• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Chester Bennington

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Heartwrenching but yes... suicide is always the easy route... but it leaves everyone else to pick up the pieces of your selfishness... and I couldn't do that to my family... but Depression is a HORRIBLE affliction... and should NEVER be taken lightly, poopooed or suffered alone...

One should always seek help when the demons get dark.

Depression doesn't care if you are rich or poor, skinny or fat, short or tall, or whatever... it effects any and all with an overwhelming darkness. Knowing you have it is only half the battle... and I don't think it is ever won... Sometimes you beat it back... but it generally returns.

Its sad to see yet another bright light burn out so young though.

Whenever I think about suicide I think of this:

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sometimes this life can be hard, that is for sure. It's still hard to believe, but America and the world just lost a little piece of greatness that can never be returned back. This band was a symbol of unity for countries even. Japan for one was waiting endlessly for this band to come back. Linkin Park was probably my wife and mine's favorite band. The guy even put a Mobile Suit Gundam action figure on his desk on one of his music videos, the greatest anime. RIP Chester Bennington.

I may be alone in this, but I don't think he did it. Too much to live for, too many posts the week before... Too many fans waiting on him and too much happiness in interviews the months before. Chris Cornell's death hurt everyone, but I don't think that's reason enough for him to insult his friend by taking his life on his birthday. Plus he had plans in the hours after it happened. I would tend to look more towards those who pull the strings in this world; and who make those TR-3Bs. But... I've been alone knowing about that for ten years. So right or wrong, I know I'm likely alone in even questioning this as well. Either way... the world lost a great talent today, and it hurts a lot of people I know.

Linkin Park - Still the greatest band of all time. Thank you guys for everything.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Incredibly selfish act when you have children. I know from personal experience seeing it happen in my immediate family unfortunately. Taking your own life is never the solution.

The guy did have a great voice for his genre of 'metal' (if you even want to call it that). He will be sorely missed by fans and family. I have fond memories of blasting Linkin Park to get our football team pumped up before running out onto the field about 14-15 years ago.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hurting is preferable to dead any day of the week ya know? You don't recover from dead.
I agree with you that suicide shouldn't be the answer when someone has kids, but I don't think the quoted part is necessarily true.

There are many people who live in genuine misery and agony due to combinations of mental issues and physical pain. They know it will never go away, and it will never get better. Take someone with both schizophrenia and depression for example, it is a lifelong and mostly incurable combination of diseases. People assume it's possible to get over depression, but only because they haven't had legitimate clinical depression which is very different from just feeling sad. It does not go away, ever, with or without pills. Every day the person hates themselves, has no joy in life, no desire to do anything, and no energy to the point where some people legitimately cannot summon the physical energy to go outside at all for weeks at a time. Combine that with something like schizophrenia where they hear voices and can't tell reality from fantasy for their whole lives... and I can see why they would not have any desire to continue living.

They already know it will never go away and they will never feel better, so their choices are go through decades of continued misery and self-hatred, then die eventually anyway, or just speed up the process of death but skip the decades of misery part. To many people it looks like a very appealing option. I honestly can't fault them for thinking that way.

Pets are put down all the time as a form of mercy and to save them from pain, even though they cannot communicate whether they want to die or not, so why should it be any different for a person who actually is able to communicate that they want it to happen? It is their life, and regardless of anything else they should be able to control what they do with their own life, including ending it to save themselves a lifetime of suffering if they believe that is the best option. It is certainly selfish to do it when they have children and family members who depend on them, but ultimately it is still their life and they are the ones dealing with the pain every second of every day, not the people around them.

Tail of a Comet

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't know how to I tell my idea...I'm confused and can not stop crying still.
My first thought was only "WHY!?" when I saw the heart breaking news yesterday.
Sorry I still can not think good now.

I just wanna tell you guys a story.
When Japan had the big earthquakes happen 6 years ago.
A lot of people left from Japan when they thought the radiation polluted it and they kept feeling earthquakes.
Linkin Park was one of the bands who came to visit Japan for a charity concert for the big earthquakes after lots of people had left. He cheered up lots of people and he was a light that had been showing hope in the dark.
Just saying thank you was not enough, because he gave us a big light for hope in the dark as a we lived.

Even If he didn't come to Japan for the charity, he was the greatest singer for me too!
WHY? WHY he had to die?????!!!!!

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It's strange to me how most people immediately start issuing the selfish card but I can't get over how a person can break so badly.

I can't believe some people think they can relate to it "talk to someone/get help", they say suicide is a cowards way out, I'd say it's ultimately the stupidest of options but cowardly? Suicide to me is the scariest of ****s, human's naturally want to live and carry on till the very end, so how the hell are people able to relate to how screwed up Chester's head was I don't know "oh he left his children", sad but obvious. All I'm saying is my first cry is for ways to prevent suicide not to slam Chester himself for his "easy" decision, I think it's incredibly "easy" to say he's selfish.

Anyway *** this i was sad for 30 mins or so, I used to listen to Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory/Meteora religiously this guy's voice will go to my grave but Mike Shinoda's voice is 50% of my miming so aslong as he doesn't fall i'm not in proper shock xD

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
I am still on "shock"
my favorite Band, I liked Chester a lot as singer, His voice was pretty much everything that Linkin Park is today, I also loved his side project Dead by Sunrise.... We cant judge anyone, but "We" need to work to prevent more cases like this, America is the #1 Country with Suicide cases, PTSD and many other cases of Mental problems... We need to learn from situations like this and try somehow to prevent.... I agree with @Merlin on 1 thing, I am a father as well and I can tell the love that we have for our kids will always overcome any problems that I may face....most of us will give "our lifes" to protect our kids.... but anyway, RIP Chester.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Depression doesn't care if you are rich or poor, skinny or fat, short or tall, or whatever... it effects any and all with an overwhelming darkness. Knowing you have it is only half the battle... and I don't think it is ever won...
True clinical depression is like a hungry "black hole". It devours joy, hope, even faith... and those who have never experienced it sometimes mistake it for mere selfishness. It is so much more than that. I do hate to see it claim another victim. :(