• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Community News] UOForums Interviews Sean from The Syndicate

watchertoo

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have received this from our friends at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.uoforums.com>UOFroums.com</a>:</p> <blockquote>

<font size=+1>UOForums Interviews Sean from The Syndicate</font>

Sean from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.llts.org/index.php> The Syndicate</a> was kind enough to agree to our interview and answer our users’ questions.

<font color=darkred>1. What has made The Syndicate® so successful that they have been around for so long?</font>

The short answer to that question is: read the book (Legend of The Syndicate from AvariPress.com or uoforums.com for example. So we were able to make rookie mistakes and survive them because there was no one to step in and offer to do things 'right' when we were doing them wrong (like having poor recruiting standards). Fortunately, we made a commitment early on to learn from our mistakes and not repeat them. So because of that we matured into a very successful, very organized, extremely low turnover, highly unified guild. But we did have our bumps along the way, especially at the start, that are common "killers" of guilds. So one of the reasons we published Legend of The Syndicate was to share the mistakes we made and how we overcame them which in turn may help other guilds, that use a similar structure to ours, avoid the same pitfalls.

<font color=darkred>2. Does The Syndicate® have any plans to move to other major online games besides UO & WoW?</font>

The Syndicate has a presence in just about every game out there. We beta tested just about everything out there. We consulted on a number of games that are popular today. And our members play just about everything. But... we only recruit for WoW and for UO. We have no plans to widen recruiting to other games in the near future. We will, at some point, have several hundred members playing some other major game and we will recruit for it. Since we recruit based on who are good friends with, we only tend to add new members when we have a substantial presence in a game that we can develop those friendships with a large number of members.

<font color=darkred>3. Is there a "high" limit to membership and how does membership application work? </font>

While we have no firm upper size limit per-se, we do try to maintain the guild at roughly the size it is now. Of course, a couple years back I would have said we were trying to maintain the guild at roughly 500 members and then 550 and now 600. The reality is that our overall size does creep up over time. The reason for that is that we ONLY (no exceptions) recruit people we are friends with. We ONLY recruit people with the same values, play styles and gaming goals as ours. We ONLY recruit people with a desire to be a member for the long term that have a personality that is compatible with those already in the guild. In short, we recruit like minded people that we are friends with. By having that focus, we have virtually no turnover. We lose about one person every two months to quitting for another guild or unhappy with some rule. Conversely we receive more than 4,000 applications to join each year. We actually lose more members due to needing to leave online gaming entirely (for work, health, parental or spouse related issues) than we do from any other reason. We have virtually no drama and no infighting and no backstabbing etc.. within the guild. So by having that recruiting focus, we do reject a massive amount of applications but we create a very stable guild that stands the test of time. It also means we only grow very slowly over time so while there isn't an upper limit to the size, there is pressure to only add in the exact right people for our team.

The rest of our interview can be found in this thread at- <a target="_blank" href=http://www.uoforums.com/showthread.php?t=39833>UOForums.com</a> </blockquote>

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

We have been around since 1996 but if we were to found our guild today and make the mistakes we made back in the first couple of years, we wouldn't last as a guild. We made a number of mistakes that we survived because of the nature of the 'perfect storm' that existed back then. The gaming world was nothing like it is today. Expectations were different. Technology was different. People were lucky to have 32.2kbps modems and websites were few and far between and forums even more so. There was no site like uoforums.com for example. So we were able to make rookie mistakes and survive them because there was no one to step in and offer to do things 'right' when we were doing them wrong (like having poor recruiting standards).

[/ QUOTE ]

I found that interesting...particularly the Bolded Part. I wonder if the principle of Rookie Mistakes being "allowable", because of no competition, could translate to other areas of MMORPGs. To me, it would seem to...but who knows...

Very interesting, indeed.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

What's interesting about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that being new to the game/markey/industry, allowed them to make pretty big errors that would surely cause them to fail today...you know...the part I bolded...etc. etc.

You may or may not find it interesting...I did.

No harm no foul.

S

Sethblackmoore

I'm not one to nit pick something or someone apart BUT a few things popped up in my head. First he said they only recruit folks they are friends with, no exceptions! Then why are they throwing books down on every shard like they will let ANYONE in? And second, how can ANY one guild not have drama? Its a fact of life that folks will disagree and people will have different personalities types. In turn they will cause drama. Maybe since they have been around since 96 they know best how to deal with it. It sounds like puffed up statistics since he is the guild leader. But just my opinion.

K

Kegraf_Jemane

I fail to see why you would bother reading the interview if it irritates you so much...........

G

The things I find interesting, is that:

1. Recruiting. What is said and what is actually done is contradicting. The constant spamming of those books is making me ill. I've gotten a decent number of turn in points from them.

2. Their claim to be the end all, be of of MMO guilds. There have been guilds since back int he MUD's, that are still active today. There are other MMO guilds (that have been around as long, if not longer) that have get togethers. To make it sound like they are the only ones (or even the first), just shows how out of touch the people making those claims are.

3. Evertime I've had to deal with a LLTS person, they have been less than respectful, or down right rude. Example, just lastweek, I was getting keys for dreadhorn, and I had 4 keys. We did 2 runs, and on the 3rd, I noticed LLTS getting keys, I asked 'How many keys do you have? Do you want to swap runs? Or if you just have one, go ahead and take it'. No response or anything. Knowing how LLTS never takes anyone else on their peerless runs, I thought I was being pretty nice, considering that i could have just taken all my runs in a row.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a "high" limit to membership and how does membership application work?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simple, litter the ground with books of arrogance, no?

Quite honestly, not too impressed with pc gaming fame and fortune, seems kinda nerdy and dorky.