• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Stealing] Daily and Stealable rares info

G

Gowron

Hi! I played this game back in 98 and 99 when it first came out, then left for about 10 years. This is my second day back, so to find this thread was awesome! I got the fruit basket this morning, but I just tried all the crates at the smithy shop in Serpents hold and NOTHING of interest was in the crates. Just some ore and such. Did I do something wrong, or is it not guarenteed to spawn there? I can't remember. Also, the dried flowers/herbs- I went there yesterday in Moonglow and couldn't find any crates at all to open... just a lock box, and when I unlocked that and went through all the traps, it was for some garbage not even worth wasting my healing potions on!! Any help would be great, I can't seem to remember anything anymore!
My experience with any of the "crates" was that in order for the semi rares to respawn, the crate had to be emptied. At least for the Serpents Hold smithy shop, the items in there are so heavy now, that it's just not worth my time to empty them anymore.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
the ones in buc den smithy you empty them then prime them with 1 item and they randomly re spawn (at least i have always primed them)

C

Conrad

Howdy!

I just returned to UO recently and dusted off the thief.

Almost immediately, I noticed that the semi-rare spawns were quite different then what I remembered. I ended up here to find some information. Some of the posts indicated that things were different then the original sticky post. I decided to go test some things out and post my findings here.

All this testing was done on the Pacific shard.

As Petra pointed out (thanks!), many containers need to be primed. I did this two different ways. At first I just tried opening the container, then coming back 20 mins later. Then I tried actually dropping something(a single ginseng) in the container. Both methods seem to work equally, although the northern Ranger hut (Felluca) has a chest(locked) that wouldn't spawn anything until I put something in it.

For the most part, containers DO need to be opened (primed) and 20 mins needs to go by before they spawn anything. As a rule of thumb, if it doesn't have anything in it, open it then come back and check it again 20 mins later.

On a side note, the locked containers seem to be on a 25 min re-lock timer. In other words, you can pick a lock, empty the container, come back in 20 mins and the items will have respawned, but the container will still be unlocked from you unlocking it earlier. 5 mins after the items respawn, the chest will lock and traps will re-arm. So if you are punctual getting back to it, you only have to pick the lock (and deal with traps) the first time as opening it resets both timers.

This brings me to another point. Once you prime a container, DO NOT OPEN IT until you can get the cursor TOOLTIP to show items are actually in the container. If you open the container to check it's contents before the respawn happens, the timer resets and you have to wait another, full 20 mins. Patience!

Here are some specifics.

Buc's Den Smithy-
Spawn still works (ONLY the two barrels inside the smith shop, the one outside just normally despawns anything put in it). Open the barrels to prime them. The drop list in Petra's post for the Smithy in Serpent's Hold applies here. I got wire, horse shoes and forged metal the first spawn, along with various hammers and piles of iron ore. These barrels are NOT locked, and items can be freely picked up, no need to steal them.

Buc's Den Inn-
I was able to get some of the containers in here to start spawning. Some need primed simply by opening, some needed an item dropped in them to prime them. Some were locked, some not. No stealing needed. All that spawned were alcoholic beverages that were sold on the innkeeper in the same room. But this does show that spawns I was previously unaware of can be started with priming. I always assumed these containers were not spawns simply because of the fact that for the past 10 years I haven't bothered to come back 20 mins later and check.

Buc's Den Assassins Guild-
The 3 chests in the back room can be primed by dropping an item in them and just leaving it. Orc helms, tribal masks and deer/bear masks spawn in them. Locked, no stealing. Again, just goes to show that there are specific spawns that can be triggered. Makes me wonder if any spawns--possibly ones with unknown items--might have been over-looked, historically speaking.

Healer's Huts-
Clean Bandages (reversed graphic) spawned in the gold strongbox in the Skara Brae Healer Hut (Trammel), locked, no priming needed, still had to be stolen. Spawned various other non-rare items as well. I assume this spawn is working in the other healer huts as well.

Moonglow Herbalist Shop-
Hanging Dried Flowers, Garlic and Herbs still spawning here, locked, no priming needed, needed to be stolen. Only tested Trammel.

Skara Ranger Huts-
Priming seems to get both the unlocked barrels and the locked chests spawning, but NO whips would spawn in the 6 hours I was checking, either in Trammel OR Felluca. The whip spawn would seem to be dead, at least on Pacific. All I got out of these chests were archery items, clothes and random garbage armor.

Various Provisioners(Trammel and Felluca)-
I was able to get all the old provisioner spawns going with priming. Still locked(some), still needed to steal the items. In addition to all the items listed in Petra's post, I also found reversed sausages(!) in two of these spawns. Not sure if this is normal, historically speaking.

Serpent's Hold Smithy(Trammel)-
Not worth the effort. MOST of the containers here have items too heavy to steal. Not all, but most. What items I cleared out (dying to a guard-whack numerous times, the items are usually heavy and you get noticed too easy) were replaced with more of the same. I didn't see any wire, ingots, horse shoes...nothing of value. Everything that USED to spawn here spawns MUCH faster in Buc's Den. Better off going there.

Britain Carpenter's Shop(Trammel and Felluca)-
All the containers here (locked or not, but excluding the dressers) were spawning nicely after an initial priming. Chisels still spawning. Some containers locked, some not. Stealing not needed.

Britain Baker's Shop(Trammel)-
Strongbox (locked) spawned two rolling pins on first try, no priming needed. Still needed to be stolen, though.

