• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Congratulations to 13 year Veterans!!

C

Coppelia

UO devs, and not only this team, have always been particulary efficient to add halves of features and never complete them. There's lots of things in UO after those 13 years, but you have to be very tolerant on the quality of implementation.

They start something, don't finish it and go to the next thing. So of course, with a veteran reward system so stupid that they have to throw new things in it each year, you end up with content made in 5 minutes to do something else they prefer. After the ridable bear that probably came from a very late brainstorming between coffee, an idiot talking about WoW epic mounts and P.Pullman books, someone had the incredible idea to use the new bears of SA to do the exact same thing.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not think that something that a fresh brand new player can get in the game should be even remotely comparable to a Reward to the loyalty for an account that has been kept as active for so many years. If this happened, I would see this as a slap in the face of the Veteran and a hint that being loyal to the game, over the years, is not valued much when anyone can pretty much get the same thing or even something better just by paying 1 month of subscription.....
Whatever happened to the popps that always stood on the side of new players, who championed the causes where he says never should new players be denied advantages that veteran players had?

What happened to fairness, balance and closing the gaps between the haves and have nots?

Consider your arguments of asking for a summonable mount that performs better than any summonable mount that new players won't be able to get for 13 years. Because you are asking for something you have fought against.

Not everything can be as simple as either black or white.

As I see it, the number one most important goal is ensuring revenues to Ultima Online.
If there are revenues, the game can have support and new content added and the more the better.

This said, what is necessary is focus on what brings revenues.

Fixing bugs, making better graphics, good storyline, content and also a good and well assorted Veteran Reward program with appealing rewards for all years of existance of UO.

Now, this said, I have never much favoured to see mounts as valid options for Veteran Rewards especially, when we already have a great number of them. It was about time to have more variety and creativity rather than yet again another mount.

Personally, and I said it, I would have for example favoured an item search tool as a 13th Year Veteran Reward. Claimable by only 13th Year accounts but usable by all.
Such a tool would have allowed holding players to search for any given tool within all characters, houses and bank boxes of that account on a given shard. Do not remember where the 120 Magery Scroll was stored ? Fire up the search tool and in no time it will tell in which backpack, secure, bank box or character main it is.

But we got another mount, instead......
At that point, since we are talking about no trivial Reward, but a 13th Year one, I would have imagined that simply another mount was not enough to make it as a worthy pick and that is why I thought something should have been added to it, some bonus.

Remember, the goal is help the game get more Revenues.....

If the 13th Year Vet Reward has enough goodies (and I do not think eye candy is enough to make it really an appealing and wanted reward...), chances are that, together with other issues but contributing to the goal, some 12th and perhaps even 11th Year veterans "might" be convinced to maintain their account as active even if unsure whether or not to keep them as active so to finally be able to lay their hands also on that so much wanted 13th Year Veteran Reward.

This, would help ensure more resources for the game.

The key is creating Rewards that players will want to have, not items that players are pretty much cold about. Besides, eventually over time any and all players will get to have enough account active time to qualify to get those rewards. So, they are intended for everyone to have only, depending on their account active time.

That's at least as I see it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So... the rewards now have hit Origin and you have all had the opportunity to see that the boura mount has no special abilities or enhancement to help the player. I will admit that the mount looks nice, but not 13 year vet nice. Oh... and yes it was the only reward.

What is most incredible, is why on earth did they ever even call it "armored" when, from what I read, it brings no defense bonus whatsoever.

It is plain and simple eye candy. That's it.

This is not enough, IMHO, for the top of the line Veteran Reward and when we are talking of 13 long years of continued support and loyalty from a customer to a product.

Last Year Veteran Reward choice was by far a more brilliant creation, IMHO. Usefull, handy, very much appealing and wanted by players and yet, not unbalancing at all.

I was expecting for 13th year some brilliant creation like the teleporter tiles were for last year.

Instead, we got yet again another useless mount.......

Oh well.......

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow!! How lucky are you guys to be the proud owners of an Armored Boura. After seeing this reward I did a few calculations and this is what I came up with:

Released Sept 1997 - $9.95/Monthly
Subscription raised June 2003 - $12.95/Monthly

This is a rough figure because some things can vary the cost (ie... paying 6 months for cheaper rate or monthly billing which costs more), but you have paid "roughly" $1,852.05 in subscription fees alone. This doesn't include each expansion you have purchased with the company over the years or take into account if you are loyal enough to have multiple accounts.

