• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Character transfers should be allowed--WITHOUT ITEMS

• Thread starter MoonglowMerchant
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
M

MoonglowMerchant

I understand that EA created character transfers to make some extra gold.

I don't know how much the service is utilized, other than it seems for duping/selling scripted items.

If you want to transfer your character to another shard, that is fine with me. Maybe it is time to make those transfers include the character and nothing else though.

Then, EA could stop wasting time trying to fix character transfer and work on things that actually benefit players.

E

Emil IsTemp

Im still waiting on the in-game fiction to explain how we mere humans can travel between the broken shards of the Gem of Immortality..

S

Sarphus

Character transfers do benefit players.

I'm waiting for character transfers to be active, so I can move a character with his stuff to another shard. This feature certainly benefits me.

M

MoonglowMerchant

I'm waiting for character transfers to be active, so I can move a character with his stuff to another shard. This feature certainly benefits me.
I'm not saying that no one uses it. The question to me is whether the benefits outweigh the costs.

I have no delusions that EA would actually change character transfer in the way I suggested. That would mean that less people used it and less money for them in the short term.

No one at EA seems to have any grasp of the long term. Maybe there isn't one.

:(

All I know is that some guy just traded 20 million in production shard gold for one million in Siege gold. That is how worthless gold has become on production shards.

When gold is that worthless, maybe even the dupers and scripters will quit?

Then what customers will EA have?

R

RavenWinterHawk

I'm not saying that no one uses it. The question to me is whether the benefits outweigh the costs.

I have no delusions that EA would actually change character transfer in the way I suggested. That would mean that less people used it and less money for them in the short term.

No one at EA seems to have any grasp of the long term. Maybe there isn't one.

:(

All I know is that some guy just traded 20 million in production shard gold for one million in Siege gold. That is how worthless gold has become on production shards.

When gold is that worthless, maybe even the dupers and scripters will quit?

Then what customers will EA have?
Just get rid of it.
Does EA make any money off it?

Really?

How many transfer tokens are in game that you dont have to buy one but for game gold?

Its silly.

The sheer problems transfering has caused is not worth my fun of bringing EVENT cloth to atlantic. As much fun as I had, I would be for ending xsharding.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well no kidding!? rolleyes:

Seriously. Shard transfers that allow the transfer of gold or items should come to an abrupt halt. It's really sad that the devs have done nothing about this destructive "feature".

M

MoonglowMerchant

Just get rid of it.
Does EA make any money off it?

Really?

How many transfer tokens are in game that you dont have to buy one but for game gold?

Its silly.

The sheer problems transfering has caused is not worth my fun of bringing EVENT cloth to atlantic. As much fun as I had, I would be for ending xsharding.
Do you think it would be ok if players referred to it as the "Item Duping Service"?

That captures the spirit more than "character transfer" don't you think?

B

Blade_Thugluv

well EA has made a killing of me with xfer tokens. Anytime i couldnt find them for ingame gold i bought them. I am all for keeping the xfer system. I started out on Napa xfered all my chars on my accounts to Lake austin then moved them all to Sonoma. Then i moved all them except 3 to Napa and then back to Lake Austin.

I have brokered Gold to other shards to buy items that are near impossible to get on the shard i am on and then xfered back. People need to stop screaming Nerf this nerf that it will fix the scripters dupers hackers yada yada yada.... you know what the truth is? The dev make the changes everyone whines about and asks for then everyone complains that its hurting the real players.

The problem is xsharding the problem is EA not taking action fast enough or spending enough time tracking down players who cheat. xfer's is not the prob with there being to much gold on all the prod shards. Its the afk scripters and farmers. Taking xsharding out would PO alot of players. Not to mention a number whould quit then game when they get tired of playing one shard and want to go to another but dont want to have to rebuy all the items they had on the other shard or rework chars and have to buy the over priced power scrolls.

everyone complained about scripters lumberjacking and mining afk and how there should be random spawn spots so no one knew what was going to be there a head of time and it would stop scripters. Devs added said system and what happened? Oh yea everyone who complained and wanted the system decides to whine because they dont want it. It didnt stop scripters but it sure made finding that frostwood spot huh? made it harder on you when you needed a type of wood and you had to go lumberjack till you found some. or when you needed valorite ore and had a hard time trying to find a vein huh?

