• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

cantilevering possible ?

• Thread starter imperterritus
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imperterritus

Last week I got my first ever customizable house. I'm planning on remodeling it, including replotting it from a 15x15 2-story to a 15x15 3-story (or bigger if it fits).

An image is in my head of a cantilevered design. Imagine a 12x12 walled area in back, with a 3-wide patio along the 2 facing sides. The cantilevering would occur with the second story being the full 15x15 area. I.e, the second story overhangs the patio area. Is this doable?

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty sure it isn't possible, after a certain number of unsupported floortiles you won't be able to place any more and commit the design.

T

Teeshy

You just have to make sure you put sufficient "verandah posts" for support =)

My house design in pretty much the bottom two floors an open garden, with just wall supports around the outside edges, then a full floored/walled area on the third floor =)

I

imperterritus

I got it:

* Number One Rock Place

I'm not done yet, but I think it's a good start. :) As you can see in the picture, you can overhang upper floors above lower ones, just as Teeshy assured me. (Thanks; without that encouragement, I probably would have given up.)

The trick is to have a support at least every two tiles along the outside edge(s). Curiously, even though there are 3 tiles between the supports and the inner walls, no other support was needed.

My goal was to avoid a "big square box" house. So in addition to the 3-wide patio, you can see I left a 2x2 cutout on the 2nd floor, and a 1x1 cutout on the 3rd. I let the roof occupy it's full natural space, which you cannot see in the picture.

Now if I can just figure out where the darn windows are in the Customize gump ... ;)

T

Treacy

Windowed wall panels are in the walls section of the gump. Just click the red "X" next to the arrow (along the top of the customization window) and if windows are available they will be shown in the gump.

T

Teeshy

Looks good so far! =D

You don't need to have the posts so close together if you don't want them either =) Just each corner I think =)

*waits to post to go test it*

Yup! Just the corners ought to work, tried it out in construction mode =)

Bottom floor

Next floor

My house ended up *kinda* being a big blocky square, but when you're in the bottom floor it doesn't feel like it =) I put walls all around the outside, cos I just liked the idea of the wood highlighting the whole garden feel of the bottom =) I still am not that fond of the top two floors, but I can't find the right "feel" for them yet =)

bottom bit

top bit

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have to have some support, but it requires very little, so while not true cantilevering perhaps you can get away with a lot to have structures that really wouldn't work in the real world. I have done several designs where an upper floor overhangs open areas below or portions of the building which are substantially smaller than the upper floor. The most problematic tile I have found to be able to commit with "minimal" support is the southeast corner.

While not specifically what you are describing, here is a design I made for someone that has a full upper floor with open middle ones just to show you how little support you can get away with for the top that covers nearly the entire plot. I made the substantial looking inner pillars because they looked nice as well as ensuring all my tiles committed above.

My own house, which I don't seem to have any pics of, looks something like a big Borg cube from the outside, but it has upper floors the full size of the plot minus one tile row I think, while the ground floor has a very large open porch the length of the plot where you approach the house. I only used a couple of strategically placed pillars in front, the walls of the building under the overhang actually do most of the support for the floor above.

I also made a sort of reverse tiered pagoda for someone where the top of the pagoda was wider than the bottom. It had more of those post supports showing than I liked, but overall the design was kinda neat.

-Skylark

I

imperterritus

Ok, that's just weird. On first build, the house would not commit until I had supports every other tile. You guys showed me that this wasn't actually necessary, and I deleted most of the supports. And you were right, the house did commit. :)

BTW, you guys have some great-looking places. It will be a while before I can get that level of sophistication, if ever.