• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Rares Fest Caution: This also is not an official auction house

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
The owner of the house I previously posted about has opened another auction house. While it could be argued that the prior house was only accidentally similar to the official auction houses, this one leaves no question as to its intent to look like it is an official auction house.

This individual is claiming to be the "RaresFest item submission house". This, and his comments in game just now (after banning myself and another person from the house), make clear his intention to try to steal items from unsuspecting players.

coal-scam.png

Please be advised that the 2 Traders Auction houses and the 4 Silent Auction houses are the ONLY official Sakura Rares Festival auction houses. The ONLY house for item submissions is the Traders Auction House #2, in any of the 4 mailboxes:

Additionally, I am out of town until the 1st, and @Captn Norrington is out of town until the 2nd. We both carry festival lanterns on our characters. Do not drop off auction items anywhere but these 4 mailboxes, and do not give any items, or payments for items, to anyone with our names who is not carrying a festival lantern. I would suggest also confirming our identity via ICQ even in that case.

I hope everyone has a good and safe new year, both in game and in real life. Please take appropriate care!

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You appear, also, to be looking for someone who doesn't know the difference between tacking and taking.
He may be tacking the items, you don't know what he is doing with them. :p Aside from very clearly trying to steal them that is. Sadly though, despite this thread and in game warnings, I bet his plan to steal does work and he gets something from someone. If anyone plans to be on for an extended period then perhaps they can plant a renamed packy or something there warning of the scam.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He may be tacking the items, you don't know what he is doing with them. :p Aside from very clearly trying to steal them that is. Sadly though, despite this thread and in game warnings, I bet his plan to steal does work and he gets something from someone. If anyone plans to be on for an extended period then perhaps they can plant a renamed packy or something there warning of the scam.
That kind of went right over you head didn't it.
tack
tak/
verb
gerund or present participle: tacking
fasten or fix in place with tacks.

SAILING
change course by turning a boat's head into and through the wind.

The word is TAKING as in to TAKE not tack.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
HA lol well this thread worked.....thanks to the diligence of our community! :)

Closed.jpg

I was going to leave him some *Submissions* but it looks like I was too late ;)

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
HA lol well this thread worked.....thanks to the diligence of our community! :)

View attachment 59410

I was going to leave him some *Submissions* but it looks like I was too late ;)
He's tried twice now. Somehow I don't think it'll be the last try. I want to talk with Captn Norrington and Nails first, to make sure they agree, but I'm at the point now where not only has this person earned himself a permanent ban from all Hidden Valley auctions, but I'm strongly in favor of him being given a ban from all fest auctions as well. Behaviour this egregious hasn't been seen since the thefts on Pacific 5 or 6 years ago.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He's tried twice now. Somehow I don't think it'll be the last try. I want to talk with Captn Norrington and Nails first, to make sure they agree, but I'm at the point now where not only has this person earned himself a permanent ban from all Hidden Valley auctions, but I'm strongly in favor of him being given a ban from all fest auctions as well. Behaviour this egregious hasn't been seen since the thefts on Pacific 5 or 6 years ago.
While I agree with you that this is a totally despicable it is sad to say that this is not against UOs rules of scamming and to have Stratics step in and take action against this person IMHO should not be allowed. You have every right to ignore this person in your auctions as does and person posting sells/auctions but having stratics step in is going down that slippery slope.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
While I agree with you that this is a totally despicable it is sad to say that this is not against UOs rules of scamming and to have Stratics step in and take action against this person IMHO should not be allowed. You have every right to ignore this person in your auctions as does and person posting sells/auctions but having stratics step in is going down that slippery slope.
Stratics is not "stepping in". BrianFreud and Captn Norrington are acting in their capacity as Fest runners, not as Stratics staff, in considering banning anyone from fests or their own auctions. Nails Warstein is not a Stratics staff member. Stratics itself does not intervene in in-game disputes.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Yes; I am speaking here, and in other rares fest posts, in my capacity as co-auction-host for the festival. In that regard, we reserve every right to take such actions as we feel are required to protect the attendees of the festival.

We are volunteers; we do not charge any fee for running the auctions. Everyone is always been welcome to submit items to the auctions, or to bid in the auctions. However, in the rare cases where someone goes as far beyond the norms of the community as has been documented here, we reserve the right to ban that person from participating in the auctions entirely.

Not to put too fine a point on it, sending me extremely profane ICQs, as did this individual after I posted about the first fake auction house, doesn't impress me, but I generally ignore it.

Actively setting up false auction houses that intentionally replicate the look of official auction houses,setting up false auction item submission mailboxes and spamming in Luna and in general chat that you are taking item submissions for the official fest auctions, while gating to those same mailboxes, impersonating fest staff, these are all actions that cannot be ignored, for the safety of the community at large.

The responsible individual's identity is beyond question, due to his posts on a bulleting board he has added to the first house, and his comments made at the second house which referenced statements from that same set of ICQs. It is the same individual who was responsible for both houses.

I will not name this individual here, due to Stratics rules. However, having now consulted with Captn Norrington, as well as with Nails, he is now banned from all festival auctions, either as item submitter, or as a bidder. Any bids placed by this individual will be deleted without notice.

Last edited: