• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creature Feature #19: Great galloping Gargoyles, Batman!

F

FenrisT2a

A quick first study of the destroyers;

They seem to have the mana-pool of a lichlord and the Lumberjackingskill of the dreaded Ax-man in Shame2

A mage do fairly well against them if he doesn't let them come within arms reach.

Maegwin GM Treasurehunter
Fenris GM Tamer
Urd Verdandi GM Mage
Rhawn GM blacksmith/warrior
Iron Armstrong GM Craftsman

*Known as well as Wolf_of_Atlantic*
/Taming the wild, the vile, the fluffy and the wilderness, and finding it for you if it's lost...

T

tha_slayer21

Further to the above, they have another not very nice attack which i've seen used 2 times (only fought them twice) which is upon dieing they will <font color=B23AEE>THROW</font color=B23AEE> their axe at you,.. so you adreneline junkies out there that like to fight to the red lines when your opponent is also red lining beware, the hit does about 20-30 damage.

However it does not effect the loot on corpse which still has the magic axe, and about 400 gold (from memory) plus gemms/diamonds etc and scrolls (as well as magic pick axe [apperently])

<font color=BF3EFF> Before you criticise others, first walk a mile in their shoes, that way when you criticise them you're a mile away and you have their shoes </font color=BF3EFF> /php-bin/shared/images/icons/guns.gif

M

Molicious

DOH!!
I thought they were the creatures that give power crystals

We do not reward intelligence, We punish ignorance

T

TrueRagoo

"and the Lumberjackingskill of the dreaded Ax-man in Shame2 "

axe-men in shame 2? do you mean Executioners in Wrong 2? or what?

T

tha_slayer21

Yeah.. I think thats what he meant..

cause no executioners spawn anywhere else that i've seen

<font color=BF3EFF> Before you criticise others, first walk a mile in their shoes, that way when you criticise them you're a mile away and you have their shoes </font color=BF3EFF> /php-bin/shared/images/icons/guns.gif

R

RedPhoenix

Well, they cant be affected by any barding skill. They throw a axe that does 30-40 damage EVERY time they are hit with a direct damage spell. They do 67-80 melee damage. Their loot consist of a battle axe of power or vanq 99% of the time. The reason they do so much melee damage, is because they actually USE thier vanq or power battle axe :)

T

tha_slayer21

LOL...

So there you go ladies and gents.... RedPheonix said it all /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

If you want to know more about gargoyles, you can go <a target="_blank" href=http://www.uo.com/archive/gargoyle/index.html>here</a>

<font color=006400>Thaqui, Grandmaster Tamer (15/4/01 4:56 NZT)</font color=006400>
<font color=red>Retired - Catskills</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://user.tninet.se/~prv247p/hatt/hatten.swf>Click here to reply to this post</a>

W

WolfZbane

The Destroyer is without a doubt the biggest badass among the gargoyles: he uses his vanq/power battleaxe with bleeding accuracy and is a strong mage. People who want to fight him will have to be:

- a mage without any lag and a great tactic
- a group of warriors without any lag
- an archer with loads of arrows, loads of bandies and lots of patience (and pref a safespot)
- a tamer
(maybe in the future? - a tinker)

Mage: precast explosion, attack, the minute you have hit him, run away to heal the damage of the throwaxe.
A group of warriors: run in, hit, run away, heal. And that with multiple warriors.
Archer: shoot, heal, shoot, heal and repeat.
Tamer: "[insert pet's name here -&gt; pref a mare or stronger] kill" and keep vetting the pet.

It wouldn't have been that much of a problem if this übergargoyle would live in a place where the spawn can be handled. But because of the presense of large groups of golems, the gargoyle city's a bad place for solo'ing with any char. If you want to survive the spawn and critters that guard this city, one needs to have a pretty strong group, pref multiple warriors, archers, mages, 1 or 2 bards, maybe a thief with decent healing and 1 (maybe 2) tamer(s) with a dragon and a mare. Oh, and maybe even a ghost scout.
In other words: a great fieldtrip for a guild!

Warriors, archers and mages can protect the dragon from any savages while in the area of the city, the dragon can proof to be a great backup during fights with golems and destroyers. The bard can keep areas with large amounts of provokable creatures bussy, while a thief can disarm/steal tribal spears, can perfectly work as a scout (stealth) and crack those damn generators without a large chance of being noticed, allthough a lockpicker might be better for that.

<center>
</center>

<center><font color=red>Don't forget kiddies: it's all about variety!</font color=red></center>

<center>Hi I am a Signature Virus Copy me into your signature to help me spread</center>

A

Andre the mage

i killed a lot of enforcers and destroyers solo last weekend with my mare
i think i spent 10-12 hours alone in the gargoyle city (i know i am sad/php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif)

well i was more looking for destroyers as they gave better axes /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

one time i had a destroyer and 3 golems on my mare and that was where my 94 vet and almost gm magery really proofed its value /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif
a solo destroyer is no match for a mare that gets healt by a non lagged master veterinarian (on the other hand: what monster is really - exept maybe balron ancient wyrm skel drag)
the enforcer is really easy compared to him and enslaved gargoyles are like the normal gargoyles
Best way to kill a destroyer is to lure him away from the rest of the pack and then let the mare / drag do the job (though mare is easyer for this - as you ride it/php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif)
ohh and my tamer has no provo so didn't knew that the destroyer was unprovokable till my friend died trying - thats where i got the larger pack on me (trying to get his stuff back)

Andre of Sittard, europa, mage
Sweet desire, Justice Squad, europa, not exactly a mage/php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

D

DuNoir

<font color=27408B>Even though it still annoys the hell out of me... if you want to fight the destroyers alone, you can always find one and peacemake constantly while you lead it somewhere because you can play that little instrument until your fingers bleed and they'll ignore it... blah.

