• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creature Feature #7: Dat Sum Gud 'Splosions, The Orc Bomber

E

Elyssar

I decided to grab the orc invasion by the tail and do another Feature on orcs, while people still care. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

No orc is so misunderstood as the orc bomber. Does he or does he not provoke pets onto owners? If he sometimes does, is this only due to bad coding? And why is he carrying bola balls?

Hmmmm I've provided pretty pictures, and questions, so I'll let everyone else provide info (loot, fame, offensive/defensive capabilities, spawn area, etc) and haikus. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

I'll go on record as saying that I don't believe the bomber provokes. I've hunted them with mares, kirin, dragons, and frenzied ostards and none of my pets ever attacked my characters.

As far as offense, the orc bomber has a devastating attack. At sometime during your battle with them, they will fire a double-bomb attack that can do up to 80 points of damage. Under no circumstances do you want 2 of them targeting you at the same time (unless a trip to the healer is your idea of a fun time).

Defense? Can you say magic resist? I had more than one bomber laugh off my GM mage/GM eval attack of poison, explo, flamestike, ebolt and still have about 1/3 health. Warriors do better damage, but you have to keep your heals up, or be prepared to run off, heal, and engage again.

Tactics I used: I would poison the bomber, run off, heal from the bombs it hit me with, pre-cast and run back in. I noticed that distance from the bomber lessened the damage from the bombs. My warrior would take a Greater strength potion, start a heal, drink a Greater Heal potion, and then attack. If I got off a deadly poison, I held distance and plinked away with my bow. If I didn't poison the bomboer, I would hold distance and plink away with my bow, and regret that I didn't get a poisoning strike.

So far I've collected enough bola balls for 10 bolas, so I've done pretty well.

<center>
</center>

J

James of GL

I hate 'em. Nuff said /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Lat speek gud urk speek! Wher lat knuw, humie?

<font color=blue>"I try to get away from the Tamers' Forum, but they keep dragging me back in!"

I

Imoen

lets try again shall we...what are the odds of getting on of them ball chappys on them ?

<center>
<center>

J

James of GL

50/50, as far as I know.

<font color=blue>"I try to get away from the Tamers' Forum, but they keep dragging me back in!"

S

Socko

Iam with Jean on this one, i haven't seen them provoke, but i have seen them retarget me, if i get too close. Wierd thingies

<font color=red>Zeyke the Hermit</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Chesapeak Legend</font color=blue>
<font color=green> Baja Seer of Justice </font color=green>

<font color=blue>Ape </font color=blue> of <font color=red>God </font color=red>
<font color=purple>founder of OLA Ostard Liberation Army </font color=purple>

R

Ronnus

All I have to say is that they are brutal. I was out hunting them with my GM warrior with full platemail (because I was afraid of getting my pets provoked on to me) and I was targeted by two bombers. Next thing I see is black and gray......OOoooOooOooooo. I suggest hunting in groups if you don't have pets with you.

W

WindKeeper4

those bombs hurt, and they seem to do area of effect damage. anyway my fresh tamed uni can kill one but that usually brings her down to half life, ugh. i hate them. i hate them. i hate them. now for the haiku!

o bomb of the orc
you throw flaming oil at me
i am hating you

stilted yes, but i am horrible at poetry.

G

Bomber bomber skin of red,
Bombing me til I am dead.
Are you red because you're hot,
Or the weapon that you got?

When you throw your bombs at me,
I must choose to die or flee.
I know how to run about,
Since I tried to kill a scout.

Are you red because of blood?
Don't you ever throw a dud?

I can beat just one of you,
But I lose if there are two.
First a flash and then a boom,
And I find I healer's room.

Didn't see you don't know how,
Did you loot my corpse just now?

Bomber red and scout of green,
Meanest combo I have seen.
A thwack a boom and Ooo OOo ooO,
How I hate the both of you.

I'm not mad to die of course,
But did you have to kill my horse?

