• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Challenge to our platinum members!

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I constantly see people post on how easy it is to earn gold these days. I think I may have between 150-200m on all of my accounts combined and that is from many, many years. I want to challenge those people to explain some of these ways to make gold. I am hoping that this may help any new or returning players. The stipulations are:
  • they need to be ways that newer players or returning players can do with new or outdated gear, weapons, or pets
  • no IDOCs
  • no Events (some may be on EJ accounts)
  • does not require being scrolled to the max
This is not to turn into a troll fest or argument arena. This is mainly for new and returning players to look at and hopefully make some gold to catch up with the rest. I will be thread banning people who are negative, trolling, or attacking others. Lets use this to help and encourage any new or returning players.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I constantly see people post on how easy it is to earn gold these days. I think I may have between 150-200m on all of my accounts combined and that is from many, many years. I want to challenge those people to explain some of these ways to make gold. I am hoping that this may help any new or returning players. The stipulations are:
  • they need to be ways that newer players or returning players can do with new or outdated gear, weapons, or pets
  • no IDOCs
  • no Events (some may be on EJ accounts)
  • does not require being scrolled to the max
This is not to turn into a troll fest or argument arena. This is mainly for new and returning players to look at and hopefully make some gold to catch up with the rest. I will be thread banning people who are negative, trolling, or attacking others. Lets use this to help and encourage any new or returning players.
I make roughly 80% of my gold buying and reselling on VS. Learn fair prices, I started buying tangles at 10-14m and reselling for 17-20m. Sometimes I just VS 25 EP and legendary, and pick the jewels I know are way underpriced and toss them on my vendor for 10x more. Lots of deals on VS if you look hard. The only thing I dont touch is PS. That market is too volatile for me. It's kind of a boring way to make money, but it works.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Frodo The Great

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I make gold by Hunting/Trading

I understand some of this is not SUPER easy for brand new players or returning players straight away but its something to work towards! if returning they already have the skills and char, just need a little gear and off you go.

For Example;
- The new Pirate Loot, 200k for a Shield that sells for 25-35mil a piece.
- Andros (Despise) you can get a Quiver drop thats 60m or so a piece.
- The Roof, Cameos, Robe.. lots of stuff from there that is worth a fair bit of money.
- Champ Spawns are easy enough to Solo these days with all the gear we have some 120s are worth a fair share of money and the gold that drops with it.
- Meli, easy to solo with Fire dmg and discordance, Hair dyes, Crimsons and such come from her.
- Taming, Taming the right animal, training it up to 100/100 you can sell for abit, no need for power scrolls at the moment, some people enjoy training the rest themselves.
- Keys! People are paying 5mil at the moment on Atlantic for a set of the Exodus keys! if you farmed enough of them you could make a pretty decent amount of money from that.

As for trading;
- Buy things at a cheaper price. Normally you can pick some good items up that people are trying to get rid of for cheap and you can sell at retail price. some people actually want to just get rid of their items for gold rather than have them sticking around waiting to sell, if you can find these people you can literally earn double what you pay for it.

It all comes down to what the player is wanting to do if that makes sense, if they enjoy fighting and taking part in things then hunting is the way forward and a VERY good and easy was to make money, i would also LOVE to hear what other people do to make money! this is a brilliant way for people all over to learn the ways of money making in Ultima Online!

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Garg Thrower doing underwater boss on atl. There are always people doing it, drops tons of legendaries. it will not only suit up all of your toons but here and there you might get a legendary worth good money.

garg throwers dont need to be 120 to be effective. I wrote up a training post on how to train them up with no starting gold what so ever.

I did UW boss on ATL for about 5 days straight. Took the legendary pieces i liked and bagged up the rest. I then gave @Captn Norrington those bags for his auction. Some bags made over 200m, some only 10-20m.

link to gargoyle training post. Join the Ultima Online Discord Server!

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have to say that there is a difference in new and returning players. New players should focus on building skills and how to work their char before gold IMO.
Returning players probably have some sense of how the game works and some, if not all, skills already built.

