• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Confused about finding chest locations

E

elspeth

So, I've just recently come back from many years not playing and I heard that there were a lot of changes to treasure hunting.

What I'm still confused about is finding the chests. I read a few posts that make it sound like the spots are now randomly generated somehow and so rune libraries can no longer be used but other posts make it sound like rune libraries and UOAM treasure.map type files should still work. Which is it?

Also, are the ornithologist's maps from turkeys found in the same way? thanks!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Treasure map locations are randomly generated, there is more information here: UO Stratics *New* | Treasure Map Quests

While rune libraries can no longer take you to the exact spot, they are still very helpful for getting you into the right general area

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The ornithologists maps are in set locations, but not the old T-map ones.

They are much easier to find than T-maps, as if you get in the general area, it will start giving you clues as to the distance from the next (but not the direction.

The Ornithologist maps are what they SHOULD have done with the random T-map locations, not the crap that results in having to lose 90 or so points of your template to be able to find a map. The T-map system takes me, even with 100 mining, anywhere from 5-20 minutes to find each map, and the spots for me seem to be as much as 2 screens off from the area that the pin would indicate (at any point along the pin)

Z

Zannette

Solution is very simple. Pinco's UI!!!!

Scale the size of the T-Map to match the size of the tactical map. I am thinking of dropping mining completely from my T-Hunter as I am usually standing on the chest when I start digging.

I made rune books with all the general areas for random T-Maps and it usually takes me 2 min to find and dig up the chest

Good luck hunting,
Z

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Zannette - my 5-20 minutes IS with using Pinco's UI in EC, or using UO Cart in CC.

I'm getting a good 10-20 step offset from ANY point along the pin, for the actual cest location (5-15 once you add in mining).

The only map to take me less than 5 minutes was a level 7 in the Valor Champ spawn of Ilshenar, and I found it on the second dig without using anything other than the CC overhead map (and I was just goofing around waiting for my hunting party to arrive - they got ambushed by one of the paragon Greater Dragons that occasionally spawn in the champ zone as part of the area's natural inhabitants - in fact, the spawn running at the time was arachnid)

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is also something that mining also gives as a bonus. You can see where a chest will start to rise. Moving stops the dig. Having high mining lets you get a distance away to do the dig giving you the Three Steps factor instead of being at ground zero

Z

Zannette

Hi guys,
Basara, I am not sure why are you getting such a large offset. I remember that the old pin on the T-map was off quite a bit as the chest would actually be under the red part of the pin instead of where the pin hits the map but new Pinco's UI has an X exactly where the chest is.
If you use large maps you can usually find the spot within 2 min.

I currently do run 66 mining but I am seriously considering dropping it as i will be able to run Mystic/Discord with some nice Jewellery which will enable me even faster turnaround of maps. This however will have to wait until i can afford the Crystalline Ring.

I don't like using soulstones or alternate characters mid-hunt so i want to squeeze out everything I can out of the template.

Z.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use a straight edge on my screen on the treasure map and look for identifying objects near by then compare to the uo cart map. If there are no identifying objects I place them in a separate pile and wait for them to reset. If they are near the edge of a land mass or a road I will on occasion find them on the first attempt with no mining. In some areas with uneven ground I won't find them even if I go back and stone on 100 mining and plus 5 mining gloves.

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It never takes me more than a minute or two, and here's what I do.

I find the general area, and set up a UOAssist macro, use jacob's pickaxe, target map (reset this for each time you dig a new map), target relative location.

Then I walk around the area a couple steps at a time and hit the macro. if the line I'm following doesn't yield results, I step over two or so steps and run the line again