Just face it xsharding is not the issue. EA never said they shut xsharding down because theres a dupe bug out with xsharding now did they? the dupe bug isnt from xsharding. I am willing to bet the reason the xfers are down is because EA is working to ban the people who are doing the heavy duping going on right now. They are prob trying to keep the duped items on the shard or shards they are being duped on so its easyer for them to delete them. ever think of that?

oh and before anyone jumps in here and starts asking how i know that duping doesnt use xsharding to dupe its because someone posted the steps.

im 100% for keeping xsharding as its part of the game for me and the way i play just as it is for alot of the rare collectrs and alot of PvPers who like to take whole guilds to other shards to face guilds they havent fought before to get a change in pace from the normal day to day pvp.

~Blade

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Agreed. The only things a character should have on transfer are:

1. Stats
2. Skills
3. Basic clothing
4. Generated set of newbie items based on top three skills (or 3 at random if more than 3 tie for top)

Transferring items was one of the biggest in-game econommical mistakes they have made.

E

Emil IsTemp

I can go either way on Xshating..

I can see how it benefits people who dont want to make a new character and have to get the gear, get the scrolls, and get the skill..

But also, I dont like how said system was used for exploiting, and left in place for sooo long that the damage is mortal..

Riddle me this.. would we have been better off in the long run if Xshard tokens were never created?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

would we have been better off in the long run if Xshard tokens were never created?

Absolutely.

If people wanted to swap shards, they could have always made a new character and had friends help them build back up. That system worked for a good number of years and didn't end up causing the dupe problems we have had due to the current X-Fer system.

If the devs want to FIX x-sharding, they need to remove the ability to carry over items. (IMO of course)

W

Wallenstein

If the devs want to FIX x-sharding, they need to remove the ability to carry over items. (IMO of course)
As ideal as that sounds, what then would be the point of Xsharding at all? You would literally have to transfer a nude character over to another shard with no gold, no armor, no clothing, no mount(s), no weapon(s), and no items of any sort whatsoever.

The only benefit possible if no items could be transfered would be that you can transfer a naked skill-worked guy to another server with absolutely none of his or her belongings..

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as players cannot transfer on or off Siege. I'm fine with what they do with the program. It doesn't affect me...la

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As ideal as that sounds, what then would be the point of Xsharding at all? You would literally have to transfer a nude character over to another shard with no gold, no armor, no clothing, no mount(s), no weapon(s), and no items of any sort whatsoever.

The only benefit possible if no items could be transfered would be that you can transfer a naked skill-worked guy to another server with absolutely none of his or her belongings..
You don't have to buy new powerscrolls or re-work your skills. That sounds like its enough of a benefit to me. This idea gets 2 thumbs up. :thumbup:

K

Kith Kanan

I hate soulstones too.
Guesse what most of us dont give a diddle about what you hate :)

nothing wrong with SS's and shard xfer is fine too , they just need to freaking hire some GM's that has IQ's higher than soap bar's , and add a freaking decent item id tracking to the game , that would solve duping and item loss due to silly bugs , and make a lot of peopel happy :)

Stop messing with thing that actualy benefits the game , and focus on the core problems , the problem is not xfering duped items , but that peopel can dupe items !!!!!!!!!! Dont want server rares to be xfered , give em special id tag's so they cant be... its realy not that hard...............

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Guesse what most of us dont give a diddle about what you hate :)

nothing wrong with SS's and shard xfer is fine too , they just need to freaking hire some GM's that has iq's higher than soap bar's , and add a freaking decent item id tracking to the game , that would solve duping and item loss due to silly bugs , and make a lot of peopel happy :)
But you know what would solve those problems better, Punkbuster and removing item transfers from the character transfers service.

