• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Countering the Meta

S

Schwagbert

Hello, and welcome to my "I'm so ****ing sick of this ******* tanky dps meta" thread.
No but really. This meta is stale and boring now. At first it was sort of funny to watch an Annie try and burst down the new slew of tanky dps champions (especially before her buffs), but not anymore.

But that's why we're here.. to destroy this boring meta!
As we all know, -almost- every champion has its counters. But beyond that, every mechanic has its counters, and that's what I'll be discussing in this thread.

First - Champions
In this section, I'm simply going to list champions whose kit is a counter to the meta.

1) Urgot -
Why does Urgot counter the meta? Well. He actually bothers me to even talk about because of how strong his kit is. He was originally designed to be a ranged tank (no joke, I was around when he was announced and this is what Riot said about him), hence his natural tankiness, shield, ultimate, and short auto attack range. But somewhere along the line they decided he was better as a ranged AD, so his Q and E were tweaked to fit this..

But that still doesn't actually answer "Why?". Well. Here you go.

Passive: Zaun-Touched Bolt Augmenter --- Urgot's autoattacks and Acid Hunter reduce all damage that his target deals by 15% for 2.5 seconds.

W: Terror Capacitor --- . . . While the shield is active, Urgot's autoattacks and Acid Hunter missiles will slow targets for 1.5 seconds.

E: Noxian Corrosive Charge --- . . . afflicting all targets hit. Enemies afflicted by the charge have their armor reduced by a percentage for 5 seconds . . .

That's right, folks.. Urgot has the ability to reduce damage you do, slow you, and an AoE 20% armor reduction. On a ranged carry.

2) Vayne -
Why does Vayne counter the meta? Well, actually she only counters it in one way. Her W, when maxed, does 60 + 8% of targets -MAXIMUM- health in -TRUE- damage. This means no matter how tanky the enemy is, they only have one "counter" to you... Frozen Heart. Frozen Heart's reduced attack speed debuff is the only counter to Vayne there is. You cannot build armor to defend against her attacks (Well, you can, but not against her W's proc). If you build life, you're actually making her stronger. The only way to stop her is to hard CC her and/or debuff her attack speed.

Extra little note... I say that hard CC/Frozen Heart are her only counters, but there are other ways of debuffing attack speed (Nasus's Wither, Ezreal's Essence Flux, etc)

3) Kog'Maw -
Why does Kog'Maw counter the meta? Well, he's broken (overpowered) as all ****, but, actually Riot stated that this champion was designed to be a tank killer. Well. Good job, Riot.. He surely does kill tanks (and everyone else, hue hue hue).

But that still doesn't actually answer "Why?". Well. Here you go.

Q: Caustic Spittle --- Kog'Maw launches a corrosive projectile at a single target which deals magic damage and reduces its armor and magic resist for 4 seconds.

30% increased attack speed, 25 armor + mr reduction at max rank

W: Bio-Arcane Barrage --- For 8 seconds, Kog'Maw's autoattacks gain range (210) and deal additional magic damage which is equal to a percentage of the target's max health (6%).

So Kog'Maw has ridiculous range (710 with W on) on his auto attacks, reduces his target's armor and mr by 25 (that's more than a cloth armor, and a null-magic mantle that you're ignoring), and does -extra, magic- damage based on target's -maximum- life. That means you have to build 2 sets of resistance if Kog'Maw builds AD (this is because the W doesn't convert his damage to magic, but adds magic).

4) Kayle -
Why does Kayle counter the meta? Like Vayne, she only actually counters the meta in 1 way. That way is her passive.

Passive: Holy Fervor --- Kayle's autoattacks against enemy champions reduces their armor and magic resistance by 3% for 5 seconds. This debuff stacks up to 5 times.

If you combine this with her E (Makes her ranged with 525 range, and adds splash damage), you have the potential to reduce the enemy team's armor and mr by 15%. If you're courageous enough to brave the trolls of LoL, you can make yourself a defense shredding machine and build Black Cleaver and Malady, which will make any target of yours considerably less tanky.

5) Varus -
Why does Varus counter the meta? Well, there's a couple of reasons. I won't be listing it below, but Varus's range and scaling on Q is both extremely reminiscent of the poke meta, and means that he can stand out of range of most gap closers, which sort of is a "soft" counter to tanky dps who have all been given gap closers in an attempt to make their melee status viable. Anyway, the following two skills are the main reasons he counters the meta.

W: Blighted Quiver --- Varus's other abilities detonate Blight, dealing magic damage equal to a percentage (5%) of the target's maximum health per stack.

E: Hail of Arrows --- Desecrated Ground reduces healing effects by 50% and slows enemy movement speed.

Varus has the increasingly common mechanic of percentage damage based on max life (although his is less effective than Kog'Maw's or Vayne's). That doesn't really need to be discussed as we've discussed this mechanic twice already.

However, Varus's E is a counter to a new meta that has crept upon us -- the Summoner Heal meta. Summoner Heal use to be considered trash and you would be trolled for picking it past summoner level 8 or so, but now ranged AD carries in bot lane run Flash + Heal, and sometimes even the support will take Heal. Varus's E reduces the effect by 50% in an AoE, that has a slow built in it. This makes his combo truly devastating as you can auto the enemy 3 times, E for the healing reduction, ult so they can't escape the healing reduction, auto 3 more times, and Q them as they try to Flash to safety.

6) Trundle -
Why does Trundle counter the meta? Well, much like Urgot I really am not comfortable saying he counters the meta, because he is part of the meta. Trundle is a tanky dps, that counters tanky dps. It's annoying for this discussion because I'm recommending the meta, to counter the meta..

Passive: Decompose --- Whenever an enemy unit near Trundle dies, he heals for 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6% of their maximum health.

Q: Rabid Bite --- . . . This attack increases Trundle's attack damage for 8 seconds, with his opponent losing half of this amount for the same duration.

R: Agony --- Trundle immediately steals health (by dealing magic damage) and a percentage of their armor and magic resistance from his target. Over the next 6 seconds the amount of health, armor, and magic resistance stolen is doubled.

That's right, folks.. Trundle both increases his own AD, and steals AD from his enemy on a spammable CD (4s base). But wait, there's more! In addition to buffing his offense, Trundle's ultimate steals 25% of the target's armor and MR, which then doubles over the next 6 seconds. Oh yeah, the ultimate also steals health and doubles that, too. That means you don't even have to actually build tanky, as long as the enemy has a tank. It also means that the enemy tank just went from 250 armor and MR to 125.

Alright, that basically wraps this section up. If I've missed a champion, or you think a champion should be added, feel free to let me know! I'll edit them in if they fit, and if I think they don't, I'll let you know why I disagree, but still edit in a disclaimer suggesting that they might.

S

Schwagbert

I guess I should reserve this spot for the rest of the "original post"... Not that there's much left, but I don't wanna run out of room in the first post. :p