• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creating a faction trap remover - my journal of gains....

• Thread starter imported_Irish Rage
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
I

imported_Irish Rage

Day 2

- Created a few more chests up to about 20 now.
- Raised and locked my tinkering skill at 65. Going to keep it here till I get my picking up to 84-85ish.

End of day Two:

Detect Hidden - 51.7
Tinkering - 65.2
Remove Trap - 54.0
Lockpicking - 50.8

I'm now working on a diff theory I found somewhere:

40 lockable boxes made by a 30 skill tinker till 50ish
100 lockable boxes made by a 65 skill tinker till 84
300 lockable boxes made by a gm tinker till 95

I

imported_Irish Rage

Day 3

- Created 100 new box's with my new tinkering skill of 66.
- Put 20 each in 5 pouchs with a key ring in the center of each.
- Doing this you can keep the pouchs on your person and not have to use lockdown/secure space.

End of day Three:

Detect Hidden - 78.0
Tinkering - 66.8
Remove Trap - 54.3
Lockpicking - 84.0

The 66 skill tinkered chests worked beutifully to get my picking up to 84 in a matter of a few hours. They also worked great at the level to trap and gain DH on. So far I have gotten to 78 with gains coming consistently. I'm going to try getting it up to 80 today and then working RT for awhile to see how far 66 tinkering will take you in that skill. After that I will raise my tinkering to 85 or so and re-trap all the box's to work DH and RT again.

Couple observations so far. Picking actually has no effect from what I've researched on the removal of faction traps. You just need it to be at 50 in order to buy up and train RT. I added it to my template more for fun then anything. I'll probably take it up to 95 or so, so I can mess around in fel dungeons picking chests/etc.

DH is actually a very easy skill to raise and is more time consuming then anything. Just make a UOA macro that DH's as many box's as possible with a 12-16 sec delay imbetween each attempt.

I'm going to see if I can reveal faction traps with 80 DH and will report my findings.

I

imported_Irish Rage

Day 4

- Stuck with the same 100 box's I've made previously.
- Allowed my tinkering to raise up to 70.2 to keep it at least 5 above my remove trap skill. Will probably raise it to 80 tommorrow.

End of day four:

Detect Hidden - 78.2
Tinkering - 70.2
Remove Trap - 65.0
Lockpicking - 84.0

Didn't work anything but remove trap today for about 8-10 hours on and off. IMO this has to be the worst, most tedious, and stupidly hard skills to raise in all of UO for it having so little uses. I'd go work town and dungeon chests, but I'm in factions and suffer stat loss if I kill myself (smart thinking there). Besides I can't imagine the gains would be better then what I'm getting off my tinkered box's. We will see how it goes tonight.

I

imported_Irish Rage

Day 5

- I was succeeding on RT almost everytime and gains were slowing bigtime so I raised my tinkering to 81.6.
- Didn't work anything but RT today (about 4 hours), and will continue to do so till I get it to at least 80-85. Then I'll raise my tinkering to 95-GM and finish off both DH, RT, & Picking after I make another 100 box's.

End of day five:

Detect Hidden - 78.4
Tinkering - 81.6
Remove Trap - 70.3
Lockpicking - 84.0

Well the gains have definitly picked up since I raised my tinkering. I think the trick is to keep your tinkering at least 10-15 points ahead of your DH/RT skills in order to keep the difficulty at around 65% success rates. This maximizes skill gain and has worked perfectly for me so far. I've heard it's possible to GM DH off GM tinkered box's, but I'm not sure about RT so will have to wait and see =)

I

imported_Irish Rage

Day 6

- Pretty good day for only working RT about 6 hours.
- I stopped working RT/DH and am raising my tinkering to 90 before I continue tommorrow.

End of day six:

Detect Hidden - 78.4
Tinkering - 87.5
Remove Trap - 77.6
Lockpicking - 84.0

*Note: Tinkering stayed at 81.6 until I got to 77.6 RT. At this point the gains slowed and I was succeeding on almost every trap as I did previously. I then worked tinkering up to 87.5 and will start today finishing raising it to 90. Wish me luck =)

I

imported_Irish Rage

Day 7

- Took a day off as I had some RL things to take care of =)
- Raised tinkering to 90.
- Re-traped the same 100 box's with 90 tinkering.

End of day seven:

Detect Hidden - 88.4
Tinkering - 90.0
Remove Trap - 80.4
Lockpicking - 84.0

Worked both RT and DH today with more time being spent on DH. Just kept using the same 100 box's with my new tinkering skill of 90. The gains are still consistent and I haven't had to "reset" my gains yet =)

I

imported_Irish Rage

Day 8:

- Kept tinkering at 90 on this char, as I have a GM tinker on another account.
- Kept using the same 100 box's.

End of day eight:

Detect Hidden - 94.1
Tinkering - 90.0
Remove Trap - 80.8
Lockpicking - 84.0

Worked DH almost all day while working on some things on the computer. Just kept DH'ing the same 100 box's and gains were actually very consistent. I used about 50 box's trapped by my 90 skill tinker and the other 50 trapped by my GM tinker on another account. It seemed to work really well for gains. Tommorrow I'll probably remove trap on all of them and trap them all with my GM tinker.