L

love2winalot

Hail: Well what about your Vet Rewards? What about your Pets you took months to get to GM. What about all the things you collected over the years? A lot of people are forgetting that UO opend with only 2 shards. Some of us Transfered after the 90 day waiting period to a server that was a lot closer than the one we were on.

Yes, Xfers can be taken advantage of. Everything in the game almost, can be taken advantage of. How many players are on LA an Origin that Transfered over there? If the cat keeps getting out of the bag, then getting a better bag is better than just killing the cat, imhop.:heart:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Vet rewards: Unclaimed choices transfer with character, claimed choices stay on shard they are claimed.

K

Kith Kanan

But you know what would solve those problems better, Punkbuster and removing item transfers from the character transfers service.
I would LOVE to get punkbuster , but no need to stop item xfer , just put in a decent item id tracker , I love going to other shards to shop , some shards have extremly dedicated crafters , and some cheap resources , and some times I xfer a toon to play with old friends on other shards , I cant see thats a problem , only problem with xfer is duped items and shard rares , atleast as far as I see it.....

R

Revenant2

I'm grateful that character transfers exist as they do, but wish that the supposed dupe-related bugs didn't exist.

The way that shard transfers are used by brokers to move items and gold around between shards is an entirely different thing. I don't know if the impact of that side of the character transfer operation is overall positive or negative. And if it's negative, I'm not sure what to "fix" about it to make it so that the players who are using it the way it was (presumably) intended to be would not be significantly, negatively impacted.

A

Azazel of LA

Wow moon you sure are on a roll of how to ruin UO eh? AGAIN Im gonna have to disagree wit you on this. I left Chessy years ago and took all my chars with me (at the time only 5) to a fresh start on a new shard (used all in game gold too .... no cash). Now your saying people shouldnt have this option available to them at all because some people abuse it. So far your ideas Ive read on stratics all hurt the honest player. How bout this for a fix , BAN THE CHEATERS. Stop nerfing my UO and punishing me for the acts of others who are cheating. PUNISH THE CHEATERS. Hows that for a fix eh?

R

RavenWinterHawk

I'm grateful that character transfers exist as they do, but wish that the supposed dupe-related bugs didn't exist.

The way that shard transfers are used by brokers to move items and gold around between shards is an entirely different thing. I don't know if the impact of that side of the character transfer operation is overall positive or negative. And if it's negative, I'm not sure what to "fix" about it to make it so that the players who are using it the way it was (presumably) intended to be would not be significantly, negatively impacted.
How about limit account transfers to 2 per month?

L

Loqucious

This would eliminate the need for reducing the number of shards as well.

R

Revenant2

hmmmmm if that really settled the problem, then maybe that's an idea yeah. I could easily live with that limitation personally.

Without an understanding of what problems have developed tho, I can't vouch for if it would solve anything. One char can move 625 items via 5 pack horses, plus his pack contents, plus his bankbox. I don't know what economy issues transfers are driving and if they are negative, if 2x800+ items per month would be a helpful limit, or it's overkill, or it's all pointless.

When I moved once, I moved quite some items too because those items really belonged to that char. It's not like moving a big heap of items will always be broker-like behavior.

S

ShaunOfPac

I don't know how much the service is utilized, other than it seems for duping/selling scripted items.

If you want to transfer your character to another shard, that is fine with me. Maybe it is time to make those transfers include the character and nothing else though.

Then, EA could stop wasting time trying to fix character transfer and work on things that actually benefit players.

I didn't know we still used gold as real life currency. . .

This post is definitely being quoted in "You know you play too much UO when. . ." :)

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't mind if the program is terminated permanently. However, I need to transfer back to my home shard first. They let me transfer elsewhere, let me transfer back now that my business is done. Then, shut it down, no problem.

(They won't be shutting it down permanently, trust me. It will be re-enabled or shards will cluster.)

But, one way this could work is to stop offering transfers on uogamecodes, just allow tokens that already exist to be used for about one month so everyone can get home. Then, eliminate the transfer token's functions from the server code. It will eventually become somewhat of a rare item, thus not totally useless.

