• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

CASTLE IDOC ON CHESAPEAKE - FALLEN

G

The buildings don't *spawn* checks, Connor. All the gold in the game is in the game already.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Actually, I've seen several times right here on the boards where people have pulled out 100's of millions in checks that had been stored at these houses, so again, if it's happened that many times right here, how many times has it happened with people that don't post on Stratics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Connor do you believe everything people tell you? I have been doing IDOCs a long time and let me tell you the ones where you get 50 million from a few and far between let alone the ones where hundreds of millions are lieing around. I won't say that the majority of hoses fall without someone around, but I will say that probably 25% do. I will also tell you that 80% of the ones that are attended have absolutely nothing or less than a million, and as the gold increases the percentage decreases. I have been doing IDOCs consistently for the last three years and maybe 4 or 5 with over 100 million pull. You can hit big but most of the time you will strike out. As far as this castle fall there is no doubt in my mind that all those things that person found were in that castle...were they all in the same chest....

G

Interesting thoughts .. i to have made all my uo gold via idocs or placing at fallers and selling stuff i find at a shop ....but like others have stated the gold is in the game.. its not like its being printed every time theres a faller.. and it would be sad to see true rares going pooooof.... 95% of fallers are crap... but the 5% they are good tend to be good!!!

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

The buildings don't *spawn* checks, Connor. All the gold in the game is in the game already.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do believe I'm well aware of that. I'm also aware that people use their houses to store checks, and if the houses didn't drop their contents on the ground, that gold would leave the game.

G

<blockquote><hr>

aware that people use their houses to store checks,

[/ QUOTE ] Not to the degree you are thinking of.

<blockquote><hr>

if the houses didn't drop their contents on the ground, that gold would leave the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
The small amount of gold that would decay wouldn't put a dent in today's economy.

Think about it this way...
That gold has technically been out of the game for at least 90 days anyway each and every time due to house decay rules. Notice a huge change in the economy of the game because of that? No. Notice a huge change in the economy after someone picked up those checks off of the ground 90 days later? No.

C

Connor_Graham

Notice a huge change in the economy with IDOC's continuously being recycled after 10 years?

I'd think so, especially considering that we've got 2 billionaires from it just in this thread alone.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Notice a huge change in the economy with IDOC's continuously being recycled after 10 years?

I'd think so, especially considering that we've got 2 billionaires from it just in this thread alone.

[/ QUOTE ]
They got their gold from selling things they got in idocs and/or the placement of houses in the empty spots, not picking up gold checks that were pooped out of fallen houses.
Why are you being so hard headed about this?

C

Connor_Graham

I'm not being hard headed. You're just missing my point here and focusing solely on "checks". My OP said:

"How much gold, resources, etc would leave the economy on a regular basis"

Which includes EVERYTHING from an IDOC, not just checks. I'd just used checks as an example because I'd recalled several times where people had stated that some of the houses that had fallen had quite a few millions worth of checks in them.

Let's use Valorite ingots instead. How many hundreds of thousands (even millions possibly, who knows) of Valorite ingots have been recycled back into the economy, being placed on player vendors for sale, creating an "easy" way for another player to obtain Valorite? The player that needs the ingots would just go farm the gold for the ingots instead of mining them up themselves, thus bringing more gold into the economy instead of resources that would then be used instead of being sold. We all know how much easier it is to make the gold to buy 60k Valorite ingots than to actually dig them up, so of course a player would go for the gold farming over the mining, especially considering the randomization of ores.

G

With all due respect, he has a point.

Since dropped goods/gold come from someone who has left the game, they increase the average items per person for those remaining in the game. For all practical purposes, IDOCs are an input of goods and compete in the economy with people who are going out and hunting/harvesting. I think debating the words "spawn" and "sink" are splitting hairs here.

(however, since I haven't ever been present to see an IDOC fall, it's far too easy for me to be envious ... I respect that they are a unique and important part of UO)

G

Helloooo! Are none of you listening to the words that are coming out of my mouth? It is a LOT of work and time in IDOCing, and nost of it is for naught!! Houses with million gold checks lieing around are infrequent. Houses with thousands of Valorite ingots are down right rare. The majority of peeps keep their gold checks in the bank, or ths more organized ones keep them on Vendors. Again you only hear of the very few successful IDOC finds, you do not hear about the 95 other ones they had to sit thru that had absolutley NOTHING! Imagine sitting waiting for a Keep to fall and when it does the only thing you find is one fish steak...I have done it. Think of it this way Connor, you are an average player, what is the value of the items in your house? Ten million? Twenty million? If it is then you have ABOVE average value in your house, you can believe that or not, but it is the truth.

