

M

Magnolia

Only judging a game based on its "looting rights" alone has to be the most stupid thing I've ever heard/read. Or, maybe it's suiting for simple minded people. *shrugs*

Sooooo smarty... What part of "open pvp games" in his statement did you not understand? He included that along with "looting right" and that says it all and why so many players have been interested in this old idea for this new game... praying it would hurry up and happen before we lost all illusion for the gaming world.

Sooo much for the judges of "simple minded people" reading comprehension. :scholar:

O

Ole Cheapy

Sooooo smarty... What part of "open pvp games" in his statement did you not understand? He included that along with "looting right" and that says it all and why so many players have been interested in this old idea for this new game... praying it would hurry up and happen before we lost all illusion for the gaming world.

Sooo much for the judges of "simple minded people" reading comprehension. :scholar:
It's not about his statement, it's about my original statement. Go back reread it again. BTW..How old are you?

M

Magnolia

It's not about his statement, it's about my original statement. Go back reread it again. BTW..How old are you?

aaah, the old "when all else fails, just stop making sense" trick!
Hey.. I love my age.. I have lots more of EVERYTHING and would not be that young again if you paid me... but I was trying to find his original posting and could not find what he was talking about except something that had nothing to do with anything.... so I guess I need to go hunt for my bifocals to be able to see better if I missed what he was referring to? :eyes: hahah... Hi Dave...

O

Ole Cheapy

LOL I can't believe you're arguing about the quality of:coco: a game that has been in development for 7 years. Just WOWzers!:coco:

M

MatrixCubed

All I can say is...I was here (Sosaria) when you came...I'll be here when you're gone...