<font color=27408B>Patience is a virtue! GM Cartography... after 1,011 maps.

A

Andre the mage

well i dont have music, peacemaking or provoke on my tamer /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Sweet desire, Justice Squad, europa, not exactly a mage/php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

E

Elyssar

The Exodus Overseer also does not respond to peacemaking. It can't be provoked. You can't tell your pets to kill it. Magic really can't damage it because it uses a force field. (I brought the force field down once but then we couldn't kill it before it put it back up.) I put a mare against it, and after about 15 or 20 minutes of the mare and overseer not really hurting each other I got tired of it and left. I asked another fellow what sort of loot they give, and he said about 250 gold. All in all, in my opinion I think the golem has met its match in terms of most annoying and pointless to kill scenario monster. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

W

WolfZbane

Yep, but they always give power crystals. And that makes them pretty usefull. Too bad they don't spawn in Britannia.

<center>For those who didn't know yet...</center>
<center>
</center>
<center><a target="_blank" href=http://user.tninet.se/~prv247p/hatt/hatten.swf>All your base are belong to hatt-baby!</a></center>

A

Andre the mage

strange

i killed about 8 with only my mare hitting it and it does it in less then 5 minutes
loot is :
250-300gp
1 power gem (always)
1 clockworks assembly (sometimes)
gears and a few gems i think

W

WolfZbane

According to Call, there is a special way to break the field. That should make things go a lot quicker.

<center>For those who didn't know yet...</center>
<center>
</center>
<center><a target="_blank" href=http://user.tninet.se/~prv247p/hatt/hatten.swf>All your base are belong to hatt-baby!</a></center>

A

Andre the mage

well i hate to get targetted by casting fs on it
my tamer has no resist and has to run away and hide then

S

Switch

to kill an overseer:
-order drag/mare to guard you.(not wws, too unaggressive)
-Get pet to attack overseer
-cast explosion/flamestrike on overseer
-if it targets you, invis, and be happy: you broke the shield. If you have a dragon attacking it, the overseer will be dead in under a minute. If it is a mare, it might take a bit longer.

<a target="_blank" href=http://secretgimp.clanpages.com/>The Secret Gimp</a> doing what he does best!

A

Andre the mage

uhhm
i think i said this before : i killed quite some overseers before they where first mentioned here

W

WolfZbane

Don't bother: I mentioned them before anyone else, but noone responded to my post as well.

*feels all isolated and lonely and stuff*

<center>WolfZbane - Spammus Maximus</center>
<center>
</center>

E

Elyssar

The gargoyle family is one of the larger species in britannia. Ranging from fleshy pink (or red in 3D) commoners to tough as stone creatures of rock or searing hot with fire, these monsters can be a formidable foe.

The first we'll look at it the commonest of the lot.

The gargoyle isn't very hard for advanced warriors or mages. These can be found in many forested regions, Fire Isle, Wind, Hythloth, and the Sorceror's Dungeon of Ilshenar. They give around 100 gold, level 1 treasure maps, arrows, potions, reagents, the occasional magic item, as well as a gargoyle's pickaxe. These guys can cast seventh level spells and aren't shy about sending a flamestrike or energy bolt.

Next on the totem pole, the stone gargoyle. He hits harder than his soft pink brother, but has no magic. His power is in his melee, and he's very good at it! Stone gargoyles yield 150 to 200 gold, arrows, potions, the occasional magic item, scrolls, ore, gargoyle's pickaxe, and level 2 treasure maps.

The stone gargoyle's next of kin are the red-hot toughies of many names. Blistering, Scorching, Fiery...whatever the prefix, it means that they hurt, and they can hurt very badly. Their aura damage can reveal those trying to hide from them, as well as dealing extra damage As if the aura wasn't enough, they're formidable mages and can cast seventh circle easily. They live in Hythloth and parts of Ilshenar and when slain yield, 250-300 gold, gems, scrolls, magic items, level 1 treasure maps, and a happy sense of accomplishment that it didn't barbecue you!

*enslaved gargoyle pic coming soon*
The enslaved gargoyle, forced to do the bidding of the vile controllers, live deep inside Ilshenar. I haven't fought any of them, so am unable to say the sort of loot they give or their capabilities.

One of the tougher gargoyles, the gargoyle enforcer can take out a controller when goaded by a bard to do so. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif He gives 250-300 gold as well as a magic axe! The particular one i took down gave me one of force, which explains why he took out a controller, a few brigands, 3 scorpions, 1 strong mongbat, and 2 earth elementals without taking too much damage. However, he is vulnerable to magic and a few attacks from my mage took him down.

The gargoyle destroyer. What can I say? His name alone was enough to make our secret agent bard, Minerva, wary of him. She tried to work her musical charms on him, but alas he could not be goaded to fight his masters, nor could anything else be encouraged to attack him! (Hmm...he must be pretty tough if no one else can be convinced to tangle with him in a brawl!) Loot is unknown, as Minerva didn't want to have to bother with the friendly golems who were lounging nearby to research this.

Now it is your turn to add whatever knowledge has been left out on these gargoyles, as well as any tales or other thoughts to share on them! (Additional gargoyles will be added as they are introduced...if they are introduced.)