• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Coming from UO to WoW and have a lot of questions about Starting..

S

Scorch SP

Hello,

I used to be huge into UO for about three years ~2000-2002 and loved the PvP aspect of it. Now I am married, and just kind of want to relax on the couch with my laptop and play WoW while watching TV. Probably will start on a normal server though. Looking forward to starting. I haven't even created a character yet. I have several questions:

1) Am I better off doing the 7 day trial (I know I am going to play don't really need the 7 days)? It says at the end I am going to have to pay for the retail version. Should I just go pick up a copy from walmart for an account key cheaper? I guess I am not sure what is included (expansion wise) Just one expansion right?

2) I was a straight PvPer mage on UO. I am looking for an almost similar experience in WoW. I want to be able to take part in group quests until I get into the higher levels though. Also in my later levels, I don't want a nerfed character that can't PvP if I decide too switch over. I guess I am looking for help on the picking the more dominant Pvper classes (mage?, paladin?, priest?, shaman?, warlock?). I just don't want to be a warrior that I am for sure. I don't want to be a hybrid class (from what I have read).

3) I guess I didn't have as many questions as I thought. I am just looking for what you guys think is the more dominating classes for PvPer that I can have fun with in quests/group monster activities until I get into the higher levels.

L

Lord Abernathy

You might as well just get the full package then if you plan to get the full experience of WoW...I think with the 7 day trial, there are aspects/areas of the game you won't be able to get access to unless you get the full version.

As for caster PvP, you may wanna consider a mage or warlock as being your best bet. Warlocks probably have a slight edge in PvP though, since they have a pet for just about every purpose and more health for survivability. Also, warlocks can take on many quests solo that are recommended for 2-3 players. There's hardly any downtime when leveling a warlock, you can just keep killing and killing. Generally, warlocks will just stick their pet (voidwalker or felguard) on the mob while they stay behind casting DoT's (damage over time) spells.

A mage will usually get killed very fast in PvP (although if you're specc'ed in the frost talent tree, you will last longer, but the downside is slightly lower dps). As for leveling solo, mages do fairly well too, you get free water/food (mana and health regen), can instantly portal to major cities, and once you mastered AoE level-grinding, you can kill 5-10 mobs easy solo.

As for getting into groups/dungeons, i think mages have a slight edge because of their better crowd control ability and their AoE (Area of Effect) spells that can kill multiple mobs fast. Warlocks are pretty good, but they don't have the crowd control ability of mages (warlocks use their pet succubus to seduce mobs but it tends to break pretty easy and doesn't last as long as a mage's sheep spell). Warlocks advantage is that they can summon people inside the dungeon and also have a spell that lets one single player (usually the healer) to self-rezz. Both are great dps though (mages dps is quicker, while warlock dps is slower but last much longer...so eventually both are the same).

G

Mage or Warlock is the way to go.

For PVP, I will give you advice that most newbies to WoW don't get. You shouldn't enter BGs (Battlegrounds) till you are level 19. the 9s of each level are the twink levels. You really don't want to enter BGs at the low end because you get pwned.

BG's are divided into level tiers. 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, and 70.

As you can see there is a wide range between the low end for a BG grouping and the high end. PVP is a lot of fun when you don't get killed. I adore PVP in WoW and am a bit adicted to it.

Druid is also a good one to do for Warsong Gulch. As is Rogue.

Depending on server you pic, some people would be more than willing to help. Our guild on Whisperwind (Brewhaus) is a casual fun guild that has been called warmongers because at all times at least one of us is in a battleground. Sometimes more. We are good about helping those that wanna twink (which means stop level and just PVP at a given level with good gear etc). or those that wanna level but also wanna PVP at the twink levels.

Give me a holler and will be glad to help you out.

S

Scorch SP

ok thanks for the help. I LOVED pvp on UO, and that is all i did when I "maxed out" my character.

It is a little bit different now that I don't have near the amount of time to put into it.

I only have like a level 4 character right now so I am probably going to start one on a new server as soon as I can make up my mind on the class.

G

If you have a hard time deciding on class, try every class.

Shadow priests, while they have mad DPS are the first to be killed in a BG, followed by locks and healers. We do horrendous damage on the field.

Druids have flexibility. You can stealth. You can tank. You can heal. You have nice DPS depending on how you're specced and you can be the flag carrier in cat form.

Shamans are nice, but not the best in BGs.

Hunters are also nice in BGs, if they're beast mastery specced.

Paladins are great for healing and damage. Rogues are great at taking out the clothies (I hate rogues btw...they always kill locks).

You get more and more abilities as you level up, but once you hit level 20-25 on a character you can tell whether you will like playing it or not. That's especially true for Warlock/Mages/Druids.

My advice is to be sure to complement your class with crafting. If you're gonna be a lock/mage, be a tailor/enchanter or tailor/engineer (Being a tailor engineer is a bit more difficult because you can't mine your own stuff up for engineering).

Also time your pot chugging when y ou fight as you have 2 minutes before you can rechug healing/mana potions.

