• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Creating a Helpful Rares Guide

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Please read the instructions at the bottom to participate. Thank you!

Over the years, I have tried hard to determine the value of rare items in terms of gold. Since the price of gold fluctuates so much this scale could be adjusted to fit the currency conversion. Hope this helps "NEW" players price their items for about the right price. Hope it also helps "New" players buy wisely. I understand completely that the market determines price for anything, so these values are NOT arbitrary.

Rarity Scale – determining rarity on a scale 1 – 10 for collectible items.

Rarity Level 10 – Worth could be valued at 500 million gold and beyond
Rarity Level 9 – Worth Approximately 350 – 500 million gold
Rarity Level 8 – Worth Approximately 200 – 350 million gold
Rarity Level 7 - Worth Approximately 100 – 200 million gold
Rarity Level 6 – Worth approximately 50 – 100 million gold
Rarity Level 5 – Worth Approximately 25 – 50 million gold
Rarity Level 4 – Worth Approximately 15 – 25 million gold
Rarity Level 3 – Worth Approximately 5 – 15 million gold
Rarity Level 2 – Worth Approximately 1 – 5 million gold
Rarity Level 1 – Worth is valued under one million gold

Unique – Automatically receives a value of 6
Very Rare – Automatically receives a value of 5
Rare – Automatically receives a value of 4
Uncommon – Automatically receives a value of 3
Common – Automatically receives a value of 2
Spawning – Automatically receives a value of 1

Color – Unique color add 1
Duped – subtract 2 for any item that has been duplicated many times
Graphic/Animated – Unique Graphic and/or Animated add 1 only even if it has both
Nerfed – subtract 2 for any item that UO made similar items of
Size/Name – Large Size and/or Cool Title add 1 only even if it has both
Useful – Useful items you can wear receive 1
Wearable – add +1 for all wearable rare items.

Example – Vine Cord Sandals were originally unique so a value of 6 and they could be worn so you add 2, and 1 more for color and 1 for usefulness equals 10. Unfortunately they were duped and lost 2 points equals 8.

Example – Royal Britannia Guard sash is common so equals 1, it is wearable add 1, and the Europa Gold/Catskills White/Oceania Purple add 1 more point for them. Normal royal guard sashes are a nice to have so it receives a rarity level of 2. The nice colored sashes are level 3 and could fetch as high as 5 - 15 million gold.

The goal here is to help me create a good system to determine the value of rare items. Please attempt to use this scale according to the current guidelines to make good or bad examples. Then please add a helpful suggestion that will assist players buying desireable collectible rare items. Thank you for your participation!

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually think this is a good guide. I've tested it on some rares and it works (of course there will always be exceptions):
2 story statue:
Graphic – Unique graphic add 1
Size – Large items receive an additional point

Rank 7:

Which is 100% accurate.

Kudos and thanks, Nails :).

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It might take some time to get use to but I think it's kinda neat.

Thank you for thinking of this. Wish the High Council thoght of it.

Esmeralda

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, quite a nice idea, and helps those who don´t have that much clue about rares pricing! *points at herself and laughs*

F

feath

i like this a lot. thanks for all the hard work you put into it!

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
seems cool... only question i have is the purpose of the "spawning" segment becuz i heard that anything that still spawns is not considered rare by this forum's standards.

Nails Warstein

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
seems cool... only question i have is the purpose of the "spawning" segment becuz i heard that anything that still spawns is not considered rare by this forum's standards.
Good question. In game artifacts, anniversary & holiday gifts, and anything when they first come out, like the white stuffies are often potentially desirable for their soon to be rare quality.

Alcestis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually the example Kaj gave doesn't work out, as the statues have been duped so that'd be minus 2 making it a 5 : 25-50m.

SHould maybe make it:

recent dupe ppl still remember minus 2 and dupe nobody cares about anymore status quo ;)

V

Vahne

This definitely seems like a good system overall. My only question is...what would determine the difference of very rare, rare, and uncommon? That is certainly open to interpretation I would think. and how strict would unique mean? 1? 2-3? I understand that this is intended as a somewhat open ended system, though that's just a few points I had.

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually the example Kaj gave doesn't work out, as the statues have been duped so that'd be minus 2 making it a 5 : 25-50m.