Anyway I'm almost there and removed about 11 TB traps the other day! It seems that around 80-85 DH you start to passively detect faction traps when your about 5-10 tiles from them. At 80 RT I failed quite a bit and went thru about 3 faction removal kits to successfully remove all 11 traps. So that's about 75 attempts for 11 traps (as I still have the last kit) at 80 skill. I think I'm going to raise it to 90-95 ish before I turn to GGS gains the rest of the way.

I

imported_Irish Rage

Day 9:

Took a few days off as you can tell =) I lost 20 of my boxs for some reason. I think they dropped off me one time when I logged in and decayed heh. Anyway I made 80 new box's with my GM tinker this time and color coded them to tell the difference. I then trapped all 160 box's again with my gm tinker.

End of day nine:

Detect Hidden - 99.8
Tinkering - 90.0
Remove Trap - 80.9
Lockpicking - 84.0

As you can see the GM trapped 160 box's got me to 99.8 in about 8-10 hours today. The gains seem to always come in runs of .3-.5 almost every time. I couldn't get the last .2 off these box's so I think I'm gonna just use GGS to finish off DH. Anyway time to work RT =)

I

imported_Irish Rage

Post Day 10

Well hello all. As you can see I took some time off working this char. I GM'd detect hidden off 2 GGS gains over a couple of days. I discovered I had about a 40-50% success rate on disarming faction traps and 100% success rate on detecting and revealing them.

At about 80-85 Detect hidden you will begin to reveal the traps simply by walking by them. The higher your DH the farther away you can be. As you walk by text will flag in the color of the trap (green=poison, purple=explosion, etc.) within about 3-4 tiles of where the trap is. You then need to use the skill directly and reveal the trap itself. At GM skill I have at least a 95% success rate on revealing them everytime if I'm withing a few tiles. At 81 RT I still have considerable difficulty disarming the traps but have gotten over 1.7 in gains on about 25 different faction traps, so I'm thinking about just sticking to them for a little while. Once I hit 95 I'll use my +5 skill bonus and finish off the skill.

Current Totals after disarming 25 Faction traps

Detect Hidden - GM
Tinkering - 90.2 (GGS gains making disarm kits)
Remove Trap - 82.7
Lockpicking -84.0

I

imported_Irish Rage

Update: Days 10-15

I've continued working this char a few hours a week and thought I'd post an update on my progress. I plan on doing this the rest of the way to GM as I don't work the char on a daily basis at this point. Days 1-5 were pretty consistent. Up till 86ish I continued using my 90 skill tinker to trap all the boxs. I'm currently using about 140 boxs total (100 at a time) and rotating bags of 20 in an out (can only hold 5 bags of 20 each). Gains have been incredibly consistent. I went from 82.7 to 87.3 in about 5 days just doing 100 boxs a day for however long it takes my UOA macro to run. I gain about a full point per day/per 100 boxs. At 87.3 I trap about 40 boxs with my 90 tinker and the remaining 60 with my GM tinker. The mix of the two seems to provide for consistent gains. If the gains slow up at I get higher I'll probably raise my 90 tinker to 95 and repeat the method again. Anyway I'll keep ya posted.

Current Totals after 500 Box's

Detect Hidden - GM
Tinkering - 90.2
Remove Trap - 87.4
Lockpicking -84.0

allis

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nice guid you written there i am also considering training detect and remove traps on my thief so i can remove traps....

question though, i only need 50 picking to to be able to use remove traps?

I

imported_Irish Rage

Yeah picking skill has no effect in terms of success chance, etc. For some silly reason though you need at least 50 picking to use the skill. Who knows what the thought process behind that was =)

I

imported_Irish Rage

Update: Days 15-20

I have been using the same 100 box's since I started and had no problems gaining off any up to this point.

Current Totals after 500 Box's

Detect Hidden - GM
Tinkering - 90.2
Remove Trap - 93.2
Lockpicking -84.0

I

imported_Irish Rage

Update: Days 16-17
I have been using the same 100 (+40 more I thru in about half way) box's since I started and had no problems gaining off any up to this point.

Current Totals after my last 400 Box's

Detect Hidden - GM
Remove Trap - GM!!!

I used my GM tinker the last 400 boxs or so and gained quite well to 95. At that point I used my AoS gift (which says disarming not remove trap in the menu) to finish off the last 5 points to GM!!! This was by far the hardest skill to gain I've ever worked in Uo. It took a great deal of time in terms of just collecting the materials, setting up the boxs and macros, and finally just took forever with the delay between skill use. The guide pretty much sums it up and I will condense it once I finish the factions faq I'm currently working on. Any questions just feel free to PM me or post to this thread.

I

imported_Irish Rage

Hello everyone. I looked everywhere for information on making a trap remover post AoS and haven't had a whole lot of luck. So I'm gonna make this journal for myself and anyone else who is thinking about creating such a char.

Day 1:

- Created a new char with 50 detect hidden, 50 picking.
- Bought up magery, eval, med, remove trap, tinkering, & carp to 30's from npc's.
- Worked my tinkering up to 40's making scissors.

