• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Community Warning for Ultima Online Credit Card Subscribers.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If you subscribe to UO with a credit card, you may want to make sure you updated your credit card information with the new "Chip Reading" credit cards, since most financial institutions are prematurely canceling "Striped Cards". This happened to me, and I thought nothing of it, because I use game time codes. However a good friend of mine almost lost his entire castle of rares because he didn't realize his credit card was cancelled, because it was a striped card. I know mine was cancelled about 6 weeks ago even though it expired 7/2020.

I apologize if this was already mentioned, but its important to bring to everyone's attention again. They almost lost everything they owned in UO, and I really hope this hasn't and doesn't happen to anyone else. I am emailing Mesanna about this today as well. It should be in the newsletter at least.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Should he not have gotten an email warning that his account was in default? That concerns me greatly.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about that. But you never know. Perhaps not a bad idea to make at least a weekly tour of homes.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Should he not have gotten an email warning that his account was in default? That concerns me greatly.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about that. But you never know. Perhaps not a bad idea to make at least a weekly tour of homes.
He did get a notification that his account went inactive, but since he hasn't played in almost a year due to real life issues, he didn't even notice the email. Its a personal email, and he does most of his emailing through a work email.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He did get a notification that his account went inactive, but since he hasn't played in almost a year due to real life issues, he didn't even notice the email. Its a personal email, and he does most of his emailing through a work email.
So he was just keeping the account open and thought it would be charge as needed without any input from him. So he had no reason to monitor it. I have also done that.

My bank sent new cards when they decided to use the chip, so I knew I had to check everything.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wow, that would be such a horrible way to lose everything. This is why people should monitor their accounts even when they aren't playing, so many things can go wrong through no fault of your own.

I'm glad my card was due to expire a few weeks ago anyway so I had to update it either way.

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess the lesson is to always check your uo/associated email from time to time just in case. Thanks for the heads up though:)

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, the inactive emails still work. Just got mine a couple weeks ago, trying to decide whether I should bother buying gametime yet or not.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My bank replaced ALL strip-only cards with chip cards proactively around 3 years ago. Which was impressive, as in my case they were replacing a card that had been replaced 3-6 months prior due to expiration date.

Sounds to me like some banks were dragging their asses and trying to replace cards by expiration dates right up to the deadline, rather than making an effort to get customers updated regardless of the short-term cost.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
We only just got new chip cards last year... Banks around here are a bit slow... but fortunately, I knew it was happening and did go in and update my accounts.

I know some folk who play the 90-day roulette and they really have to pay attention because anytime the housing servers go down it can affect those accounts... a friend of mine who was going to college at the time lost a lot due to that... I try to check his houses regularly but I can't always be around to do that.