I try and give ideas and places for new players to work skills. This varies widely due to so many skills and play styles available.
Returning players with basic built skills can try Miasma, Troglodytes and a few of the mini bosses in the Abyss for gold and imbuing items to sell.
Bods can be quite profitable if given the time to collect them.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly for truly new players making gold I suggest Malas level 2 maps. A basic GM level mystic mage can pretty easily do 30 maps in a couple hours (both collecting the maps in the doom dark guardian room and digging them up). That is 1 million in gold plus pinks/blues to sell.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Start a miner and mine saltpeter and sell it back to the NPCs. Most shards are at or over 300gp per , which you can sell back to them 500 at a time, the price drops every 1000 bought back, but you can make quite a bit, of course it takes time to mine the SP. Another easy way is start out with a certain amount of gold, and run around and buy things from one NPC and sell them to another , a lot of times you can double your money in a single transaction. I tested this a few days ago and no lie, I made 800k in about 20 minutes doing this.
Combine this with blacksmith and do bulk orders when you get bored mining - sell rewards, aim for powder of fortification

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Grabbing bods and searching VS is quite easy

The methods described do not end with using vendor search and grabbing bods. That'd be like saying that you can make money just by searching e-bay. No, you also have to research the prices, have enough money to buy the item, have a market to re-sell it to, etc.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The methods described do not end with using vendor search and grabbing bods. That'd be like saying that you can make money just by searching e-bay. No, you also have to research the prices, have enough money to buy the item, have a market to re-sell it to, etc.
Exactly, just research. Very easy. About 2 months ago I got a legendary ring on VS at 150k and resold for 10m. Easy money. If you can read you can work VS. Even new players can make a few hundred thousand easy. You dont have to start at 10m items, you can resell pof sometimes at a mark up.

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If your talking fresh off the boat, with the 1000gp you start with.

In Haven, buying cloth, turning into bandies and selling to healers. I have made between 80-100k within a few hours, generally enough to buy a basic training suit up and be on your merry way to start training.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Exactly, just research. Very easy. About 2 months ago I got a legendary ring on VS at 150k and resold for 10m. Easy money. If you can read you can work VS. Even new players can make a few hundred thousand easy. You dont have to start at 10m items, you can resell pof sometimes at a mark up.

Actually that isn't easy at all. You had to have the 150,000 to start with. You had to through experience know what you could sell high and what you could not sell high. You had to know you had potential buyers. Probably means you have a slate of folks you sell to regularly, and you can get them what they want. ("I know a guy who'd love this.....")

For my part, despite having played for many years, the buying and selling game isn't easy for me. Never has been. These days I even have a hard time selling items that I get from loot, even when both research and discussion suggests "this is a good item that should sell for millions." Years ago I made a lot of money merchanting, but my markets dried up years ago.

I think that for some reason many posters in this thread seem to lose an important distinction: Just because something is doable doesn't mean it's easy. Just because it's something that's within your skills set doesn't mean it's within mine.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Actually that isn't easy at all. You had to have the 150,000 to start with. You had to through experience know what you could sell high and what you could not sell high. You had to know you had potential buyers. Probably means you have a slate of folks you sell to regularly, and you can get them what they want. ("I know a guy who'd love this.....")

For my part, despite having played for many years, the buying and selling game isn't easy for me. Never has been. These days I even have a hard time selling items that I get from loot, even when both research and discussion suggests "this is a good item that should sell for millions." Years ago I made a lot of money merchanting, but my markets dried up years ago.

I think that for some reason many posters in this thread seem to lose an important distinction: Just because something is doable doesn't mean it's easy. Just because it's something that's within your skills set doesn't mean it's within mine.
Ok disregard then....

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

In Haven, buying cloth, turning into bandies and selling to healers. I have made between 80-100k within a few hours, generally enough to buy a basic training suit up and be on your merry way to start training.
This is how the game should be played. You found a way to make the most of what the game started you with. Almost 20yrs ago when I started playing, I made my first 25k at Moonglow cemetery, it took me a few weeks but damned if I wasn't proud of myself.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Join a party in Blackthorn's basement. Someone else tanks the captain, I hit a few times, still get 1-3 Minax items. Sell the Minax items at the going rate.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is how the game should be played. You found a way to make the most of what the game started you with. Almost 20yrs ago when I started playing, I made my first 25k at Moonglow cemetery, it took me a few weeks but damned if I wasn't proud of myself.
How many people do you estimate start playing UO with no prior knowledge of the game, or a friend that has/does play? I do agree that's the real spirit of UO. But that spirit died long ago, and the current situation is different. New players that stay (which I'd argue is a low % based on my experience) want the shinys faster. When we started waiting to get a veteran robe or ethereal was so feasible. The game is heavily item based now, especially pvp. I try to bend that learning curve by giving any new player I find on atl at least a million gold to start. Otherwise their heads explode when searching VS. 1 million gold is not an unreasonable starting amount on Atlantic. I tell new players all the time that ask how to make gold, I tell them earn 20-40m on their own, over that time watch - tangle (this was my best flipper for a long time), ethereals, crystal portals, commodity deed boxs, CC, blackthorns, despicable quiver, LBG sash replica, forged metal of artifacts, hawkwinds robe, conj. Garb, and slither. These are the items I found are the best flippers. Just search them once or twice a day, you will see the patterns. I dont work VS much anymore, so feel free to use these exact items in your VS endeavors. You will make gold if consistent.

