• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[BUG] Chat window

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
New patch, new bugs....
Now the chat filter doesn't works anymore, let's hope they can fix it...
or just release the real chat window scripts instead of the fake ones :D

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The chat filter "works" still for me... I have several tabs to separate out world char from alliance chat, party chat, global chat - etc.

BUT the system messages are now in EVERY tab :(

Looks like they took the supremely lazy route again in 'fixing' something only they thought was broken. Apparently someone thought GMs were being ignored by EC users (as if anyone who paged a GM is going to ignore them...) and thus decided that they would simply make system text appear on all tabs.

Of course, since GM/EM TELL MESSAGES are considered special text already they could have simply made those appear on all tabs. There is a "private" checkbox for the filters afterall as well.

Typical shortsighted laziness.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The chat filter "works" still for me... I have several tabs to separate out world char from alliance chat, party chat, global chat - etc.

BUT the system messages are now in EVERY tab :(

Looks like they took the supremely lazy route again in 'fixing' something only they thought was broken. Apparently someone thought GMs were being ignored by EC users (as if anyone who paged a GM is going to ignore them...) and thus decided that they would simply make system text appear on all tabs.

Of course, since GM/EM TELL MESSAGES are considered special text already they could have simply made those appear on all tabs. There is a "private" checkbox for the filters afterall as well.

Typical shortsighted laziness.
the GM messages have a special filter so I don't get why the system messages must be shown everywhere...
With my warrior now I can't read nothing without keep scrolling for pages...

C

Cloak&Dagger

the GM messages have a special filter so I don't get why the system messages must be shown everywhere...
With my warrior now I can't read nothing without keep scrolling for pages...
I have the same problem, I think people were complaining about "missing" the GM messages when in fact they were just not paying attention. I always had the system msgs filtered and never once missed a GM message. Or the devs made a mistake in "fixing" a real issue, and they need to fix it better so we can filter it again. >.<

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡2011834 said:
I have the same problem, I think people were complaining about "missing" the GM messages when in fact they were just not paying attention. I always had the system msgs filtered and never once missed a GM message. Or the devs made a mistake in "fixing" a real issue, and they need to fix it better so we can filter it again. >.<
for what I can see they have removed the capability to filter the system messages making the whole filtering system useless....

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The chatwindow is only a loaded mod like our mod files, you cand disable it and use your own one instead if interested.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The chatwindow is only a loaded mod like our mod files, you cand disable it and use your own one instead if interested.
I know it can be rebuilt, but they should avoid this kind of destructive patch...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Cool... I guess. I have been going nuts trying to figure out why system messages are in my journal. It is not just me. *nods*

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
something I have noticed also is that I cannot grab the scroll bar and scroll up or down I now have to use the mouse wheel and that can be a pain when scrolling through a lot of chat

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they take out the ability to filter out system messages, It would be really hard to even notice a GM message if you are in the middle of killing stuff/pvp. GM message would just scroll off due to the system message spam way to fast to be noticed.

It would kind of defeat the purpose of fixing the issue of people missing GM messages.

I mean should I be focused on my character and not die or be staring the the chat window constantly.......

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fix it fix it fix it FIX IT! Along with the bandage, honor, fame spam it's impossible to see GM chat anyway; I'd normally switch to doing something like decorating whilst waiting for a GM, but now I can't see ANY chat when I'm out hunting as it gets scrolled off by system messages constantly! FIX IT FIIIIIX IIIIT!

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, it sucks big time! All my neatly arranged chat windows are now getting spammed by system messages.

Never got the thing with GM messages - what are you guys doing that you are getting so many of them anyway? Last time I got one, was during the first ToT, when someone reported me for being afk (which I wasn't). Don't even remember what it looked like.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Yeah, it sucks big time! All my neatly arranged chat windows are now getting spammed by system messages.

Never got the thing with GM messages - what are you guys doing that you are getting so many of them anyway? Last time I got one, was during the first ToT, when someone reported me for being afk (which I wasn't). Don't even remember what it looked like.
I am not sure I understand the question, but the issue is that I am guessing someone complained they were "not getting" GM msgs, either after they paged a gm or for whatever reason so they removed the filter even though the filter had nothing to do with the problem.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So.... Pinco....

Any plans on fixing the chat filter for the Devs?
I don't know... the chat window is inside the client and a little mistake could hide an important message.
Other than that rebuild the entire chat like it is will requires too much time and actually I've received too many complainings because I've changed too many default things.

So if the devs will release the real chat scripts I will modify them, in other case the chat stay as it is for now.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dammit, I couldn't resist and I remade the chat window....
However, will be limited compared to the original one, but will have the following feature:

- Customizable font for each channel

- Customizable font size for each channel

- Customizable font color for each channel. If the text is sent with a color from server, this color will overwrite the channel default one. ex. the player speech color.

