• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cursor lag in 2D with new computer - Help!

• Thread starter imported_GreatPumpkinator
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_GreatPumpkinator

OK, first, computer specs:

Old System, where there were no problems:
Inspiron 9200
Pentium M 1.8 Ghz
2 GB RAM
128 MB ATI Radeon Mobility (shared an extra 128 MB for a total of up to 256 MB Video RAM)
Windows Vista Enterprise (Ultimate)

New System with issues:
Inspiron 1720
Pentium Dual Core 1.46 Ghz
2 GB RAM
128 MB Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS (shares and extra 767 MB for a total of up to 895 MB Video RAM)
Windows Vista Enterprise (Ultimate)

The problem is this: There seems to be "lag" with the cursor in 2D now. It's hard to explain...it's kind of like, when I move the cursor, there is a split second wait before it starts moving, and then when I stop moving the cursor, it moves for a split second longer. This ONLY happens in Ultima...other games like NWN2, Diablo II, Warcraft III, are not affected. It is VERY difficult to play because of it - you try targetting something

Anyone else have a similiar issue, or know of a way to fix this? I've tried to have the mouse run is a separate thread in the options, as well as not, and I still get the same effect.

KR is not effected, in fact, KR runs really sweet now, and looks pretty nice (though, the playability is still not enough for me too fully switch).

Any help would be nice. Thanks in advance!

G

Try toggling Run Mouse in Separate Thread and see what that does for you.

Should still be in the Options somewhere (been awhile since I've checked though).

I

<blockquote><hr>

Try toggling Run Mouse in Separate Thread and see what that does for you.

Should still be in the Options somewhere (been awhile since I've checked though).

[/ QUOTE ]

Already tried that (mentioned that in my post actually)...

G

ahh, ok... missed it.

In that case... *shrug*

Sorry, that was the first thing that came to mind.

I

I found the answer to my problem finally. For those of us with 2 or more processors...run task manager, right click on the client.exe process and select "affinity". Finally, uncheck all but the first cpu and click ok.

You're all set - no more cursor lag!!!!

...This might be sticky-worthy information...no?

G

How about a writeup of the scenario and the exact fix ... post it in Tech and I'll sticky it until I can splice it in where it would be better.

Also, since this is Vista ... do you know if there would be a difference using XP on similar systems?

I

I'll put a post in Tech...I imagine there won't be a difference between XP and Vista....it seems to be a problem with having multiple processors.

It hit me to try it last night when I remembered a different game having issues with Dual Core systems...and that was the fix that stuck in my head.

G

Saw your Tech post ... it's locked/stickied and I posted a note to all that it's there.

Thanks!

E

Elowan of Wind

Initiated fix and whilst the problem improved - I'm still experiencing mouse stutter.

G

I have the "run mouse in separate thread" option selected in 2D. do you? I'm REALLY at work now and can't point directly to where it is, but see if that is turned on.