Scouts have bows and mages masks,
To find that loot is quite a task.
Now people hunt you night and day
Cause you've got balls from what they say. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

<center>
</center>

I

Ihsans_Shade

Soz but i can't follow up that one jean/php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

but i can tell ya that orc bombers cannot be provoked onto other targets/php-bin/shared/images/icons/sad.gif
nice thing is that 2 orc choppers provoked onto 1 will kill it[biggrin

"Ihsan, the weak. Ihsan, the fallen. Ihsan, the betrayer.
He brought shame to the Serra Paladins where none existed before. May his suffering equal his betrayal."

W

WindKeeper4

darn it jean claude now i have to come up with a new haiku /php-bin/shared/images/icons/squint.gif
*sniffle*
*goes off to the chinese rock garden and meditates*

B

Belwoois

Things I've noticed about the bombers is their bombs seem to be similiar to breath weapons, inthat at low health their bombs seem to do little damage. They also retarget a fair bit after they have things provoked onto them.

Oh and OSI forgot to make them real orcs. Meaning that my repond axe gets its extra damage against all the new orcs except the bombers. Question is, is this a mistake or did they do it on purpose?

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.

V

VeraAmadus

I have to agree that they don't provoke pets onto owners...maybe a couple of people just got unlucky? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

<font color=000080> Also: Dimitri Amadus (Archer/Axer), Vlad Amadus (Fencer/Bard) and others!</font color=000080>

D

DuNoir

<font color=27408B>From my personal experiences and studies, it would seem that orc bombers do *not* provoke pets and/or cause them to go wild instantly... However, it does seem that for some odd reason, bombers make pets with high enough magery want to cast mass curse a lot... Now, we all know what happens when pets start mass cursing in justice regions...

<font color=27408B>But only in their dreams can men be truly free. 'Twas always thus and always thus will be.</font color=27408B>

W

WolfZbane

As apparently people haven't been reading my post about orc bombers, I'll paste it here.

<blockquote><hr>

I just posted this to Calandryll:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, as you are in charge of the quest scenario I have a question for you.
The Stratics tamer forums are flooded with messages about pets going wild on their owners, attacking them and being guardwacked while fighting the orc bomber.
What I want to know, is if this is indeed implemented or is it just coincidence? If it is indeed implemented, is there any way a tamer can defend themselves against this.
It's not that I consider this quest deadly important, but all those posts and paranoia are extremely boring and irritate me. Can you please give me an answer on what is going on?

Wolfsbane

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was the reaction I just got:

The bombers don't have any specific code to attack, damage, or hinder tamers. I've read the reports and we have investigated them, however, the bombers do not have any scripts attached to them that go after pets or tamers.

-Jonathan "Calandryll" Hanna
Designer, Ongoing Content

I hope this clears things up a bit

<hr></blockquote>

I'm quite amused that this is starting all over again. And even that the mods apparently don't read every post *sigh*
Anyway, it is indeed not programmed. It's most likely that those whacks happened when the dragon or wyrm did a mass curse or maybe it's a bug similiar to the ethereal horse thinggy.

But now, back to the orc bomber:

The orc bomber is a filthy SOB! His bombs do a lot of damage and have area effect. Vetting your pet while it's fighting a bomber is thus not adviced as you're likely to kick the bucket sooner than your pet.
5 bombers might even take a dragon down, as 2 bombers got my dragon down to somewhere between the 3/4 and the 2/3 health.
However, it's loot is worth it:
- at max 10 and at least 6 regs of the following type: mandrake, black pearl and ash
- an explosion potion
- around a 100 gp outside his backpack, and around the 100 gp in his backpack.
- iron ingots
- mortar
- a 50% chance of getting a bola ball.

4 bola balls, combined with 3 pieces of leather are the materials needed for an "experienced" tinker to create a bola.

