• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cu Training advice - goo or no goo

KennyAr

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Training a Cu for Chiv/AI, hesitating on whether to include Explosive Goo or save the points for Hits/manas.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Chiv+AI excels in single target DPS. Exploding Goo is an AoE ability. When it comes to pet abilities, less is more. The less abilities it knows, the more it'll spam the abilities it does know. A Chiv+AI Cu will use AI more often than a Chiv+AI+EG Cu. Chiv is also counter productive to an AoE build, since EoO and Divine Fury means it'll receive more incoming damage. Usually, i have pets dedicated towards single target DPS, or AoE, not both at the same time. Mixing the two ends up with a pet that isn't very good at either single target nor AoE.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am wondering, what would GENERALLY (specialized pets aside) be the 2nd best combo after AI+chiv on a pet? As chiv is not multi-monster friendly, I am thinking along the lines of AI+disco and AI+grasping claw etc. depending on the pet and its elemental damage (so basically, AI+"something debuffing elemental resists") and do the AoE myself (with necro or spellweaving or even melee skills) during occasional champ runs. This way, I have to just swap skills on soulstones instead of having every pet in two versions (single and AoE), which would save me many stable slots let alone a fortune in power scrolls.

Edit: Also after re-reading the last comment, if "less is more", I wonder if the best combo is no combo, just AI + nothing in order to force pets using AI if no other magical ability/special can really compete with AI and chiv.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
AI by itself is good, but I like AI on my Disco pet because there are places (like the roof) where you fight multiple things where some are Disco immune and some aren't.

I also have a disco/mortal/bleed pet for fighting creatures that have healing or are known to spam heals.

So, while an AI-only pet does maximize AI use, if you do put disco on a pet later, you'll want more than Disco on it - and will want to make those extras based on what its role will be (Goo for fighting spawn, AI for non-healers, etc.)

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
A drawback of the Explosive Goo (and probably other Area Spells, but we really haven't had nearly enough game time to be sure on that) is that when your pet is tanking a heavy/dangerous critter it might redline them and then suddenly happily wander off to the minion on the edge of your screen because it has been hit with the Goo. Highly annoying!

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am wondering, what would GENERALLY (specialized pets aside) be the 2nd best combo after AI+chiv on a pet? As chiv is not multi-monster friendly, I am thinking along the lines of AI+disco and AI+grasping claw etc. depending on the pet and its elemental damage (so basically, AI+"something debuffing elemental resists") and do the AoE myself (with necro or spellweaving or even melee skills) during occasional champ runs. This way, I have to just swap skills on soulstones instead of having every pet in two versions (single and AoE), which would save me many stable slots let alone a fortune in power scrolls.

Edit: Also after re-reading the last comment, if "less is more", I wonder if the best combo is no combo, just AI + nothing in order to force pets using AI if no other magical ability/special can really compete with AI and chiv.
There's a few good combos. FWW+Poison Breath on a Najasaurus is the highest AoE damage output of any pet. A Triton with just FWW is also pretty good at AoE, and can self heal. Disco+Conductive Blast Triton pairs extremely well with a full Tamer/Mage for Death Ray nuking. Rune Corruption is incredibly powerful during a group fight.

At 120 Chiv, EoO boosts damage by 82%, Con Wep by 15%, and Divine Fury by 20% (not to mention +15% HCI/+15% SSI, but -10% DCI), and these all stack to boost AI damage. I've seen my pets do 252+ damage AIs before due to Chiv boosting it, so Chiv pairs extremely well with AI. Chiv+AI deals more damage than just AI alone does.