• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creature Feature #26: Boglings, Bog Things, and Plague beasts--oh my!

E

Elyssar

This Creature Feature highlights a trio (or quartet if you count the plague spawn) of icky, yucky, unsanitary monsters.

The first to be introduced was the bog things. These are relatively "smart" monsters because they spawn boglings to aid them, and when their health becomes low they will absorb the boglings to heal themselves. This can be a nasty advantage, especially if anything besides the bog things and its boglings are attacking!

Bog things have gold and seeds as loot. The seed colors are: plain, yellow, blue, and red. When used with a special plant bowl, the seeds can grow into plants. (For more on plants please visit the Gardener Forum.)

Plague beasts are similar to bog things but more treacherous. A lavendar blob of oozing color, a plague beast can shoot poison at a target. They don't use magery, but instead they can be "trained" very quickly to become tougher and tougher...so tough in fact that they can eat lich lords and dragons for breakfast, and still have room for brunch!

Bog things and plague beasts can currently be found in various locations of Britannia and the Lost Lands, but once the Scenario is over their spawning locations may change.

Now other comments on these monsters can be added. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

Remember when plague beasts are 'powered up' by devouring their targets (best done with provoke at the moment, though I assume they devour the corpses of anything dead near them as well - I havent personally taken any on since I havent been in the game much recently) then the loot they carry will also increase.

Ive heard reports of Plague beasts carrying multiple virtue weapons when they are powerful enough. At the moment, it seems the best method in dealing with them is the 'blade spirit from a safe distance' method when they are very powerful, though im sure different tactics have been discerned for them now.

F

fiatluks

Plague Beasts will prett much eat anything you throw at it. What I usually do is use the summon creature spell, and say "all kill". After about 10-15 minutes of that I blade the beast to death. They usually have 1-4 virtue weapons, 4000-6000gp and about 5-8 treasure chests on them.
Also what i like to do is Provoke 2 rotting corpses onto on beast. When the beasts eats the 2 rottens, It has hit points for days!
I have had a Plague beast eat Jukas, Liches. Lich Lords, Eldergazers, cyclops's and Titans. It will eat all these will ease.
My goal(which I discovered last night will NOT work) is to have a Plague beast eat an Ancient Wyrm. I have tried every route I can find in Ilshenar to get to the Compassion AW, but they all seem to be blocked one way or another. It was fun none the less.
Any Thing you throw at the Plague Beast it will eat. I am sure if I could get it to an AW it woiuld eat it too no problem.
I have had one eat just 5 rotting corpses, and it took 20 minutes of non-stop blades to kill it. They can get VERY strong.

D

Drgnfiend

A couple of things of note for these creatures:

Bog Things - are not provokable themselves and can't have things provoked on them "your target doesn't seem interested in attacking that". Their attack plays hell with your stamina, if you stand toe to toe with them you'll find yourself with little life and little stamina. As has been stated previously, BS and other spells are the way to go with these.

Boglings - are provokable against other bogglings and other creatures. They typically carry one seed and a minor amount of gold. For most players a bogling on it's own is no problem, it's when their mommy is around that you need to worry. If you succeed in killing the Bog Thing and all of the Boglings haven't been absorbed then mop them up and get the additional seeds and gold.

Plague Beast - Haven't had much experience with them, but my few I didn't like. (watch out for the posion) As has been stated in previous posts when they've just spawned and haven't had a chance to kill other creatures/players and absorb them the loot on them isn't that great. Summon creatures, provoke other creatures to attack them, and then when you think it's enough cast BS after BS after BS and then take the loot.

Plague Spawn - minor little buggers that can be handled very easily as long as the Beast isn't around.

The best place to find the Plague Beasts is in any of the various swamps. The same goes for Bog Things, but you'll find quite a few of both roaming around the woods and such.

W

WolfZbane

Plague Beasts are easilly found, as sewer rats and giant rats love to keep them company.

They spawn around my house, so I need an exterminator!

