• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Coding questions

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm not a coder but I don't understand why when making changes for pvp fixes shouldn't the first line in fix be
Is this player in heat of battle
If no act as normal
If yes nerf ninja or two minutes login timer etc

Dan(Tasanar)

Journeyman
Professional
UNLEASHED
Because if that's how code worked, how you just imagined right there, planes would fall out of the sky.

If sky != null make plane do things I think a plane should do.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm not a coder but I don't understand why when making changes for pvp fixes shouldn't the first line in fix be
If no act as normal
They say there is tons of spaghetti code so it's possible that the current code isn't written so straight forward.

dancingrocks

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
If no act as normal
Good luck with your coding questions.
Perhaps try UOEmu (giggles).

On a side note, this is my last post and I won't be visiting anymore.
The moderators pick and choose which of my silly comments they want to keep or delete based off of their personal preferences.

Hugs & Kisses for Broadsword & Stratics

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This doesn't sound like a coding question. This sounds like a "why don't they just do what I want" question.

At any rate.....The answer is: Not everyone agrees on what changes to make. Not all players will agree with what I think you're proposing. (I might agree myself, though.) Once everyone does agree on what changes to make, sometimes stuff effects other things unexpectedly. Especially when the code in question has been strung together over the years.

Draconi once wrote of the problems in coding in the idiosyncratic movements of Sherry the Mouse and the Slahser of Veils. I forget which came first but they thought they could copy the movement code from one to the other and just change the parameters. It didn't work - the character just sat there. They examined further and it turned out that character was being impacted by code, dictating its movement in other circumstances, that they didn't realize was having an impact.

Another example, not from UO, has had tragic consequences:

This stuff can be caused by a coding error. Everything is going logically and appears trouble free until there's a condition you didn't account for in the program. Even then, as far as the code is concerned, there's no trouble at all. It's just doing what it thinks you want it to do. Then, someone dies or worse.

Now please don't mistake this, I do not think there is a good excuse for all of the bugs in UO. I'm just saying there are some excellent reasons why this stuff isn't easy.

If they weren't wasting time on the new shard's code perhaps they could be able to do all kinds of more stuff.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A simple answer to your question is yes, you can have an if/else statement, adding in segments of code for each condition, and then multiple conditions.

Old programmers did bad jobs tho, not commenting on variables, and different segments.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Original programmers didn’t expect the game to last this long and there weren’t really coding best practices back then. This is discussed a bit in the first Braving Brittania book from Wes Locher.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Maybe I'm missing something.... what's the intention of the OP? Basically saying the ninja skill needs nerfed in pvp?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe I'm missing something.... what's the intention of the OP? Basically saying the ninja skill needs nerfed in pvp?

Actually, I think he's saying it needs to be UN-Nerfed for NON-PvP...

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I always thought ninjas work pretty good in both PvP and non-PvP. I'm pretty sure every one of my characters has ninjitsu, it's just too much fun to not have on a template. But I think he's talking about using weapon specials in animal form though. That seems to be the typical complaint about ninjitsu. In my opinion, it works fine in both PvP and PvM. If you are having trouble with ninjitsu in PvM, try a template like this one by Lord God:

[Ninjitsu] - My new template.

If being able to solo almost anything in game is not powerful enough for you, there is nothing more that I can teach you in the ways of the ninja, Tiny Grasshopper.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cant cast magery etc. spells in Animal form. Kinda like playing the big grape in Necro.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I will say that in a PvP template, I've noticed several DP/Ninjas in Fel Fire. I guess they match up well against Sampires. They spam DP/disarm/death strike/AI... if they have 1 person as a dismounter it's pretty much a death sentence. If you are able to dismount them; they just animal form into a wolf and run away as if they were mounted (or smoke bomb).

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You used to be able to cast any spell and use weapon specials in animal form dog archers were OP in pvp so rather than look for a way to fix that they made it so you can't do **** in animal form including even some actual ninja spells..

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
You used to be able to cast any spell and use weapon specials in animal form dog archers were OP in pvp so rather than look for a way to fix that they made it so you can't do **** in animal form including even some actual ninja spells..
Well I'm trying to figure out which animal form can fire a bow?
It's got to make sense at some level.

*checks the log and nope*

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So you want to be able to cast and use weapon specials in animal form along with the awesomeness of mirror images and focus attack? Sounds OP to me. Ninjitsu is powerful enough as it is for those who know how to use it.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Strange - I thought I saw a post here that made a valid, if exaggerated, analogy between this post and the medical field. Did I imagine this? if not, what happened to it?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's the heavy handed tunnel vision approach to fixing anything op in pvp all you sampire should be glad it's not effective in pvp the two minutes login timer another classic example who doesn't love going home getting attacked by local spawn and having to wait when a simple line of is this person in heat of battle would have fixed issue..