• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Commander/ Rank 6+?? how.....

S

SilentFoxXy

As an full post following on from my displeasure at a total newbie member is able to be commander like over night with NO pks, not kills of FAM , hell not even a theft, and he is suddenly Commander.

Yet I have been in TB for 18mths, I have 7pks, I have killed thousands of FAM (Faction Allied Monsters).

I have stolen sigils fro every city, every faction base, I have 'Captured' every city over 15 times , each and every one of them.

But, Im still at level 5, cant vote, cant do anything, whilst newbie shows up, does squat and is Commander

Not just once, Ive seen 5 different commanders come and go, the bank sitters, the posers, the hard nosed pvpers, the nice, the ugly, but above all, NEW players who had done sod all!!

How guys?? please, what do I have to do to get able to vote, and stand for commander

It stinks, this current guy has no idea what he's done, 100% tithe, 300% vendor mark up......

Id like to know how I can raise my rank and how I can run??

Thanks

CatT :)

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know the feeling! I have been in factions for months with one of my characters and she is stuck at 1.

My thief is 10 rank but she steals the sigils and the whole nine yards. I honestly think that some characters are bugged and others not.

B

Barbosa

You got killed too much and or your glitched out. Try leaving factions and re-entering them.

G

Googly

There is a way to bug your rank so that its higher than it should be. I don't believe it will lock at a lower rank than you should be, however. It should still raise if you're deserving.

Stealing and monsters wont do anything. Its your kill points (and to a lesser degree, your time in the faction) compared to the average of your faction that determines your rank.

S

SilentFoxXy

I guess it must be a bug hun tbh, I have 7+ pk faction kills, played 18 mths, stuck level 5. I have pals who have joined, killed one dark wisp and are level 10s....;)

Guy come in, swans round Tram Brit for a day, no killing no nothing, and is suddenly rank 10/11 and eligable for faction commander.

Ah well, maybe itll get fixed

CatT :)

A

Aia

Found out the other day my tinker could run for office and is rank 8 - with no kill points. Perhaps he gets rank when his traps kill people? Or is it possible that crafting characters get a rank boost?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure if these will help or not, but the official UO site's Knowledgebase has a couple of Q&A articles related to factions that you should read.

Here's the one about how faction CL's are elected: http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=528.

Faction kill points Q&A: http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=120.

The Knowledgebase doesn't seem to have any articles about faction ranks, but the official Playguide does: http://guide.uo.com/factions_3.html.

Rank for a particular character is supposedly based on how that character's kill points compare to the overall total for the faction on a specific shard. I have no idea which characters get rolled into that calculation (e.g., are characters that haven't been logged on in six months but still had kill points at their last log-in included) and whether the calculation takes place before or after kill point atrophy for the day is considered. (Would make sense to do it after the atrophy occurs, but who knows if it does.) Also, is kill point atrophy happening correctly? It's only supposed to happen to characters with at least 10 kill points, but I'm 99.9% certain it affects characters with fewer kill points.

Also, "crafters" in factions are supposed to be able to use the faction stone to declare themselves crafters/merchants. I have never done it myself, but know others who have experimented with it. One of the advantages to doing it, if it is working correctly, is being able to ride a war horse without necessarily having rank from kill points. Is it possible that it's buggy and characters that have declared themselves as crafters/merchants get some kind of automatic rank? I have no idea.

Foxxy, what's probably most likely to have happened in your situation is that the character that became CL probably killed off a bunch of junk characters that were stuffed in another faction and then ran for election. Did you check that character's kill point total on the faction pages on the www.uo.com website?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Found out the other day my tinker could run for office and is rank 8 - with no kill points. Perhaps he gets rank when his traps kill people? Or is it possible that crafting characters get a rank boost?
If your crafter has never died since joining factions, she should have 0 kill points and 0 deficit points. Any other characters in your faction who have deficit points because they died a lot and haven't been able to climb out of the deficit point "hole" by getting kill points would end up being ranked lower than your crafter. Any characters who actually have kill points will of course be ranked the same or higher than your crafter.

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina, Grace she is my thief, trap remover and detect hidden gal, she never kills anyone just enough magery to heal or recall. She is ranked 10 and has be CL of SL before.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With a name like Grace O'Malley, is it possible she is part leprechaun and living a charmed life?

;)

[leprechaun: - A mischievous elf of Irish folklore believed to reveal the hiding place of treasure if caught.]

S

SilentFoxXy

Hi Tina

Thanks for the info hun. I also have a crafter in the faction, who has made about 200 traps in the past 6 mths. They have all been placed, and boomed at some stage.

How ever my crafter is also 'stuck' at level 5. She has no kills, no steals, she wont even step out of guard zones or tailor shops.

I log in with my faction chars at least once a day and check sigils, possibility of restealing etc, and go do it if its takeable.