F

Flora Green

:thumbdown: No. It's ridiculous that all of this is because the devs can't get their heads out of the sand and actually DO something about cheaters and dupes. I have transferred and plan to do so again soon. "MY" stuff will go with me. Stop screwing the honest players.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Perhaps things would make a little more sense to you if you took the time to read EA's own description of the character transfer service (http://www.uogamecodes.com/store/prod_detail.asp?ProdID=UOCHARTRANSFER) and why they believe people use it:

• To meet up with friends who are playing on another shard.
  • To move to a shard with a more beneficial economy.
  • To meet new friends and take part in a new community.

Gee...all the reasons I've used the service and loved it. If my using it put a couple of extra bucks in EA's coffers, so what. My use of the service has certainly kept me playing quite a bit longer than I would have otherwise and also allowed me to get more characters started on shards I never would have considered otherwise (e.g., Origin) because they are so sparsely populated and it's difficult to find much of what you need.

S

Sarphus

I'd be totally fine with this. I am an honest player... I rarely use the functionality of a character transfer, but would hate to see the system go away entirely because I do use it sometimes.

Tek

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are people who x-shard for legitimate reasons – rare & item collectors looking to trade or purchase items, pvp guilds looking for new challenges, people who want to either move from a large shard to a quiet one (and visa versa), guilds looking to build towns or areas and change in persons physical location for better ‘ping’ rate. I have a friend who moved his char and belongings to an Asian shard for a better ping rate when he was transferred overseas.

By eliminating the ability to transfer items would just increase the need of gold brokers, similar to what players do when moving to Siege. People would sell there items and gold to a broker on the old shard in exchange for gold / items on the new shard, minus the ‘exchange’ fee. So the player transferring would lose money and only the gold brokers would benefit.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
anyone who uses char transfers more than once a month is a duper trying to sell his wares. it'd take someone completely blind--like mebbe the devs--to not realize this.

E

Emil IsTemp

To meet up with friends who are playing on another shard.
To move to a shard with a more beneficial economy.
To meet new friends and take part in a new community.
Wow, what game are you playing? UO has these!?

A

Azazel of LA

anyone who uses char transfers more than once a month is a duper trying to sell his wares. it'd take someone completely blind--like mebbe the devs--to not realize this.

Not true at all , I know people who transfer to shards to buy rares mutiple times a month and they are not dupers. Just because this is how some dupers spread their gold , doesnt mean that everyone who does it is a duper.

F

Flora Green

Not true at all , I know people who transfer to shards to buy rares mutiple times a month and they are not dupers. Just because this is how some dupers spread their gold , doesnt mean that everyone who does it is a duper.
Quite right. Also, people who decide to transfer and want to move all of their characters. 5-7 transfers in a month may seem a lot to some, but not when you want your entire account on another shard at once. I have characters on various shards, some are holding pieces of rubble I transferred for an haven't brought home. Others are fully established characters that I simply don't want to bother moving yet. If/when I do I'll have several transfers in a short time just to get everyone back where they belong.

P

PoCove

I X-shard regulary .. I bring cash to but things i need (want) to my home shard ..I am not a duper or do I have a clue how to...

Laina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If UO would get rid of the cheaters this wouldn't even be an issue. I don't cross-shard a whole lot myself (couple times a year maybe?) but I do like the feature and would like to continue to use it. It's not all about duping. PvP'ers use it to bounce around shards, guilds go over to different shards to fight champ spawns or dark fathers, rares collectors sell their wares etc etc. Sometimes people just want a change. I know when i moved from a crowded shard to a less populated one, I would have loved to be able to just move characters and gold. Instead I started from scratch since xsharding was not available.

I am tired of the arguments in favor of punishing/taking away something from the honest player because of cheaters/dupers. Just get rid of the bug that allows the dupe in the first place. Ban the people doing it, delete the items/gold, and do it faster...