- It can auto-hide (toggleable)

- The fade-out delay is customizable between 1 and 20 seconds

- When is hidden will re-appear on new message.

- You can toggle the re-appear on mouse over.

- You can choose the default alpha of the window. From 0 (totally transparent) to 1 (dull). The text will still visible in both cases

- You can create up to 4 tabs

- You can extract the tabs from the main window in order to have another chat window for a single tab. That can be re-integrated in a second time.

- Tabs can be renamed.

- The new chat window could be locked, snapped and resized.

- Obviously each tab can be customized by toggling chat channels (system too).

- The settings are all in a window accessible by right-clicking the orange baloon near the chat line.

- You can clear the journal.

If you need more features now it's the moment...

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yay Pinco! :bowdown:

Only features I can think at the moment is one to bold EM chat...so invulnerable characters, if thats even possible... I guess one to bold GM chat would be good too, just to cover your bases. (Possibly even add an event to your playsound for when a "GM XYZ tells you:" appears in your journal.)

Would it be possible to set keywords that could also get bolded or hilighted somehow?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yay Pinco! :bowdown:

Only features I can think at the moment is one to bold EM chat...so invulnerable characters, if thats even possible... I guess one to bold GM chat would be good too, just to cover your bases. (Possibly even add an event to your playsound for when a "GM XYZ tells you:" appears in your journal.)

Would it be possible to set keywords that could also get bolded or hilighted somehow?
the bold style is not properly visible with all fonts, but I can put a way to customize the text color for invulnerable characters.
The GM text is impossible to test... unless I don't start to harass the few GM arounds in order to test it :D

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have also added an extra channel:

You can use the "Damage Info" channel to have more info about the damages caused to your targets. This channel provide the following text everytime you cause damage to someone else: "[ target name ]: Takes <damage_amount> damage. A total of <total_damage_received> from you."

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm... Will there be a way to turn the channel OFF so it doesn't save to the journal?

More system-type messages from the UI will add to journal bloat for those of us who save it. :(

One thing you might want to add into this, so it's a complete package, is a better way to save the journal file if possible. I'd like to be able to save my journal per game session, or daily at the very least, without having to launch 50 million (yes, an exaggeration) programs before UO starts each time (quickly getting back into game after a crash is paramount)

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm... Will there be a way to turn the channel OFF so it doesn't save to the journal?

More system-type messages from the UI will add to journal bloat for those of us who save it. :(

One thing you might want to add into this, so it's a complete package, is a better way to save the journal file if possible. I'd like to be able to save my journal per game session, or daily at the very least, without having to launch 50 million (yes, an exaggeration) programs before UO starts each time (quickly getting back into game after a crash is paramount)
The chat logging is not finished yet...
Maybe would be better if I make a button for save manually the contents of a tab so you can avoid many problems :p

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ooo... That could definately come in handy! :D
The basic idea was to make button inside the chat settings where you can set the filters for the log and a button for save it. But saving the tab would be better :D
The file will be saved as [hh.mm.ss] ChatLog.txt
Unfortunately there is no way to get the date :/

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since each line in the EC journal is prefixed with a date stamp, could you pull it from there? Say using the last line's date?
That's the really strange thing, with EC they have removed the capability to read the date... Who knows what kind of evil thing you can do with it :D

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just thought about something that would be awesome to add to the logging system...

Could an identifier be added to the beginnings of things said via other means then 'normal chat'? I mean like adding <AC> before things said in alliance chat, <P> for party, <GC> for global chat, etc? The prefix would only appear in the logs, not ingame...

The CC has this to some extent, as it has <Alliance> before things said via alliance chat in the logs. It'd be nice if the EC could do it too!

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just thought about something that would be awesome to add to the logging system...

Could an identifier be added to the beginnings of things said via other means then 'normal chat'? I mean like adding <AC> before things said in alliance chat, <P> for party, <GC> for global chat, etc? The prefix would only appear in the logs, not ingame...

The CC has this to some extent, as it has <Alliance> before things said via alliance chat in the logs. It'd be nice if the EC could do it too!
on CC there is only an extra mark for guild and alliance, I can add also the party.
Global chat no, because is already too long.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An option here might be to drop the char ID# from the logs and replace it with with <GC>, especially since the ID# serves no purpose...
Actually the ID# would prevent the kind of scam that is claimed to have happened at the Atlantic Rares Festival just recently, if people bother to check them.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually the ID# would prevent the kind of scam that is claimed to have happened at the Atlantic Rares Festival just recently, if people bother to check them.
exactly, the ID is also used to report a player in case of harassment and is not a good thing remove it...

Remember that you can choose the color and font face/size for every kind of channel so this extra marker is an extra...

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Remember that you can choose the color and font face/size for every kind of channel so this extra marker is an extra...
How do you change the channel fonts? I can't find the configuration menu for this...