• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

City of Wind

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just ran across some information regarding a mage city. I've played 3 yrs or so, and have never been there. No one has mentioned that I should go there. Surely, there is a reason to go there besides mere curiousity. I'm certain that some of old timers can shed some light on if it is worthwhile to explore the area. Any information would be most appreciated. Are there any mage quests there? Are certain supplies cheaper? Etc.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I just ran across some information regarding a mage city. I've played 3 yrs or so, and have never been there. No one has mentioned that I should go there. Surely, there is a reason to go there besides mere curiousity. I'm certain that some of old timers can shed some light on if it is worthwhile to explore the area. Any information would be most appreciated. Are there any mage quests there? Are certain supplies cheaper? Etc.
well there are all kinds of npc vendors there that only mages can get to there are liches that surround tunnels around the place and all kinds of badies in the park there other than that I cant think of anything special there that you cant find in a lot of other places

C

Chiera

all things magery there. The secret city of mages. Not much to write home about in terms of mob, 3 nice demon spawns, a dragon, and in the garden plenty of gargles. Used to be that you needed at least 70 magery to enter there. Don't know if this has changed in the meantime. It's been a few years since I last was in Wind.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
all things magery there. The secret city of mages. Not much to write home about in terms of mob, 3 nice demon spawns, a dragon, and in the garden plenty of gargles. Used to be that you needed at least 70 magery to enter there. Don't know if this has changed in the meantime. It's been a few years since I last was in Wind.
its 72 magery to get in

C

Chiera

ah ok, so 72 it is. Now that I think of it, Wind used to be pretty crowded once for gold and fame farming. Especially the demon spawn in the passage. Hide and let the nightmare eat away. Guess this would still work, but why bother with demons when you can have miasmas or whatever the latest mob de jour is ;)

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can't recall in or out from there, right?
There was a spot for a Kraken in there too.

K

Kazumi the Wild

You can't recall in or out from there, right?
There was a spot for a Kraken in there too.
2 Kraken.

I think it should be mentioned that the dragon spawn in Wind also has Greater Dragons now as well. I believe its 1 of each.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was once (before Trammel) reasons to go to Wind, most of which don't exist any more.
For example, you could go to Wind to hire mages to train your magic resist. Now that's pointless given the easier method for training (are mages still even hirable?) resist.
Wind park (where the Kraken is) used to spawn leather-bearing animals, making it one of the few "safe" places to hunt leathers pre-Trammel. At least for me, but I was an anomaly then. I had 80 magery on a dexxer template
There were no guards in Wind city for a while, making killing NPCs fun and profitable (there are guards in Wind now).
Also pre-Tram, Wind was a great place for a dexxer, since most Wind pk's were mages and the corridors made running away VERY difficult. Contrarywise, a dexxer PK (remember Adam Ant anyone?) could make a killing there. Literally.

But when they changed the park spawn, the only reason to go there was for the rope. When they re-added the guards to close the NPC-killing exploit (most only wanted the sandles), nobody went for that reason. When they added the greater dragon spawn, the corridors became too cramped to actually kill it effectively without one of your own. And when they added Trammel, the fights completely dried up.

So now, Wind is a good place to send new mages to kill demons and liches.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wind feels a little closterphobic. Wish they would add a little more incentive to go there. At least the Kraken's rope is a start (for the hitching post).

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was once (before Trammel) reasons to go to Wind, most of which don't exist any more.
For example, you could go to Wind to hire mages to train your magic resist. Now that's pointless given the easier method for training (are mages still even hirable?) resist.
Wind park (where the Kraken is) used to spawn leather-bearing animals, making it one of the few "safe" places to hunt leathers pre-Trammel. At least for me, but I was an anomaly then. I had 80 magery on a dexxer template
There were no guards in Wind city for a while, making killing NPCs fun and profitable (there are guards in Wind now).
Also pre-Tram, Wind was a great place for a dexxer, since most Wind pk's were mages and the corridors made running away VERY difficult. Contrarywise, a dexxer PK (remember Adam Ant anyone?) could make a killing there. Literally.

But when they changed the park spawn, the only reason to go there was for the rope. When they re-added the guards to close the NPC-killing exploit (most only wanted the sandles), nobody went for that reason. When they added the greater dragon spawn, the corridors became too cramped to actually kill it effectively without one of your own. And when they added Trammel, the fights completely dried up.

So now, Wind is a good place to send new mages to kill demons and liches.

Thanks a bunch. This was exactly the information that I was seeking. A couple people mentioned the kraken rope. Is that a stealable item or just pick it up?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
The kraken item(rope) is looted off the corpse! the drop rate is not that good

A

Alyssa of ATL

This is an old thread, but...

I can't remember how to get to the Wind bank.
Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks!

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wind is indicitive of how the special "Gargoyle only" area of Stygian Abyss will be. If they haven't done anything with Wind, then why should we believe that the Gargoyle area will be worth visiting?
Such a shame that something creative wasn't done with Wind. Something tailored to mages.

R

RichDC

Am i right in thinking that fel wind has a mare spawn location?