• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creature Feature #25: The Warrior's New Friend, the Swamp Dragon.

• Thread starter Green of Chessy
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
G

Green of Chessy

They also seem to have a higher regen rate and when they reach high training are prolly very deadly (mines up pretty high right now)
AND they cant be vetted........Try it and you will see what i mean

E

Elyssar

A fresh swamp dragon seems to have a maximum of being able to take meelee from a dragon, but that is with extreme difficulty. When the dragon goes to fly mode and switches targets to the warrior, it becomes your usual TOUGH battle of warrior vs dragon, and even harder because it is flying trying to get away!

G

93.9 taming needed? hmm i tamed one with my first try on my gm tamer, i must have had really good luck.

I havnt tested much out yet maybe sometime today.

Z

Zirva

I tamed 3 earlier today. Since I don't have healing and there were Juka in the area, the first two died. In any case, the first took me about 4 tries at GM. The second was on the first try, and the last one I stopped counting at 10. I think this is about on par with 93.9

I'll try later today with my baby tamer, Grace. She's at 91.9, so we'll see what the message she gets.

G

Hey, add the fact that they dispel like I posted earlier /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Please

G

It seems they are not always friendly. My guess is that they act like a mix between centaurs and pixies : they have grey titles (neutral karma) and will attack when you have negative karma. This has not yet been confirmed tho.

P

puremagic

I can confirm that swamp dragons are not aggressive to negative karma players. One of my GM tamers on Great Lakes tamed several the other day and she is a Dark Lady. None of them attacked her. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Z

Zirva

OK... at 92.0 displayed, I got the "you have no chance" message with my baby tamer, so this looks to be a non agressive 93.9+ creature that takes away karma if you kill it, and anyone can control.

P

puremagic

I'm tempted to say the required skill is even higher than 93.9, or maybe I just have bad luck. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif I went out to tame one on Baja earlier tonight and my tamer there has 96.3 taming and I failed for almost 10 minutes straight. I've tamed a number of normal dragons with her before and none have taken that long, but again, it could just be bad luck. I'll keep working my tamer on Chessy who's around 91 right now and I'll check after every ph if someone else doesn't figure it out before then. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

E

ertai

<font color=blue>All i can say is that without LBR they look like dark green ozzys with a different name.

G

They are definitely 93.9 taming.

Finally logged into today to work taming - At the beginning of ph I saw one on barrier isle and tried to tame it - but I couldn't - 93.6 displayed. At the end of ph I tried again and I was able to tame it - 94.0 displayed. I didn't succeed - but I was able to try.

I

IceFalcon

I tamed one with my Dark Lord with no loss on my second try. They don't attack or anything. I failed and it got hostile but then dropped real quick so I tried again and got it. They are pretty cool :)

I

imported_jamison

They eat meat. And it seems they deal their melee damage even while rideing it. I tested it on a llamma. I wrestled it (nothing for wrestleing) and could barely scratch it. I hopped onto my swamp dragon and wrestled the same llama. we whooped it's little llama butt! And all the while on my warrior with no wrestleing. He also has no tameing and can command him easily. Definately a warriors best friend.

S

Shredmaster

You do realise that the ability to heal with healing skill is considered a bug at present, and will be changing over to vet?

That was posted on theuo.com boards by a red name.

There goes the warriors best friend, how many warriors have lore/vet?

W

WolfZbane

Sounds to me like they will have to change their template then.

V

Vasago

I love their graphics in the LBR 2d client /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif, and I want one for my warrior! I just hope they are
left "intact" (heal not vet, but that is just a dream, as it is officially a bug that will be fixed)

G

Basilisks have finally made it into uo.. oh.. dragon? ehmn.. ok.. someones got their mythology mixed up

They are also an endangered species, someone made the very bad mistake of introducing them the same week that they introduced dragon scales.. baaad choice, they didnt get long to live because of the great monster (Greed)

G

oh.. havent seen that comment i am afraid.. or perhaps i have.. in which case maybe i think so because someones written it and its mad eme realize its true.. in which case you made me see them as basilisk..

W

wolven

Has anyone seen a tame swamp dragon use magic yet? I have yet to be able to get my swamp dragon to use magic at all, nor have i seen it breathe fire. Originally I didn't think they did at all anyway, until I had one actually breathe a fireball at me that did between 5-10 damage and had one of them cast clumsy on me.

E

Elyssar

Scenario week 2:

chaos dragoon elite added--these guys wield magic broadswords, have 300ish gold, a gem, a dragon scale, ride dragons wearing barding, and they have MAGERY. They hurt pretty bad...but then again maybe that was because I had 3 attacking me at one time. (not a very good thing, let me assure you.) Their mounts stll have firebreath, seemed their firebreath did maybe 10 HP of damage, but again it was hard to tell with the constant assaults on me.

A GM smith has a 55% success chance on the dragon barding. You use 750 ingots of your color choice. You get deeds like the masonry tables sort of, but you target them on your swamp dragon mount.

Your swampy then turns to a robotic-looking monstrosity. They do the same weak melee, and at first glance I haven't seen any use for this beyond eye candy. (If anyone else out there is testing the barding please post findings here, as I won't have time.)

You can make a deed from all ingot types.

