• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Clunky Combat

evilgrin

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Love the game, love all the skills, love the randomness of the loot(quickly run out of space). Really think there is a great foundation. I love that you have to do quests to unlock skills, very little is just given.

I've played quite a few MMOs, favorites would be AC, EQ, and Darkfall.

I know it's Alpha, so not going to get to critical, but wonder what direction combat is headed?

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
We have a bunch of detail-type changes to do, to make it a little less confusing and give combat a little more feedback. We're also experimenting with different things, for instance I know Aaron is experimenting with a Skyrim-style off-to-the-side camera right now. Unlike some of the other parts of the game, I don't have a master plan for the exact combat mechanics; we're just planning to keep evolving it as we find things that work.

But it sounds like you have combat-related things in mind that you'd like to talk about; please feel free to chime in!

evilgrin

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Im a huge advocate of free aim, not sure if this is possible. It makes combat alot less repetitive, forces the player to pay way more attention. There is no auto-lock auto combat cycle with farm mobs. I loved Everquest and played it for a long time, just dont think I can go back to that combat style again. TESO style combat would be much much better, as long as you guys leave the soft lock and everything else about that game behind(themepark crap). It does have assisted aim which is kinda weird, if I want to cast a fireball at a tree I'd like to be able to do that. I like having to aim an arrow, its up to you guys how big the hitboxes are. If there is a wobble, how much of a wobble. It creates some imbalance in pvp because of player skill, but this isn't full loot like darkfall, and maybe pvp is only in sanctioned areas?

The skill bar limits IMO should remain, since characters can essentially master everything. If there isn't skill bar limits, I would hotkey every skill and write scripts. I would basicly be able to use every combat skill, it would seem very OP to someone who just used the bars. It's not cheating, but managing keys and scripts is something that your average player doesn't want to do.