• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Combine the shards

H

Hooli Gan

Lets just combine shards and get it over with. make the moongate have a option for each shard and lets do this.Sorry MR roleplayer Quit kicking it its dead.

Simple done just do it

F

Fayled Dhreams

took a month to come up with that *snorts* "idea" ?
(reg date)
...Mr PvPer whats needs more players ...
combining any shards, at anytime ... is the sound of the door closing ...
ie.
no more UO PvP for you ... foo ...

<<< SnR

H

Hooli Gan

id say if it could be done I would love it personally.I am based in napa but am currently working in wisc and I ping a 15 to atl and most other east coast shards.
Dont do it just for me though.

Seriously whats the complaint about this? combine the player base,nobody looses history or housing,ability the travel other lands,far more competition for pvp.More customers to buy your crafters wares. hard to think of a downside

im sure were about to hear a few though ....I VOTE YES

each of these shards alone used to hold close to what our current combined population is now. JUST do it

G

I don't see how you think nobody will lose housing ... I have a house on my shard. Someone else has a house in the same place on each other shard. If you end up with everyone on one shard, which one of us gets the plot?

(I would support an "wood between worlds" facet that everyone could moongate to and then back to their home shards, except that the recent blackrock detector event proves that UO doesn't quite need this yet - it's still able to get out server-trashing crowds when people are sufficiently excited)

G

<blockquote><hr>

I don't see how you think nobody will lose housing ... I have a house on my shard. Someone else has a house in the same place on each other shard. If you end up with everyone on one shard, which one of us gets the plot?

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea is to have a moongate to the different shards. Enter a moongate, and you have a list of shards. Pick a shard, then pick a facet, then pick a location.

Down side? Honestly, it's not hard to think of the stress this would put on the server if enough people gather in one area. I remember thinking back to the event arc where 300 people in one area constituted as a huge lag fest.

Combining all the servers would make it AT LEAST 1,000 people in one area. And that would be constant server crashes.

EDIT: Ah, see you added to your post. :O

L

Lord_locke

<blockquote><hr>

Lets just combine shards and get it over with. make the moongate have a option for each shard and lets do this.Sorry MR roleplayer Quit kicking it its dead.

Simple done just do it

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone actually read the mans post? lol, he's talking about allowing shard-xfer via moongates.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Here
Done

now leave the rest of the game alone.

Maplestone has pointed out the housing problem ... now you can work on the character problem ... for those of us that play multiple shards ... are we going to be able to move all six TO a shard with another six present?

DOH! not being able to see the problems (aside from a mass exodus from a dying game ... ie shard closures/merging being a positive sure sign of failure)

doesn't mean there wont be any

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
rtlfc

PLEASE DO SOMETHING!

Our shard is dying, and EA can kiss my cute lil bum if they think I'm paying for transfers to the handful of servers with more than a dozen people on every night and lose my houses to boot. 6 charas x 2 accounts x $30 = $360 plus whatever it would cost me to buy comparable houses on the new shard, are you kidding me?

Every older game goes through this phase when server consolidation is necessary. EQ, SWG, AC, DAoC, Shadowbane, even WOW has done server merges and free character transfers in order to better manage the populations. EA, you're being both cheap AND lazy.

At the very least - and in the interests of everyone getting to keep his houses - stick up inter-server-moongates to allow us to move between all the shards, similar to the way GW works, or the way CoH/CoV is going to be. This is a no-brainer.

G

If you ping so great to Atlantic, just buy a transfer token and leave.

There isn't that easier than getting your knickers in a knot over shard merging?

H

Hooli Gan

As stated dont wanna leave Napa love it there.Like all the pople for the most part.Was just tossing an idea out there.BTW not wearing any knickers..free at last muwhahahaha

BTW whatever happened to Aidelwulf? curious was in MF long,long time ago

F

Fayled Dhreams

So ... you want the "crowded" shards moved (force marched) over to suit you ...

yeah right ...

G

That would be awesome... To have a moongate to let you travel to all the different shards. Not so sure it could be done, but it would be cool. Doubt you'd have to worry about lagging out in events, when you can just travel to a lesser populated event on a different shard. I'd love this idea, and then we'd all be one big community... Bring it on!!!

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont think it'll happen.. Look at guilds for example. There would be conflicts with the same guild abrv., faction membership too.. Rather than "combine" multiple, or all the servers, maybe make a "new" world alltogether.

Take a snapshot of everyones houses on all facets, and make them appear on the new world that has a much much larger and altered landscape.. say the size of 15 Britannias. New continents to explore, ect ect. And everyone gets to keep their house.. The landmass around the house would change obviously. THUS, one BIG server, everyone gets to keep their houses, and still no one will be happy.

Still would be the problem of guild abrvs.. maybe tweak the guild system to allow more than 4 characters for the abrv??

Or make Xfer tokens avaliable ingame. Maybe a random drop off of DF?

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the idea of a shard moongate. No need for char xfer anymore. Just click the moongate and go hunt catskills instead of pacific.

J

joblackjon

I like the idea of a shard moongate. Prices would drop on populated shards and increase on unpopulated ones. Much more housing would be available to everyone since it wouldn't matter where your house was located. Likely 3-4 Luna banks would become the most popular gathering/vendor locations.
If the Sphynx on Baja was "occupied", I'd have, what, 26 others Tram Sphynx to try!

but...

If we had a shard moongate would that mean one guild would control all the champ spawns in the entire UO world? Scroll prices???
Would dupers have lower operating expenses since they wouldn't need transfer tokens?
Would all the jerk-griefers from all shards gather together to make any event impossible to play?

G

Yeah, combine all the shards!

Except Sonoma.

I'll be the crazy old hermit that lives on Sonoma and yells incoherently at people that walk by.

Get off my lawn, gaddamn kids.