- I then created 15 box's and proceeded to dart trap all of them.
- Using this method I allowed my tinkering to go up as I removed trap and re-trapped all the box's.

End of day One:

Detect Hidden - 51.5
Tinkering - 55
Remove Trap - 48
Lockpicking - 50.7

I'm working on the theory that if I keep my tinkering at about 5-10 points above my detect, picking, and trap removal I should be in line to gain consistently without having to hit dungeon/town chest till the mid/high 80's. Will see how it goes =)

I

imported_hen

Any chance of this being stickied? I'm about to start making a faction trap maker/remover on either Drach or Europa and this looks like a good benchmark for people training up.

D

Deft Touch

I can tell you exactly what the thought process behind it was...

Remove Trap was originally added to the game at the same time treasure maps and treasure hunting were added. Also at this same time, dungeon chests were given locks and traps (whereas they had previously been accessible to anyone who simply opened them).

The two prerequisites for the skill were (and still are) 50 Detect Hidden and 50 Lockpicking. (Stealth, the only other skill to have a prerequisite, was also introduced to the game at this time.)
The thinking was that Detect Hidden was required in order to be able to observe the minute and complex details of a trap, and Lockpicking was required because it dealt with fine manipulation of similar mechanisms.

Remove Trap was originally intended to be a treasure hunter's skill, so it made sense to have Detect Hidden, Lockpicking and Remove Trap all together, but since OSI left Telekinesis to function as it does (a bad move in my opinion), Remove Trap gets very little use or attention.
So Factions were created, and Remove Trap was given a role to play there, but the prerequisite skills are still present from its roots in treasure hunting.

L

Lady Malynn

Hi all,

I put my thief in factions to steal sigils. The faction leader asked that I add remove trap to the thief's template.

So, I need 50 dedect hidden and 50 lockpick? I've never made a t hunter. Can you help me some with hints? Where do I buy dedect hidden and lockpick? How do you suggest I move those skills up to 50?

My thief has no fighting skills, and is in factions already. So, I'm wondering how best to move those skills up without attacting too much orange attention.

G

Knowing how costly it is to place a faction trap, I am curious about the benefits of removing one. Do you receive silver from doing so? Does it require a faction trap removal kit?

M

Mr Pink

maybe nice to include in this FAQ that at lockpicking level below 30 it is not wise to have your tinkering skill to high.
I raised my tinkerskill till 60.1 just to be done with it and I'm not able to open any of the boxes i made.
So now I'm back to town running, I hope that with 30.1 I will be able to gain from the boxes I made.

the skills i will be going for are
50.1 lockping
100 detect hidden
100 remove trap

Ok, I made a new tinker, stopped at 40.1. Made 20 boxes, and having quite nice gains in lockpicking untill now (currently at 40.8).

untill now i used 400 lockpicks or so

updates will follow

M

Mr Pink

faction traps cost 1000 silver, 10 ingots and a pot.
a trap removal kit will cost 500 silver and some stuff.
as far as I know there is no $$$ gain in removing. The one who places the trap however get a small amount of silver everytime damage is done or someoen dies.

For me the silver is not the reason to have a trap remover, it's just that i want to get those damded traps away, I always forget where they are and die of em :p

N

Navicerts

i want to make a character for this type of thing in factions but i like to pvp and i really cant afford another account right now /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif. sometimes i wonder about the motives of osi when they make these things, y cant we just be limited to one faction /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

I

imported_Irish Rage

Detect Hidden and Lockpicking can both be bought up from a thief guildmaster. They are found mainly in brit and cove.

N

Navicerts

started the free account /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif, your right this skill is tedious41.5 on secoind day (didnt work it the first)i think ill just start off using as many boxes as i can hold

N

Navicerts

faster now that i realized i DONT have to lock the chests in order to detrap them!

S

Simonides

Thanks for the guide Irish Rage. I can now honestly say that RT is the most painful skill I've ever worked. I'd forgotten just how painful. Raising the accompanying tinkering isn't much fun either.

Ugh! Back to the boxes. Looking forward to getting ~90 (at 70 atm). I can't wait to actually get to use this skill.

E

Enmiron

Love the guide but it seems to be missing one rather crucial thing, how often did you die when you failed on the trap removal .

I've done dh, rt and lp a bunch of times over 3 different characters and i've never seen detect hidden being this difficult to raise (just hit 50), and europa pvp community in yew is not much help at all when it comes to easy gains.

I would like to emphasize that i dont want it to be easy but there seems to have been a change with the entire picking skill set situation.

Example 1: Town chests are harder to pick at lower levels than they was prior to AoS
Example 2: Due to the changes in resists (4 types) working remove trap is a death robe insurance card (ie you will always have one within 2 or 3 minutes after starting training remove trap)

Dont know if its just me but there seems to have been a change in the town / dungeon chests overall.

Also, lockpick breaking, it was my understanding that the picks would stop breaking at some level, i seem to remember 80.1 , 91 or 95 skill level. Might just be confusing the numbers with other skills.

After i changed my old khaldun picker to an elder archer i have forgotten some of the details with this profession. (hears the words *read the faq* in my head).

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this and the decline of pvp people on europa?

G

<blockquote><hr>

faction traps cost 1000 silver, 10 ingots and a pot.
a trap removal kit will cost 500 silver and some stuff.
as far as I know there is no $$$ gain in removing. The one who places the trap however get a small amount of silver everytime damage is done or someoen dies.

For me the silver is not the reason to have a trap remover, it's just that i want to get those damded traps away, I always forget where they are and die of em :p

<hr></blockquote>

I'm going to stealth into the faction and disable traps and stand beside sigils. When the faction im in raids, i grab the sigils through all the commotion! Voila!

M

Malrex

Back in the day, before AOS, I had a faction trap remover. I think I was the only one on my server for a long time. I remember hanging out in the healer house as I worked that darn skill. I got to tell you guys, it was a freakin blast to play him. I had a spattering of magery and actually was able to kill a few. But my main goal was always to remove traps, stealth around and steal sigils. Even made a few classic boat getaways from Magnicia with a bunch of people after me.

If I remember right (its been like 6 years) you were able to get some silver for each trap removed....and it really ANNOYED people. Remove trap sucked to skill up but I have to say its worth it if you think thats your gamestyle. Detect hidden is also an awesome skill that I think people overlook (or use too). Anyways, if factions are still going on somewhere, have fun with this character.

Raditzz of Sonoma

C

Clx-

<blockquote><hr>

&lt;br&gt;Just curious if anyone else has noticed the decline of pvp people on europa?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It's a lot worse in the 3 years since you posted that~

And i'm also going to try training this skill sometime soon, in the hope that my positives vibes in making such a faction character encourage the dev team to get working on some faction fixes~~ Sounds like i'm going to find it at least a little bit frustrating.

I

imported_Tina Small

Remove Trap's definitely a challenging skill to raise. I have one faction thief with GM Remove Trap and have another thief character I'm training who is at about 70 Remove Trap. Here are a few tips for you:

<ul> [*]Wear high physical armor and have a reliable way to heal. (I'm using magery again on this character.)
[*]Try to avoid wearing gloves when you remove traps. Your success is supposed to be better without them on, plus working on the skill really dings the durability of your gloves.
[*]As you're working the skill, try to keep Tinkering 3-10 whole points higher than Remove Trap. Try to keep Detect Hidden skill higher than Remove Trap, but I'm not sure that it matters as long as you start with it over 50. It is fairly easy to just run through a few rounds of a macro that does Detect Hidden on each of your chests as you go along and tinkering skill is raising. Kind of gives you a break from getting hit with darts so much.
[*]I'd probably start the character with 50 Lockpicking and 50 Detect Hidden. (You need 50 of each to buy Remove Trap training. If you start with less than 50 Detect Hidden skill, use the skill on crates in a provisioner's shop and once that stops being effective, use it on the chests at the bank in Jhelom.) Buy Tinkering training and raise it to 40 by making scissors. (I couldn't find a way to buy 40 Tinkering training in New Haven, but maybe it's possible and I was just hitting the wrong trainer.) Buy the max amount of Magery or Healing skill (should be 40). Then buy the max possible amount of training in Remove Trap (probably about 25). Also buy about 25 carpentry (you will drop it later). That should make your starting skills something like this: 50 Lockpicking, 50 Detect Hidden, 40 Magery or 40 Healing, 40 Tinkering, 25 Remove Trap, 25 Carpentry. Using a soulstone add any other skills you want that character have (e.g., stealing, tracking, hiding, stealthing). However, you might want to hold off on adding the other skills until later just to get more GGS gains (the GGS gains slow down the higher your overall skill total is) while you're working on Remove Trap.
[*]You may want to try to raise your character's strength as much as possible before you start working on Remove Trap and Tinkering. I usually grab a soulstone or fragment for the character and then go do some mining some place nnear an inn (Umbra's a nice choice). Work it up to about 25 skill level, turn it down, run to the inn or recall to your house, move the skill to the soulstone or fragment, and then remove it from the soulstone or fragment. Turn the mining skill back up again and repeat the process as many times as it takes to get strength where you want it. It usually takes me about 45 minutes or so to raise strength about 40 points this way. You also don't exhaust any of the uses on a soulstone fragment, since you're not transferring the mining skill to another character.
[*]Buy a nice supply of bolts, ingots, and tinker tools and grab about 250 boards. Make 21 of the small red wooden boxes (20 must have keys). Put the 20 boxes that have keys inside one box and put all their keys on a keyring. (You can wipe the Carpentry skill off the character at this point if you want.)
[*]Make sure Tinkering skill is locked at about 40, dart trap the 20 boxes and then lock them.
[*]Start trying to remove the traps. Remove gloves and be prepared to do lots of healing because you will fail A LOT. There's a timer on using Remove Trap, so it's incredibly tedious. I usually work on the same box over and over until I get the trap off it. Then I say the number of the trap I just took out so it's recorded in my journal in case I lose track of which box I was working on. Then I move on to the next trap and repeat the process until all 20 traps are cleared.
[*]Trap all 20 boxes again, run your UOA macro to do Detect Hidden a few times if you want, and then remove all the traps. Repeat over and over and over. When Remove Trap is about 35 or so, unlock Tinkering and let your character gain Tinkering from placing the traps.
[*]When you get close to 90 with all three skills, you might try having a GM Tinker trap some other boxes for you to see if you can remove the traps. If you can without it taking many many attemps, you might consider taking the time to go to 100 Tinkering on your trap remover character at that point if it is also going to be a faction tinker and make trap deeds (make lockpicks to 92 and spyglasses to GM; can sell the spyglasses to a shipmaker). If not, then soulstone off the 90 Tinkering and just have your GM tinker do the rest of the trapping for you. (You'll have to swap characters every so often, but you might get more GGS gains with the 90 drop in your overall skills.)
[*]Don't put the character in factions until you have Remove Trap done to a usable level (i.e., 90 or higher), If you can't wait on joining factions, just be aware that if you die removing your own practice traps, you will have 20 minutes of skill loss. [/list]

Note: Since writing this post originally, I've since been working on Remove Trap on a couple more characters. I've made some modifications to my training, but thought I'd leave the above write-up as is. What I'm doing differently these days is to raise Detect Hidden to GM first by using it on trapped boxes in banks or dungeons. Create a UOA macro to use the skill on as many targets as you can. After Detect Hidden skill is finished, I then move on to working up Tinkering and Remove Trap. I've also found that I really only need to use one box, not the 20 described above if I'm just focusing on those two skills. If you decide to raise Detect Hidden as you go, though, I think you will probably want to stick to the method above where you use 20 boxes.

C

Clx-

Thanks for the info. Haven't gotten around to starting yet, but will do soon.

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I wouldnt keep killing myself I would be doing much better! I found also that when I removed unnecessary skills to soul stones (for the win) and keep my skill at 300 or so my gains where better. Also I use a healing wand since I removed my magery.

I

imported_Tina Small

Yes, I think keeping those other skills at a minimum and focusing on Remove Trap is the way to go, if you can do it. I'm giving it a try now on some new characters. Have been trying to get the Detect Hidden as high as I can first though so I don't have to mess with raising it as I go. And I plan to soulstone off the tinkering and use my GM tinker to trap the boxes as soon as I can.

Is your physical resist at 70? If it's not, you might want to buy or make a pile of Reactive Armor spell scrolls (they're level 1 so I think you should be able to buy them at mage store) and use one before you start working on Remove Trap. I don't think you would need more than 0.1 magery to use them. Using one pushes up your physical resist by at least 15 (a bit more if you also have Inscription skill) and the effect lasts until you cast the spell again; however, the other resists each drop by 5 points. (You probably already know all this. LOL) I know it helped me to start using that spell when I started working on Remove Trap on another character, since I hadn't put her in very good armor yet.

Heal spell is also a level 1 spell so you wouldn't need magery skill to use scrolls for that either, and you might even be able to cast Greater Heal spells with very very low magery using scrolls. Don't know if Spirit Speak would be an option for you too. Might not need a lot, however I think it's another one of those skills that has a timer on it so that would just end up being frustrating to mix using it with using Remove Trap. ROFL Dang skill use timers!!

Lady Pamela

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know you are busy and i hope you re gm but i am trying to cut and copy and paste and i cant if u have all the journal on one page could you post it again.if its too much trouble i understand

G

Gellor

Last week I finished my remove trapper.

I worked remove trap and tinkering on the same char at the same time until around 75 skill in tinkering. Then I force worked tinkering to 94. I then worked remove trap to GM.

My "steps" for sucess were:
  1. I bought remove trap and tinkering up to 30 and 40.
  2. I bought chiv up to 40 to handle my healing. To me, this was a cheaper method of healing than doing magery. Remove trap beats up armor so wearing an lrc suit wasn't a good idea.
  3. I made a single lockable box. Thanks to the removal of the anti macro code, this now works.
  4. I did plain dart traps all the way to GM remove.
  5. I wore a pair of ember legs, violet courage, pendant of magi, totem of the void, and a mr 2 bracelet. The courage ended up fairly damaged from all the fails but didn't break:D I had max strength and never died.
  6. I sat in my house with lots of arrows and ingots.

After LOTS and LOTS of hours of watching Netflix instant movies while working remove trap, I hit GM:bowdown:

I have no idea on detect hidden since I've had it GM'd on the char for years:eek:

G

gmcbroom

Great work! I however have a few questions.

1)How high does your Remove trap skill have to be in order to remove faction traps successfully? Ie..is it 80 or do you really need 100?

2)Do you still need to buy a faction trap remove kit if your remove trap skill is 100?

I'm working LockPicking right now but will be working detect hidden and remove trap as soon as LockPicking is GM.

I hope I'm not imposing.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i thought id finally come in here and post my faction trap remover(s)
i think im getting to be very good at this, specially making them - since i have one on pretty much every north american shard.

and in doing so ive become very fast at making them as well.

here is the template i run.

