• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creature Feature #30: here kitty, kitty...hellcats!

E

Elyssar

They sound almost...innocent. A hellcat. C'mon, how bad can a cat be? Well, one think is for sure...they consider you to be a giant scratching post before you befriend them!

Hellcats come in 2 sizes, the small version based on the cat animation, and a large one, based on various colors of the panther/cougar graphic. Both cats have the feline cat instinct.

The small cat takes a base of 71.1 skill to attempt to tame. They can be found in fire dungeon, blood dungeon, Hythloth, and in the northern deserts of t2a. When killed, they drop 10 spined hides.

The large hellcats have 2 "types"...the normal dark red version and 3 neon "leader" varieties. There are no differences between the neon hellcats and the normal hellcats.

The large hellcats also drop 10 spined hides when killed along with 100-200 gold. These felines can make an excellent pack, perhaps better than frenzied ostards since these kitties have firebreath and more strength than your average frenzied.

G

Nice...but very short this time

Btw...what was feature #29?

And why isn't the sticky updated?

E

Elyssar

...because I have a life, a family, a job, and a guild and can't devote 100% of my time to this...

G

I just asked what happened to #29 and about the sticky...sooooorry.

W

WolfZbane

Hellcats kick ass! They're very strong, can be trained to be faster than frenzieds and have that firebreath Ely mentioned.
My pack of 4 could kill dread spiders and elder gazers without a problem and if I had more luck (damn chest spawns...), I could have killed an ogre lord too.

They're strong! Really, really, really, very STRONG! Absolutely a must for a tamer that likes a challenge.

P

PissAnt

Elyssar, would you edit yer post to include the taming needed for larger cats? I go look at the outdated (is it) tamer section on stratics here.

kthx bye

PissAnt

E

Elyssar

any missing into can be added by folks to this thread...that is the whole point for the CF...not for me to spoonfeed everything to everyone. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

G

Would it be possible to have the sticky made up to day?, adding 24 (link above), 29 and 30?

T

Tamerguy

Great Feature Ely!! Hellcats are my personal favorite in the pack animal category. I've only got a bright pink hellcat leader so far but i really want a bright red one. Also i have found that they are very easy to train. They start in the 50% area in their fighting skills and so i usually just buy a panther from the animal trainers. (The panthers bought from their have slightly higher skills cuz you don't have to physically tame them) Anyway, you can just set the hellcat and panther on each other and watch the skills fly. Or if you have two just fight them together. =)

---
Sometimes people tell me I just shouldn't say anything...

R

Ravens0ng

These guys are simply amazing in a pack. During the juka invasion I took 10 of them thru trinsic to much on Jukas. They were killing Lords in seconds.

A well trained pack of these is nearly an insta kill on E gazers.

If your putting together a pack of these, take the time to get yourself all 185 str. They have a very narrow spawn range , meaning that the highest STRs spawn very frequently. Best place to do this is in blood dungeon, by the succubus.

Folks are always raving about how great Frenzieds are, that they attack so fast, well Hellkittys spawn with just about the same dex, with higher initial resist!

G

Damn, so there WAS one of the arachnid spawn...I could have used that a week ago. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

Would some moderator please take the 2 minutes time it takes to add the 3 creature features to the sticky....please.

R

Rekson

Can someone make my life easier and tell me the pros and cons of having a hellcat pack and frenzied ostard pack. I don't know which to choose = )

S

Socko

Hellcats are stronger, i saw what they did against a Rotting corpse, in about a minute it was dead, my archer got only 10 arrows in before it died :/.

E

Elyssar

Leave it to Doriun to be realistic and realize that mods are humans, too! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/shocked.gif

Back to hellcats...the main thing against a pack of them is that it can be hard to seperate their health bars. and they kill things very fast. My boyfriend complained they killed rotting corpses too quickly... /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

R

Ravens0ng

I can only assume that the majority prefers Frenzied because they are tamable at a lower level. For a GM tamer there is only one advantage to frenzieds and that would be that you can mount one thats about to die and thus save him. Other than that Hellcats have considerably more STR and HP, and breathe fire. Frenzieds also spawn with a bit higher wrestling and tactics, though lower resist than kitties do.

I've wondered how a pack on small hellcats would do in PvP, since they are SOOO hard to target. Would be pretty funny I think.

R

RedPhoenix

I have killed a Ogre Lord with a pack of hell cats (With LOTS of vetting), the only diffrence between a Large Hell Cat and a Frenzied Ostard is the Frenzied have higher min damage then a hellcat, but hell kitties got fire breath /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

C

Croc Hunter

these things are annoying as hell when im hunting liches in the fire dungeon... they do a lot of damage and move quickly...