C

Connor_Graham

You're missing the point that I brought up about IDOC's over the course of years, not just what's happened recently.

"Think of it this way Connor, you are an average player, what is the value of the items in your house? Ten million? Twenty million? If it is then you have ABOVE average value in your house, you can believe that or not, but it is the truth. "

Actually way above even that. Somewhere in triple digit millions would be more accurate.

G

You're not going to convince people who do not do IDOCs on a regular basis anything different. Apparently all of these houses are packed full of rare resources and gold checks.
YOU (and I.. and my friends..) just aren't going to the right IDOCs.

Really folks, most people who quit and let their houses fall don't have very much to brag about... and those that do have goods usually give the useful items away to friends before they quit.
It's a lucky day to go to a couple of idocs and grab a few vet rewards or whispering roses. Seriously.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Actually way above even that. Somewhere in triple digit millions would be more accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Than you are an above average houshold in UO.

<blockquote><hr>

You're missing the point that I brought up about IDOC's over the course of years, not just what's happened recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not missing the point, I am telling you that your assumption is incorrect. Think about this with the most recent bannings --not the Luna fires-- they said 15 Trillion gold was taken out of the game, that was gold not items. Did you notice any change in the economy afterwards? Notice any change in the economy after the Luna Fires? In the 8 plus years I have played this game the two things that haveimpacted the game/economy the most are Xsharding and if you think about it the increase in the drop rate of Doom Artifacts. IDOCs have little or no impact on the economics of this game, and doing away with them would kill a long established play style. Not the UO has not done such a thing before, but it is in no way necessary, and as a matter of fact would be a travesty in my opinion.

C

Connor_Graham

"It's a lucky day to go to a couple of idocs and grab a few vet rewards or whispering roses. Seriously"

And how many of those "lucky days" have there been over the course of 10 years? How many millions of resources and other "stuff" has stayed in the economy instead of quietly disappearing?

G

<blockquote><hr>

"It's a lucky day to go to a couple of idocs and grab a few vet rewards or whispering roses. Seriously"

And how many of those "lucky days" have there been over the course of 10 years? How many millions of resources and other "stuff" has stayed in the economy instead of quietly disappearing?

[/ QUOTE ]Not enough that making those items (some of historical or memorable value) disappear "quietly" would make an ounce of difference in the global economy.
I state again, items/gold are not created by IDOCs. If you have broken your leg you do not take a cold pill and expect it to fix it. (edit: even if you broke your leg because you were coughing so hard from your cold)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Houses with million gold checks lieing around are infrequent. Houses with thousands of Valorite ingots are down right rare.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh for crying out loud. How many playstyles do find million gp cheques ... EVER!

(I didn't come here to seriously call for an IDOC nerf, but when I start seeing posts like these, I begin to wonder if I should)

C

Connor_Graham

"I state again, items/gold are not created by IDOCs."

Where did I say they were?

I refer back to my Valorite example as to how IDOC's themselves can result in an increase of gold entering the economy.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I refer back to my Valorite example as to how IDOC's themselves can result in an increase of gold entering the economy.

[/ QUOTE ]
This statement is incorrect.
If you really believe that it is true there's nothing I or anyone else can say that's going to change your mind. IDOCs do not change the amount of gold entering the economy.
I give up trying to make you understand that.

G

I'm sorry but I really am going to have to disagree with you. An IDOC is an input. Logically, it's no different to the game than a great big treasure chest (whether empty, junky or otherwise). The fact that a real life person filled that treasure chest is irrelevant.

C

Connor_Graham

Let's put it in simple terms.

Someone gets something for nothing.

Someone else needs that 'something', so goes and farms the gold for it instead of going out and actually gathering that 'something' for themselves, which they would have done if the first person had not obtained it for nothing then put it up for sale.

This brings more gold into the economy than otherwise would have been there if that 'something' had not been obtained in the first place.

I don't understand how you're not getting this.

G

Aye, the egyptian grave robbers didn't bring any new gold into the economy either. It was already there. But it was effectively buried and out of circulation until they dug it up, sold it off, and made a bundle off of the newly rediscovered buried treasure.
Same thing happens with IDOCs in UO. This stuff is no longer in circulation, it is effectively out of the economy, until the IDOCers salvage it and bring it back into circulation.

Pre-IDOC the stuff is buried treasure (with no use or value since the time it was abandoned).
Post-IDOC-snag the stuff is back in circulation (some of it quite valuable and only now is it once again an active part of the UO economy).

I've echoed Connor's sentiments regarding this subject before. It would be great if this was a part of the housing changes, imho. It will also cause many, many people to be quite upset and for several different reasons.

G

Let me put this in terms you can understand. I never sit an IDOC expecting to find million gold checks. In the last year I can recollect it happening twice, and when it does I am shocked. Now if you consider that I do 4 IDOCs per week in a year that is over 200, so if you do the math 1% of IDOCs have million gold checks. If you think making them go poof would be a gold sink, well more power to ya, but I tell ya it would not even scratch the surface.

C

Connor_Graham

"If you think making them go poof would be a gold sink, well more power to ya, but I tell ya it would not even scratch the surface."

Yeah, but if you add up all the rest of the "stuff" that are in all of those houses that gets recycled back into the economy (and has been for years now), it would be more than just a "scratch".

G

I personally enjoy IDOCs. When I returned to UO recently, I got the 'remains' of a couple of medium IDOCs...what was picked over, hehe. I was able to get a couple of LRC suits out of it, runebooks, basic supplies for my newbs. I was really thankful too, really helped me get a good start. I spent alot of time running around to find those too, so I felt like I actually did something to acquire the scraps from the fall.

I'd hate to see IDOCs go away. I know it's one thing that quite a few players enjoy doing that may not agree on any other playstyle. *laughs* I've always thought it was akin to finding old treasures in an old farm house or something that was falling down, abandoned.

I'd say fix the scripting and other forms of cheating before ending things that players enjoy, like IDOCs.

F

Flanuva101

There is a house on Izumo that has at least 500m in checks locked down, although it isnt on the roof

F

Flanuva101

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I am not greedy and you can't make me be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quote of the day!

Seriously if you get nothing from an IDOC have you lost anything? Oh yeah you sat there for so long well no one twisted your arm you chose to sit there and while you were sitting did you try to find players to talk to or things to do?

Things at IDOCs are free if you get something great if you don't who cares you got along without whatever it was before you will live without it. The only people who complain about "not getting anything" are the greedy ones. You want the stuff go earn it by playing the game instead of waiting around for someone who has done the works house to fall so you can snatch all their old loot without effort...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am afraid you misunderstood my post, which was a reply to someone else's post that people SHOULD NOT gate other people to idocs.

I DID gate people to idocs on Pacific, and got called plenty of names for doing it.

I do feel that people that call other people names for gating the whole shard to an idoc are doing so out of greed, and I do no understand them and I refuse to become one of them.

Hence my statement that you quoted above.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think they call you names out of greed but rather out of frustration. Why should someone sitting at a bank get gated to an idoc if they havent put the time and effort in to run the shard to find them. IF you run the whole shard and then gate to idocs, you may not be doing it out of greed and I dont even think you do it for everyone else's benefit...you do it out of spite for everyone else.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Let's put it in simple terms.

Someone gets something for nothing.

Someone else needs that 'something', so goes and farms the gold for it instead of going out and actually gathering that 'something' for themselves, which they would have done if the first person had not obtained it for nothing then put it up for sale.

This brings more gold into the economy than otherwise would have been there if that 'something' had not been obtained in the first place.

I don't understand how you're not getting this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone gets something for nothing or no one does, you can't have it both ways. People don't just log in and find idoc loot in their backpacks anymore than resources or gold. You can't call someone gathering resources anymore work than someone getting resources at an IDOC. You're putting a value on one persons time and work and none on the others.

Over the course of a couple years I deleted probably 90+% of the items from IDOCs. Stuff even the RPers of my server didn't want for free. Mostly it's all furniture, bad armor, bad weapons, bad jewelry, and misc junk that isn't worth the time to throw on a vendor or even say 'vendor sell'. Funny enough a lot of the items that are in the 10% to keep or sell are things the original owner didn't work for either, simply gifts from EA.

By all means let some guy go farm monsters to get gold to buy from the IDOC hunter. That would be a breath of fresh air when compared to the majority of the gold in circulation has never seen a dead monsters corpse in it's entire history. Most gold in the economy was created by one of the dozen dupes in UO's history. Remember when 1 mil would fetch what was it? $40 per mil on a regular shard or on SP it was around $100 per mil? Then all of the sudden prices started dropping dramatically and it's now currently at about $1.50 per mil. Quite of difference and it wasn't because more dragons were being slain or phat IDOC lewts entered the economy.

G

<blockquote><hr>

There is a house on Izumo that has at least 500m in checks locked down, although it isnt on the roof

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have two castles with well over that just in chests along with walls lined with checks and deeds one account was not enough that is what the game is all about work, trade, collect ,sell convert into cash swim in the gold lol weeeeee
Then there is PvP eeerrrmmm!

J

Justy

I really have to agree with Connor on this point. After 10 years of UO there's a ton of items that have built up over time. It would be beneficial if some of that stuff moved on out of the economy. If UO economy has a tremendous flaw is that items rarely break or get honestly destroyed. Only weapons and armor have durability and its a pithy factor at that. In real life there are wars, natural disasters, fires, floods etc which have destroyed a great many beautiful and mundane things. Rare and crafted items leave the economy. That's what makes the truly surviving artifacts an increased rarity.

P

Paris_Hilton

"I'd hate to see IDOCs go away."

That is a silly thing to say.

If UO became the popular game of the day and the land was full of returning players and brand new players who all got houses and never quit UO,

THEN IDOCS WOULD GO AWAY.

And that'd be the BEST DAMNED THING TO HAPPEN TO UO IN A LONG, LONG TIME.

C

Connor_Graham

"Did you notice any change in the economy afterwards?"

Actually, yes. The ingot market has changed dramatically. VERY dramatically.

"IDOCs have little or no impact on the economics of this game"

This we're not going to agree on. All of the Whispering Roses and AoS clothing that are still in the game after being "rescued" from IDOC's are even more proof of that. If you can't understand by now that the gold that is used to buy these (and everything else that comes from IDOC's) every time they changed hands originally came from someone farming monsters (aside from dupes that's pretty much where ALL large quantities of gold comes from) then nothing else I can say will change your mind.

"doing away with them would kill a long established play style."

Yes it would, and note that I never said once that I wanted to see it gone. I merely wondered how much different the economy would be if houses were simply to go *poof*.

G

<blockquote><hr>

"I'd hate to see IDOCs go away."

That is a silly thing to say.

If UO became the popular game of the day and the land was full of returning players and brand new players who all got houses and never quit UO,

THEN IDOCS WOULD GO AWAY.

And that'd be the BEST DAMNED THING TO HAPPEN TO UO IN A LONG, LONG TIME.

[/ QUOTE ]

SCORE!!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

"Did you notice any change in the economy afterwards?"

Actually, yes. The ingot market has changed dramatically. VERY dramatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

The change in ingot and lumber pricing is directly related to the randomization of resource gathering incorporated in the game, not the dismissal of one vendor who primarily was invested in high end ruinics.

<blockquote><hr>

This we're not going to agree on. All of the Whispering Roses and AoS clothing that are still in the game after being "rescued" from IDOC's are even more proof of that. If you can't understand by now that the gold that is used to buy these (and everything else that comes from IDOC's) every time they changed hands originally came from someone farming monsters (aside from dupes that's pretty much where ALL large quantities of gold comes from) then nothing else I can say will change your mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are worried about Whispering Roses and AOS clothing being kept in the game? If you believe that items of these types have ANY impact on the game then you really do not understand the economy of the game at all.

As has been said before, the mojority of the items that are gathered from IDOCs are garbage and find their way to the decay pile anyway. You really need to do a few IDOCs so that you can understand what you are talking about. this is not meant to be nasty in anyway, more a challenge to you and all the others who are talking about things that you really do not understand.

C

Connor_Graham

"The change in ingot and lumber pricing is directly related to the randomization of resource gathering incorporated in the game, not the dismissal of one vendor who primarily was invested in high end ruinics."

Obviously you didn't look too closely at his stock of ingots for sale. Strange that prices and demand changed almost immediately AFTER his houses were gone, along with the millions (yes, millions) of ingots he had for sale. Ingot prices had remained stagnant until his house went up in flames.

"You are worried about Whispering Roses and AOS clothing being kept in the game? "

Did I say I was worried about them? No, I didn't. They were merely another example of yet another game item that comes from IDOC's that people farm gold from monsters for in order to buy them.

"If you believe that items of these types have ANY impact on the game then you really do not understand the economy of the game at all. "

If you DON'T believe that these items have an impact on the economy, well then, right back atcha.

"You really need to do a few IDOCs so that you can understand what you are talking about"

I have done several, and while most of what was found WAS junk, what was left was still worth quite a bit, just from resources alone (and I found that raw resources in one form or another were a commonality between all of the houses). Multiply that over 10 years worth of houses falling and getting recycled and I think you'll come up with a pretty hefty number.

