• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Carpenters: What on Earth to do with medium crates?

ziggy29

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Working on new carpenter, skill is now 39.

Looks like the only decent thing for me to build now is medium crates until my skill gets higher.

But what do I do with these things? I don't need that many of them and no one wants to buy them that I can find. And there doesn't seem to be a way to recycle the boards for other uses.

Are medium crates just a lot of killed trees for nothing other than a hoop to jump through before you can build other things? I looked through the FAQs and, unlike tailoring and smithing and such, I see nothing about what to do with unwanted junk lower-level carpenters build.

K

Kallie Pigeon

Axe them all? If you have tinkering you can sell the keys to an npc provisioner (or some other npc). You could get a talisman to raise your skill to where you can make sheilds and then sell the shields.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Littering the landscape with crates I hear. Wasting wood is all that be.

Get a talisman of various levels like +10 and +20 and then you can adjust what you make as you go through this process. The talismans are ML quests in the heartwood. Maybe you can make things to turn in there and get various recipes for a carpenter good loot to unravel.

http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/carpentry.php

Use the link to adjust with and without the talisman and try to keep your success chance in the sweet spot. I think the sweet spot is below 60% success in many cases. If you don't know what is the sweet there is a quest in Ter Mur to get a globe that will tell you. You may not want the talisman with exceptional chance, but it could also help in some cases.

At your level you can add a +20 talisman and make gargish shields or kegs or maybe other things useful. Maybe there will be things you can sell to npc's or other players. Don't limit yourself by using the methods that old fogies have used in years past to "macro" their way to the top and wrote in various pages of stratics "how to get to the top in your profession". You can make a living at carpentry I hear and not waste a toothpick.

-Lorax

ziggy29

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get a talisman of various levels like +10 and +20 and then you can adjust what you make as you go through this process. The talismans are ML quests in the heartwood. Maybe you can make things to turn in there and get various recipes for a carpenter good loot to unravel.

http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/carpentry.php

Use the link to adjust with and without the talisman and try to keep your success chance in the sweet spot. I think the sweet spot is below 60% success in many cases.
I have a talisman from a Heartwood quest that gave me +14% in carp and +16% in exceptional carp... but my understanding is that you still have to have the minimum unmodified skill to make things; so if a widget took 48 carp skill to make, you need 48 unmodified and even an unmodified 47 with +14% talisman won't help you. But having 48 unmodified acts like 62, while 47 still acts like 47 for that craftable item.

And that's the thing: Until the high 40s the only blasted thing I see that I can make with less than almost 100% certainty is the medium crate.

Is my understanding wrong? Even with the talisman equipped I'm not seeing anything but a 0.0% chance to do anything above a medium crate.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a talisman from a Heartwood quest that gave me +14% in carp and +16% in exceptional carp... but my understanding is that you still have to have the minimum unmodified skill to make things; so if a widget took 48 carp skill to make, you need 48 unmodified and even an unmodified 47 with +14% talisman won't help you. But having 48 unmodified acts like 62, while 47 still acts like 47 for that craftable item.

And that's the thing: Until the high 40s the only blasted thing I see that I can make with less than almost 100% certainty is the medium crate.

Is my understanding wrong? Even with the talisman equipped I'm not seeing anything but a 0.0% chance to do anything above a medium crate.
Hmm. That sounds right too. I think the minimum skill check may look at the real value. I haven't made many characters from scratch in more than 5 years (except for imbuing) so hard to remember all those things, but I think you are right.

-Lorax

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thats correct ziggy!
For a talisman to give a base CRAFTING bonus, you have to be at least the minimum skill to make the item. Most skills start out at 50% when you can first make an item, except for Blacksmithing and making cloth Gargoyle Armor for Tailoring, which start at 0.0%.

On the other hand, the EXCEPTIONAL bonus applies, whether you can make an item exceptional already or not, as the chance to craft exceptional is equal to your normal crafting chance - 60% at skill under 95, normal - 45% at 100%, with a weird thing going on between 95-100 to slowly change over between the two. This means that a negative chance to make exceptional (displaying as 0) can be raised to a positive number with a talisman.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you don't know what is the sweet there is a quest in Ter Mur to get a globe that will tell you.
-Lorax
I did a quick search and couldn't find any information about this quest, which sounds like a good one to do. Which npc in Ter Mur offers the quest?

Thanks!

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did a quick search and couldn't find any information about this quest, which sounds like a good one to do. Which npc in Ter Mur offers the quest?

Thanks!
Go to Ter Mur and in front of the Alchemist shop is Ortlem the Mystic. Take the "A Mystic's Journey" Quest. You will need 100 Dragon's Blood and 100 Daemon Bone to receive the Crystal Ball of Knowledge.

Turn it on by double clicking and select ok to activate or ok to deactivate.

Perform a task that does a skill check and these messages will appear (imbuing in my case):

100% success chance - Imbuing Difficulty : Too Easy
80% success chance - Imbuing Difficulty : Easy
59% success chance - Imbuing Difficulty : Optimal

and some others based on your chance to get a skill gain.