Serpent's Hold Tinkers(Trammel and Felluca)-
Only one container had anything in it...3 un-stealable keyrings. Spawn is blocked until they are removed. Update: All tinker spawns are blocked by keyrings on Pacific. I tried everything I could think of--using keys on the keyrings, essentially--to get the rings to register a weight, to no avail. The fact that they have no weight means they will not be stealable as the success of a stealing attempt is based on the weight of the item being stolen. No weight, no attempt. I did find something interesting though. You can put a key on the rings in the chest and they will STAY there as long as nobody removes them from the ring. One could use this fact as part of a player-made quest/roleplaying mechanic by putting a key in there that someone needs to find in order to open a container.

So, there you have it. I am still trying out some other things (another method of re-starting spawns) and still have other spawns to test, but I suspect some of the spawns will remain blocked/dead until GMs fix them.

I will update this post as I find out more.

V

vitamin

thanks to each one for all the work put into this. also very helpful :thumbup1:

TheGhostRaider

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those the Gargish Memorial Statue Spam at the bottom of the stair. Been looking for a while and can't seen to find it. Just wonder if I'm at the right location. thx

E

Emma Royds

Those the Gargish Memorial Statue Spam at the bottom of the stair. Been looking for a while and can't seen to find it. Just wonder if I'm at the right location. thx
I was thinking the same, then i dropped on one a few days ago, so yes it is the correct spawn location.

O

Old Man of UO

I've got 3 and all were in the passage way directly west of the stairway. It's possible and likely they spawn in a general area, not a fixed spot.

E

Emma Royds

I've got 3 and all were in the passage way directly west of the stairway. It's possible and likely they spawn in a general area, not a fixed spot.
i looked everywhere for a west passage, is this a hidden passage at the top of the stairs? the only passage i found is the one south east that leads over to the bridge then onto the book of truth. you don't happen to mean this one.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've finally remembered to update the SA map with the location of the Crown of Arcane Temperament (thanks for the PM you sent me forever ago Yalp :))

I don't have images of the crown or of it's stats though, so if anyone has those, feel free to post them :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spawns at the lower end of SeaMarket in the sea, daily rare. Just pick it up, if you're there early enough :D

Guardian KX

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Petra,

It would be nice if there was a little pic spread below the doom locations map. Just to see a pic of the torn painting taken on Siege (hehe). The rest of the little pic spreads for the other stuff is awesome... Great Job!:thumbsup:

P

PuddyMae

I was in Serps Hold trying to get the copper wire. I found some but it was stacked in 3. Its weight was 15 stone. Is there anyway to get this?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think when you steal them you take 1 or 2 off. Will take a few tries.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no knowledge of a bookcase being a daily rare. Can you give any more detail?

F

Finrod Annare

it was in fel yew and it was a bookcase that looked like it was full of books

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Added to the OP, seaweed, daily rare, no stealing skill required.

J

Jonathan Baron

Beginner's question regarding these SA and other dungeon stealable items.

I read and understood the part about the rarity number being the spawn rate. When they do spawn is it at a different time of the day each instance? I would imagine so or else every stealable would be boresighted and macroed but I have to ask.

Many thanks, folks :)

-

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the reply Petra.

I've just got my first 30 skill from NPC and got a pack horse ready to train!

When I try in Trammel is says "the creature blocked the attempt".

I guess I need to go to Fel to train? Is using gold coins ok?

Snuggs105

Visitor
*BUMP* I just returned also, I noticed all my dried herbs and onions have disappeared from my bank boxes (I've gone approx 10 years). Do these still spawn? They made nice Deco.

Shannow

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
*BUMP* I just returned also, I noticed all my dried herbs and onions have disappeared from my bank boxes (I've gone approx 10 years). Do these still spawn? They made nice Deco.
Yes, if none are in the crates, you will need to empty them first and then wait till they respawn/refill

Calla Lily

Journeyman
I have a thief in training and would like to be able to steal as many of these items as possible, but I can’t decide what her template should be. Will she have to do a lot of fighting to get to the Doom stealables? She is strictly a Trammel thief and won’t be participating in PK at all. She doesn’t really like to fight (it’s an RP thing.) Here is her current template. Should she drop or add anything?

77 Hiding
100 Lockpicking
60 Magery
43 Meditation
41 Resisting Spells
92 Stealing
32 Stealth
42 Wrestling

Last edited:

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is my thief, who used to be something else so he's got odd skills now pointing down - working on bringing up detect, and he's got 100 magery for traveling and healing (which he does after he's run away from the baddies), no meditation - he doesn't fight unless cornered, Trammel only - hides and stealths everywhere - about the only things he has no luck with are the paintings in Blackthorns, always getting revealed :(

upload_2019-10-2_0-50-8.png

Shannow

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
I have the same, but with 110 ninjitsu
dog to heal, wolf to stealth around more quickly.
However, if you plan on doing exodus deco boxes for essence - dont bother relying on gm remove trap - I get poisoned and fail all the time and spend my entire time stealthing around as a dog waiting for the poison to wear off.
Tried alchemy, poisoning, 50% enhance potions+greater cure pots, orange petals etc. nothing cures that poison.
For stealing rares - I switch out a skill for fencing - dagger shadow strike is great for auto hiding

Dulock

Visitor
When going for things like wire from blacksmith shops, I have 2 questions...
1) Do I need to empty the chest to get more stuff to show up?
2) What defines blacksmith shop? Do weapon/armor/fletching locations count too, or literally just blacksmith locations?

Riner

Journeyman
Governor
What an incredible thread. This really should be stickied in the crime forum. It has so much great information for a beginning thief.