Bola's are used to hit people of their mounts. It seems that the user needs to have high tactics to have a succesfull hit (in other words: a hit that kicks someone from his mount) with a bola. When someone is hit with a bola, he's unable to mount for 5 seconds (or 10?). The bola can only be used against PC's in Fel, where throwing it marks you as agressor.
Tamers believe that it can be used to kick the 'new' monster - the savage people - of their ridgebacks, so they can tame and mount it instead.

Currently, bola balls are going for 10K on Europa. But that price is likely to drop.

W

Well =P

Another thing about them is that they multi target. I've seen 4 potions thrown at ounce. And that provoking thing. I have never had trouble with my mare agasinst these guys. And I don't think that the damage is reduced when they multi target.

If it wasn't for OSI I'd see the world in color.

T

TaranRahl

maybe people just said that to scare off tamers so they could actually have a chance of getting whatever new item came out?

G

Maybe Taran, that scenario does make the most sense.

Though on pac I noticed it didn't work /php-bin/shared/images/icons/cool.gif

<center>
</center>

W

WolfZbane

There have been reports from other tamers that told that their pet attacked them or got guardwacked. Now if you please READ MY POST you'll have all the info! Sheesh...

W

WindKeeper4

Night and day you labor slowly,
Root and Ash and Pearl,
Crafting with your ingots dearly,
The bombs we know so well,
Across the chasms of the wild,
You work your plodding way,
Red of skin and dark of guile,
You mark the passing of the day.

You come to towns and cities,
With others at your side,
And hunt and throw your bottles,
Outside and inside,
The dawn of morn you creep,
The start of dusk you crawl,
All falls under your thrall.

Your power is great and varied,
Your creations stir much fear,
As beloved pets and creatures,
Are hurt when you are near.
Now to each hour and minute,
Warriors, Mages, Rangers,
All hunt for your treasure,
And you my darling bomber,
Are now a fabbled legend.

Your life is ended,
breath cut short,
For now you,
are
dead.

*returns to meditation*

G

Wolf, probably not a good idea for the pot to call the kettle black, eh?

You might want to read one of *my* posts, the one directly under the very first one, where I posted the following:

<blockquote><hr>

I'll go on record as saying that I don't believe the bomber provokes. I've hunted them with mares, kirin, dragons, and frenzied ostards and none of my pets ever attacked my characters

<hr></blockquote>

I was answering a person who thought that the rumor was started to keep tamers from hogging the spawns. I said that it made the most sense. I also hinted that the tamers on Pac didn't believe it, and are hogging whenever they can.

Got it?

<center>
</center>

G

Yeeps!

Gonna have to work to top that one Wind!

<center>
</center>

W

WolfZbane

I got it, sorry. Taming bulls, harts, toads, wolves, polars, grizzlies etc. give me a headache and make me a bit crumpy...

O

OP3L

I know of a tactic that might have been posted in this section already, I apologize in advance if it has already been posted (too long to read the entire post =P) I have used this method to kill bombers without taking a single hit of damage. Since the bombers does not throw bombs at you unless you hit them.
When you see a bomber in town, in the wilderness around town. Have it attack you, it is important you do not attack it cause it will throw a bomb at you if you do attack it. Then once you have it attacking you, run off the screen to cast explosion. Run back and hit it with the explosion then run off before the explosion actually damages the bomber and this should prevent it from throwing a bomb at you. Given this tactic requires a good connection but it works really good.
I killed bombers the whole day yesterday and didn't take much damage from orc bombers. And also i have found out the bombers are sort of the "anti-ganking" orc of the bunch. It seems while my dexxer is in cove attacking the bombers, if a group of dexxers start bunching up and hitting it, it will throw a bomb on EVERY person that hits it.. so if you get 5 guys ganking a bomber.. chances are they will all die real quick because for every hit you deal to the bomber, it will throw a bomb not only at you but at ALL of the peopel attacking it. I hope this helps you people hunt for them "bola balls" =)

-OP3L

W

WolfZbane

Well, actually we haven't heard that tactic yet. If it works: thanks! I think a lot of mages will appreciate such knowledge. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