F

flatscan

So how about between hellcats and hellhounds for packs? pro's or con's? Once i get a few more stable slots, i'll probably look into starting up a pack of something.

and not just directed at you Ely :p hehe

M

Morgan of Baja

Hellcats are better in my opionion for two reasons..the leaders don't require two control slots. There str is higher as well and they are much much cuter!!

Morgan

E

Elyssar

I have a pack of each...4 HH and 4 hellcats. The HH have not been trained as much as my PHCs have but it *seems* to me after a few hunting trips the cats do a bit more damage, though the hounds are pretty fearsome too. They can both shred things nicely.

G

are they hard to train, i mean they look very cool, very very cool

M

Morgan of Baja

They aren't hard to train...spar them up against each other till they hit up in teh 90's or if you got the patience melee all the way to gm..there resist starts higher than frenzied I think.

Morgan

F

flatscan

makes me wish i kept my first tamed one, but back when stable spaces was at 5, i didn't have the option. *sigh* looks like i might start looking for a new pack soon. i'm in 3D only. is there a way to tell leaders form normal ones? higher spawning stats to start maybe?

M

Mordanna

<blockquote><hr>

I go look at the outdated (is it) tamer section on stratics here.

<hr></blockquote>
<font color=green>you can report any outdated material in the tamer resources here on stratics to me, i'm the person who is in charge of it.

and i can assure you it is up to date.

G

It lacks "what to tame" for 100 to 120

lacks veterinary data for 100 to 120

The taming templates are great, they could use a "powerscoll" version template as well.

Tips and Tricks could use an explaination on using the "&lt;name&gt; come" command, which can make your pet teleport to you (very handy for when it gets stuck), I can't get the pet to do the same with simply the "&lt;name&gt; follow me" command. (no, this is not really explained in the commands section and its a "trick of the trade" IMO)

Under stabling information, it should say that you cannot claim pets with spaces in their names, you have to use "claim list" to claim it (unless thats changed recently). Also, it might be an idea to note under "your pet seems busy" that it can be in general fight mode (to not confuse people as to how their dragon could be fighting in town) and that a simple "&lt;name&gt; stop" will make you able to stable it.

It might be an idea to mention that firesteeds can have above 100 in resist under "training your pet", but that it cannot be trained back to the level it had if it looses any.

Thats what I could find by browsing over it.

Mind you, this is NOT critizism of anyones work at all, I think its a wonderful and wellwritten tamers section, I am simply pointing out some things that could maybe improve or is missing from the section.

S

skipl

I love them!
I got my 5 trained BUT i had a little problem on blood ele.
I kill a blood, the next spawn 1screen away, and target one of my kitty, i didnt noticed it till it die. Another died becose i want able to get his bar.
Here are the both major cons in pratice.
Just with this trip as example, they killed theses bloody blood maybe faster than than 2 drags.
Another sad news for me, i learnt before GM skill drop A LOT ( resist drop in a die from 78 to 73 :'-( )
I got nothing else to say except: TRY!
5fresh are already insane and that give a good idea. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

P.S.: I dunno if the colors are wrong in the picture but i saw a orange cat.

LunaticTamuse of Europa

G

"I can only assume that the majority prefers Frenzied because..."

I prefer frenzieds just as a matter of personal taste. I like the sound of them &amp; the way they move. A lot of my taming decisions are probably impractical from a purely scientific viewpoint. The smallcat pack vs players does sound like fun, tho.

R

Ravens0ng

To hell with practicality! If you like frenzieds, then by all means use them. I like Hellcats for the exact same reason. I love the model, I love the coloring, I love the roar they give when they breathe fire. What I don't get is how many people say "frenzieds are the best pack animal" when it isn't nessessarily so.

M

Morgan of Baja

Exactly to each his own taste!!! if I need to collect horned/barbed hides or in need of a little cash to buy something I am going to be using my WW and Mare....if I want a little fun and a challange just for the adventure then pack is the way to go. I am thinking of trying a small hell cat pack(the ity bity ones). I know they can only be trained to 125/125/125 but I am surious to see what they can take on and think it will be hillarious to see these little tiny things chasing down big game!!!

Morgan

M

Mordash

Well I got 4 of them GM'd in Wrestle, Tacs and Anat (all are 80's resist) and they rock! I can kill an Ogre Lord in 15-20 secs, tuffest I tried is a White Wyrm, took some healing there