G

When I said I'd hate to see IDOCs go away, I meant I wouldn't want the ability to do IDOCs taken away.

I would be very happy if we saw more players in our lands and fewer decaying houses. So if IDOCs were to stop because of an increasing playerbase, I certainly wouldn't mind.

I just wouldn't want IDOCs to be discontinued all together.

G

I knew his stock well as I play multiple shards and the price of resources had been steadily climbing long before his banning/burning. Another thing that you need to look at to affect the price of resources is at the exact same time that he was banned and his stock removed from the game the Ruinic changes were incorporated into the game. So again there are more factors than one persons dismissal, and besides he was not an IDCOer but a scripter.

As far as Whispering roses and AOS clothing again a non factor in the economy of the game. If you want I have about 500 roses that you can have for 25k per and you see if you can have an impact on the economy with them.

And to this:

<blockquote><hr>

Multiply that over 10 years worth of houses falling and getting recycled and I think you'll come up with a pretty hefty number.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let go of the 10 year thing already! If someone had been collecting and saving all the resources collected from IDOCs in the last 10 years I would give you that, but an IDOCer as things are collected they are immediatley returned to the economy! Also one final point for resources. A True IDOCer, unless he is placing is not even gonna concern himself with the resources because they are jut too difficult to collect and not valuable enough to worry with! When I am at an IDOC I am looking for million plus items, all the rest to me is trash and takes up space that I do not have.

C

Connor_Graham

"an IDOCer as things are collected they are immediatley returned to the economy!"

And IDOC'd again and immediately returned to the economy.

Each time fresh gold has to be obtained to repurchase all of this same "stuff".

THAT is my point.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you are saying is that IDOCs are a gold sink...thank you

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh no, exactly the opposite. IDOC's are a gold generator. I can't see how on earth you could twist what I wrote to even come close to that.

R

RedOrDead

rtlfc

IDOCs made me and my partner rich - and we weren't that good at them. You can sell most things on a vendor and if not then to the npcs - sneeze not at the money that generates.

IDOCing is hard work - easier if split between members of a guild but it is far more lucarative than pvm

Note Jack Flash recently sold an account for £400 ($800) consisting of 18*18 placed from idoc and loot gathered via idocing

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh no, exactly the opposite. IDOC's are a gold generator. I can't see how on earth you could twist what I wrote to even come close to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

So... if IDOCs disappeared from existance people would stop farming monsters and making gold coins. Oh ok. That makes sense.

C

Connor_Graham

Wow. That was a hell of an exaggeration.

No, they wouldn't stop farming monsters, that's part of the game, but they would stop farming for the EXTRA to buy things from an IDOC, or would farm their own resources instead of farming EXTRA gold to buy them.

I've already gone over this. You might want to go back and read it again.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Wow. That was a hell of an exaggeration.

[/ QUOTE ]So is:
<blockquote><hr>

farming for the EXTRA to buy things from an IDOC,

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

Coords: 11-36 N, 36-50 W

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think I said this anywhere yet ... thank you posting this so that everyone who doesn't normally encounter/notice an IDOC had a chance to check out what the experience was like.

M

MYUO

Player will farm monsters and buy stuff. Without IDOC, many items will become more expensive. That will encourage players to farm more so that they can buy them. Only for some players will be motivated by the higher prices to gather some of the resources.

One thing for sure, IDOC makes old items a lot cheaper. Comparing to dupes/exploits, the gold recovered from IDOC is very insignificant.

G

I can't believe his whole concern is people farming monsters for gold to buy IDOC stuff. Seriously. For every 1 mil ever farmed I bet at LEAST 500 mil was duped at one point in time...

Not to mention the fact a lot of people would rather just pay $1.50 for a mil than sit there and farm for it. Hmm, work for an hour and buy 5 Mil or farm for an hour and get 1 mil. What do you think people with a job and limited time to play would choose?

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

LOL, Pacific will be interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know if you need any supplies.....hehe....

F

Flanuva101

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

LOL, Pacific will be interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know if you need any supplies.....hehe....

[/ QUOTE ]

Been set up there for a few months now, based in twin 18x18's outside Umbra, just havent had extra time to spend. Looking forward to it though....Like I said...should be interesting.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

--not the Luna fires-- they said 15 Trillion gold was taken out of the game, that was gold not items. Did you notice any change in the economy afterwards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ornament of Magician went from 65-70M per to 40M per within days of 15 trillion gold deletion. That is bit of an impact