• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Community News] BNN: Blackrock Detector Fails! Mages Reported Missing!

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Posted to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.uoherald.com/news/>uoherald.com:</a><blockquote><span class=osi></p><center>
</center>
<font size=+1>BNN: Blackrock Detector Fails! Mages Reported Missing!</br></font> <font size=-1>Jeremy Dalberg </font>
26 Oct 2007 12:38:43 EST

Blackrock Detector Fails! Mages Reported Missing!</p>

Draconi Apr 2 2008 8:24AM</p>

Events took a terrifying turn in Moonglow this weekend as Kronos, Director of Alchemical Studies, turned on his blackrock detecting machine for the second, and apparently, very last time. Witnesses reported a keening, rushing sound enveloping the crowd amidst magical flares, when suddenly those standing closest to the machine disappeared in a flare of light!</p>

The remaining onlookers had only a moment’s warning before an explosion ripped through the machine itself, leaving a gaping hole where hundreds had gathered just seconds before. Our own reporter vanished in the initial chaos, leaving the BNN with little to go on for hours as a much more apprehensive crowd began gathering around the smoldering crater.</p>

Their wait wasn’t in vain, however, when after a while a moongate, as dark as night, opened at the base of the crater. Frenzied survivors began pouring out of the portal; screams for healers and aid rang up over the ridges as they clambered up the sides. Against all reason more jumped back into the darkness, but the BNN was already confirming details on what lay beyond with our own correspondent.</p>

We know for certain that the place beyond the rift resembles our own Moonglow, yet is infested with hordes of demonic entities. We also know that one or more of the mages working on the project, Kronos, Melissa, and Dexter, were killed within. The others, if any survive, are missing. </p>

The rift apparently leads not to a “place” so much as a “when.” The local mages are struggling to explain this phenomenon, but claim that the rift is bound to the failure of the experiment the previous day, and has captured some slice of time in which the good people of Moonglow were trapped.</p>

The BNN is also attempting to corroborate reports that some sort of battle took place within the so-called “timerift” between the Time Lord, and other beings of extraordinary power. We’ve also received word that the military is sending reinforcements to secure the perimeter of the gate.</p>

We urge our readers to be wary of the rift, and not enter it under any circumstances! </p>

F

Fayled Dhreams

Early notes eh ^^
cool

now about them "black puffs" ... from the critters that die "in the zone" ...
seen 'em waft up ... then zip ! ... "into" some nearby character ...
hmmm

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"We urge our readers to be wary of the rift, and not enter it under any circumstances! "

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure....

K

Kratos Aurion

<blockquote><hr>

We also know that one or more of the mages working on the project, Kronos, Melissa, and Dexter, were killed within.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh snap

G

Ohshi- ok

Fair enough, thanks for the warning, i'm not going in

G

<blockquote><hr>

We urge our readers to be wary of the rift, and not enter it under any circumstances!

[/ QUOTE ]

*watches as readers trample reporter in instant stampede into the rift*

-Skylark

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
lol thats exactly what I did :)

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe NPC guards are comming to close off access to the gate. (speculating) Maybe the monsters will break through to the real Moonglow? Why isnt the gate a 2-way gate for the monsters too? (/speculating)

G

Trying to close the gate would seem like the logical goal ... but I guess there's less loot that way

I don't suppose we could have the "detector failure" play out in a loop on TC (if it isn't already - I didn't actually check) so that those of us who lagged to death moments after it blew can possibly see the rest of the dialog script play out. (aside: it was rather cool watching row-after-row of people vanishing from the screen as the rift wave washed over the crowd ... only problem was that I tried to run away rather than waiting to see what happened which turned out to be a fatal error)

G

<blockquote><hr>

The rift apparently leads not to a “place” so much as a “when.”

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh, the days of yesteryear...precasting, anyone?

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Early notes eh ^^
cool

now about them "black puffs" ... from the critters that die "in the zone" ...
seen 'em waft up ... then zip ! ... "into" some nearby character ...
hmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

You noticed that too? I was wondering what that was all about

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

... I also noticed that my "looter" (non-combatant trash picker) DIDN'T attract any ...
and

might just be a "graphics glitch" but most noticably on the fetid essences ...during combat
kinda sorta looks like they're drawing little teeny-tiny wiffs of darkness in ...

hummph !

G

I noticed the black puffs aswell, i thought it was some sorta area dmg thing like with lady mel. and also the dark wisps have some sort of weird aura around them alternates between black red and yellow

G

That aura is normal, the ones in the Wisp Dungeon have it too. I think it's a force field that alters their vulnerabilites.. a bit like Exodus Overseers used to have.. but I haven't determined exactly what it does yet as it doesn't seem to matter much.

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when they would have that sheild up,, you couldnt hit them, but i heard having blackrock on you, basicly by passed that sheild....who knows

T

TirNaNog

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

... I also noticed that my "looter" (non-combatant trash picker) DIDN'T attract any ...
and

might just be a "graphics glitch" but most noticably on the fetid essences ...during combat
kinda sorta looks like they're drawing little teeny-tiny wiffs of darkness in ...

hummph !

[/ QUOTE ]

The wiffs of darkness coming from the fallen warriors seem to be associated somehow either with the top damager, first damager, or the person who gets the Planesword in their instanced corpse. From talking to people, I'm leaning towards the last one.

G

I have seen the puffs go to players sometimes now that you all have mentioned it. I haven't seen it but has anyone seen if maybe pets are getting them as well? I'm just speculating. What with all the action of people sometimes it's hard to follow exactly to whom the puff goes to.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Most of the time I get the puff, I dont' get the item, and vice-versa. And, there have been a number of times where I got 1 hit in, and got the smoke, or did most ofthe damage and didn't get it.

I think it's either first damager or last damager, or just random among the damagers.

G

Nah, it can't be tied to damage, I've gotten them from monsters i haven't even attacked

G

People are now
when the puff goes to them. Kind of freaking me out.
Seems a little ominous, I'm not sure if getting the puff is a good thing.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe the black puff is based on who attended the event the first night with blackrock?

S

sweetwhisper

Wexton is in the Lyceum and replies to certain keywords such as Kronos and black rock

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes..ignore the puff..pay no attn to the puff..the puff is not real
get away from my puff's