G

I like to lure the plauge beasts to the compassion desert (swamp very near it, and my house is about 5 steps from the desert) and let it eat hoards of scorpions. The last one I killed had 7k gold, 3 chests, and no virtue weapons.. but I provoked a ton of scorpions and harpies onto it.

I think my guild will hold a small event with plauge beasts and bog things... They're really nifty /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

G

Well one plague beast may be annoying.. when two more appear as you try to protect your home it becomes something different than annoying.. first word that i think of is.. dangerous

A note of interest:
When plague spawn is provoked on plague beasts it works as a short term peace on both.. they get.. confused by the experience

E

ertai

plauge beasts are really fun to play with. Since i dont have a bard and i dont beleive (sp?) in wasting all of my regs to summon stuff, i usually go on a massive bear (or anything with some decent amount of health) taming spree untill i have like 40 or so animals. Then i send them in and watch them die lol.

from doing this i ususally get 3-4 virture weps and about 5 chests. This is what happened 3 out of the 5 times i fought it.

on a lighter note those green balls can do about 25 damage to a person in no armor (not sure if wearing armor maters or not, has anyone checked on this?)

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail WolfZbane!,

I used to hold the the title of "Subjugator of the Vermin Horde". I can honestly say that looking at ANYTHING rat-ish... Okay, I'll admit it, I go berserk. It's non-stop Chain-Lightning/Meteor Storms. Oh, they also taste crispy in milk!?!?!?

ANYWAY, I'd gladly help with the extermination of the vermin, then again, I'm impotent when it comes to going to another shard. Okay, a little stubborn. Okay, scratch that, A LOT of stubborn! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

Ah well, be careful for those rat buggers!!! *mumble* I still say they taste like chicken...

Your Humble Servant,

Xel The Wanderer

D

DeadCal

Yes, I tried taking a plaguie to the ancient wyrm but I couldn't get there either. Shame! I heard they can take down succubi no problem but I've not had an abyss spawn around to try it. It would be interesting to see if they could eat a hero spawn champion, but then you can't provoke those guys. Ah well! I have had them eat dragons so I guess that's good enough!

Z

Zardo Zap

It may be obvious, but they don't seem to "eat" elementals - no body flesh for them to devour - although they don't have any problems killing them.

As a side note after they have killed about 10 dragons it is just possible to bring them down with a freshly tamed dragon with high vetinary and magical curing - but it takes ages and uses a lot of bandies (roughly 100).

ZZ

S

seas

a single provoked valorite elemental from not so much of a distance works the best for me =)

G

<font color=000080>The bog things hit hard, but you can take them out with pets or magery, and the boglings are really just annoying.

Plague beasts are scary because you never really know (unless you see one spawn) what you're going to run up against.

My first encounter with one was humbling, to say the least. I got one isolated by the Humilty Shrine in Ilshenar (rather appropriate, all things considered), and sicced my battle-mare on it. It's a good thing Raven de Vale was online, since I needed her magery and her mare to kill it off, as well as the plague spawn. I've solo'ed balrons with a single white wyrm, and the plague beast was mopping up on my mare, despite my vetting and casting constantly. Of particular annoyance was the green-goo "spit" that the plague beast would fire off, which hit with anything from damage only to deadly poison.

It had almost 5k in gold on it, and a magic mace. I suspect the gold and weapon came from an errant warrior that came upon the beast on their way out of Ilshenar.

I haven't found any of these "healthy glands" that I've heard about, but then again, I don't go looking for those things unless I have a small army of other players with me.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<center>They spawn around my house, so I need an exterminator!

<hr></blockquote></center>

<font color=blue>Those dreaded Plague Beasts spawn near my tower too, WolfZbane! That would be an interesting concept for a guild - The Ultima Exterminators! Controlling Spawn in your part of Britannia

K

KnifingNinja

So after reading this I understand that thee things thake dragons and succumbi, yet I solo them with my 3x GM warrior? Can someone explain this plz?

G

<font color=blue>Are you saying you can even take on Plague Beasts with your 3 x GM warrior? Do you have invincibility potions or something??? I know I have a terribly laggy dial-up connection, but I think I do ok with my warriors, and Plague Beasts eat them for breakfast!