It works like this:
http://www.uoguide.com/Skill_Tutor_Statuette

I used it for imbuing and it was useful to show me the light. It should help with any skill and I don't know what the variance in "optimal" is for other skills. I'm certain optimal does vary though.

-Lorax

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cool beans - thanks Lorax! I'm pretty sure I already have plenty of the quest items in storage already.

Woohoo! (and sorry for slightly hijacking the thread) :sad3:

Go to Ter Mur and in front of the Alchemist shop is Ortlem the Mystic. Take the "A Mystic's Journey" Quest. You will need 100 Dragon's Blood and 100 Daemon Bone to receive the Crystal Ball of Knowledge.

Turn it on by double clicking and select ok to activate or ok to deactivate.

Perform a task that does a skill check and these messages will appear (imbuing in my case):

100% success chance - Imbuing Difficulty : Too Easy
80% success chance - Imbuing Difficulty : Easy
59% success chance - Imbuing Difficulty : Optimal

and some others based on your chance to get a skill gain.

It works like this:

I used it for imbuing and it was useful to show me the light. It should help with any skill and I don't know what the variance in "optimal" is for other skills. I'm certain optimal does vary though.

-Lorax

ziggy29

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It works like this:

Interesting. I don't know that I have any characters ready for the quest for the globe, but I did just take my pure mage character back to fight the Dark Knight for the first time, and I got the Skill Tutor Statuette on the first try (easy once I got an EV to surround him and I peppered him with constant energy bolts until victory was mine), which (according to UOGuide) is quite rarely given out. It's blessed, so I try to remember to put it in a secured box in my house before logging out with one character and grabbing it when I log on the next, at least if I'm going to be working on skill gain.

Carpentry up to 42 now. At least the statuette tells me the medium crates are "optimal" for skill gain, but it will be nice when I can build something I can easily use or sell.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting. I don't know that I have any characters ready for the quest for the globe, but I did just take my pure mage character back to fight the Dark Knight for the first time, and I got the Skill Tutor Statuette on the first try (easy once I got an EV to surround him and I peppered him with constant energy bolts until victory was mine), which (according to UOGuide) is quite rarely given out. It's blessed, so I try to remember to put it in a secured box in my house before logging out with one character and grabbing it when I log on the next, at least if I'm going to be working on skill gain.

Carpentry up to 42 now. At least the statuette tells me the medium crates are "optimal" for skill gain, but it will be nice when I can build something I can easily use or sell.
If you can cast blade spirits, you can do the Globe quest with some creative hunting. If you can cast EV's reliably, you can do it in your sleep, and pretty much all in one area (just outside of Kings Tomb) - also, unless it's changed in the last few patches, the quest is repeatable, so if you are so inclined, you can do it multiple times and each character can have one.

K

Kallie Pigeon

The guide says you can get demon bones off ortanord. I have killed several of them and got absolutely no loot. Do they actually have loot? I get no gain in karma or fame and no loot .......nothing so I let them go since they are diffficult to kill. All the other ords have loot...even Kopre has occaisionally a void orb. Or could it be that I am killing them by the toxic slith spawn and others have gotten the looting rights without killing it?

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wasn't there a place you could buy the reagents? I looked at the mystic and necromancer in Umbra.

-Lorax
You might be thinking Demon Blood, a necro reg, and regular bones, which are mysticism regs now. Dragon blood drops on the majority of overland spawn in Ter Mur, as well as the winged critters elsewhere (well, not drop, per se, but once you skin them, then the blood is on the corpse). Demon bones drop from the various demons in Ter Mur and the Abyss as well (and probably elsewhere - just easier overland).

K

Kallie Pigeon

Dragons blood and demon bones are mysticism reagents and I think I saw them for sale from the mystic that stands in front of the mage shop in Ter Mur. If you are on Pacific I can get you some.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dragons blood and demon bones are mysticism reagents and I think I saw them for sale from the mystic that stands in front of the mage shop in Ter Mur. If you are on Pacific I can get you some.
He only sells regular bones and fertile dirt - not the daemon bones or dragons blood. Although he (and the other 2 mysticism vendors) have made my life as a tailor and gardener a lot easier.

If the dragon blood and daemon bones are for sale on an NPC, I'd sure like to find them - otherwise, mysticism would be a pain in the tuckus without 100% LRC...

And I have rolled this guy and both of his compatriots to 999 on all the reagents they sell - I'm positive they don't sell the other 2.

Attachments

K

Kallie Pigeon

He only sells regular bones and fertile dirt - not the daemon bones or dragons blood. Although he (and the other 2 mysticism vendors) have made my life as a tailor and gardener a lot easier.

If the dragon blood and daemon bones are for sale on an NPC, I'd sure like to find them - otherwise, mysticism would be a pain in the tuckus without 100% LRC...

And I have rolled this guy and both of his compatriots to 999 on all the reagents they sell - I'm positive they don't sell the other 2.
Sorry yeah I checked it out. He was trying to buy them from me ...Oh well Oh and he is the one for the quest to get the globe. LOL

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're right, my mistake. I'll edit the guide. Ortanords and korpre very occasionally have the rare drops, but no daemon bones.