• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Can't enhance shield from treasure chest

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I pulled a shield out of a treasure chest and while it is nothing amazing, it is a decent shield. So I grabbed some valo ignots and tried to enhance the thing.

I expected to just destroy it, but instead I get the message that it is already enhanced. Which it isn't.

What's up with that? Known bug? Should I smelt it, to see what kind of metal I get out of it?

Attachments

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Simple question, simple answer...

Antique items can't be enhanced.

There's a lot of antique stuff I would have enhanced, despite their shorter length of use, if I could.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh! That's a shame, but thanks for the answer!

Do you know if this is working as intended or a bug?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As intended for the ORIGINAL version of antique.

Originally, you could buy "antique" items from the wisp outside Trammel Despise, as part of the point system for that dungeon after its revamp.

The original version of "Antique" was that it counted time you spent in combat (how, I'm not exactly sure - it was more complicated than simply being in War mode), and after a certain amount of time of combat, the item poofed, even if in full repair. In that instance, it was obvious why you shouldn't enhance it.

However, with the full loot revamp, Antique got changed to a set of repair limits. Antique items, even if they damage easier, are now actually worth enhancing - But they left the "no enhance" code in. I believe they justified it because of some of the materials adding durability, but that was really short-sighted of them, and thinking like it was 1999, not 2014. Letting antique items be enhanced would be a drop in the bucket. Not letting them be enhanced makes them undesirable for most people.

Of course, the stupidest thing I hear are people with multiple platinum in the bank saying that "prized" items are worthless because their insurance costs. Maybe worthless for someone like me that has rarely had as much as 50 million gold in the bank, but the hyper-rich I hear making that statement could put a suit on of only prized items on, insure it, and die a thousand times without noticing the money drop.