How do you go about killing one with a pure warrior?

I can fathom killing Boglings and Bogthings with a warrior, I'm just find it hard to comprehend killing a Plague Beast with a sword! Please, tell me your strategy!

G

Soloing with warriors is easy:

Blade Spirit, Blade Spirit, Blade Spirit, Remove Armour, Blade Spirit
wait
Blade Spirit
wai
Blade Spirit

continue depending on how.. well fed the beast is

loot

oh.. thats kinda not soloing as a warrior.. hmm..

Well all i know is that they seem to hit too often and too well for a melee artist but my archer wanna be has killed a couple of them with a bow (an archer is a warrior too i guess) It depends on luck though. The range of the spit varies from beast to beast, if their range is smaller than my bows its easy, if theirs is equal or greater i am running for my life (usually waiting for a bandage to kick in while a green fire ball like thingie is chasing me..)

K

KnifingNinja

I just stand and solo, tribal spear.... I don't know. They don't consume anything so that may be the reason. Loot kinda sucked, so that is why. Alright. Thx.

M

Mad Carrot

Ok, it seems that the Plague Beasts have changed
My buddy went looking for one to hord up on Virtue Weaps and I get a Im saying
"Dude, they dispell summoned animals and blades now"

well off to Ice Isle I go to tame polar bears to feed it

well after a few trips to Ice and back to my buddies, we feed it. Well after hitting it with Metor Swarms over and over to kill it
looted 2k off it and a dagger of dragon slaying
(gee I can see using that)

Well good luck with feeding these bad boys, guess they are now Bard bait

G

I think the changes are good.. the best change they could do.. the design being what it is.. is delete the darned things.

Slayer weapons once had a value associated with them, if pb's stay ingame it will be the part of the loot you ignore along with power weapons and fortification plates.

Sure getting slayer weapons wasnt the toughest thing in the world, even i had a small collection of them. But i mean.. 1-5 slayer weapons on a buffed plague beast and it costs you nothing to buf them.

Ok different choice instead of deleting them: make them unprovokable.

V

Vasago

I think they're somewhat disgusting both of them...sure hasn't improved the smell in the swamps!

It's a nice change with this kind of monster "spitting" out new monsters though, but I haven't done much hunting of these yet...though a bogling is something I can't pass without slaying /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I

imported_Aboo

Provoke doesn't really help. Just keeps them from killing you. When's the last time you saw something in the Trinsic swamps that could kill a Plague Beast? I provoked everything within 4 screens of one onto the one in the swamp north of Brittain near my home. Nothing could kill it. I finally just fled the scene feeling sorry for the poor warrior who might come upon it later.

G

Plague Beasts reek so bad
Their kisses are most bitter
I need to date more

T

T Res H Unt

Boggy Haiku if u were smart u wouldn't leave your ip address any wandering hacker could see it and say bye bye UO account

S

ShadowJack

are the plague beast lords spawning anymore? Also I provoked continuous monsters (I'd say around 100-150) onto one, and when I finally killed it with a ton of ebolt/explodes, it had some gold and a chest with a peice of defense arm in it. So I was wondering if they changed the loot increase as well

T

the_emu

AAAAARRRRRHHHH i hate bog things and plague beasts. 3 bog things and a plague beast was what killed my first ever ki-rin. I was in ilsh in the top left hand corner of the central part with the juka castle in it /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

I

imported_Hawkins

Yeah, my 3 x GM warrior killed a plague beast too.

GM Magery
GM Eval. Int.
GM Meditation

Yet, he's a warrior, bcoz he likes to wear heavy armour and use a sword. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

I don't get it...I kill Plague beasts easily with my dragon and they don't give much loot. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

G

The strenght of the plague beast depends on how well fed. A fresh plague is not much of a problem for a dragon. A plague that's eaten 50 or so critters will be quite the challenge on him. Difference in loot fresh plague about 650 gold, magic jewelry chance for healthy gland, 50 or so fed plague 2-3k loot 2+ slayers (up to 7 in my experiences) and chance for healthy gland.