• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ChatGPT & UO

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
NPCs can have their own personalities and be more interactive.

maybe bugs could even be fixed as it could help them find the problems.

maybe EMs out of a job? Perhaps GMs too, I know they already use a really poor AI like system where you get a canned response based on a key word when you call a GM.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When Ultima Online launched, the NPCs could chat. Well, respond to a few key words.
Also, some of them gave "item quests" and some "murder quests."

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
When Ultima Online launched, the NPCs could chat. Well, respond to a few key words.
Also, some of them gave "item quests" and some "murder quests."
They still respond to those words like "(NPC name) where is the tailor". They will say something like "Ah the tailor is some ways to the south-east". Helped me a bunch during early UO before all the map tools (and when I ran 90% of the places I went).

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can tell them to move when they are blocking your recall spot. Or just to be bossy.

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
You can tell them to move when they are blocking your recall spot. Or just to be bossy.
I actually had one listen when I told him to move recently. Though I wondered if it had just been a coincidence because I thought that didn't work anymore.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I actually had one listen when I told him to move recently. Though I wondered if it had just been a coincidence because I thought that didn't work anymore.
If they aren't anchored to a single spot (ie they can actually move) this still works. Some NPCs have been frozen in one spot though so they don't respond to this (but you can still ask them directions).

Dan(Tasanar)

Journeyman
Professional
UNLEASHED
The emulation community has already begun playing around with these AIs as well as creating NPCs to converse with. They also learn as they go and "remember" previous questions. You'd be surprised what these AIs already know about Ultima.
Screenshot_20230426_085922_Samsung Internet.jpg

There are also many examples on the ServUO discord of people asking ChatGPT to create monsters with special abilities or entierly new systems. The program has returned entire workable scripts that can be dropped in and run on the fly.

The prompt for this was "Can you create a random monster based on ServUO written in C#?"
Screenshot_20230426_090602_Gallery.jpg

Entire quest lines could be coded with relative ease once you are familiar with the correct prompts to use and the stories generated appear quite unique and thought out.

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Could a chat bot properly argue with paddy cakes for me
Pretty sure we don't need AI to emulate your argument with Pawain... just pick one of the following from a loop:

"Argh! Pirating and Fishin need updatin!"
"...but why hasn't that been communicated?"
"Yet again Gargs get no love... why can't that item be "better" for a Garg?" --> No need to define "better" or give example. Broad and vague are best.
"Just because you dislike me doesn't mean my idea isn't good"
"You don't have to respond to my thread if you don't like the idea" --> this a good one because you like to hijack other threads with your disagreeing thoughts
(Insert some random negative insult about the Dev team)

I think that pretty much captures 90% of your arguments. They are all pretty basic enough that they can be used interchangeably.

While I'm at it I'll give Pawain's post too because it's similar to yours:

"On LS, we do stuff and get stuff"
"I don't have that problem so it's obviously user error on your end"
"This content is so good and so fun. Great job Dev team of giving everyone what they asked for"
"I don't know why everyone is so mean to Mesanna - her creampies are the best"
"Yea I knew that" --> This one is probably going to be used the most and can also be used even when wrong.
(Insert some wrong information about UO)

The trick with the responses from Pawain is that they have to be like 2-3 times more frequent than anyone else and on every single topic as people enter the frame.

So there. I just recapped every single one of your arguments together so just refer to this post next time you two lovebirds don't wanna get a room and save everyone else the time. :D