• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Character building question

S

Salty Pete

I have an old PK/PvP mage character from a few publishes back. He is a 7xGM scribe mage (yes a LOT of publishes back.) I was looking for suggestions on how to modernize this character. I was thinking about turning him into a heavily defense oriented character. I am not looking for the over powered template of month or anything like that, but I would like this character to be capable of PvP.

Since I don't plan on having millions to buy the super artifact suit and a bunch of 120 scrolls I am looking for ways to be effective with 110 scrolls and/or simply GM skills if possible.

D

Dor of Sonoma

As you well know, I've little experience with spellcasters (save for getting killed by them :)

However, I did put together a fairly decent fighter over on Siege. I'll have to take a look at that template and get back to you. You'd probably hate it though...I was trying to stay oldschool all the way so, for instance, I eschewed friggerty mana on a melee character (and thus special moves and chivalry and crap). Very hard to take down, however! ;-D

S

Salty Pete

I took this mage out of mothballs last night to see if he was capable of being used in the modern era and he was laughably bad. Even Salty Pete is a better character as he can at least GET to dangerous spawns.

S

Salty Pete

Just realized I forgot to put my current template down... This mage has these skills right now:

GM Magery
GM Meditation
GM Eval
GM Wrestling
GM Inscription
GM Resist
GM Hiding

I already have a pretty good Necro/Mage, a Tamer/Mage, a Beggar/Mage and a Bard/Mage.... I am thinking this guy should be some kind of warrior. Or maybe a thief?

N

noxyoursox

Take off hiding and 120 ure med eval resist and wrestling and magery if u want...u can get by with 110 magery.

R

Rose of GOR

I suggest taking hiding and inscribe off and adding parry to the template , maybe even some chiv if you want to go defensive. Anywhere in the range of 45-65 for the remove curse, divine fury, and if you don't want to pick up 120s its not really a problem. 115s will function and they are not completely unreasonable to obtain. A template might look like

115 mage
110 med
115 eval
115 parry
110 wrest
110 resist
45 Chiv
Or some variation on those numbers depending on how you would want to fiddle with it. Then you are gonna wanna stack DCI on the character if you want to play defensive. GL

S

Salty Pete

I suggest taking hiding and inscribe off and adding parry to the template , maybe even some chiv if you want to go defensive. Anywhere in the range of 45-65 for the remove curse, divine fury, and if you don't want to pick up 120s its not really a problem. 115s will function and they are not completely unreasonable to obtain. A template might look like

115 mage
110 med
115 eval
115 parry
110 wrest
110 resist
45 Chiv
Or some variation on those numbers depending on how you would want to fiddle with it. Then you are gonna wanna stack DCI on the character if you want to play defensive. GL
Is parry effective with below 40 dex?

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would do as Nox suggests, just 120 the skills. Scribe mages are pretty fun to run and you can swap out skills for a variety of game play.

For instance you can stone off Wrestle, add a bit of necro for corpse skin for added damage, or swap it out for spellweaving to use essence of wind, wods, or chiv and use a sc mage wep. Very versatile.

If you want an entirely new template, don't mess this one up, just build yourself another mage.