M

MoonglowMerchant

Perhaps things would make a little more sense to you if you took the time to read EA's own description of the character transfer service (http://www.uogamecodes.com/store/prod_detail.asp?ProdID=UOCHARTRANSFER) and why they believe people use it:

• To meet up with friends who are playing on another shard.
  • To move to a shard with a more beneficial economy.
  • To meet new friends and take part in a new community.

Gee...all the reasons I've used the service and loved it. If my using it put a couple of extra bucks in EA's coffers, so what. My use of the service has certainly kept me playing quite a bit longer than I would have otherwise and also allowed me to get more characters started on shards I never would have considered otherwise (e.g., Origin) because they are so sparsely populated and it's difficult to find much of what you need.
You can do all that without character transfer.

You can do all that with naked transfer.

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If Transfers bother you so much, why don't you go play on Siege? Oh that's right, you do!

Why do you have a problem? Siege doesn't have transfers of any type, is it really that important to you to require everyone else to adhere to your playstyle?:bdh::wall:

M

MoonglowMerchant

If Transfers bother you so much, why don't you go play on Siege? Oh that's right, you do!

Why do you have a problem? Siege doesn't have transfers of any type, is it really that important to you to require everyone else to adhere to your playstyle?:bdh::wall:
My problem is that development resources keep getting wasted to fix repeated issues with character transfer.

That affects Siege too.

Tek

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From my understanding transferring characters is not how the duping is done.
Instead they shut it down to contain the duped items from going to multiple shards, which means they don’t spend any resources on ‘fixing’ the character transfer but the actual dupe method itself, which can also occur on Siege.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Umm, no you can't.

If you want to change shards to play with old friends, what is the point of doing it and leaving all your stuff and your house on your old shard?

Also, if you have stuff you want to sell in the better economy of a new shard, a naked transfer won't cut it either.

If you're going to a shard where you have nothing already, a naked transfer means you start at the bottom building up a new suit, gold, and other items. Oh....forgot...naked transfers might just be a godsend for gold brokers established on all shards. They would probably be tickled pink to trade for your items on the old shard so you can buy it back from them at inflated prices on your new shard. How silly of me not to think of this one.

Yep yep. Always has to be some sort of catch when you see the same old names promoting lame ideas like this. They have figured out in advance how they're going to profit from it and they just hope everyone is too stupid to notice and will just buy into their argument that the current situation is the root of all woes in UO.

By the way, character transfers haven't been down for this length of time in a long long time so it's kind of silly to claim that they are using up lots of development resources. For all we know, transfers are down for something completely unrelated to what you suspect (i.e., duping). Could be that character transfers are down for the same reason we've been having problems with logging in.

M

MoonglowMerchant

Umm, no you can't.

If you want to change shards to play with old friends, what is the point of doing it and leaving all your stuff and your house on your old shard?

Also, if you have stuff you want to sell in the better economy of a new shard, a naked transfer won't cut it either.

If you're going to a shard where you have nothing already, a naked transfer means you start at the bottom building up a new suit, gold, and other items. Oh....forgot...naked transfers might just be a godsend for gold brokers established on all shards. They would probably be tickled pink to trade for your items on the old shard so you can buy it back from them at inflated prices on your new shard. How silly of me not to think of this one.

Yep yep. Always has to be some sort of catch when you see the same old names promoting lame ideas like this. They have figured out in advance how they're going to profit from it and they just hope everyone is too stupid to notice and will just buy into their argument that the current situation is the root of all woes in UO.

By the way, character transfers haven't been down for this length of time in a long long time so it's kind of silly to claim that they are using up lots of development resources. For all we know, transfers are down for something completely unrelated to what you suspect (i.e., duping). Could be that character transfers are down for the same reason we've been having problems with logging in.

The only profit I see in naked character transfer is that it will free up development resources to work on in-game content.

It is ironic that you accuse me of hoping to profit from the idea when it is you who admits to profiting through cross shard sales.

Relax, it is never going to happen. Like all bad things in UO, EA makes too much money from it to consider the good of the game.