D

Drawde

Right now, when riding an armored dragon, ALL attacks from monsters (not players) do 9 damage. That includes mongbats, rabbits, ogre lords, balrons, ancient wyrms (that's three types of attacks: breath, claw, and spell), magic arrows, explosions, flamestrikes, clumsy spells, poison spells (9 damage each time it affects you) and pretty much anything else that hits you. It also seems to take forever to destroy the armor. Someone took on a balron and blood elemental at the same time, and won. The Dev team is looking into it, to make certain that it's working as it's meant to.

Ok, it's been put out this is slightly bugged. I bet all the looters are dissappointed that they put out that it's been fixxed on the main page. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

G

I am thinking that the damage-absorbtion feature is a little bugged at the moment... it seems... odd.

S

Slamer

if it aint bugged its a crap idea. a solo warrior can melle a balron without running of to heall..

E

Elyssar

mmm after hearing of this I took my warrior against a titan...the damage from melee averaged 8 points, however magery was nasty. Flamestrike took over 40 damage, and this with a character with 92 resist. Against a cyclopian warrior the melee was about 5 per hit.

Perhaps the resistance to damage varies with armor color...my swamp dragon is in gold.

G

Based on the postponment of the scenario, I would speculate that the barding isn't operating exactly as intended. Or it may be because of the guards attacking the Juka, heh.

W

WolfZbane

Dragoon Elites use their weapon. Someone got owned because of a Dragoon Elite with a sword with Ghoul's Touch charges (Ghoul's Touch = paralyse).

S

Sir_FrankMuddy

Us warriors are feeling it too. God I hate these things. It's bad enough with critters that have Just magic or just high melee, But this thing has massive armor, I can't hit him at all (Damn this whifitis!), He's FSing me for 40+ damage, And I'm maxing out at 20ish damage from melee hits. I want a damned stunning blow attack, or a GM tank mage with a zillion HP and whatnot. Urgh! Did I mention the ****s seem to regen?

W

WolfZbane

They seem to be a "mage and archer only" thing. Both warriors and tamers have a hard time with those elites...

G

Tell me about it. I got the swamp drag with barding for my warrior and took down an eldar gazer (aids only) no prob and had only slightly more problems with a blood ellemental (had to use Gheal&amp;cure pots). But I go nose to nose with a dragoon elite and barely scratch him while I'm down to 1/4 health. Plus unlike the regular dragoons the elites can dispell. So much for dragging them outside of town and BSing them for easy magic swords.

M

MaD^ProFF

and now u can put armour on them damm expensive though, shame they gonna make it need vet to heal, was quite refreshing to heal with norm healing

but are they any good at attacking anything?

MaD^ProFF

M

MaD^ProFF

oppps sprry missed second page in this thread /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

MaD^ProFF

I

imported_TamTam

On reflection maybe reverting to vet for the SD from heal is a balance. The warrior char is unlikely to spend points on vet so the SD will take damage and may die!

Good for tamers because warriors will need replacements.

G

<font color=blue>How much do these cuddly <font color=green>Swamp Dragons</font color=green> sell for?

N

Numtini

I'm seeing swamp dragons going for 5k-6k at the Chessie West Britain Bank. There seem to be a good supply of them.

R

RolandBanethor

I see the necessary taming skill to actually tame the swamp dragons, but what's needed to just ride one? I've got a 6x GM warrior (almost 7, working on GM resist), with 0.0 real skill in taming. Just curious if I'd be able to use a swamp dragon too, or if I'm stuck with horses still, hehe.

G

<font color=blue>Everyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding, Swamp Dragons are not fussy and are more than willing to let anyone mount them!

E

Elyssar

An extremely recent introduction to the game, the Swamp Dragon first appeared on cheaspeake shard, along with he new chaos dragoon and dragon scales. Swamp dragons spawn as the chaos dragoons mount, and in order to get the dragon the rider must be killed.

The dragon is non-aggressive and causes karma loss if killed. It takes an estimated 93.9 to tame. When killed, they give green dragon scales and die extremely fast to magery from players or melee.

After their dismal fights against players, it's interesting to note that swamp dragons ARE indeed special. They only do 1-2 HP of melee damage, but theyexcel at absorbing damage from monsters. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

The acid ele wasn't much trouble.

by far, the hardest monster for the swamp dragon was the lich lord, because of its eval int and my warrior didn't have a silver weapon at her disposal. but for a swamp dragon to be effective, it MUST have a competent healer at hand (these take healing skill, not veterinary) and that warrior MUST be dealing damage to the warrior as well.

This thread can be added to as the scenario changes things, or new features about this new rideable are added.

addendum: dragon armor gives you a message that your armor absorbs some of the damage from an attack. Dragoons give 150-200 gold, a gem, and 1 dragon scale that is the same color as their tunic. Even wearing dragon scale armor, dragoons can do considerable damage against a warrior, and their mounts will firebreathe and do a sort of stomp attack that gives the animation of you falling from your mount.

F

flatscan

lol, yeah it's true. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

I'm thinkin' cause they are healed with healing (for now anyway) I'm taking my archer out on a boat with it and a grizzly and trying the lore trick to gain anatomy. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif My Anatomy is pretty high so i wan't able to get a spot last PH, but hoping to come across one this time. Would be nice if it worked cause i don't know any ghosts. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif