• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cow form

T

tad100

I think the quest is fine as is. The grass & mushrooms are easy to get - just take some time. The hardest part is that ou are required to seek help from another person for the milk and it takes at least 2 hours. There should be consequences in the game.

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
The ironic part is that the milk was supposed to be a "gimme" since cows can milk themselves! However, it turns out you can't milk yourself until Cow level 23. So ... harder than anticipated in that way. I don't know if we'll try to fix that quest for the pre-alpha, but we'll definitely address it going forward!

Citan

VIP
Stratics Veteran
GasaiYuno - we definitely want to address that, too. We've taken away a lot of the anonymity of typical MMOs -- this is one of the reason people remember the older MMOs fondly. There's no instanced dungeons, and the world populations are smaller (and more contained) which cuts down on the number of times you can be a **** to people without consequences. It's sort of a "small town" versus "big city" vibe. Not what everyone wants in an MMO, for sure... but it will appeal to some people a whole lot.

(There's the flip side of the coin, though, where "small town" can become "cliquish" and rude to newcomers... we're trying to put systems in place that make that less likely to happen, such as giving high-level people small rewards for helping newbies. We'll see how it works out!)

Kreath

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I was having a lot of fun with cow form last night. I really didn't mind the cow-speech side effect, I had fun with that too. It was pretty funny when several of us were trying to communicate with each other and moo kept replacing important words. I was even typing moo into my sentences hehe. I suppose that beast speech might be good if you want cows to talk clearly, I don't really care either way. It would be nice if a level 1 cow could milk a npc milk cow without feeling like a pervert. Though, if no changes were made I would still find cow form quite fun as a role-play opportunity.

GasaiYuno

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
GasaiYuno - we definitely want to address that, too. We've taken away a lot of the anonymity of typical MMOs -- this is one of the reason people remember the older MMOs fondly. There's no instanced dungeons, and the world populations are smaller (and more contained) which cuts down on the number of times you can be a **** to people without consequences. It's sort of a "small town" versus "big city" vibe. Not what everyone wants in an MMO, for sure... but it will appeal to some people a whole lot.

(There's the flip side of the coin, though, where "small town" can become "cliquish" and rude to newcomers... we're trying to put systems in place that make that less likely to happen, such as giving high-level people small rewards for helping newbies. We'll see how it works out!)
As just a user of anything like MMOs, forums, chatrooms, etc in general cliques are the one thing that make me leave. I feel unwelcome

scoboose

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
What was the fix? I noticed today that my cow form character still had the original quest. So.. is the quest updated or can we milk ourselves earlier now?
There is no change to the quest requirements or difficulty, but now you can complete the quest. Harry never let you complete the quest before.

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I -LOVE- the moo-ing. I was in the cave, working my way back and forth the guards and chatting with some guy in chat. I knew he was ahead of me cause I saw the fire icon and the numbers on my screen before I started fighting. Then the moo's started. You could tell he was getting frustrated with it and as he did, there was more moo's! Its a silly touch and I LOVES silly!!! AC had silly and I miss that!

T

tad100

It took me about 15-18 hours to get to level 23 and the ability to get milk. Would have been faster if I hadn't spent time gardening. It certainly helped that I got combat psychology off of Harry the Wolf, which i think is no longer possible.

Kreath

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
It took me about 15-18 hours to get to level 23 and the ability to get milk. Would have been faster if I hadn't spent time gardening. It certainly helped that I got combat psychology off of Harry the Wolf, which i think is no longer possible.
how did you get to 23 that fast? My cow is about 17 and it's dragging out while I hunt things with him.

T

tad100

Kill the undead (like near the crypt) seems to be the best combat skill XP. Much better than spiders or tigers.

Citan

VIP
Stratics Veteran
That explains why people aren't leveling as fast as expected, thanks! There were some copy-paste errors in monster XP amounts. They'll be fixed shortly!

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
That explains why people aren't leveling as fast as expected, thanks! There were some copy-paste errors in monster XP amounts. They'll be fixed shortly!
Lolin Cow level 9....still too low to survive the skellies. Is it intended to not see how strong a beast is when we click on them? I can see the sense in that if true. But just starting out, I have no way to know what beast to level with now. Also, does our cow XP count for anything once we are normal again?

Kreath

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Lolin Cow level 9....still too low to survive the skellies. Is it intended to not see how strong a beast is when we click on them? I can see the sense in that if true. But just starting out, I have no way to know what beast to level with now. Also, does our cow XP count for anything once we are normal again?
You will notice that each time you level there is some kind of bonus like health or power, these bonuses are permanent, so they are still helping you be stronger while not in cow form anymore.

Citan

VIP
Stratics Veteran
Actually Kreath that isn't true for Cow -- it's true for most skills like Death and Fishing, but not for "combat skills" -- the ones that can go in the bottom two bars of your screen. Those only give you bonuses while they're active! Which is incredibly not intuitive, I know... working on that!

However, leveling up cow does give you a few minor things. There are leather armors out there that give you extra protection if you have ranks in Cow. Actually I plugged those in this afternoon so they will show up tomorrow!

Luka - also you might want to pick up a second skill. If you leveled up Unarmed high enough to get Kick before you turned into a cow, you can still use the Unarmed Kick power, because it doesn't require any hands, just feet. And it's worth using Kick while fighting so that it levels up with you -- there is equipment (again, coming tomorrow!) that gives any kicks more power -- including cow kicks! -- but it usually has Unarmed skill requirements. You might also pick up Combat Psychology, which can be found in the newbie dungeon, or, for now, in a shop in the castle past the forest. If you mix that into your fighting rotation and level it up a bit, you'll have a mez and a terrify attack, plus another damage attack. It will definitely make it a lot easier to level as a cow. Plus, the equipment coming in tomorrow's build will sometimes randomly have cow-related powers.

There's no way to tell how powerful things are by looking though, nope. We probably need to attach that to a skill!

Last edited:

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Is cow form going to have skills and leveling up to cap? I think I enjoyed being a cow more than I enjoyed being an elf. And after all my sketching, you knew this was coming: Will they have visible armor?