SHould maybe make it:

recent dupe ppl still remember minus 2 and dupe nobody cares about anymore status quo ;)
Not all the statues have been duped (at least to my knowledge). There are 4 different types (not counting the red ones).
Also it says 'duplicated many times', I think that would apply for items seen for sale a lot. The statues aren't seen for sale daily (unlike vine cord before they were deleted and certain shrouds).

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think if the item is animated it should get another point added to it also... like fire rubble, wind spirit, dark crystal shard, etc....

Moslar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nails, this is awesome for people to get a general idea on price. There will be value difference in the end, for example, It would be close to some of my items but I do know what I exactly payed for them and do not plan on losing much per item. In fact because of aging like wine, I may expect 5-10 more mil per item. Great job for those looking to buy though, awesome work.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Please read the instructions at the bottom to participate. Thank you!

Over the years, I have tried hard to determine the value of rare items in terms of gold. Since the price of gold fluctuates so much this scale could be adjusted to fit the currency conversion. Hope this helps "NEW" players price their items for about the right price. Hope it also helps "New" players buy wisely. I understand completely that the market determines price for anything, so these values are NOT arbitrary.

Rarity Scale – determining rarity on a scale 1 – 10 for collectible items.

Rarity Level 10 – Worth could be valued at 500 million gold and beyond
Rarity Level 9 – Worth Approximately 350 – 500 million gold
Rarity Level 8 – Worth Approximately 200 – 350 million gold
Rarity Level 6 – Worth approximately 50 – 100 million gold
Rarity Level 5 – Worth Approximately 25 – 50 million gold
Rarity Level 4 – Worth Approximately 15 – 25 million gold
Rarity Level 3 – Worth Approximately 5 – 15 million gold
Rarity Level 2 – Worth Approximately 1 – 5 million gold
Rarity Level 1 – Worth is valued under one million gold

Unique – Automatically receives a value of 6
Rare – Automatically receives a value of 4
Uncommon – Automatically receives a value of 3
Common – Automatically receives a value of 2
Spawning – Automatically receives a value of 1

Color – Unique color add 1
Duped – subtract 2 for any item that has been duplicated many times
Graphic – Unique graphic add 1
Nerfed – subtract 2 for any item that UO made similar items of
Size – Large items receive an additional point
Useful – Useful items you can wear receive 1
Wearable – add +1 for all wearable rare items.

Example – Vine Cord Sandals were originally unique so a value of 6 and they could be worn so you add 2, and 1 more for color and 1 for usefulness equals 10. Unfortunately they were duped and lost 2 points equals 8.

Example – Royal Britannia Guard sash is common so equals 1, it is wearable add 1, and the Europa Gold/Catskills White/Oceania Purple add 1 more point for them. Normal royal guard sashes are a nice to have so it receives a rarity level of 2. The nice colored sashes are level 3 and could fetch as high as 5 - 15 million gold.

The goal here is to help me create a good system to determine the value of rare items. Please attempt to use this scale according to the current guidelines to make good or bad examples. Then please add a helpful suggestion that will assist players buying desireable collectible rare items. Thank you for your participation!
Its a good idea but the level of duping destroy any formula.

You need a formula based on numbers that exist.

There is no way to do that.

Plus you are basing it on gold.
Its one thing to rate it on rarity to give and idea.
Its another think to equate it to gold.

Duped gold. Devalues gold. Removal of gold increases gold value. You know what I mean.

I would stick to trying to create a rating.

Now keep in mind. If I go through the statue building quest and get a unique named statue based on my characture that should be worth 100's millions.

Its not. But only 1 exists.

Good luck. It a monumentous task your taking on.

K

Kratos Aurion

I've tried it with a few items. Its a great guide as it is. As always though there are exceptions but there are ways around that.

What I'd really like to see though is a library of rares. With images and details (year, lore, other info) for each item. Can be put together by the community like a wiki. Just have each added item appropriately placed.

M

Moby Grape

In deed, this is probably one of the best pricing guides seen to date.

Add to sticky lists of event rares and server births, would make an excellent base to work from.

This is a pricing guide, nothing set in stone, ask or take what price you want!

Great Job!

Nails Warstein

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
i think if the item is animated it should get another point added to it also... like fire rubble, wind spirit, dark crystal shard, etc....
Good idea

Nails Warstein

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Graphic/Animated – Unique Graphic and/or Animated add 1 only even if it has both
Size/Name – Large Size and/or Cool Title add 1 only even if it has both
I amended these rules per this thread's advice, and thank you very much for the great feedback! Hope it makes a little difference in your trade decisions.

:thumbup: