• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] changed thread to discussion

tehfloof

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been checking forums and em site for scedual and nothing, now i come to find there was an event. Really. I'm so tired of the ems

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been checking forums and em site for scedual and nothing, now i come to find there was an event. Really. I'm so tired of the ems
It was on Stratics , the EM Site + on twitter. It was also the event that was postponed from June 30th.

The guy is also having a kid in days time.

Sheesh

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
offering 150mil. there are at least 3 different people on atl right now spamming gen chat selling from 200-300mil

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
yes, it was just announced yestarday... thats not enough time to plan
Sometimes EMs have to do things when they can instead of giving advanced notice like they'd like to. Just recently I, myself promised to do something on Catskills with some friends and ended up having to not show up because I had a doctor appointment and the doctor called to change at the last minute. Stuff happens. Bennu did his best to give notice of the event. Considering his wife can give birth at any time I can sorta understand the spontaneous event schedule. Sometimes we forget that the EMs are just regular people and sometimes stuff comes up.
We all try to go to as many events as possible, and I know how much it sucks to miss an event. I don't blame you for being annoyed you missed it. But it was done one a Sunday evening which is good for people who work 9-5 on weekdays. And even if you didn't check the forum/twitter/whatever general chat was buzzing about it for quite some time.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dont see what that has to do with anything
Your example that Atlantic events have been poorly organized, was the first event on Atlantic for the Oceania EM back on April 5th.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, it was just announced yestarday... thats not enough time to plan
To plan?! Plan for what?? You just arrive and fight some big boss. Even a newbie Mage in a sorcerers suit has a chance for a drop now.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To plan?! Plan for what?? You just arrive and fight some big boss. Even a newbie Mage in a sorcerers suit has a chance for a drop now.
You need to give them more credit than that. It's not as easy as it sounds. Perhaps a little bit of enlightenment will help diffuse this subject. I've never been an EM so what I say below may not be 100% correct.

1. EM comes up with a plan for their events from story building, dialog, what monsters to use and what type of skills, the loot if any, location, design all that takes time in advance.

2. Then that plan gets submitted to someone else for approval, not sure if it's still Mesanna since she is now the producer and very busy with other things. But this someone else/s has to take time to build this story, create the settings, items, monsters, etc... and that takes time because all items to them under creation mode looks different than our normal game play (i could be wrong here).

3. So think about 15-20 events per week on average in all of UO and if all the designs and creations goes to 1 or 2 people to do, you can imagine how much time this takes up.

4. The EMs are only paid certain hours per week, they are not full time. But if you count the number of hours they devote to the creation of events which is directly proportional to the number of events they hold each week/month it looks to me they are working 2-3x on what they are getting paid for. And if they are getting paid $10/hour, for the amount of work they do, they are really getting paid $3.33/hour. Based on that alone, they deserve all of my respect and will never hear a complaint from me.

5. Not all events are for everyone, I find some kind of boring myself but others love it just fine. So it's different strokes for different folks. You may experience more of this if you only play one shard which is why i play on many shards so that while I may miss an event here or there I am sure to catch one somewhere else and if I don't like the content I can wait for the next one. It's all about how much you want to invest in this game to make it worth your while and keep it fun.

ivester77

Business. That's all it ever is...business.
Stratics Veteran
honestly i hope we get more of them or the counsler program comes back full force to help out with better events i heard our em is having a baby and thats why this event was rushed i missed it as well

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bennu Is my favorite EM. Consider it a privilege that on Atlantic we even get a monthly schedule. Some shards ALL events are only announced 2 or 3 days prior by practice. Its summer so i understand people are busy, this event had been postponed and was rescheduled for last night. Ive never seen an event like that and had lots of fun killing all the EMs Bennu is a perfect match for Atlantic Shard. Very hard events, very good at keeping over 100 people (and maybe 200 characters) occupied with even just staying alive.

tehfloof

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just wanted to clarify a few things.

1- I appologize for hijacking the thread but I was frustrated. I don't attend events often, but of the ones I have everything has gone wrong from cheaters being allowed to cheat, to chaos.

2- I had no idea about anyone having a baby, nor that we had another new EM.

3- I checked the posts/ website Friday and when I didn't see a scedual I made plans for the weekend assuming nothing was going to happen. Of course, comming home to find that there had been an event that evening with little to notice upset me.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I just wanted to clarify a few things.

1- I appologize for hijacking the thread but I was frustrated. I don't attend events often, but of the ones I have everything has gone wrong from cheaters being allowed to cheat, to chaos.

2- I had no idea about anyone having a baby, nor that we had another new EM.

3- I checked the posts/ website Friday and when I didn't see a scedual I made plans for the weekend assuming nothing was going to happen. Of course, comming home to find that there had been an event that evening with little to notice upset me.
Current circumstances with EM Bennu expecting a baby aside, I can't argue with your logic tehfloof, or that of anyone else who has posted here on this subject. I can only personally advocate that all Event Moderators select a regular date and time which is convenient for the players on their shard, or at the very least schedule their events out a week in advanced with a caveat that they don't cancel these said events unless absolutely necessary, and hopefully with a 24 hour notice.

I am personally extremely appreciative to @EM Avalon ; @EM Borbarad ; @EM Elizabella ; @EM Malachi ; @EM_Vereor ; @EMWillow who dedicate themselves to a set a consistent date and time in order to accommodate those of us who like to schedule our real lives around our favorite game. I also respect those EMs who do their best to advertise their event schedules in as many locations as possible which includes, but not limited to stratics, uoem.net, facebook, twitter and town criers.

In all actuality we have it much better today than we ever did in the past regarding the announcement of events. I remember when event hosts would only announce events on the day of the event using their own personal method to signal there might be an event which was only characteristic of that shard. Example Catskills would put out a lantern or a sword at Castle British, and you had to check every evening to see if it was there to know if there might be an event, and then 20+ players would stalk the throne room like it was an idoc, and many times just like an idoc, you would never know when it was going to happen or if it would go OSI.

Heh I amuse myself, that reminded me of a story my grandparents might say when they say, "You kids have it so good today, I used to walk 5 miles in snow shoes to school, and I liked it!"

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
honestly i hope we get more of them or the counsler program comes back full force to help out with better events i heard our em is having a baby and thats why this event was rushed i missed it as well
Counselors wont have anything to do with events or the EMs. I also really doubt shards will be getting more EM's. These are not the days of UO where we have 2 EMs on every shard. The game population doesn't justify it.

ivester77

Business. That's all it ever is...business.
Stratics Veteran
thank you guys sorry for hijacking im new lol :) but love all the subjects etc uo rules !!!!!

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A regular event schedule would be an amazing feature. If every shard EM could get together and choose dates that were on a permanent basis i think they would all see a lot more participation. If our regular/seasoned vets are having trouble finding event times, schedules or keeping up with story lines just imagine how hard it would be for a new player to do so.

Putting one website with all shard event schedules on a calendar instead of having them spread among individual shards would be much more efficient for players. As of right now If i have a night off and want to do an event I have to click on every shard and hope for a schedule posted.

Also Getting into a story line midway through is hard to do as well. Having a back log of all the stories that have lead up to the event would be amazing.

With that said, the ems do put a lot of work in and im sure it is frustrating for them to hear complaints about their work all the time. I personally do no think it is possible to satisfy everyone both in RL and the game, so i applaud them for trying to do so. Their work is never ending and they do an amazing job at trying to give people a night of fun and community.

In closing i would like to quote @EM_Bennu "Mystery Drama and Variety are the spices of life. You do not need to see the gear or count the cogs to know the watch works."