• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Could Someone please ask a question for me a townhall?

Lord Bishop

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the value to both the game and myself of having to spend 3+ minutes to open a single miasma chest at 100 lockpicking. Is it just me or does anyone else hate unlocking these suckers. Sheeeeh Frustrating. :)
:gun:
:sad4:

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it takes you 3+ minutes, perhaps you're doing it wrong? :)

( although I agree that it would be nice to have max skill reduce the fail-fail-fail-finally! style of action in lock picking, cartography, smelting, etc ... alas, I won't be there to ask for you )

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They can be annoying, but I've seen the following issues with chests, that I'd like to see brought up, and addressed.

1. As you point out - some level 5 & 6 chests take 1 pick to open; more ofen it takes 3-8 picks and about 10 attempts. On rare occasions, I've taken over 100 attempts, breaking 50 or more picks, on a single chest. Since ONLY 100.0 lockpicking skill can open these, could we at least have an "attempt counter" on the level 5 & 6 chests, so that if, say, 20 attempts fail, the 21st attempt automatically succeeds, provided that we don't switch chests during the process? (would only apply to the 100.0 skill to pick chests, when being picked by a character that is already Grandmaster, as to not interfere with skill training)

2. Any insight as to the cause of the "killer level 2 chests"? There is a bug that occurs with Expertly (level 2) map chests, and the paragon chests that contain the level 2 maps. About 5% of the time, one of these chests will go off with a trap several times greater than even a level 6 chest. I personally, with all-70s armor, have taken over 150 points damage on several occasions from a level 2 chest - I've never taken more than 105, with the same armor, from a level 5 or 6, and it is rare that any other chest does more than 80.

E

El Phantasmo

I agree with this 100%. Being one of, if not most of the time, the only GM lockpicker in the guild, I open the vast majoirty of the chests for the guild. I just dread when a guildie or alliance guildie asks for some locks to be picked. I just know I will recall to their house and see 20 Miasma, Balron, Dark Wisp, etc. chests all lined up.

If asking for a 120 in this skill is too much, at very least give us a talisman with lockpicking on it to give us that bump. Please!!!!!:please::please:

B

BartofCats

ahhh the joy of a 120 skill system... gotta love it. I personally dont find a problem with breaking a few picks to open a chest. It gives my tinker something to do, and my picker something to do as well.

There should however be a little bonus for being a GM in picking tho... such as a 2% or a touch higher chance of being more successful. that would work for me.

S

Sir Stain

What is the value to both the game and myself of having to spend 3+ minutes to open a single miasma chest at 100 lockpicking. Is it just me or does anyone else hate unlocking these suckers. Sheeeeh Frustrating. :)
:gun:
:sad4:
I agree with you! Sir Stain is my thief cart. lockpicking char. I can break as many as 30 picks on these chest. I am and always have been against the 120 system. GM means GRANDMASTER. It is just what the words imply. That should be as high as any skill goes. Ten of my playmates on this game quit when it was started. The 120 powerscroles are too hard to get and when u get them, the skills are too hard to make legendary. By the time I get legendary I am tired of playing. Burn out! I hardly have enough skill room now as it is.