• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Cures) All the other things I could have been doing.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This would not have happened if we knew that a single pair of sleeves will be awarded to one of the top contributors for every 50 participants and the rest of the rewards will have a more wider range. Even a single response for the common criticism would help too.

However, this issue is not the only thing that suffers from the lack of communication. We haven't seen a farewell message, or even a forum post, for TheGrimmOmen who changed his occupation from "Lead CG Supervisor" to "Pacific NW Zombie Control Officer" today. In the past, I remember farewell messages for summer interns posted on uoherald, so I thought there will be one for a developer who spent his last 10 years working for our precious game.

The main job description for the producer of Ultima Online is "Producer Ultima Online - Interact with community, set high-level goals and vision for Ultima Online, clear roadblocks which allows the team to get its jobs done". I know Mesanna has enough time to interact with the community as she often paints whatever those masks are on various shards but if she finds the criticism on stratics too negative to response, we need a community manager who can do that job for Mesanna (like TheGrimmOmen does, oh wait..).

DanteSignas

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The main job description for the producer of Ultima Online is "Producer Ultima Online - Interact with community, set high-level goals and vision for Ultima Online, clear roadblocks which allows the team to get its jobs done". I know Mesanna has enough time to interact with the community as she often paints whatever those masks are on various shards but if she finds the criticism on stratics too negative to response, we need a community manager who can do that job for Mesanna (like TheGrimmOmen does, oh wait..).

Whoa whoa whoa buddy, you don't want to piss off the Mesanna fanbois and girls.

I don't know about anyone else but just because I happen to have seen or maybe talked to Mesanna or any other EM, GM, Dev or whoever else in game once or whatever, doesn't mean they :

1. Are knowledgeable about the game as it is right now.
2. Even seriously give a crap about what anyone thinks.

It's been ample time since the cure debacle occurred and we still haven't seen ANYONE even attempt to explain WTF happened.

FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL

Especially so close to the 15th anny.

I feel betrayed, disrespected and downright ignored at this point.

I don't care how busy they may be or what little paltry thing they have planned. They have shown us with their silence that our opinions DO NOT MATTER.

The patch notes were thrown out to us to get us to forget what just happened.

Blizzard has MILLIONS of subscribers and they ADDRESS whats happening when there's a big problem or community outcry. There aren't many UO players left as the numbers of cure "winners" show. And still we get no such courtesy.

FAIL!

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) You are right. The cure quest was one of the WORST ideas they ever had. I don't get how they didn't anticipate this backlash.

2) lol at your list.

That is all.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How is the casual player suppose to compete in a game which requires players to drop real life and commit all time available to uo?
The answer is your not.

This Event has been a shocker to me, because I could not understand what the Developers were trying to achieve when they designed the Event in a way that saw casual players have to compete versus powergamers to get the best rewards (not to mention the worries about scripting which is unfortunately still not been ridden from UO....).

From what I seem to understand, the majority of players in Ultima Online are casual players with a limited time to be able to spend in the game. So, when I read the details of this Event where the efforts (and thus time spent playing it) where to be matched versus those players who could spend way more time in the game playing it than the casual players, I got shocked that rather than tailoring an Event to those who are the majority of players in UO, it was tailored to those very few players who can play much more time in UO.

Such a recipe for an Event, I imagined, not only was not fitting for my casual playing (and infact I had to give up even trying to participate to the Event; I would have liked participating, but the way it was designed which effectively cut me out from the best rewards because of my limited time in the game made me feel that participating was useless...), but could also most likely lead (as it has then happened from posts I am reading about it...) to a very limited participation of players to the Event and to a vast majority of players, the casual players with limited time to play the game like me, very very upset about the way all this had been handled.

And, I thought, this is not positive for Ultima Online, IMHO, especially given the fact that we are in its 15th Anniversary Year. What is positive about making upset the vast majority of the UO players, the casual players with limited time to play it with this Event ? I have no clue......... so it is a mistery to me why this Event was designed the way we have seen.

I just hope, now, that steps will be taken to fix all this and restore faith of casual players in the game by :

1). Make this Event's rewards again available to casual players via other drops like it was announced for the +5 stats scroll ;

2). This is the very last time we will see any new content in the game that will see casual players having a limited time to play UO have to compete with powergamers in order to get rewarded for their efforts playing the game.

Something else which surprises me as well is that so far, that I may have noticed, no official representative has so far replied to players' concerns and complaints about this Event.
I think it is very important for the better sake of the game that players get answers to their concerns and complaints and most of all, assurances for the future. Personally, I fear that leaving upset players in the dark is not a good thing because the upset player might eventually become a quitting player thus further diminishing the number of active subscriptions and thus important resources for Ultima Online.

Think about it, if I am a casual player with limited time to play the game and I am loosing faifth that the game will allow me to still be competitive when playing against powergamers despite of my more limited time to play the game, why shouldn't I then come to the conclusion that it makes no sense for me to keep paying my subscription to a game where I simply have no hope to be competitive against powergamers because the way the game is designed penalizes my more limited time to be able to play the game like this Event ?
This is why I think it is important that upset casual players get answers to their concerns and worries, not just for this one Event but most importantly for how Ultima Online new content will be managed for the future.

Casual players and powergamers all support Ultima Online with their subscriptions likewise. The available time to play the game should never be a discriminant factor to have access to higher rewards and this, especially when those players with less time handy to play the game are the majority of the players in the game. Sure, powergamers may have access to get more of those rewards, but casual players should always and steadily have access to them, even though on a reduced quantity, regardless from their much more limited time to play the game. For example, as a casual player with limited time to play the game, I may not care if a powergamer may get 10 of the brazers but I certainly care that I would be ensured that my participation at least might grant me one of them to still maintain my competitiveness when playing the game, despite of my limited time to play it. That's at least as I personally see it.

Last edited:

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Well...
Let me tell you the story of a guy who devoted his life once to Diablo 1, UO and WoW.
He was 24 as he started hardcore gaming and it took him 10 years to realize what it has done to him.
After he quit his job because he thought he needs even MORE time to play games, he divorced, only lived in his virtual worlds.
One day his father, who always stand behind his sons decissions even he mostly didnt even have a clue what he is doing right on, asked him if he ever
thought about the past years or the upcoming years probably catching himselfe MISSING something of the real world - so the at this time 34 year old man
began to think about what his father asked him - and he suddenly knew what he meant. So the guy woke up and started a new career - in the real world.
He worked his ass off getting a foot into the IT-Industry and was succesfull - he tried to contact his old friends and was succesfull - he managed to get his once wife back..
He now still plays computer games, for fun, if he got time for it, but not dedicating his whole life to it - even if it sometimes seems so if you watch how often he hangs out on this boards, lol

So what i want to say is, GET BACK TO LIFE - UO IS ONLY A GAME

Last edited: