• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creature Feature #29: The Arachnid Spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elyssar

A spawn that is not for the arachnaphobic, you can find this spawn of spiders and other poisonous creatures around the western swamp in Felucca's terathan keep, at various locations of lost land overland spawns, and at Humility or Valor in Ilshenar if the spawn is turned "on" there.

Level One: Giant Spiders and Scorpions

Giant scorpions have an average 95 hitpoints and 85 stamina. These guys are capable of greater poisoning and can lead to real trouble if they block you in with their other compatriots. Giant spiders have an average 87 hit points and 82 stamina and are capable of lesser poison. While they may not seem like much threat, don't underestimate large numbers of these creatures...especially if you're in Felucca and they manage to box you in and poison you!

Level Two: Terathan Warriors and Drones

Warriors average 187 hit points and 119 stamina. Not a real threat, but they can melee hard if you let them press close. Drones can be killed with one energy bolt (or less!) and are more of an annoyance than anything to worry about.

Level Three: Dread Spiders and Terathan Matriarchs

This level is where the bodies start to hit the dirt...and I don't mean the monsters! Terathan matriarchs average 362 HP and 104 stamina, with a mana pool over aroun 418! These ladies are very capable spell casters and will do their best to make sure you don't hang around much longer. And if they don't do the trick, their friends the dread spiders will do their best, too. Not only do dread spiders have handy magery, they also carry lethal poison which can send you twitching and spasming to an early dirt nap. This level is where cure potions start to be REALLY handy, especially greater cure.

Level Four: Poison elementals and terathan avengers

Still alive? Good. Still got greater cure potions? Good...because with this level you may REALLY need them, along with greater heal and total refresh. If you're using a tamer at this spawn, this level is where you need the refresh to get UNDER your pet. Because once the poison elementals and terathan avengers start to surround a pet, without veterinary supplemented by greater heals or cures the pet could eb a goner. (I have lost a few pets to 6-8 poison elementals surrounding us at a time...) Both terathan avengers and poison eles are very capable at casting deadly high level spells and both bear lethal poison. Keep close to your friends and any pets you may have here and you can make it. At this level, provokers are very useful if they have the skill to turn these creatures on each other, and peacemaking can be a true lifesaver.

Level Five: Mephitis

Mephitis is just not a big black spider. She's a big, FAST, black spider with an attitude and killer tactics. Some may complain she dies fast...and of course she will when 100 people are ebolting her from a safe place. But for those who have fought prolonged battles with her, they know that she can be a tough kill. Mephitis uses a poison that can't be lethal, because it seems to kill faster than lethal. (She bit me once and I went from 100 to 25 to 0 in less than a second of time.) Her special skill is her ability to snag whoever attacks her in a web and drag them to her. If you're caught in her web, 9 times out of 10 you're guaranteed a death robe. She kills in 1-2 hits and kills without prejudice.

She can be taken toe to toe with a dragon, but I don't recommend it. I did this on pacific and it was quite a battle between her and my well-trained dragon. I'm still not quite sure by what miracle we managed to defea her toe to toe, but it was done. In most cases, the tactic I use to attack mephitis is to cast explosion then run off the screen away from her. I have only been caught in a web a few times doing this...and in all cases it was because I was still on the screen with her.

Now time for other comments, and don't forget the cure pots!

W

WolfZbane

Completely OT and maybe it's me... but... *looks closely at the terra avenger* did they just glue a male body on top of a complete spider? I can see the spiders fangs!

C

Casima

I was going to comment on that avenger, does it look like that in LBR? ewwwwwwww

I use the old 2d client and the problem with Mephisto is that he is small and hides under everyones fire fields! it is really hard to target /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

S

Suby Indraha

If your a warrior, better bring a keg of greater cure, Same with anyone don't bring cure pots, bring a KEG of greater cure,

You will be poiisoned so many times you will be redlined within seconds without that keg.

I don't see many or any reds at all at this spawn for some odd reason :p. But they sure love deceit tho.

E

Elyssar

Mephitis is a little brown spider to the UOR client...and I agree, really hard to see unless you're right next to her when she spawns. Here's some other UOR art standins for those who love rehued things!

Rikktor=normal red dragon (that's a fun surprise!)
Semidar=brown harpy
Barracoon=same art
Lord Oaks=a shadow-wyrm colored man who flies
Neira=human avatar in a grey robe on an iron-grey hued horse
and of course mephitis the brown spider

G

I didn't make it past the poison elementals. Getting boxed in between your wyrm, 2 PEs, 3 matriarchs, and a hill then having one PE target you is always good for a free ride to town /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif One of the most fun spawns I have been to, tough - very exciting!

