• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creature Feature #23: My kingdom for an ostard!

E

Elyssar

One of the popular mounts to own, ostards have not always been a staple of the game's mount resources. For a long time after their release, these happy rides were spawn blocked as badly as the nightmares and white wyrms often were, and it was a treasure to find one of the ostards running wild.

There are 3 varieties of ostard (4 counting the etheral.) None of these creatures carry loot.

The forest ostard is a favorite among non-tamers, for their pretty colors that go nicely with armor. Forest ostards can be found in Ilshenar and the forested areas of the lost lands.

Desert ostards can be found in the desert regions of the lost land and ilshenar. They and the forest ostards are about as strong as a common horse.

Frenzied ostards are the monarchs of the ostard world, with their extremely high dex, melee, and their speed. Frenzied ostards are tameable at 77.1 and are found in most regions of the lost lands. I have not seen them in Ilshenar.

Etheral ostards are a 3 year veteran reward and can only be ridden by veteran characters. They cannot be dismounted or fed.

P

PacificDamien

frenzieds can be trained up to kill anything aboveland in t2a. I've trained mine up on drakes, and I've had him since november of 2000.

long ago they could not be taken into the "old lands" and we had to keep them stabled in t2a. this was also before the stable patch, when you could stable as many as you wanted (granted there was room on that stablehand), but each rancher was different. if you stabled on one guy, you wouldn't be able to claim them from another. much different back then... also couldn't gate or recall back and forth from t2a and the old lands, much like ilshenar today.

G

I remember the days when everyone used a bug to get their beloved ostards into britainia... and I remember the day when you could finally recall in and out of the lost lands.. ahh how I didn't like it then. I always wanted a blood red frenzie... never found one. :)

K

Kylie Nightangel

I have bad memories of ossys before they were legal to have in the old lands :c(

other then that, I love riding frenzieds, though Im sure Ryne doesnt appreciate it with no saddle

P

PacificDamien

to me, ostards are like dinosaur/bird/reptile hybrids. oh wait.. they say dinosaurs evolved into birds anyway. think of them as an oversized compy.

personally I think they're cute.... they ALSO remind me of those creatures that the goblins rode (and grabbed the hair of to steer them around with) in the movie, Labrynth.

D

Dame du Lac

Hehe funny, because actually my tamer kingdom was made from selling colored ostard. They were difficult to find at this time (expect in fel where nobody seams to tame them even now), so i used to go sell lot of them in different colors at brit bank tram at 1k, and i selled them so fast. After few weeks these ozis learned me a lot about my futur uo job: tamer. I baught my first big 4 with this money, a pure WW.
At gm taming i still fail to tame Frenzied sometime, which remind me the time where it was so hard to tame them, but gain a lot of taming from them.
I love the way they move so smoothly, and they are tuff if u train them well.

B

Bethoven

I sure remember my old charchole (sp) colored frenzied ostard. He was my first real pet as a tamer. I was crushed when he got smashed by a frost troll. A few of you might remember my somewhat long story about it last july. Just started my new tamer 3 days ago and cant wait till i have enough skill to tame another frenzied!! But for now, she will have to do with her llama /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

S

Socko

birds evolved out of lizards, i think their the missing link between lizards and Ostrichs.

W

WolfZbane

Frenzieds are kickass fighters! Absolutely the most challenging creatures to fight with. They have a dex that's incredible! Before you know what's going on, you're down to 10 HP and running for your life!

There was a time when thieves didn't recognize the difference between a normal and a frenzied ostard...
I don't need to say that a lot of thieves died back then... /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Frenzieds are extremely fast, it's almost impossible to outwalk them, unless you have a perfect connection or a mount.
They are without a doubt the pet for a low level tamer who still wants an excellent mount.

D

DeadCal

I think they look more like birds in 3D - more feathery and cute, like big vicious ostriches (there was some sort of prehistoric bird like this on Walking with Beasts, but can't remember the name).

F

FenixDuran

If your looking for some quick cash, take 1-2 frenzieds to Shame, and dominate the Earths, you can tame a few scorps while your there and use their poison too.

I have 3 frenzieds and me and a friend took them to daemons, we made some cash, and never lost an ostard, but its tough to keep em alive against a daemon, a few spells and their almost dead.

S

seas

"They and the forest ostards are about as strong as a common horse"

actually they are as strong as a grizzly and with their ~150 hp they can take quite some beating. even without any healing or training they can take down harpys, although it takes awhile.

a pic of all the forest ossy colours, all of them are in the darkest shade too.

V

Vasago

Mmmm....I loved my blood red frenzied, but the darn stable limits made me give up on him. I couldn't just dispose of him though, so he was given to a friend...unfortunatly he is no longer in the plains of the living, but a brave companion he was. Didn't stand down to any fight I ever put him in...