So $1,852.05 = Armored Boura!!! I clearly have put more thought into this than the developers, because anyone/everyone at EA should 1) See that a 13 year veteran is a seriously loyal customer 2) see that a 13 year veteran has helped this game to survive as long as it has 3) see that this is a slap in the face.

Mounts in the game are already plentiful. They didn't come up with something new. It is a creature already in the game so all they did are some small modifications with very little thought / effort on their part.

Hey ... let's give other players a rare drop on merchant ships! Great idea... what should it be. I know!!! A dye tub... **intern raises hand** don't we already have a lot of those in game? Shut up "intern" what do you know! Again... not real thought / effort.

I am sure there is a developer reading this and yelling "these people don't appreciate anything". Well...you would be wrong! You probably are yelling that we sound like a broken record and that might partly be true. But... to finally drive my point home I will now show you a broken record.

Year after Year:

Mounts and more mounts... more xmas trees... every holiday (candy...cards)... pumpkins and more pumpkins... dye tubs and more dye tubs... bug after bug... Statues and you guessed it... more statues!! Do you see the pattern here DEVS? Very little thought... Very little effort!!
TO be fair.................

but you have paid "roughly" $1,852.05 in subscription fees alone.

thats a pretty cheap pastime for over 13 years play...:lick::lick:

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"I think they should give us a second house, even though this would reduce the number of accounts we need and go directly against their business interests!"

"I think this should be the first vet reward to directly make you more powerful!"

God you people are bad at this.

D

Deb

As a 13 year vet, I think the baby bouras are precious looking. I will
definitely have one especially since they have a saddle.

lankdogg03

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive seen alot of people here complaining about how they don't like the new mount. Sure it's just another mount, but I'm not going to complain about it. Why? Well for one I will never have an account that's 13 years old. I enjoy UO as much as the next guy but my account is only going on 6 years old. If I were still playing my original account it would be about ten years old. Let's be honest UO only has so much time left and most people will never even make it to 13 years old. Surely all the people who have been complaining do not have accounts old enough to even claim the boura. Take the reward or don't. Stop hoarding your picks and just choose something and enjoy it while you still can.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive seen alot of people here complaining about how they don't like the new mount. Sure it's just another mount, but I'm not going to complain about it. Why? Well for one I will never have an account that's 13 years old. I enjoy UO as much as the next guy but my account is only going on 6 years old. If I were still playing my original account it would be about ten years old. Let's be honest UO only has so much time left and most people will never even make it to 13 years old. Surely all the people who have been complaining do not have accounts old enough to even claim the boura. Take the reward or don't. Stop hoarding your picks and just choose something and enjoy it while you still can.

So much time left ?

When Ultima Online was reeased in 1997, many people did not give it even a year of life. It recently celebrated its 13th birthday........

lankdogg03

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did not say it only had a little time left popps. Personally I'd like to see UO be around for a long time to come. We've all heard the story of how they expected UO to last maybe 8 months and it is still here today. The fact is though popps people quit every day and new subscribers don't come in every day. The player base can only shrink so low before the game no longer makes money. The point I was making was that the game won't be around long enough for me to ever see a 13th year vet reward and the same is true for many other people.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Must say that I am disappointed that it has no function. I also think it looks terrible myself. If it wasn't all bled over white it might look ok, but as it is, I probably wont pick one unless I am bored and want something silly to run around on when my 13 year comes around early next year.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did not say it only had a little time left popps. Personally I'd like to see UO be around for a long time to come. We've all heard the story of how they expected UO to last maybe 8 months and it is still here today. The fact is though popps people quit every day and new subscribers don't come in every day. The player base can only shrink so low before the game no longer makes money. The point I was making was that the game won't be around long enough for me to ever see a 13th year vet reward and the same is true for many other people.
I think the addiction factor is the main reason UO is still here today. Yes, people probably quit everyday, but almost always they inevitably come back. Rarely do you come across someone that quit UO and never touched the game again. As long as this keeps up, who knows how long UO will be here?