I agree with some of the posts above, my main faction character is a totally pvp innocent, who started from the bottom, and has been killed probably countless times. She has killed oppo faction thieves, and at a couple of times, killed the oppos commander.....

But bottom line still reads how/ why is a newbie with NO pks and no traps, no silver earned, able to 1:) Run for office, 2:) Become Commander, 3:) Make tithe and Vendor rates 100% and 300% respectively.

Doesnt realise that ANY silver in the relevant CITY is property of the Holding Faction. (I believe?? only faction who are in control of a city have access to that cities funds?)

4 diff accounts, 4 diff faction members, 1 true faction who owns the towns, any silver is theirs to spend.... Kinda exploit ish I guess.

If he was a true commander he would be rallying the troops, calling us to arms, and marching on the other 3 strongholds, to regain what is rightfully ours, and regain our silver and lands.

Instead of setting 100% and 300%, and giggling cos hes a 12 yr old kid whos friends told him it was funny.....

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With a name like Grace O'Malley, is it possible she is part leprechaun and living a charmed life?

;)

[leprechaun: - A mischievous elf of Irish folklore believed to reveal the hiding place of treasure if caught.]

Nope - more likely to be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_O'Malley

By all accounts, she was one hell of a woman, even giving birth at sea and helping to fight off pirates who tried to board the ship the day after the birth, because she got pissed off with the noise the battle was making!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, Cailleach, for the additional information. I love reading articles like that. However, I also like to tease Arabella!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Foxxy, the bottom line is that the person is being a jerk and it's highly likely that he or she is also playing in an opposing faction, in spite of anything else they may tell you to make you think otherwise.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it except get more kill points yourself and run against him.

If it is causing you a lot of stress, my best advice is take a break from factions for a few weeks and concentrate on something else. There is absolutely no point to you getting so upset over it that it takes the fun out of playing.

Also, the CL cannot take silver away from a city. All they can do is move silver to a city from the faction treasury. One-way transfer. Not sure if that's what you were asking about, though.

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, I am impressed someone search out my thief name.........I searched a long time for this character's name and that is how I found Grace O'Malley. She was my kind of a woman. She rocked her time :)! Plus being Irish with the temper and all, does match my personality :).

My Main Character name, Arabella was researched as well but mostly came from the Book about Capt Blood, the name of his ship.

Tina you always give me a laugh, so yes I am part leprechaun as well!

S

SilentFoxXy

Foxxy,
If it is causing you a lot of stress, my best advice is take a break from factions for a few weeks and concentrate on something else. There is absolutely no point to you getting so upset over it that it takes the fun out of playing.
Again , thanks Tina, it just irks that my hard work in initially taking towns and placing the vendors in the first place etc etc

I play a lot every day, and factions is just a tiny part of my game, it may upset me, but hey, there are all types playing the game.

Ill sign up one of each from my several accounts, and try some serious hunting in pack and see what happens.....Its all fun whatever....

Thanks

CatT (FoxXy)

Additional :-

Just out of interest:-

My Status on Sigil Stone in Brit Castle reads thus:-

Points (Kill) 11
Rank 1

On my Crafter:-

Points 0
Rank 5

On my Stealth/Thief who has stolen sigils etc:-

Points 0
Rank 5

On my other warrior:-

Points 7
Rank 5

What SHOULD I be with 11 kills ....???

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Additional :-

Just out of interest:-

My Status on Sigil Stone in Brit Castle reads thus:-

Points (Kill) 11
Rank 1

On my Crafter:-

Points 0
Rank 5

On my Stealth/Thief who has stolen sigils etc:-

Points 0
Rank 5

On my other warrior:-

Points 7
Rank 5

What SHOULD I be with 11 kills ....???
No way to know, Foxxy. How recently did you log in with the characters that the stone says have kill points and who else is active in the faction and has kill points?

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina, I am having the very same problem as he is with the rankings. Maybe thoses that are on the Focus Group could see what Jeremy says about this buggy system too. Hopes for a fix as well :)

I

Irish Rage

I didn't read the whole thread cause I'm at work but as others have said rank is determied purely by your "points" relative to the rest of your faction. So as a new member with "0" points you "out rank" long time members with deficit points. In general these chars make up the bulk of your faction and thus characters with "0" points acheive high ranks for doing nothing. The system from my experiance however is fairly buggy and if you can't seem to change rank, leave the faction, and rejoin. This will reset your rank and should solve the problem.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just curious....are people still seeing buginess with faction ranks (i.e., in relatively active factions characters with no or low kill point totals compared to others mysteriously manage to have an elevated rank)? Any weirdness going on with kill point atrophy?

W

Willow30

There is a bug somewhere. I have been at rank 6 since the day I joined factions. I have never move up or down. I have even left one faction and joined another and still stayed at 6.