D

DeadCal

TerminalCal has a lovely red frenzied (Bloodrose) and another unnamed frenzied. I'm using them to train vet as they do more damage than grizzlies. It's going to take a long while yet to GM but the birds with both be really well trained when I'm done so PM me if you want to give one a home. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

V

Vasago

I'll keep that in mind...good luck on the vet training first though /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

G

I remember when my favourite frenzied ossie (dead now=() Silver killed a Wyvern and like 3 imps all at the same time...
And when I tamed one as a tribute to XSeRX and it killed a deamon fresh tamed
The XSeRX Tribute

Wonderful creatures..

D

duluvian

What about Savage Ridgebacks? I thought they would be grouped in here with the other Ostards type creatures. You need 83.1 taming to tame one and you also need to dismount the Savage using a Bola ball.

F

flatscan

No, ridgebacks look nothing like ostards...unless your in 2D, but that should be fixed now with LBR.

A

Alastair

OMG, since I got LBR I love ridgebacks sooo much, they look so funny, especially when your riding them! ^^

P

PacificDamien

ostard art!

well not really, this is actually a creature I created almost 8 years ago back in middle/high school. I was trying to create something that might have evolved from dragons, or evolved from birds INTO dragons, trying to think of what a link between a reptile and a bird really would be. this creature resulted. when I saw the ostards in UO, I thought someone stole my idea from school!! considering almost EVERY single year book I signed had either a dragon sketch or this bird/lizard sketch in it!

anyway, my take on ostards. by the way, these are sketches I did while in my computer graphics course, being bored out of my mind about lightwave. so they're not really done, and they're not really on good paper, just notebook lined.. but they look interesting still!

chibi ostard?

ack.. now they are beginning to resemble chocobos! nooooo!!!!

G

I remember about 4 years ago when I played a Final Fantasy game for the first time (I know, I am WAY behind the curve, especially since this was FFII or FFIII). I was like, choco-what?? Is this thing an ostrich or a goofy chicken on steriods? Why can't I have a horse?? lol. By the time I got to UO, I wasn't even phased by the ostard. Hehe.

I like the velociraptor analogy for the frenzieds that someone posted... *grin*

P

PacificDamien

man I love drawing during college classes... especially when the class is FOR drawing! but .. your'e not doing the assignment they want you to do... so.. um.. it's goofing off but it isnt'!

T

Trooper1

Seas, you forgot the dark, dark red osty! The one you have is the one I usually refer to as the "pink" one, but you did get em all(unless the one on the right doesn't count as the yellow osty, which in that case you forgot that one too).

Also, I'm not sure why peeps don't tame the frenzied ostards more, since they give good gains(as do the strong mongbats that spawn near them too), and they're not that much harder to tame than a hell hound(though if you're laggy, you may want to avoid them). Heck, I GM'd off one, outside of power hour too, for some strange reason...

G

I think I've got such a dar, dark red frenzied. I will post a pic later. It has more or less the same colour as daemon bone armour, I'd say.

S

seas

yeah the red isn't the darkest one, but i've only seen the darkest shaded red forest ossy spawn like twice. if i ever do bump into one again i'll be sure to grab a screenie of it.

nearly almost darkest shade..

T

Trooper1

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how darn cute they are, and the funny noise they make every once in a while when they're not mounted(well, not the frenzied ones).

R

Riyana

Do the blood red frenzied ostards still spawn? I have been searching for several days and have yet to find one :(

S

Suby Indraha

I tamed me a dark red forest ostard that goes nicely with that tribal spear!

R

Riyana

Is there a particular area that the red ones spawn that I've just been missing? I've run all over the Lost Lands dozens of times with no luck! Thanks!

W

WolfZbane

The color spawn is completely random. Maybe you should just camp a frenzied spot and kill each and everyone of them till a blood red spawns.

It's a hard method, but will work.

U

UOPlayer67

What is the min. taming/lore to control a frenzied ostard?

I know to tame it you need around 73 or so.

Thanks.

G

to tame you need 77.1 taming
so around 60+ is ok control if 2nd owner

G

woah we new a new creature feature!

How about the Evil Bunny!
those bunnies are eeeevvvvvviiiill!

G

you notice that too eh? Have you done drakes yet? If not, I suggest them.

O

o0o Pink o0o

chocobo? lol

i like them cuz they look kinda like a birdy velociraptor.. [spelling?]

i always wanted a raptor of my own.. even if they didnt exist.. i was gonna buy the anamatronic one from jurassic park someday... i still will!!!

P

Pharcyde

Cal, I dont think 3d graphics are all that good, i personally like 2d much better