100 detect hidden
100 remove trap
100 hide
100 stealth
100 stealing
100 ninja
50 lockpicking
70 chiv

i make a nice suit medable and all 70's then i slap +stealth onto the ring and watch with as much ninja as i can (dog form for running sigs)

so what can i do with this template?
well, as you can see this isnt your pvp template here.
this is your worker bee template.
with this you can detect hidden or stealthing opposing faction people.
you can steal and run sigs.
you can detect and remove any and all faction traps very effectivlly.
and if you are so inclined you can roam around dungeons and be a old school crate thief.

typically for the suit i make the following - and this is only because i have those little green tokens on every shard.
legs of embers
anc sam helm
heart of the lion
quiver of infinity
boom stick
shield of invunrability
frostbringer (bow)

then from there i just pick up a gorget, arms and gloves to max out the suits resists, which can usually be done very cheap.

that suit will be all med and will have max DCI and give you a little mana regen.
and with the frostbringer bow (and these are cheap) it gives you 10 stamina regen..... so you can run sigs in wolf form and not loose stamina (thats a neat trick i found out - i should trademark it, hehe)

so now lets get into character developement.
ive done this a few different ways in making my 14 trap removers.
and this is what i have come to do as its the quickest and easiest.

train hide
train stealth
train chiv
(let med and focus go up)
train ninja (need the hide, stealth, med and focus for this - so thats why the order)

so now you have all those skills done, its been like 2 days lets say.

stone off hide and stealth and ninja till your done cause you wont need them till then (you orded all these first cause you need the mana from med and focus to work ninja fast and you need hide and stealth to work ninja fast as well)

so now your template is empty again with the exception of GM focus and med and your 70 skill in chiv.

buy up your lockpicking and detect (typically i start the toon with 50 in each)
if not, then work them.
lockpicking to 50 is easy even if you dont have friends, but carpentry to 33, buy tinkering to 33 and make a lockable box and now work skill to 50 and lock it there.

work detect hidden to GM.
how.... 2 ways.
either go to vesper and work it in the level 1 chest room to 75 then GM off of a GM tinker box, OR go and make a tinker and make a trapped box at 40, 60, 80 and GM skill and sit in your house and train your detect.
(if you wanna be supper lazy then make a box with 33 tinkering and go as high as you can, then get a GM box and go into the twited weld and get discoed by the satyr and work on the 33 skill box again, then once maxed you should be able to go out of disco and use the GM box to top off.

ok.
so now your GM detect hidden.

like stated above, you should also have 33 skill in carpentry and tinkering by now.

go get like 15k in iron and 10k in bolts.
get a cheap throw away LRC suit (cause your gonna wreck it working this skill) and try to make it high in PHY resist (easy way, get a pendant of the magic and wear LRC made from spined leather)

ok, now we work remove trap.

rule of thumb with remove trap.
tinkering skill should be between skill level and 10 above skill AT ALL TIMES for max gains. 10 above is the sweet spot from what i can tell.
over 12 above its not so good.

so, go find a GM thief NPC and buy up remove trap (you can now that you have GM detect hidden - you can actually buy it after you hit 50 detect if you want)

so you will have low end remove trap.
lets say 30.
so train tinkering up to 40.

now all you do is make the following macro on your uoassits.
if you dont use uo assits all your gonna do it trap a box and remove the trap x3.

now, because your tinkering is low you will fail at trapping the box a lot, so that is why i make my macro to do everything 3 times.

use item type (tink kit)
make last (dart trap)
target item (box)
pause 2000 (2 seconds)

use item type (tink kit)
make last (dart trap)
target item (box)
pause 2000 (2 seconds)

use item type (tink kit)
make last (dart trap)
target item (box)
pause 2000 (2 seconds)

wait for condition to be met - HP over 90
use skill (remove trap)
target item (trapped box)
pause 2000 (2 seconds)
cast spell (chiv heal)
target self
pause 3000 (3 seconds)
cast spell (chiv heal)
target self
pause 3000 (3 seconds)
cast spell (chiv heal)
target self
pause 3000 (3 seconds)

use skill (remove trap)
pause 2000 (2 seconds)
cast spell (chiv heal)
target self
pause 3000 (3 seconds)
cast spell (chiv heal)
target self
pause 3000 (3 seconds)
cast spell (chiv heal)
target self
pause 3000 (3 seconds)

use skill (remove trap)
pause 2000 (2 seconds)
cast spell (chiv heal)
target self
pause 3000 (3 seconds)
cast spell (chiv heal)
target self
pause 3000 (3 seconds)
cast spell (chiv heal)
target self
pause 3000 (3 seconds)

ok, i made the sets in different color just so you could see that i do the tinker 3 times, then the remove trap 3 times.

why the pauses?
cause there is a time lock on the skill.
so those pauses will hit the timer just right.

so then i just start playing that macro over and over.

now, things to watch.
from time to time your tinkering will either get too close to your remove trap skill or it will break away and try to shoot ahead.

keep an eye on it and adjust yourself as needed.
either locking tinkering or stopping the macro and working the tinkering up.
like i said, strive to keep the tinkering 10 ahead of your skill.
you can let your remove trap catch up to your tinkering and then stop your macro and work tinkering up by hand, i do that a lot.