I apologize @DreadLord Lestat for the ramble, punish me if you must but let the peons use my system!

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
My very first money making effort was raiding the left behind dragon corpses in Destard. Lots of folks training their pets there ignored the loot so I would grab everything I could and sell it to the NPC's. Bought my first 100% LRC suit that way. Did I make a plat in the first month. No, but it did put me on the path to success and the gold was easy.

*Tips his hat and reviews his old ledgers for more ideas*

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The players with Plats got most of them from buying and reselling things. Items, houses and recently pets.

Bane Dragons were 100 to 150M a couple years ago, now they are 1P+. Pet Tactics scrolls are always on the rise.

I have done the NPC apples or Arrows thing to make some gold when bored.

Last edited:

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I started out, I went to the various NPCs selling things like arrows, bolts, ingots........stuff that had a good buyer base........and, taking a sample along with me, I would make note of the selling/buying prices at each town. When I found a large enough disparity in selling/buying prices, I would buy from the low seller and sell to the high buyer. A couple years ago, I discovered someone had bought the arrows from the Luna NPC until they had the price over 120/arrow (which was insane or they had more gold than time). I ran around buying for around 25-40/arrow and sold for around 60-90/arrow, IIRC. I made several million gold that night just doing that. Granted, I have never before or since seen that kind of price on arrows, but you get the idea.......just on a smaller profit margin.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Bane Dragons were 100 to 150M a couple years ago, now they are 1P+. Pet Tactics scrolls are always on the rise.
Regardless of stats on it? I have one in a stable, never been trained other than just working it's skills. I have 2 Dread Mares as well untrained other than skills.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Regardless of stats on it? I have one in a stable, never been trained other than just working it's skills. I have 2 Dread Mares as well untrained other than skills.
Yes right now others are buying Banes for 1Plat + and Dreads for 800M. I wouldn't buy for that price.

Neither of those pet Types have a wide range for intensity so if you know how to build them you can make anything work. Especially the PvP builds.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Rewards from the Blackthorn's Dungeon turn-ins. They drop at a high rate now, so if you have a small to moderate sized group - or run with a guild that can get a larger group to do down there - farm the drops until you have enough for a turn in for the Crimson Cincture or Mace & Shield helm. If you play a couple of complete rounds, from start to finishing the tower - you should have enough for one of the higher end items.

If willing to step up the difficulty to a more moderate level, alot of good gear falls on the corpse of Exodus, the Underwater Boss, and the final boss of the Shadowguard (Roof) encounter. Good chance for some valuable artifacts at those places, too. Those fights will require a group and learning some mechanics, but not out of the realm of possibility for a casual player to get good at it and knock out a few runs here and there during the week.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
One of the more consistent ways of making gold for me has always been to grind new content early and sell the rewards that are desired (supply/demand at its finest). Most recent example is Krampus. I killed several in the first few days and ended up with 2 whip recipes and a star and sold those for hundreds of millions (combined total). Impatient people will always pay more to be the first to have the goods before a market value settles.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Farming and selling the most wanted shard bound items from the Treasures of ... events. Put them on a commission vendor and wait, they will sell even overpriced sooner or later.

That Guy

Visitor
UNLEASHED
ant Quests gets you bags of sending and powder of translocation both sell very quik on a vendor made my first 100 mil this way

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Selling items from the online UOStore 75M per 1000 Sov. Yes I am buying gold and giving my cash to EA not a RMT site.
Your the one undercutting the market. Alot of us have always said 1000 Sov should be 100mil.

Idoc can make gold if your the lucky one that don't receive just bags and runes.

Then you have buy low sell high. But you need to be prepared to hold items for a while. I have around 2 plat wroth of items but as soon as I go to sell the market gets flooded so need to hold for a while at times.

Em events you need the sell the item that day or the next for the big payday. Or wait it out a year

Malta

Adventurer
Governor
UNLEASHED
Make a melee character. Go to fel, kill turkeys. Collect feathers (double resources in fel) and sell to NPC's. Average price per feather is 10gp, making a turkey worth 1,500gp. You can start new and make 100k/hr this way without any help.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your the one undercutting the market. Alot of us have always said 1000 Sov should be 100mil.
VS on Atl for Soulstone Tokens can be had for a little less than 75M and up so maybe you should let everybody know because that is what I base my prices on when I have extra Sovs

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Killing troglodytes at the painted caves and collecting the gold is by far the easiest and most straightforward way I’ve seen to make gold for a beginner. All you need is an imbued suit and one trained character.