K

Krake021

Hey man, I played UO for many years and the PvP is so so so different from UO to WoW. Every class has their advantages, as I am sure you have been hearing, I like rouges for PvP here myself, but they arent the caster class. But from one UO vet to another this game is drastically different. Its very structured. No player housing (dammit!) and grinding is a lot less fun than on UO. The skills on this game are pretty well thought out, but still really structred. You can just go anywhere and mine something to try to find a vien, they are placed out in plain view and dont yeild as much as you would like. Other people can tell you more about PvP classes than I can, but if you wanna just talk about UO and remenice gimme a hollar.

A

alynatrill

Hey, roll rogue or hunter... easiest classes to play and level (hunters because they do mass damage and have a pet to tank and rogues because they can stealth to where their quest items are)

N

Nyaz

I recommend againts picking Hunter as your first class. They are a tad -too- easy, in my opinion and there are other classes which are more fun to play.

I'd pick something like rogue or mage. Of course, maybe it's just me who likes moving fast around the battlefield while blasting people with fireballs.

D

Devilengine

As for getting into groups/dungeons, i think mages have a slight edge because of their better crowd control ability and their AoE (Area of Effect) spells that can kill multiple mobs fast. Warlocks are pretty good, but they don't have the crowd control ability of mages (warlocks use their pet succubus to seduce mobs but it tends to break pretty easy and doesn't last as long as a mage's sheep spell). Warlocks advantage is that they can summon people inside the dungeon and also have a spell that lets one single player (usually the healer) to self-rezz. Both are great dps though (mages dps is quicker, while warlock dps is slower but last much longer...so eventually both are the same).
Bah... mages and their AOE.. Arcane explosion is so cheesie :p.. with a good AOE tanking group, Seed of Corruption will toast any AOE from anybody, providing the 'lock has time to get 3-4 off. Mage Utlity... Food and superior CC in the form of sheep. 'Lock utility... summons, soul stones, health stones (free pot), limited CC, debuffing, etc etc...

L

Lillyuo

If you know someone that plays, do the refer a friend thingy...any time you are in a party with your friend, your get triple exp. That's a no brainer.

It is cheaper though to buy the game in the store.

For your first class roll a HEALER. Look in the forums of the server you want to play on and look at all the LFG posts of guilds that cant fill healer spots.

W

wyrmtongue

I used to play UO a long time ago.. Oceania,Pac,Atlantic,SP, and Lake Austin when it came out.

Been playing WoW for a while I play on Blackrock and Dath'remar mostly.

Blackrock is a PVP server. :popcorn:

I mainly play the Horde faction but I have some alliance toons since my brother plays the Alliance. :coco:

I have a 70 of most character classes except Paladin, Priest, Druid and Mage.

I mainly pvp on my warlock as affliction and sometimes pvp on my rogue as combat swords, used to be sub back in the day.

My hunter is a PVE spec so I rarely take him into BGs.

My shaman is resto and sometimes I PVP with him, but if you go into a BG as a healer expect people gunning for you right away. :gun:

Difference between PVE and PVP servers is in a PVE server you only flag if you turn it on, go into a BG or try to enter the other factions cities.

On a PVP server your automatically flagged if you go into whats considered a "neutral area" Stranglethorn Vale is a example.

They have RP servers if you like to RP and also PVPRP servers.

All the classes are fun to play but for pvp like I said I prefer the warlock. :thumbup1:

G

GrizzleyAdams

Should I just go pick up a copy from walmart for an account key cheaper? I guess I am not sure what is included (expansion wise) Just one expansion right?
You should buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraf..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1225478592&sr=8-2

It comes with the original game and the expansion, plus a strategy guide for each game. The trial isn't good at all because they lock out features, like the Auction House, which is essential to making money.

2) I guess I am looking for help on the picking the more dominant Pvper classes (mage?, paladin?, priest?, shaman?, warlock?).
Mages and Warlocks are both great at pvp if you know how to play them. Mages can lock people in place and blast their heads in with spells, while Warlocks can fear (disorient) opponents and kill them with damage over time spells.

3) I am just looking for what you guys think is the more dominating classes for PvPer that I can have fun with in quests/group monster activities until I get into the higher levels.
Warlocks can solo level better than mages but both are very powerful in pvp. If you want to play as a magic class then either would be a great selection. However, Rogues are probably the overall most dominant pvp class.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also if you used the UO Toolbar and still have it installed in your browser, click the + on the far left... and click WoWXbar from the menu. Then you'll have the WoWXbar without having to install it seperately. All GameXbars can be swapped on the fly without additional installs.

This is a great option when changing from one MMO to another or playing multiple MMOs. :)

TheVampster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played UO for 5 yrs and then switched to WoW. (2001-2006) I did try to play UO again last year, but it couldn't keep my interest and I ended up playing WoW again. I just needed a break from WoW.

Pvp is quite different in Wow than in UO. I wasn't much of a pvper in UO, and wasn't big on the idea of pvp in Wow, but that is what makes the game. Always looking over your shoulder to see if you are gonna get ganked by the other faction... doing battlegrounds and arenas too.

Not sure if you understand the pvp in Wow, but it took me a bit to figure it out. One major thing is - You don't lose your stuff! I'm sure if you have any questions on pvp, you can post more here, or just look up the ruleset for pvp on the WoW website.

I'm not sure if UO is gonna last forever (prob not), but I enjoyed going back for a bit and catching up with old pals on the Lake Austin server. I love WoW though, but I will never forget the fun times and friends I made on Ultima Online. Maybe I will go back to it again soon. Good luck!