Lord Kishkuman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been snaged by her web about 6 times and have yet to die by her fangs. It's hitting that darn poison trap after I get away from her with only 4HP left that seems to get me.

I

imported_Aboo

No doubt, I think there are three of those stupid things right in that alter area. Not nice at all. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif
I lost a dragon at that spawn. Not to the spawn though. I was killing a poison elemental up from the alter when Mephisto spawned, dragged her health bar (by that time she was half dead) and sicked Chomp on her... Well, suddenly, I turned grey... so I bolted and invised with two people chasing me... waited to turn blue and went back... but sure enough, Chomp was dead. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif Not exactly sure how it happened, but I think I sic'ed chomp on a player, cause I got a murder count out of the deal :L(

G

*feels very scared*

What do you do if you are arachnaphobic though?

S

Suby Indraha

Send a mage there and cast 2 earthquake. Decent chance for scroll.

G

Was there tonight... lived to tell the tale this time, too. I lost my dragon to the spawn (LOTS of avengers) and ran around like a madwoman until the champ spawned. I mana-dumped on Mephistis and was rewarded with a +10 Meditation power scroll! Alas, it was stolen from me within in seconds, and that was a bitter pill.

Champion spawns, aside for the thrill of living through them once, are rapidly starting to become very frustrating for me. *sighs* Any tips?

M

Molicious

yup as soon as you get a scroll dump it into a trapped box or pouch, AND RUN TO TRAM!!!!!!!!! I mean is it really that important to stand still JUST to look at a white piece of paper.

S

Suby Indraha

Use black colored robes(covers) and put scroll in pouch. It takes a thief a few secs to snoop your pack then take the item.

Lord Kishkuman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ya I just put the scroll in my reg pouch and cover the pouch withmy loot bag. I never take the black moon gate I either a: get to where I can recall to a less used moongate or B: get to where I can use a tram moon stone. Tip is don't stop running till you are out of fel.

M

maxzimus

Will the little freaky thing be able to see when they are snooping into your pack if you put the power scroll under say a piece of cloth??

G

*grins* Run like hell? I can do that!! *has lots of practice running like a frightened schoolgirl to hide behind her pets when a monster looks at her funny*

M

Magus_VDS

hehe someone got lazy on the 3d client so I guess they DID just put a human torso on a spider /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif I see it's fangs too.. unless thats supposed to be something... else....

I

imported_Repo

If she pulls you in just run the oppsite way and drink refresh, cure and heal like crazy - ive only died once to her sucking me in cause I didn't know she did it (never went to ish to see it)

just put your scroll in a locked chest with all your other stuff (along with the skull you looted) and if your in the dungon spawn, precast tele and use the gate (make sure you go in after someone else so any PKs will attack them first)

T2A, depending on where the spawn was either follow the gold looting crowd to town or take the most out-of-the-way route to teh nearest bank

corse if its only a +10 scroll its worth the risk of going via the gate (even some 15's and 20's aren't worth the bother)

Darkholme

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol, what did I tell you over ICQ about that Arcana?! The Champion dies, you see a white scroll appear in your pack, run like a bat out of hell and don't stop until you get back to Trammel! Of course as a Tamer, you have a huge, neon flashing target on your back whenever you are at a champion spawn, or in Fel in general. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Since I hate poisoning creatures, I hate this champion spawn... The two times I've worked this spawn I've died multiple times. After the second time I too decided that I would carry a keg of GC on me if I ever worked it again. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

D

DeaDLyWuLF777

This spawn is a newb FEST on GL, all week the rest of the Felucca dungeons were dead, maybe 3 people in dest, and 9 people in deceit.

But u go to terra and u got 70 Trammies sitting on the ledge not even doing anything but lagging the place and *Chatting*.

The first champ spawn i went too was AWESOME and i had just come back from uo after 6 months away. But now i learn that fighting the spawn doesnt matter..... (guess thats why terra is so popular cause weak newbies can sit on the ledge and take a shot at the champ)So...............

This spawn is by far the worst there is and they really need to make it tougher, more magic casting things would turn this dungeon into a bloodshed =)

or maybe just i will after i gm stealth =P

T

Tung

the order in which items stack is often seen differently to someone who snoops u. You may put an item in a pouch and cover the pouch with a black robe, then someone may snoop u and the pouch will show up on top of the robe, the order the items stack on your client and other peoples is not always the same.

G

If the theif is using and has the itemID of all the powerscrolls, it doesn't help to cover it.

G

<font color=000080>I can't see where this discussion has anything to do with a champ spawn, other than to pad post counts.

*clink*

Status
Not open for further replies.