ALSO - you will not gain in tinkering past like 85 by just making traped box, so you will need to go and work it by hand - pockpicks to 90, then into the twisted weld again and get discoed again and pockpicks again.
why?
cause it will save you 50k in iron - and im cheap!

ok.
so that will get you going.
once you hit like 80 skill in tinkering you can enter the macro and delete 2 of the 3 trap the box sets of lines as you wont fail trapping at that point.

also you can remove 1 of the sets of remove trap once you get into the 90's.

all said a cheap skill to work, as you just need a LRC suit and 15k iron and 10k bolts.

will take you a couple of days to hit GM remove trap.

when your done, point your med and focus down, eat your stone skills back off of the soul stones (or work them up now)
i stone the tinkering over to another toon cause its a waste to kill it.

then just working stealing and your done.

before you remove your tinkering, go get like 10k in silver and make a bunch or trap removal kits to keep in the bank cause you need high tinkering to make them, and some times its a pain to find a tinker unless you have one or move your tinkering over to your mule and put him into factions.

that that is it.
i hope that helps people with their character making.

if you get bored with factions and still wanna have some fun i would recomend a crate theif, just work your lockpicking up to GM and your good to go.

then you can cruise around and raid monsters lunchboxes (spawing chests in dungeons)

* note * you dont have to lock the box to train the skill, you can remove the trap from an unlocked box, saves you having to lock it each time cause you dont need to. (got a couple icqs about that, thought id point that out)
cheers.
Poo.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
just cranked out 2 more trap removers on 2 different shards.
1 more then i have one on every north american shard.

very cheap to make really.

anyways, thought id put some numbers of supplys up on the board here so you could all see how much it costs to make these guys.

Iron Used 11-13k
Bolts Used 7k

that was to get to 90 tinkering, so you can add another 3k on to get yourself from 90 to GM if you go into the Weld and get discoed and make lockpicks.

Poo

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poo, I know you say you have trap removers on the NA shards. Did you create one on Siege?

If not...do me a favor. Try to make one, without tinkering on Siege. I would love to see a write up on how to make one from 0 skill points without the aid of self made tinker traped boxes.

Thanks...la

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
actually... i have one on siege.

i also have a fully done tamer.
a fully done assassin.
and a fully done mule.

infact i use to play there, i had a keep there.

that was a couple years back mind you.
in the end i felt that siege was like playing UO with a handicap.
i just got the feeling that it was for people who couldnt train skills normally and needed gains spoon fed to them.

granted thats not everyone, but that was the impression i got from the majority of the people i ran into back then.
might be different now.

ill be heading back to siege here before the end of the year to finish up our world tour of factions so ill find out then if anything has changed.

good news of course is that all my toons are done, so ill be able to just log in and go and wont need to train any.

i look forward to seeing ya there, bro.
cheers.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rico, I'm currently working on my sixth trap remover. On the shard where we're actively playing right now, I already had three characters with some Tinkering skill, but none of them are on the same account as the trap remover (the miner/LJ/fisher, the blacksmith/tailor, and the tinker/carpenter/fletcher). I really didn't want yet another tinker on that shard. So this time, I'm doing a repeat of what I did with the first trap remover I made--raising Tinkering on a different character than the one that is training Remove Trap. All the other trap removers I made with Tinkering on the same character that was training Remove Trap and then moved the tinkering to another character when Remove Trap skill hit GM.

So far, it's going very well. The trap remover is up to 72 Remove Trap and the tinker that's going to make it to GM first is currently at 85 Tinkering. I'm a little stalled at the moment, though, until my miner can stockpile enough ingots for the tinker to finish training.

I've got a chest in the house that has five boxes in it, each of which contains yet another 20 boxes, for a total of 100 boxes being used to train Remove Trap. The trap remover character has five UO Assist macros set up, one for each box of 20 boxes. Each macro is quite long because it has 81 steps to it: remove trap from box 1, pause, greater heal self, pause; remove trap from box 2, pause, greater heal self, pause; etc., ending with use meditation skill at the end.

I know it's not necessary to have 100 boxes to train the skill, but having that many boxes means I don't have to have the tinker re-trap all the boxes quite so often. (First time I did it this way, I only had two boxes and switching chars to retrap everything got old quick.) When about half the traps have been removed from each box, it's time for the tinker to do her thing and re-trap everything that isn't already trapped.

The thief started out with fairly low magery skill but it's now up to almost 82 from having her use various spell channeling mage weapons as her magery skill raised. The Ember Staff has -10 magery, so it was a good starting mage weapon. Later switched to one with -26 magery. She's wearing as much physical resist armor as I could find, with Reactive Armor spell in effect to add more physical resist.

Not sure this is the kind of information you're looking for. There's definitely more than one way to manage training Remove Trap. You just have to find out which method works best for your particular situation.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rico, was re-reading your post about training on Siege and wanted to add the following comments. Not sure if they'll help, but perhaps they'll give you a few ideas.

When I started the thief/trap remover/tracker character I'm working on now, her starting skills were 50 Hiding and 50 Tracking. (Final "real" skills will be 100 Hiding, 100 Tracking, 100 Detect Hidden, 100 Remove Trap, 100 Magery, 90 Stealthing, 80 Stealing, and the obligatory 50 Lockpicking so she can remove traps.) (Note: Did you know that if you start the character in KR, the starting skill total is higher? I think you get to start out with 120 points versus 100 in 2d.)