D

dragoonhighelf

I for one have seen a bomber make my tame go wild so I believe they do I was goin to del to stable my dragons and one of them got away and attacked a bomber and went wild and attacked me so I sicked my other dragon on it hid and then killed it... too bad

I

imported_Scuzzlebutt

I must say Id rather take on a balron then 2 orc bombers and an orc scout at the same time. Theres just no escaping those pesky arrows and whoa nelly do they hurt. At leat with the bally you can keep your distance and resist the magic.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Jean-Luc on 06/23/01 07:39 PM.</FONT></P>

G

If your dragon went wild, more than likely it was because you forgot to feed it, or failed too many commands. The bombers do not provoke or make tames go wild.

<center>
</center>

M

Marvin the Mole

crimson hominid
orange yellow balls of fire
monochrome display

G

My drake was taking 5 orc bombers at once, only needed a little healing.

<font color=006400>Thaqui, Grandmaster Tamer of Catskills</font color=006400>
<font color=00008B>Dreafor, Lvl 4 Treasure Hunter and recovering alcoholic</font color=00008B> /php-bin/shared/images/icons/pint.gif

R

Rumbling mirror

HEY, he threw something at me!
OUCH, it really hurt badly
OOOOoo I am dead now.

OK yours was better.

<center>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/spiny.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/read.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/sick.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/angryfire.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/spook.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/king.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/loopy.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/argue.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/spam.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/newbie.gif</center><center>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/popcorn.gif</center><center>Lurking Can Be Fun!</center>

M

Mring

knock the savage people off their ridgebacks?? where do we find these savage people???

R

Red or Dead

The Savage ppl are coming! Maybe this week!

*I want body paint sooooo bad*

W

WindKeeper4

what's a hominid? after a five hour taming spree i'm a bit to lazy to get my dictionary out.

B

Blakhart

I have a big question for you orc killing tamers out there, I have gone after bombers with 4 different types of characters so far. I have killed about the same amount of bombers with each, but so far, I have yet to get a bola ball with either of my tamers. The bard/tamer, or the mage tamer. I have gotten about 20 or 22 in the space of two hours with my battlejack, and about 6 in about 20 minutes with my bard/mage. Any other tamers having a problem with getting the balls with their tamers? I have no problem with orc helms and my tamer. I got 4 this afternoon in the space of my first 20 minutes on with my tamer, but then going and focusing on the bombers, I got no joy. Sometimes the spawn is insane in Del, and you can go after two or three at a time without worrying about losing out to a kill stealing twink with three white wyrms (Sorry, had to get in a jab at a Glorious Lord Adept stoic with three wyrms that stole my kill and then proceeded to die. The best part was looting him and two of his wyrms after everything swamped them. Orc mask, two bows and a bola ball for my trouble. Ah twinks!!). So I do not think that I am not killing enough of the bombers to not get a ball. I know that if I kill two, I should have a chance to have a ball on one. My battlejack would kill a bomber, get a ball. Wash, rinse, repeat. Same thing over and over till on the eighth or ninth one he did not get one, but the next one had one.

Someone please tell me that I am not alone in this predicament... Thanks in advance.

E

Elyssar

Bola balls seem to spawn about 1/2 the time, I get them quite frequently...and I don't even hunt orcs!

W

WolfZbane

No, I just go taming in the Bull Pinn, but I find those bastards there all the time, killing the spawn... So I kill them. Out of 3 bombers that spawned, I got 2 bolas. After that I left, as my unicorn won't have done well if 2 bombers had spawned, so I had to be carefull.

M

Marvin the Mole

<blockquote><hr>

what's a hominid? after a five hour taming spree i'm a bit to lazy to get my dictionary out.

<hr></blockquote>
Hulled and dried kernels of corn, prepared as food by boiling.
Oops, that's hominy...my bad.

Besides, if ignorance is bliss I'd hate to tick you off :) j/k

T

The_Evil_Milkman

I hate orc bombers! They killed the scorpion i was working on when they and a couple orc scouts spawned all at the same time. :(