Each trog has about 1,000 gold on it, instant respawn, and they die in like 3 hits. Bring a few bags of sending, keep sending piles of 60k gold to the bank. You can very easily make a million or two per day doing it, and it’s guaranteed unlike hoping for a boss drop. Boring yes, but a great place to build income.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whetstones.

Learn the hows, wheres, & whens... how to get items needed, where mini bosses spawn, & when to go to Fel for the 100% drop chance. Don’t go on weekends. Don’t go in early evening when folks just get home from work/school.

The 3 items dropped by mini bosses can be instantly insured just incase. Easiest/Quickest way I’ve found is using a gargoyle mystic discord bard. Easy mils once the toon is trained up. May take couple wks to train up but if u can’t handle time for training so u can make easy mils... u may need a new game.

Painted Elves

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Pick the cotton and turn into cloth then bandies, pure profit, more work but all profit lol
I did this so much, and finally had a bard friend peace ettins for me to kill then ogre lords LOL

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pick the cotton and turn into cloth then bandies, pure profit, more work but all profit lol
I did this so much, and finally had a bard friend peace ettins for me to kill then ogre lords LOL
I started on Moonglow in 1998. Did the cotton until I felt capable enough to brave the moongates. I ended up in Yew eventually and learned the sheep respawn damn fast, so wool it was! Shear, kill sheep, rinse and repeat. Respawn within seconds of last kill. Go to tailor, spin yarn, weave cloth, cut bandies, sell. Can do pretty well if you wanna put in the time and effort.

Last edited:

Ning

Journeyman
Moonglow 99 here. I wasn't savvy enough to do much but whack skeles. Unfortunately on Sonoma a guild of unsavory types called OCH claimed it as theirs and hassled me mercilessly. Many times I stopped at their vendor house outside town to buy back my maces and such they liberated from me. Ahh the good old days.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Join a guild. Don't be an idiot. Participate in stuff. Chances are you will get hooked up with gear and advice.

Also, miasma is easy money. Scorpion slayer, suit with 70 phys/poison. Sell the maps in the chests. Build up a lockpicker.

samaelmcgovern

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Actually by far the easiest way to make money for new or returning player is by doing trade orders ... I dedicate half and hour a day and make very good money with the right pinks

Also troglodytes or fan dancers are very easy and you get very good money

Ning

Journeyman
Centaurs in Ilsh are easy no-agro farming for a newer player or a returning one. They drop 80+ arrows per and you can get thousands in an hour or so. Actually I'm farting around doing that now after seeing some of the npc prices on them.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Centaurs in Ilsh are easy no-agro farming for a newer player or a returning one. They drop 80+ arrows per and you can get thousands in an hour or so. Actually I'm farting around doing that now after seeing some of the npc prices on them.
Can sell arrows to Players doing Beacons if the NPC buy back is low.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Please do, others should be doing this as well. The devs in their infinite lack of wisdom didn't take into account that most players won't do this, thus causing the price of the more commonly used items; arrows/bolts/salt peter..etc to build up to a certain gold per status, only to sit that way for eternity.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
any new player that makes an archer first will run out of gold and arrows due to the cost of said arrows. they will think this is stupid and leave the game. they may buy fletching on the archer like i did many years ago lol

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Miners and lumberjacks to supply goods or to sell to NPC. Basic swordsperson to get feathers and add fletcher to Miner/Lumberjack to make arrows.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Be opportunist and be ready to grind new (limited time) content for stuff that is sure to be hot items. Stuff like lord morph Eps, tabards, 50 sdi books are just a few examples from recent events gone by.
They seem to have more stuff lined up for this year.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Be opportunist and be ready to grind new (limited time) content for stuff that is sure to be hot items. Stuff like lord morph Eps, tabards, 50 sdi books are just a few examples from recent events gone by.
They seem to have more stuff lined up for this year.
100% this. Especially when talking about something like "Treasures of" where even newer players with some skills can collect drops and pick what they get and sell that item. Even the dynamic champ spawns when they first launch are very easy for newbie mage to heal some people and cast blade spirits to get their first drop and then sell that drop for 40-50m (depending what it is).

segmentman

Adventurer
I go back to just before AoS.....02 some time. I recall sitting at an auction and people freaking out because an item sold for an astronomical 750,000.00.......yes, the old days. I am not a returning player but have been active since day one, take breaks here n there........I fish. I am learning to pirate......vendors, I knew, past tense, it cost me too much to keep stuff on vendors as I couldn't afford the daily fees.......is this still the case?

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No, there are commision vendors now, they use house storage, and take like 5% once an item sells. Better option if play on a smaller shard.