The first skills she raised were Detect Hidden and Tracking. The little gold chests in merchant NPC shops seem to be the best ones to use to start out and yes I have started these characters with 0 Detect Hidden because it raises pretty quickly this way. Then move on to crates in provisioner shops and chests in some of the banks and dungeons. If I find a place that is giving good detect hidden gains, I make a UO Assist macro to go through all of the containers, alternating the Detect Hidden uses with using Tracking. The macro ends up looking like Detect on container 1, pause, Track characters, pause, Detect on container 2, pause, Track animals, pause, Detect on container 3, pause, Track characters, etc. The goal is to get Detect Hidden to GM. By the time that is done, Tracking is usually around 96 or 97. Finish Tracking by periodically using it as you train everything else.

Next skills to work on are Hiding and Stealthing. There are two nice long stretches in Nu'jelm that I've found are good for working on this because you can set the character to just walk on her own until she hits the end. Meanwhile, you just hit a hide macro every time she pops out of hiding, or create a long UO Assist macro to repeatedly hide. Turn her around when she hits the end and start the UO Assist macro again when it stops. Change clothing as needed and pretty soon you're at 90 Stealthing and Hiding is in the low 90s. (Finish Hiding by using it periodically as you train everything else.)

Okay now the real fun begins: raising Lockpicking from 0 to 50 so you can start to train Remove Trap skill. I won't lie to you...this stage is a royal pain. Tinkering needs to be at least 45 to make lockpicks. Fortunately, when you fail at tinkering, you only use up a charge on the tinkering tool and don't waste ingots. (Love it that it works that way.) So, you need to get your tinker character's tinkering to high 40s and start putting in a supply of lockpicks. Tinkering has to be at least 30 to create dart traps. So you have a bit of a dilemma and can screw yourself up big time if you don't do things properly at this point. I suggest having your low-level tinker make a big big pile of dart-trapped chests to get to the upper 40s in Tinkering and then make yourself a supply of lockpicks. Stick the keys on key rings (they'll hold 20 each). Now, lock those boxes and use them to train Lockpicking. Supplement them with picking the locks of those merchant NPC shop gold boxes and the crates in provisioner shops. Keep making more boxes as Tinkering raises from making lockpicks. If your house storage is getting tight now, may have to get a boat to put them on or beg a friend to help you store them. Eventually you can discard them, unless someone else wants them for training Lockpicking.

Eventually you WILL hit 50 Lockpicking by picking the locks on containers in shops and the boxes you made. (I set the boxes up with 20 boxes inside and all the keys on a ring with a book that shows what Tinkering skill was when the box was made...if carpenter had better skills, I'd just engrave the box with that info. I also dye the boxes with a furniture dye tub in a range of colors to help remind me what Tinkering skill was when they were made.) Note that it seems you break far fewer lockpicks trying to pick the locks on your tinker-made boxes than you do on the containers you find while out roaming around. And Lockpicking flies to 25 from picking anything you can find (probably even paragon chests) because you gain off failures. Then you hit a wall and have to find something low-end to use.

Once you hit 50 Lockpicking, you can FINALLY start training Remove Trap. As mentioned above in my previous post, I used 100 boxes and set up a separate UO Assist macro for each box. Thought about making a separate UO Assist macro for the tinker for each box so she could systematically go through each box trapping the 20 boxes inside, but the macro kept hanging up. So I just trap/check each box manually. Goes quickly enough because fortunately tinkering doesn't have a cool-down period. Thank the UO gods for that because just about everything else you do to make this character is limited by a timer. Haha.

After Remove Trap is done, I expect Magery will also be close to 90, certainly functional. Clothing will be in holes (j/k). (By the way, did you know you fail less at removing traps if you do it with nimble fingers that are not encumbered by wearing gloves?) Sanity will be wobbly. But she will be within sight of the end because all that's left then will be to get Stealing to 80. And I wouldn't presume to tell you, Rico, how to train Stealing!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i dont think old Rico was asking HOW to make one on siege, but rather was just beating the war drum to say that siege is harder and better to play on.

and i did make my siege guy in dungeons revealing and popping traps then picking them and taking the loot.
my template was the good old crate thief.

damn what a fun template for killing time in the afternoon.
but slow as beans to gain.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Closing in on finishing Remove Trap on another character (am up to 97.0). Thought I'd post some additional information that might be of some interest if you decide to work on this skill.

The LRC suit my thief is using has 70 physical resist, with the help of the buff from casting the Reactive Armor spell. I powdered all pieces of her suit before starting so each piece had at least 60 durability.

Finally today had to do some repairs. Leggings had fallen to 10 durability and hat and gorget were not far behind at 19 and 20 durability each. Her tunic was the next worse for wear, followed by gloves, which surprised me a bit. (And yes she probably shouldn't have even been wearing them but I had too much trouble getting to 100% LRC and 70 physical resist without them.)

What has shocked me the most is that her sleeves have taken NO damage whatsoever from all the dart traps she set off. Kinda seems like the darts hit legs and head first, torso next, then hands, and never hit the arms.

Sorta useless info, I guess, but would be curious to know if anyone else has seen the same pattern of wear from working on Remove Trap skill using dart-trapped boxes.